JeffB

The Jaunts of JeffB!

On 12/28/2018 at 8:56 PM, Mr. X said:

Lookin good Jeff!  I especially like the coat!

Thanks for the kind words! Speaking of coats, check out what I sported below:

Jaunt #479, 12/29/2018: The last time I had been to the King of Prussia Mall was two weeks ago and the place was hustling and bustling and was even more crowded than usual, what with scores of people shopping for Christmas gifts and kids eager to spend some quality time with Santa. Four days after the holiday, while there wasn’t the quite the same level of hustle and bustle, the place was still crowded as I went there on an outing, garbed a black quilted coat from Sears over a black turtleneck, the 15 inch distressed denim miniskirt, black tights, a black satchel bag and my newest acquisition from Payless, the “Waylan” ankle boots in taupe. While the boots sported four inch heels (a height I rarely wear these days), the block style made them stable, easy to stand and walk in, and although the boots weren’t in wide width, they were still comfortable. By the by, several years ago, I wasn’t old on wearing ankle boots, today, they’re my go to style in fall and winter, easy to pair with skirts, dresses and now leggings.

I arrived at the mall shortly after eleven and strolled right in, I got a couple of second glances, but nothing more as I went about my business, which included buying the newest comics at the comic book store after tearing myself away from Captain America: The Winter Soldier which was playing a TV on a wall in the rear of the store. After swinging by a retro record (as in LP) store which had loads of vinyl, both new and old, it was off to the food court for lunch which was almost a full house as I bought a six inch turkey sandwich and a bottle of water from Subway. After my meal, I went to nearby Primark where I bought a couple of long sweaters I figure will go well with my leggings, my latest fashion passion, spending just over twenty bucks, not too bad. What I enjoy most about being at KOP, even more than actual shopping is just wandering through the mall to see and be seen, to take in the sights and the atmosphere of the place, and even when I don’t spend all that much money, it’s still great fun to be there. As for being seen, I still remember how nervous I was about wearing a miniskirt in public, mainly because of how self conscious I felt, and the notion of sitting in the damn thing and having it ride up on me made it a nonstarter back then, but today, I love wearing short skirts and showing off my long legs, hell, I didn’t care about having the mini ride up when I sat while at the mall, it was no big deal.

I wound up spending some three hours at KOP which included a stop at Old Navy where I bought a nice scarf, something that would definitely come in handy with winter having just settled in and many cold days to come where I could put it to good use. While wearing a short skirt in the dead of winter might not be too terribly smart (at least ninety-five percent of the girls and women I saw at the mall wore jeans, pants or leggings), it’s still great fun, as long as you properly insulate yourself from the elements, you can nice and warm. More to come....

Jaunt #479, outfit-1.jpg

Jaunt #479, outfit-2.jpg

waylan.jpg

• Like 2

What is the noise level on those Jeff?  I looked at those a couple times but wasn't sure about the fit, and the heels looked hard which I would assume then is rather loud.

• Like 1

Jeff nice outfit with black sweater leggings and complimentary contrasting colour heel booties. Although the quilted jacket looks very nice something with the denim skirt is at odds with the outer outfit. Don’t get me wrong the denim skirt works well by itself with said sweater but  fabric  texture of denim looks all to casual. Seeing the black quilted jacket is nylon the skirt fabric is apparent. Suggest you wear same mini skirt but in a different fabric would go well giving a more casual yet sophisticated appearance. You could have larger variety to chose burgundy, teal, colour skirt which would pop the outfit to higher level then the static denim wash. 

Often woman get bored wearing  blue denim jeans so they change outfits like you shown leggings, tunics, bootie heels. So denim skirt is not worn but shiek nylon mini skirt may improve the look with all black appeance. Even tan suede skirt would look divine matching the bootie heels. Just thought but there is a place for denim mini skirts like you shown before. Yet with the sophisticated heel block booties tend to style your outfit in casual shiek manner so the denim material is at odds at least for me initially. 

You would have more fun picking up another mini skirt matching your outfits in manner that you decide. 

867479B6-6220-4DFD-8591-B2E61978E204.jpeg

Edited by MackyHeels
  • Like 1

Sounds like you had fun again Jeff!  I am not usually a fan of much from payless, but those boots I kinda like!  Might have to check my local store to see if they have them.

• Like 1

JeffB, The overall look is OK,  but I have to agree with Macky, that your distressed look skirt, looks a bit out of place. JMO. I don't like the distressed look on denim clothing.

Glad you enjoyed wearing that combo. That's what counts!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

@JeffB - that's a really great outfit, looks excellent on you. That little mini and ankle boots - wow!

• Like 1

RonC: Well, I like my heels good and loud, and those boots filled the prescription quite nicely.

Macky: My overall goal with that skirt was for a purely casual look. I have dressier skirts but opted for a casual appearance which had been my goal for that outfit.

Mr. X: I liked those boots which also come in black, but I went with taupe as I sought to contrast with black tights which I wear regularly these days.

bluejay: At first, I was skeptical about the distressed look, but I rather like it.

Jaunt #480, 12/30/2018: As a dedicated fashion freestyler, a man who lives for and is passionate about wearing women’s clothes, I’ll try just about anything once, if but for no other reason than to see what it looks like on me and if I can make a particular item work enough to add to my wardrobe, or leave it alone. Today’s experiment was with an item of outerwear women have been wearing ever since fall rolled around....a poncho. I’ve seen women sporting all sorts of fashionable ponchos, solid colors, patterns, long, short, solid hems, fringe hems, crew neck openings, fur lined collars, all sorts of styles and that intrigued me considerably to the point where I decided I wanted to try one for myself. But, I didn’t want to spend too terribly much on an experiment, however, I did find a nice looking poncho for a mere $19.99 (before tax) from, of all places, the supermarket I regularly shop at.

With sunshine and mild temps around the mid 50's, I paired my poncho with a magenta mockneck beneath it, black velvet lined leggings, the Payless “Terri” ankle boots in black and a new purse I bought from Burlington Coat Factory a few days earlier. Feeling in the mood for a movie, I headed for my favorite multiplex, that being at Moorestown Mall, after arriving, I opted to see Vice, a dramedy (don’t know what else to call it) starring Christian Bale as Dick Cheney. The theater was pretty full, no doubt because Aquaman and the animated Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse were still packing them in, as for the movie I watched, I found it surprisingly good as Bale turned in what I thought was a  great performance as George W. Bush’s Vice-President. After the film, I weaved my way through a crowded lobby and into the mall itself which was mildly bustling, even after Christmas and strolled about, wandering into a large home goods store which I found to have been a cool looking place that had a good sized crowd in it, I even bought some odds and ends for my home office.

Leaving the mall, I swung by Barnes & Noble where I helped myself to a cup of iced tea as it wasn’t all that cool, sipping it through a straw so I didn’t mess up my lipstick while I relaxed and read the latest issue of Sports Illustrated which I bought, then headed home to watch the Eagles play Washington in their season finale. I felt my poncho experiment was successful as I liked how I looked when paired with my leggings and ankle boots. Perhaps I’ll invest in a pricier poncho for a future outing. We’ll see. More to come....

Jaunt #480, outfit-1.jpg

Jaunt #480, outfit-2.jpg

• Like 2

Jaunt #481, 12/31/2018: Needing to run some errands before New Year’s Day, I decided to turn it into an opportunity to go on a jaunt, my outfit for the day being my black faux leather jacket over a mustard yellow sweater, black velvet lined leggings, a black handbag and the Shoes of Prey “Savoca” black leather pumps with three inch heels. This marked the first time I’ve worn footwear other than boots with leggings and the change of pace made for a nice look, as for the shoes, they were comfortable with the reasonable heel height and easy to stand and walk in. A pity Shoes of Prey appears to have gone out of business because they offered very nice shoes you could have custom made in regards to style, size, heel height, colors, the whole nine yards, and at relatively decent prices. As for the leggings, I make no bones about the fact I love wearing them, I love how they look on me, making my long legs sleek and sensational.

Going west into Springfield, my first stop was to Acme for some non-frozen odds and ends, while in the bread aisle to pick up hamburger buns, I attracted the attention of a little girl, maybe six or seven who stared up at me with wide eyes, I grinned at her and she scurried off like I had suddenly grown a second head, I found that amusing. My next stop was to Bed, Bath & Beyond, a new favorite place to wander through, purchasing some microwaveable plates and bowls, dish towels and a 30 ounce aluminum travel mug to drink hot tea from at the house. Yes, I love tea, especially in fall and winter as it goes down real good on a chilly morning. I needed to buy a ream of paper for my printer as I was running low and planned to get it from Office Depot down the road, but, much to my surprise, the store had closed, so I doubled back and drove to Target where I did get a couple of stares here and there but paid no attention as I found paper and bought two reams which figures to last me quite a while. My last stop on the way back was to Best Buy, a place I can’t stay away from, given my love for all things electric and electronic, contemplated the merits of LCD sets over OLED before going to the register with a Blu-Ray copy of the recent Jennifer Garner thriller Peppermint.

Since this was my last jaunt for 2018, looking back on the year, I was amazed at my ongoing evolution as a fashion freestyler, fully integrating dresses and leggings into my wardrobe, having decided that skirts alone weren’t enough. As for shoes, I went more than a little crazy when it came to wearing sandals, both flat and heeled, a trend that figures to continue come spring and summer of this year. It should also be noted that in the ten years I’ve been doing this thread, I’ve gone from just heels with men’s clothes in the beginning to women’s clothes, shoes, jewelry, outerwear, accessories, and I’m enjoying myself greatly. More to come in 2019....

Jaunt #481, outfit-1.jpg

Jaunt #481, outfit-2.jpg

• Like 2

You are looking good in your poncho outfit!!!! Have you considered wearing thigh high boots with it in either black or a light tan? I think it looks quite good,but then again I am partial to really tall boots. Give it a try,I think you will like the results. Here's a pic for an example.

45027833_1899240050184132_2235372856563204096_n.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crotchhiguy said:

You are looking good in your poncho outfit!!!! Have you considered wearing thigh high boots with it in either black or a light tan? I think it looks quite good,but then again I am partial to really tall boots. Give it a try,I think you will like the results. Here's a pic for an example.

45027833_1899240050184132_2235372856563204096_n.jpg

Hmm! That IS an interesting looking outfit! I must just have to give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

15 hours ago, JeffB said:

Jaunt #481, 12/31/2018: Needing to run some errands before New Year’s Day, I decided to turn it into an opportunity to go on a jaunt, my outfit for the day being my black faux leather jacket over a mustard yellow sweater, black velvet lined leggings, a black handbag and the Shoes of Prey “Savoca” black leather pumps with three inch heels. This marked the first time I’ve worn footwear other than boots with leggings and the change of pace made for a nice look, as for the shoes, they were comfortable with the reasonable heel height and easy to stand and walk in. A pity Shoes of Prey appears to have gone out of business because they offered very nice shoes you could have custom made in regards to style, size, heel height, colors, the whole nine yards, and at relatively decent prices. As for the leggings, I make no bones about the fact I love wearing them, I love how they look on me, making my long legs sleek and sensational.

Jaunt #481, outfit-1.jpg

Jaunt #481, outfit-2.jpg

I think this outfit suits you well, but it has always amused me that 3 inch heels in your size are basically kitten heels. I don't know why this amuses me, really. It just does.

One thing that I am curious about, and perhaps you have addressed this before, is how do you.  .  . well, not stick out in places where one ought not to stick out?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I think this outfit suits you well, but it has always amused me that 3 inch heels in your size are basically kitten heels. I don't know why this amuses me, really. It just does.

One thing that I am curious about, and perhaps you have addressed this before, is how do you.  .  . well, not stick out in places where one ought not to stick out?

Hmm! It never occurred to me that three inchers in size 13 might interpreted as being kitten heels. You're right, that is amusing.

Meanwhile, to answer your question, I do all I can to look tasteful and appropriate for whatever environment I happen to be in, be it busy downtown streets or a crowded shopping mall, in fact, I obsess over that. I make a note to study what women wear from season to season and mimic their attire as best I can. Despite being a six foot two inch (before heels), middle aged black man wearing women's clothes, I somehow manage to blend in with my surroundings and not attract attention, mainly because I go out of my way to NOT look garish or extravagant. That's the important thing, to not draw attention to myself by not looking proper while in public.

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Funny you should mention this - not at all doubting @JeffB's heels measurements, but often the 3 or 4 inches in the pics come across here as 1 or 2" ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeremy1986 said:

Funny you should mention this - not at all doubting @JeffB's heels measurements, but often the 3 or 4 inches in the pics come across here as 1 or 2" ! 

Thats the trouble when you have a large shoe size the arch is extended so much that it becomes more of a gentle slope and makes the heel look much shorter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see what mlroseplant means. I think the same height heel would appear different in a size 8 for example. It's an optical illusion. The point is JeffB is rocking his look no matter where he goes. HinH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am one inch taller than Jeff.  I love wearing high heels but also don't want to look like some monster from the deep in my 3 inch plus heels!!  

To solve that problem, I keep my heels down to less than 3 inches, and some of the shoes actually have "kitten heels" of two inches or less.  Most all my shoes are size 11 so I imagine a two inch or less heel (especially wedgies) really isn't that noticeable after all.  I just want to wear heels and "blend in" as you seem to do Jeff.  Heels just look nicer than guys shoes.  At my height, a 6ft 3in guy in 5 inch heels coming at ya would scare the kids - as well as me !!!   ha ha....  

Have fun all.....  sf

• Like 3

Some of us happen to like kitten heels. Heels don't have to be 4-5 inches to be attractive, in my opinion. Wear whatever you like. Jeff, you look great in those Shoes of Prey pumps.

Steve

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steve63130 said:

Some of us happen to like kitten heels. Heels don't have to be 4-5 inches to be attractive, in my opinion. Wear whatever you like. Jeff, you look great in those Shoes of Prey pumps.

Steve

Agreed, Steve, both on the heel height issue and the fact that Jeff looks good in those pumps!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

As the question not answered adequately have to add my two cents of those who care to read.

In my many years of experience with this topic everyone on the board often states they enjoy wearing women's attire heels, skirts even including myself with regards to ultra skinny jeans and leggings. Yet all members state clearly  not interested in looking like a woman. Often showing pictures of there men's shirts paired with the rest of their woman onsemble. 

Feel there is double standard here. Members writing they are freestylers not cross dressers or in drag, correct? Yet find it necessary to cover up or hide what our beloved mlroseplant asking in his question  i shown above. 

Woman often garishly attire themselves for the surrounding they will be spending most of their time.  If they find black leggings is comfortable and short tank top showing there belly ring with sandals is appropriate attire in the workplace, none will argue with her style even in the dead of winter.

Yet male wearing said leggings showing his anatomy outline is regarded in bad taste frowned upon. Yet the woman in similar outfit flaunting her curves and shape is deemed proper?

So the politically correct message here on the forum with majority of members believe we as men need to show modesty when it comes to displaying our god given physique in public. Yet females do it purposely because of the design of the clothes like leggings, tight spandex dresses, corsets which makes them beautifully curved, sexy, voluptuous wonderful. So when one crazy male like myself fit, lean, wears tight outfit showing his every curve and shape it is frowned upon as indecent or must be censored? 

Often i read comments of what about the children sheltering them from observing males like myself. Children don't care it's the parents that freak out be it on the beach or pool seeing guy like myself wearing tiny swimwear. Same conclusions can be brought about the haters or disgruntled adult parents finding what i'm wearing as  jealousy, envy wishing to look as good, ashamed of themselves the way there body appears compared to me. Just like some members of the forum state woman are jealous of their heels or outfits because they wish to wear it also.

To original point many woman enjoy to express their bodies through style and fashion whatever they want to wear or there shape. So to should a man be able to wear what he wants and be judged by all positively or negatively. What we must understand is if it makes us feel good then others have no business saying it's wrong or bad. 

To answer mlroseplant question there are gaff underwear to hide those things you don't want people to see. To judge someone wearing it  at least in this forum is hypocritical because most here don't want to look like a woman but wear one anyway goes contrary to their core beliefs for the sake of who?

Do find in my experience i have modes of display of which i choose. If i wear Nulux leggings in the gym which brings out my lower physique in impressive manner i keep a high mode of curves and shape and outline displayed without incident or reprimand. In fact people commented loving my appearance men and woman admiring, impressed with me for the  bold display, telling others take a look at his body ever see someone so developed and fit drawn to observe even ones i've seen regularly.

When on the street in ultra skinny jeans the mode  of display maybe medium  dependant of my surroundings or what footwear or outerwear i be wearing. If the surrounding are conservative and heeling will be novelty or frowned upon with high degree of laughter. A High mode of display will need to be shown to distract the heeling, only the display will take  center stage. This distraction  affects people's intrigued, queries why wear such tight jeans, leggings for man to wear, some disbelieving what they are observing calling it fake unlike frequently seen individuals observing me for years or decades quitely admiring me.. While other males looking feelings of inadequate equipt in comparison, while woman being intrigued forgoing what heels or tight pants i wear. 

When wearing more baggy clothes or pants the display is low to off thus the surroundings people i'm  dealing with.

So same is true with woman wearing appropriate attire for there surrounding if they feel sexy and have the shape to display themselves accordingly then by all means none stands in there way. Let's not be hypocritical saying one thing and doing the other when it comes to our male anatomy. Don't be ashamed in looking like a man because it offends someone. Liking it to males on this forum wearing heels some people in public feel awkwardness and disgust observing freestyler male outfitted yet his display is neutralized. 

Edited by MackyHeels

7 hours ago, SF said:

I just want to wear heels and "blend in" as you seem to do Jeff.  Heels just look nicer than guys shoes.

So true.... heels are just awesome.

One thing I might add is that I normally wear taller heels cause I like the extra height, but I do find the lower heels - especially when they are a kitten heel or a stiletto style but just shorter - they are way harder to wear - or at least I find that. I have more near accidents and slides etc in a 2 inch pointy heel than I do in my taller stilettos... In some ways I think they take more skill to balance side to side?

I love wearing a lower heel - but still a skinny heel - I reckon its such a classical look.

Pitty about shoes of Prey too - I reckon those pumps of JeffBs look divine and I never got a chance to order any!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

In all the years I’ve worn women’s shoes, I’ve always measured the heels from the back, which I think (heavy emphasis on “think”) is the industry standard when it comes to measuring heels.

10 hours ago, tarapt1060 said:

Thats the trouble when you have a large shoe size the arch is extended so much that it becomes more of a gentle slope and makes the heel look much shorter

From a visual standpoint, perhaps the combination of my height (6 foot 2) and my shoe size (13 wide) made those heels appear smaller than they really were.

9 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

I see what mlroseplant means. I think the same height heel would appear different in a size 8 for example. It's an optical illusion. The point is JeffB is rocking his look no matter where he goes. HinH

Thanks! I do as best I can as I love displaying my unique fashion sense.

8 hours ago, SF said:

I am one inch taller than Jeff.  I love wearing high heels but also don't want to look like some monster from the deep in my 3 inch plus heels!!  

To solve that problem, I keep my heels down to less than 3 inches, and some of the shoes actually have "kitten heels" of two inches or less.  Most all my shoes are size 11 so I imagine a two inch or less heel (especially wedgies) really isn't that noticeable after all.  I just want to wear heels and "blend in" as you seem to do Jeff.  Heels just look nicer than guys shoes.  At my height, a 6ft 3in guy in 5 inch heels coming at ya would scare the kids - as well as me !!!   ha ha....  

Have fun all.....  sf

I’ve worn five inches on a few occasions, and while I never worried or cared about towering over the world, I did worry about bumping my head on a door frame which would’ve been embarrassing to say the least. These days, it’s rare when I wear anything over three inches since I do a lot of standing and walking and put comfort at a premium, and for me, that means wearing lower heels.

5 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Steve

4 hours ago, RonC said:

Agreed, Steve, both on the heel height issue and the fact that Jeff looks good in those pumps!

Thanks, guys. I really like those SOP shoes. I only wish I could’ve bought more while I had the chance.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JeffB said:

In all the years I’ve worn women’s shoes, I’ve always measured the heels from the back, which I think (heavy emphasis on “think”) is the industry standard when it comes to measuring heels.

I have not put a ruler up to very many heels but on all the ones that I own that measurement from the back matches the specifications.  The only variation I have seen is that on one pair of heels this does not include the heel cap, so they are actually over 4” to the heel.  

For those that are interested, I came to discover this method of measurement is not what custom cowboy boot makers use.  They measure the heel height at a point some distance from the back of the last:

0C5621EB-9074-4955-AEC8-299F7071A92B.jpeg.cd7ea701177529a988ba71b8e04df2a4.jpeg

For low heels, this difference is relatively minor, but as the heel gets higher, the wedge angle increases, and so does the difference.  A “12/8 heel”, or a 1.5” heel, ends up measuring 2” at the back.  My latest custom boots have an “18/8 or 2 1/4 heel” which measures 3” at the back.  I didn’t quite have this figured out when I asked for a “4 inch heel” at the boot shop last month, and the boot maker took the measuring tape up to the heel to  explain it to me.  

Edited by p1ng74
Typo
  • Like 1

Well now, that was sure interesting! Thanks for sharing, p1ng74!

19 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I have not put a ruler up to very many heels but on all the ones that I own that measurement from the back matches the specifications.  The only variation I have seen is that on one pair of heels this does not include the heel cap, so they are actually over 4” to the heel.  

For those that are interested, I came to discover this method of measurement is not what custom cowboy boot makers use.  They measure the heel height at a point some distance from the back of the last:

0C5621EB-9074-4955-AEC8-299F7071A92B.jpeg.cd7ea701177529a988ba71b8e04df2a4.jpeg

For low heels, this difference is relatively minor, but as the heel gets higher, the wedge angle increases, and so does the difference.  A “12/8 heel”, or a 1.5” heel, ends up measuring 2” at the back.  My latest custom boots have an “18/8 or 2 1/4 heel” which measures 3” at the back.  I didn’t quite have this figured out when I asked for a “4 inch heel” at the boot shop last month, and the boot maker took the measuring tape up to the heel to  explain it to me.  

If the heel height is indeed measured at the point shown (the vertical line), what does the notation '1 3/4 on 4B' mean or refer to?   If it is a measurement from the line to the back of the upper (1 3/4"?), it seems very vague as the three-dimensionally curved back of almost any shoe upper is hardly a good datum.   It would be more logical, and more certain and accurate, to measure heel height at the extreme rear of the shoe (where the heel is attached), as we 'customers' conventionally do.   The shape or undercut of the heel itself is irrelevant; all that matters is a perpendicular from the rear to the ground.   I don't know if the spec you have provided is applicable to shoes or boots in general (rather than to cowboy boots only), but, either way, there must be a reason for it - possibly just 'tradition' rather than necessity.

In the UK, we have an expression 'a load of cobblers' (meaning 'a lot of nonsense').   I am beginning to think it has a sound origin!

39 minutes ago, Puffer said:

If the heel height is indeed measured at the point shown (the vertical line), what does the notation '1 3/4 on 4B' mean or refer to?   If it is a measurement from the line to the back of the upper (1 3/4"?), it seems very vague as the three-dimensionally curved back of almost any shoe upper is hardly a good datum.   It would be more logical, and more certain and accurate, to measure heel height at the extreme rear of the shoe (where the heel is attached), as we 'customers' conventionally do.   The shape or undercut of the heel itself is irrelevant; all that matters is a perpendicular from the rear to the ground.   I don't know if the spec you have provided is applicable to shoes or boots in general (rather than to cowboy boots only), but, either way, there must be a reason for it - possibly just 'tradition' rather than necessity.

In the UK, we have an expression 'a load of cobblers' (meaning 'a lot of nonsense').   I am beginning to think it has a sound origin!

That is exactly the reason that I went to measuring straight up the back of the heel quite some time ago. It's not a perfect method, but it is more consistent across all heel types. 

"Load of cobblers" indeed! I shall make it my goal to use this phrase sometime in the next week at work, just to see how we Yankees react to it. 

46 minutes ago, Puffer said:

This diagram was from a last maker’s book.  1 3/4” is the distance from the back of the last in size 4B.  According to some custom shoe makers’ forums online in more typical sizes the distance is more like 2 1/4”.  I don’t know how to build a last and why this works for them, but I did find it interesting that when it comes to heel heights they may essentially speak a different language.

9 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

This diagram was from a last maker’s book.  1 3/4” is the distance from the back of the last in size 4B.  According to some custom shoe makers’ forums online in more typical sizes the distance is more like 2 1/4”.  I don’t know how to build a last and why this works for them, but I did find it interesting that when it comes to heel heights they may essentially speak a different language.

Interesting - and thanks.   That makes a little more sense, as shaping/carving a last from wood obviously requires some precision and accurate setting-out, and varies with shoe size.   But I still feel that the heel height measurement is better if standardised at the rear.   A whole new meaning for the expression 'made to last', eh? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Interesting - and thanks.   That makes a little more sense, as shaping/carving a last from wood obviously requires some precision and accurate setting-out, and varies with shoe size.   But I still feel that the heel height measurement is better if standardised at the rear.   A whole new meaning for the expression 'made to last', eh? 

There is another factor unique to cowboy boots that I forgot to mention.  When measuring the heel height at the rear for heels, it is fairly clear to be the distance from the floor up up to where the heel ends at the actual shoe or heel counter.  But some cowboy boots have a spur ridge, which extends beyond the back of the shoe.   A more standardized measurement would require agreement to measure the height at where the heel meets the rest of the shoe.  Otherwise if you must measure the height of the actual heel, including the spur ridge, you can yield greater heel heights by simply increasing the spur ridge, which is easy to customize, sloping the heel further up the wedge angle without changing anything else.  

9 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

There is another factor unique to cowboy boots that I forgot to mention.  When measuring the heel height at the rear for heels, it is fairly clear to be the distance from the floor up up to where the heel ends at the actual shoe or heel counter.  But some cowboy boots have a spur ridge, which extends beyond the back of the shoe.   A more standardized measurement would require agreement to measure the height at where the heel meets the rest of the shoe.  Otherwise if you must measure the height of the actual heel, including the spur ridge, you can yield greater heel heights by simply increasing the spur ridge, which is easy to customize, sloping the heel further up the wedge angle without changing anything else.  

Quite right!   I had forgotten the spur ridge, which would of course give the illusion of a slightly higher heel.   Although 'cowboy boots' are by no means unknown in the UK (and currently a fashionable style for women), they don't often have any form of spur ridge, which looks rather weird to our eyes, however authentic it might be.   When I got my MJ boots (a semi-Western style, 5" heel), I asked for a minimal spur ridge and prefer that appearance.   See here (sorry about pic quality):

Jones2.JPG

• Like 1

Jaunt #482, 1/5/2019: The weather for my first outing of 2019 was considerably less than stellar, what with early morning rain, followed by a chilly and persistent drizzle, but I decided to go out anyway, garbed in my black wool coat over a turquoise turtleneck, a black denim miniskirt, gray tights, the Payless “Riot” combat boots and a black satchel bag. As is often the case when I go on a jaunt on a wet day, “If the streets ain’t dry, then my heels ain’t high”, thus the low heeled boots, but then, I’ve worn them on dry days because they’re both stylish and fun, plus they look good with a short skirt. Speaking of which, even though it was a raw sort of day, that didn’t dissuade me from wearing that mini as I had the tights which kept me good and warm.

Since the conditions were less than ideal, I took the easy way out and headed west to the King of Prussia Mall so I'd be indoors the whole time. After all this time, well over thirty straight trips to KOP in skirts, dresses and now leggings, I’ve gotten so used to going there in women’s clothing, I can’t bring myself to wear anything else, I feel so comfortable freestyling at the largest shopping mall on the east coast, not to mention that it’s a lot of fun as well, and fun is why I do what I do. Arriving at the mall shortly after eleven, things were slow, and, as is almost always the case, no one paid me a lick of attention, something I never fail to see as a good thing, because that meant I was accepted by the public for my presentation, or, more than likely, no one cared about a tall, middle aged black man in a miniskirt, and that was okay too. After my first stop at the comic book store, it was off to the food court for lunch where I treated myself to a slice of pepperoni pizza with a bottle of iced tea, and it was mighty tasty, then I went about leisurely wandering through the mall, swinging into three department stores (Lord & Taylor, Macy’s, Bloomingdales), checking out what they had in the way of ponchos as I’ve been intrigued of late about wearing them after having decided they looked good on me. While I didn’t buy anything, I did see a goodly number of nice selections to take under consideration for a future purchase.

But, I didn’t come away from my mall outing empty handed as I made a stop at Primark where I bought a sweater, a second pair of black, velvet lined leggings which feel absolutely delicious to wear, and a cute, black quilted satchel bag (on sale for a mere seven bucks) which I figure will pair nicely with either my quilted vest or quilted coat. I’ll be sure to show it off at my earliest opportunity. On average, I spend around four hours at KOP, and the time seems to always fly because I have so much fun. More to come....

Jaunt #482, outfit-1.jpg

Jaunt #482, outfit-2.jpg

• Like 1