What do you wear underneath boots?

jwhite44

This sounds like a really stupid question, but what do people wear on their feet with boots? Up to now, I've just worn my boots inside my house, and I didn't put anything on, just bare feet. However, I'm getting the urge to do some public heeling, where I'll be doing much more walking, and spending much more time in them, then I ever have before. Both in terms of sweat control, as well as perhaps a little comfort, I'd think some article of clothing would be desired. I took a look in Sears when I was there recently, and they had some New Balance no-show socks, shown in the attached picture. While there were thicker, padded versions, they had a version which were extremely thin and light, which I think could work well in a boot. Of course, this is a practical solution, but typically nothing about heels is practical, so maybe I'm way off. What does a proper, boot-wearing person wear?

post-13957-133522869081_thumb.jpg

Though I am likely not a proper boot wearing person, but I wear with boots the same things I wear with pumps...nylons, tights, or knee highs. A couple of times I have worn men's (thin) dress socks, though.

Style is built from the ground up!

Truly, it all depends upon the fit. The tighter the fit, then the thinner the sock or hosiery. The looser, then the thicker the sock. My shoes/boots run the gamut from pantyhose/knee highs/stockings to thick men's socks depending upon the fit. But my preference is the hosiery.

It's all about the heel!

That makes sense. Another potential stupid question - how did each of you come to this answer? While I've dabbled in woman's clothing other than shoes, I've never gotten into the whole hosiery area (other than a pair of bobby sox I wore with a set of pumps). Is it something that you are interested in, and that you wish to wear? Or, is it just "the thing to do" when wearing heels? While I know I'm free to wear anything I want, for most of us, there's an extra thrill knowing we're wearing articles with a more feminine orientation. If I was into skirts, for example, I'd know panties or briefs would be more appropriate, not perhaps typical Hanes underwear, or boxers. With my boot wearing, I need to decide if I want to go with male or female hosiery.

i wear hose/tights/very thin dress socks, almost exclusively. i do have some thicker socks, but they are very much the exception rather than the rule.

i can't stand wearing most shoes barefoot, and thicker socks are usually uncomfortable to me. so the logical conclusion is the type of legwear i have gravitated towards.

i admit that part of me enjoys that i'm wearing traditionally "female" legwear, but it's actually a very small part of my decision.

the thicker socks are either for hiking, or are over-the-knee fun socks for with kilts and shorter skirts and usually heavier, looser-fitting boots.

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

... how did each of you come to this answer...

That is far from a stupid question! I learned what to wear with what, in most cases from women, just by listening and paying attention. I have had the good fortune of having women as a central part of my life and I guess I just picked it up somewhere; most likely from seeing women in boots take their boots off at the end of the day.

I also have learned a lot of these things from listening to women talk. In many jobs, for example I have been the only man (or one of the few) in the workplace and have more or less become "one of the girls." It is surprising what you can pick up. I have been quite fortunate.

However, from my observations, every one of these answers is correct. The hosiery worn with boots is pretty much anything you want. Whatever you like, then that's what you should do. Personally, I never really liked the bare leg look with boots because in my mind, boots are a fall/winter article, and if wearing a skirt in the fall or winter, the legs should be covered with some form of hosiery. Some people have a different opinion.

Style is built from the ground up!

Pretty much exactly like the others have said, it all depends on the fit. If its looser fitting, then a thick sock, if its a very snug fit, then hose are the only way to go. A much nicer feel of hose/tights with boots by far, and I would never wear boots barefoot.

Jwhite 44 I asked the same question back around the end of Aug or the 1st of Sept (socks or hose under the guys forum) or something to that meaning. The answers I got boiled down to depending on the fit of the shoe / boot. I know I am learning that with my foot that I have to buy 11's womens because my foot measures 10 & 1/2 womens and that I need insoles or thick socks in the size 11's. I enjoy the feel of hose over socks when I wear shoes ( Men's or Women's ) but I wear socks with my mens shoes and try to wear hose with my womens shoes because I enjoy the feel. I would like to know what most women wear under their boots socks or hose? I am wondering if it would come up with the same answers.

.. A couple of times I have worn men's (thin) dress socks, though.

I found I had a pair like that in black, which seem to work very well. I was looking for a newer pair in Sears the other day, and couldn't find anything near as thin or light as those. There's no room in my boots for a thick sock, which eliminates a lot of what is currently selling

In the meantime, these will fine. I'm not sure about the 6" of sock above the ankle though, it seems out of place. If I'm not happy with it, or just in a little more flirty mood, I might go for the bobby sox I have (the attached picture is pretty close to what they look like). They're a perfect size for my boots - the lace comes just above the top of the boot. With the length of my pant legs, I'm pretty sure they only what they'd ever be seen is if I intentionally lifted my pants and showed them to off.

post-13957-133522869356_thumb.jpg

That makes sense. Another potential stupid question - how did each of you come to this answer? While I've dabbled in woman's clothing other than shoes, I've never gotten into the whole hosiery area (other than a pair of bobby sox I wore with a set of pumps).

Experimentation, trying different things in order to find a happy medium, and, more importantly, a comfortable medium. When it came to boots, I began with socks, but found even dress socks to have been too thick and constrictive for my liking. The bulkier the legwear, the tighter the fit in your boots, especially if you're wearing something with a pointed toe. From there, I graduated to hosiery, knee highs first, then pantyhose which I found to have been comfortable enough for my needs and I've used that ever since

Is it something that you are interested in, and that you wish to wear? Or, is it just "the thing to do" when wearing heels?

That depends on the wearer and his mindset. Some prefer hosiery, some like thin socks while others go barefoot inboots. Again, it's all up to the person.

With my boot wearing, I need to decide if I want to go with male or female hosiery.

Again, experiment to find your happy medium and something you'll be satisfied with. Don't feel you have to opt for hosiery because folks here like me swear by it. Go your own way, make your own choices.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I wear the knee high support stocking from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_075A0006000P?vName=Clothing&cName=Intimates&sName=Socks+%26+Hosiery

They are thin and wear very well, unlike regular nylons that run easy.

Still, like everyone else says "wear what is comfortable". Wear what makes/helps the shoe or boot fit!

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

I like thigh high stockings. First of all they feel good on the leg and look good too. Under jeans the stockings feel very good and rub on the leg wile walking. They make the taking off of the boots and shoe easier. The surface is more smooth and the leather of the boot and shoes glides on the stocking. And then the sound it makes when taking off or putting on the shoes and boots. :winkiss:

Wearing skirts or dresses with my boots its pantyhose for me all the time. I have been wearing nylon stockings and a pantie set with a garter belt too but underneath my boost, most of the time its pantyhose for me. Wearing boots together with jeans or pants I wear knee high nylons if I´m in my ankle boots but wearing knee high boots together with jeans or pants its pantyhose for me. Having my boot legged jeans or pants over my knee hig boots its feels more comfortable wearing pantyhose.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to wear hosiery with my boots. I usually wear the hosiery with mens socks unless the boots are a little tigher in which case I only wear hosiery. For me it all started when I wore my mom's boots. As time passed they were tighter on me so I decided that if I used hosiery they would fit better. I bought some and I liked it so much that I started wearing them every time I could. Now I wear the hosiery as often as I can. I love the sensation of putting my boots on while wearing hosiery.

• 2 years later...

An update - found a pretty set of women's hosiery at Sears. They are "Silvertoe by Goldtoe", 3 that they show online:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_075JM033000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=28&blockType=G28

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_075JM034000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=29&blockType=G29

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_075JM035000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=30&blockType=G30

These happen to be Plus sizes (sz 10-12), they also sell regular size (6-9). I bought one of each, even the 6-9 can stretch to fit my sz 13 foot.

They are about as thin as pantyhose / other hosiery, which makes them good if you need something to wear with a tight shoe or boot where a regular thickness sock might not work. Good news on the price - they are $5 each, 3 for $12.

I initially looked in Macy's (both men's and women's sections), didn't see anything there that was I what I wanted. These I think are just what I was looking for.

So, in case anyone else is in the same boat as me, you might look into these.

I also wear pantyhose, thigh-highs, knee-highs and trouser socks with my boots. I also have some very thin pairs of men's socks that I wear to keep my feet warm on cold days. I especially like the feel of the nylon hosery on my legs!!!!

I have found that trouser socks like the ones I have bought at Target work best with boots while knee or thigh-highs are best with high heel (5" or higher) pumps or platform sandals. Probably wedges are best worn bare-legged since many wear them with skinny jeans or just like to show their toes. trouser socks seem to allow a boot to easily go on and come off but have just enough friction to prevent the boot from sliding. That's my observation. HappyinHeels:wave: