What do you wear underneath boots?

jwhite44

This sounds like a really stupid question, but what do people wear on their feet with boots? Up to now, I've just worn my boots inside my house, and I didn't put anything on, just bare feet.

However, I'm getting the urge to do some public heeling, where I'll be doing much more walking, and spending much more time in them, then I ever have before. Both in terms of sweat control, as well as perhaps a little comfort, I'd think some article of clothing would be desired.

I took a look in Sears when I was there recently, and they had some New Balance no-show socks, shown in the attached picture. While there were thicker, padded versions, they had a version which were extremely thin and light, which I think could work well in a boot.

Of course, this is a practical solution, but typically nothing about heels is practical, so maybe I'm way off. What does a proper, boot-wearing person wear?

I know it may a bit to late for this but I figure I would offer my 2cents as to what I wear under my boots. For me it depends, if I am wearing with a skirt then it will be hose. If I am wearing with pants then I wear womens boot socks that come to the knee espcially in the cold. It goes along way to help keep your legs warm and the boot's fit better since those socks are really made for those type of boots ie a little thicker than normal boots.

...the boot's fit better since those socks are really made for those type of boots ie a little thicker than normal boots.

I've had the opposite problem. The last pair of boots I bought are a smaller size that I normally take (12W vs a 13 or 13W), and I needed to get a thinner than normal pair of 'socks'. The ones I found at Sears work perfectly for this. Just thought I'd mention them in case others have a similar need.

I always wear stockings with my boots. I tried going with just bare legs a few times but just didn't care for the feel and well the sweat made it a little uncomfortable. The nylons seem to make it more comfortable for me to wear. I have never thought of wearing socks. I just never saw them as going together. I guess if they were hidden though who would know.

• 1 month later...

I love barefoot for court shoes but never for boots. Usually I'll go for opaque tights, and if the boots are a generous fit and it's really cold I'll add thermal socks. For tighter-fitting boots (usually the ones with more of a heel) I'll wear sheer tights with thin socks for an extra layer of warmth and to protect the tights from runs. For boots with a tight-fitting foot but roomy aound the calf legwarmers could be a good option.

I never let my socks show above the tops of my boots, even if they're covered by trousers. This winter a lot of girls seem to be layering slouchy socks over the tops of their boots with opaque tights, which can look really cute but for that look I think I'd have to go with leggings or skinny-jeans 'cos it looks way too cold for those denim hotpants!

If you like it, wear it.