Jump to content

The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant


mlroseplant
 Share

Recommended Posts


It is unfortunate when a substantive post is the last one on the page, as it tends to get ignored. And yes, I think most people don't think about the distinction between truly high heels and mid heels. I find that anything 3 inches or less is not really a heel for me anymore. However, my learning curve is over with pretty quickly, as I can't seem to deal with anything higher than 4 1/2 inches, and I have the video to prove it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with you about three inches being a kind of barrier - anything below is kind of hard to consider much of a heel, but three inches is where “heels” begin. I quite like that height - 3 to 3.5 inches,  in knee boots at any rate. It is high enough to matter but leaves a bit of ambivalence too.  It a height that on its own is relatively easy to “get away with” yet when coupled with the broadly feminine styling of knee boots  creates an interesting edgy frisson. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The farmer's market season is rapidly winding down, but it's still shorts weather for sure. That may change next week, or it may not. You never know here in Iowa. The reason I mention shorts is because although I wore some pretty standout shoes last night, my blue Bruno Magli "Kira" suede wedges, I got no comments about them at all. However, one mid-thirty-ish lady gushed about my shorts. I do think they suit me rather well, being short enough without being super tight, and not so short as to be really shocking, but I guess I can't get all that enthusiastic about shorts. Another bathroom shot. I have no place else as a practical matter.

FMl.e.i.shortsBMwedge.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted on here in a while, as there seems to be little interest. I really don't blame people, I've got nothing new to say, and perhaps that's a good thing. It means I am able to lead a normal life wearing heels, and there are a finite number of things to say about that.

There was a radical change in the weather here in Central Iowa this past week. It seems like one day it was in the 90s for temperature (close to 35º C), and a few days later, it dipped into the mid to upper 50s (around 12-15º C). As a result, I wore long pants and long sleeves to the farmer's market, and I'm glad I did. It started out a little hot, and I was thinking I could have worn shorts, as many of our customers did. However, our customers didn't have to stand outside in one spot for five hours, and by the time eight o'clock rolled around, I was quite appropriately dressed.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have probably worn my ankle boots or knee high boots. I wore these oxfords, which are my oldest continuously serving pair of shoes, because I knew they wouldn't bite me back, and they didn't. I did not bring a pair of backup shoes or load-in/load-out shoes with me. The little bit of ankle showing I feel interrupts the visual line. I got only one comment on that evening, and it was a "I don't understand how you can deal with heels that high" kind of comment.

FMAllBlackFall.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super good last night of the year for the farmer's market. Good weather, no other major events going on, and the realization for many people that they won't be able to come to this event for another 7 months. We went out with a bang, rather than a whimper. I really wanted to wear shorts for our last hurrah of the year, but that would have been inadvisable. It's simply not that warm. Got zero comments about my outfit or my shoes.

True Religion mules. Effective 4 inch heel. Brought backup shoes, but didn't even think about using them. By the end of the season, 4 inch heels are easy. The trick will be to keep myself in this good of condition over the winter.

FMLastof2022.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2022 at 8:20 AM, mlroseplant said:

I haven't posted on here in a while, as there seems to be little interest. I really don't blame people, I've got nothing new to say, and perhaps that's a good thing. It means I am able to lead a normal life wearing heels, and there are a finite number of things to say about that.

There was a radical change in the weather here in Central Iowa this past week. It seems like one day it was in the 90s for temperature (close to 35º C), and a few days later, it dipped into the mid to upper 50s (around 12-15º C). As a result, I wore long pants and long sleeves to the farmer's market, and I'm glad I did. It started out a little hot, and I was thinking I could have worn shorts, as many of our customers did. However, our customers didn't have to stand outside in one spot for five hours, and by the time eight o'clock rolled around, I was quite appropriately dressed.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have probably worn my ankle boots or knee high boots. I wore these oxfords, which are my oldest continuously serving pair of shoes, because I knew they wouldn't bite me back, and they didn't. I did not bring a pair of backup shoes or load-in/load-out shoes with me. The little bit of ankle showing I feel interrupts the visual line. I got only one comment on that evening, and it was a "I don't understand how you can deal with heels that high" kind of comment.

FMAllBlackFall.jpg

You look great buddy, your efforts to take good care of yourself have paid off for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Super good last night of the year for the farmer's market. Good weather, no other major events going on, and the realization for many people that they won't be able to come to this event for another 7 months. We went out with a bang, rather than a whimper. I really wanted to wear shorts for our last hurrah of the year, but that would have been inadvisable. It's simply not that warm. Got zero comments about my outfit or my shoes.

True Religion mules. Effective 4 inch heel. Brought backup shoes, but didn't even think about using them. By the end of the season, 4 inch heels are easy. The trick will be to keep myself in this good of condition over the winter.

I like the red top. It looks unfaded, as if the color is saturated--indicates quality. Blue jeans look good too.  Note, wide black belt looks good too.  Well done. 

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 2

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't felt like taking any pictures in a while, but I did this week, simply for the purpose of making fun of myself. I have two different ways in which to do this. One, my process of trying to decide which pair of shoes to wear to best complement the suit I had chosen. I finally decided on a certain shade of so-called nude pumps. And I thought nude in general was supposed to go with everything! Alas, it is not so.

I went to such a great deal of trouble to pick out the color that I neglected to put on the suit until the last minute, at which time I discovered that I must have been smoking crack when I had these pants hemmed. At this point, it was too late to change.

NudeDecisions.jpg

LongPantSuit.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Cali said:

A higher heel could have corrected the hem problem.  Say another 4 to 5 more inches. Maybe stilts.

9 hours ago, bambam said:

Nonsense, that looks perfect

The trousers are surely just too long, so puckering-up on melrose's instep, as he implies because they were hemmed wrongly.   A higher heel would be more visible (and reduce the gap between trouser bottom and ground) but not correct the gathering over the toe/instep.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2022 at 4:27 AM, Puffer said:

The trousers are surely just too long, so puckering-up on melrose's instep, as he implies because they were hemmed wrongly.   A higher heel would be more visible (and reduce the gap between trouser bottom and ground) but not correct the gathering over the toe/instep.

Absolutely correct! Even if I went with platforms, it would not correct the fundamental problem you mention. And it certainly would not correct the other problem of the hem catching on the back of the heel when one stands up from a seated position, particularly if one has crossed his legs at all while seated. That's even worse! I have no idea how the ladies circa 2000 made this style work.

I much more cooperation from the pants I chose this week, though the look was more casual. Shown here are my Steve Madden Klory pumps, which look remarkably similar to several other pumps I own, but these are better! Slightly. They are cataloged somewhere in the "New Shoes" section, I am sure. This was their maiden voyage, and I had occasion to actually walk in them for some distance, totaling not quite a mile.

They are not bad, but they did eventually rub blisters on the outsides of my feet, directly underneath my ankles. My fault for not checking that sort of thing before I wore them out for the first time. That, and with the 4 3/4 inch heel, it took forever, or so it seemed, to get to where I was going.

SMKloryWornWideLeg1.jpg

SMKloryWornWideLeg2.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely my favorite shoes I've seen you wear so far. Their color blends well with your pants too. This can help elongate your legs. 

  • Thanks 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Definitely my favorite shoes I've seen you wear so far. Their color blends well with your pants too. This can help elongate your legs. 

There is nothing to be done about my legs. I make my way through life with this handicap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah but there is. Crazy people are getting lengthening surgery. Me, just wear high heels.

All kidding aside, I'm pretty sure kidding kneehighs was complimenting your proportions. Those heels look like they should be be there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Ah but there is. Crazy people are getting lengthening surgery. Me, just wear high heels.

All kidding aside, I'm pretty sure kidding kneehighs was complimenting your proportions. Those heels look like they should be be there.

Pretty sure @mlroseplant didn’t take my comment personally. Making shoes the same color as the pants is a stylists way of visually making the legs appear longer for anyone.

This outfit is great. Another option is a white button down. It would create a classic monochromatic effect. Which would elongate and slim the whole body—for anyone.

  • Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Pretty sure @mlroseplant didn’t take my comment personally. Making shoes the same color as the pants is a stylists way of visually making the legs appear longer for anyone.

This outfit is great. Another option is a white button down. It would create a classic monochromatic effect. Which would elongate and slim the whole body—for anyone.

I am pretty sure that everyone on here knows I have a pretty dry sense of humor, but in all seriousness, I have done the monochromatic thing over the years, and here I thought I was just being lazy and unimaginative!

MKOksanaMotoSide.thumb.jpg.01054571d15f9b44bdc2c776122f53b4.jpgBluBlockerPolo.thumb.jpg.75983cf1b4bd81d24651c284d8566839.jpgGrayScaleMKSuede.thumb.jpg.131fba2d6ccbca83221a380ab7d1b19c.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bambam said:

Those sandals on the Bike are very nice!!

They are essentially the same sandal as the gray ones pictured above, with a few minor variations, Michael Kors "Oksana" is the name of the tan ones.

 

MKOksanaCompare.thumb.jpg.053320aa20bf6c757c3c82f50d9d476d.jpg

The basic problem with both of these is that, despite their robust appearance, they are not very sturdy shoes. And I only weigh a buck-and-a-third. (That's 9 1/2 stone or 61 kg)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to go to the dermatologist on Thursday, because of a concerning spot on my cheek. I'm supposed to go every year to get checked out because of my medical history and my job, but our public health situation kind of messed everything up, and I hadn't been since 2019. I don't have any news yet, but she said it looked like nothing, really. Lab results will take a few days, naturally. So I have a very small chunk missing from my cheek, and I have to wear a bandaid (or sticking plaster) to try to keep it from scabbing over, so it doesn't leave too much of a scar.

Anyway, I debated about what to wear to the appointment. I ended up wearing something very boring, probably because I was a bit worried before I got there about this white spot on my face that just would not go away. I wore powder blue pants with a blue polo shirt, and these not-very-high-heeled sandals:

2124002691_SofftBlkWedgesSide.thumb.jpg.d23c6ceea0015ac41e93ed2e734a381b.jpg1643967201_SofftBlkWedgesTop.thumb.jpg.97048d5de26c2f6f437794c164bb6c79.jpg

Since you have to strip down to your underpants for this examination, I didn't want to wear anything very fiddly, and yet I didn't want to show up in jeans and a t-shirt, either. It is possible that the doctor did not even notice my shoes or any of my clothing, as it was all removed by the time she saw me. The nurse surely did, and she didn't react in any visible way. I know I have worn wedge sandals to this place before, but again, my shoes spent most of the time underneath the chair.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been going yearly now as well. Had some removal in one ear last yr, this year clean. I worn a pair of 5 inch Mary Janes. The ladies all loved them, amazed how well I walked in them.

Same with the dentist and family doctors office.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL. It must be Nation Dermatology Week.

I had my 6 month appointment with the Keeper of Liquid Nitrogen on Friday. Been going every 6 months since I had Mohs surgery about 5 years back.  I wore my Nine West knee high boots with chunky heels outside skinny jeans, plum color turtleneck and a thick hoodie. The nurse that brought me in comment she liked my boots. When the doctor came in, she said that she was surprise that I wasn't wearing heels. Then she lifted one of the boots and saw the 4 inch heel, "I was wrong." 

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cali said:

....When the doctor came in, she said that she was surprise that I wasn't wearing heels. Then she lifted one of the boots and saw the 4 inch heel, "I was wrong." 

Sounds like a cool doctor.

  • Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kneehighs said:

Sounds like a cool doctor.

I have been going to this doctor for over a decade and I almost always wear heels since I started in 2015. She has seen plenty of different heels.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's pretty low-res, but here is me at our temporary place of worship while our church sanctuary is being remodeled. It's a screen shot from a video. Just in case there is somebody still out there who doesn't believe that I actually wear high heels to church.

Churchsing.jpg

Churchtalk.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.