Reviews.

dww

I know this subject has been bought up somewhere else but I cannot find it. I have just purchased a new pair of mary jane style shoes from Dune. Cut a story short. I received a e'mail from them asking for a review about my new shoes. I did a reply asking if they really wanted a review from a guy who likes to wear heels asking if ladies would like a statement from a guy who wears heels I stated they may think I am some kind of nutter. The reply I have received from Dune knocked me for six, they say it does not matter male or female, ladies shoes mens shoes it's just a review and that is what customers want, They are quite happy for a guy to write a review on ladies shoes and they are happy to include it on their website. So yes I am going to write a review on my new shoes stating I am a male who loves to wear heels and take it from there. The new shoes I have bought are mary jane style with a open toe and a block heel they are called Taco sorry for anybody else but I think I bought the last pair.

life is not a rehearsal

For years I have written reviews of shoes that I have purchased. In my reviews I always say that I am a guy. I have done reviews at Zappos, Nordstrom, DSW, Payless, Marmi and many others. Without exception, all of my reviews have been posted, and only once was any editing done. The one post that was edited (at Zappos - which surprised me), they left out the part where I said I was a guy, but left my name and other info so that anyone reading the review would know that the writer was male. But the Zappos editing must have been some sort of a glitch, many other Zappos reviews were posted as written. My latest Zappos review was for a pair of Annie sandals called Venice - go check it out. See ya, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Why mention that you're a guy? Would a woman writing the same review mention her gender? You're only writing a review, not a social-political critique of our societal gender conformities.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Why mention that you're a guy? Would a woman writing the same review mention her gender?

You're only writing a review, not a social-political critique of our societal gender conformities.

Spot on!

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think mentioning ur a guy may be good for other guys wanting the same shoes. Especially if the sizing is accurate or not and the fit is good.

I would think that such data would be irrelevent unless it refers to wide sizing. Does gender really matter?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think it's important to give shoe manufacturers and retailers feedback that guys are buying and wearing their products, too, and hopefully in increasing numbers as we come out of the closet, so to speak. Doing so may encourage them to offer more choices in larger sizes, and more styles that are toward the menswear end of the spectrum (i.e., not super feminine hot pink stiletto stripper plats), but more conservative pumps, loafers, sandals, clogs and boots that heelers can feel comfortable street heeling in. Another good reason is to educate the public. Other customers, mostly female, will read the reviews and realize that men buy and wear those styles, too. At first it might seem odd, but if they see it a few times, they will get used to the idea. Tolerance and maybe even acceptance will increase. Finally, if a male customer reads the review, he might find it comforting to know he's not alone in liking that shoe, and he might even show it to his wife/partner/gf/SO to demonstrate that fact. If the review is negative, the reviewer has helped a fellow heeler avoid a problem shoe. So I think there is more than enough justification to mention that you're a fashion-forward male, and leave it at that. I'm guilty of going overboard in the past and dwelling on it more than necessary, but I've learned my lesson and will keep it brief in the future. I will continue to state in my reviews that I am male. Steve

Edited by Steve63130

I read this as the subtle difference between “does not matter” and “should not matter”. From a male heelers point of view the type of shoes we buy should not matter but sellers are interested in the demographics of their customers, so to them it just might matter.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I would indicate in some way that I am male, in reviews for styles marketed to women, without making an issue of acceptance of men wearing those styles, even if it's simply using my first name. Some vendors, such as Payless Shoesource, have an optional field in their product review form for gender. As a web shopper, I also look for reviews written by men because I am considering purchasing and wearing that product. It's also encouraging to see that men are buying those items.

Women may not always explicitly state their gender but it is usually clear from their names or the review itself. Women, in real life, often don't hide the fact that they wear men's styles either. A man shouldn't have to hide his gender in a product review because someone else may think he's out of place. Still, there are sites that unfortunately remove or censor reviews from men.

The reply I have received from Dune knocked me for six, they say it does not matter male or female, ladies shoes mens shoes it's just a review and that is what customers want, They are quite happy for a guy to write a review on ladies shoes and they are happy to include it on their website.

It's heart warming to read that sensible and equitable attitude from the seller.

Edited by StarCrossed

I have had an e'mail stating my review has been added to their website I think it's the best thing to state you are male, one upmanship for mankind.

life is not a rehearsal

I think it's important to give shoe manufacturers and retailers feedback that guys are buying and wearing their products, too, and hopefully in increasing numbers as we come out of the closet, so to speak. Doing so may encourage them to offer more choices in larger sizes, and more styles that are toward the menswear end of the spectrum (i.e., not super feminine hot pink stiletto stripper plats), but more conservative pumps, loafers, sandals, clogs and boots that heelers can feel comfortable street heeling in.

Another good reason is to educate the public. Other customers, mostly female, will read the reviews and realize that men buy and wear those styles, too. At first it might seem odd, but if they see it a few times, they will get used to the idea. Tolerance and maybe even acceptance will increase.

Finally, if a male customer reads the review, he might find it comforting to know he's not alone in liking that shoe, and he might even show it to his wife/partner/gf/SO to demonstrate that fact. If the review is negative, the reviewer has helped a fellow heeler avoid a problem shoe.

So I think there is more than enough justification to mention that you're a fashion-forward male, and leave it at that. I'm guilty of going overboard in the past and dwelling on it more than necessary, but I've learned my lesson and will keep it brief in the future. I will continue to state in my reviews that I am male.

Steve

You are right on Steve. When I do my reviews on heels I always state that I am a male. See my reviews on ShoeBuy.com, Naturalizer, Aersoles and Easy Street shoe sites.

Happy Heeling,

bluajay

Steve you are right I send my reviews stating that i am a male to payless on the heels that I buy and they can send them out buy area and one of the sales staff has even made a coment to me thanking for the remarks. They figured it out that it was me that gave them the review

I've seen reviews on the Barratts web with "my wife likes me wearing them". I see no issue not to and it does send a message to the supplier that there is a wider market out there. Al

• 4 weeks later...

I like to buy from bakers shoes. And when I am on their web sight I always give reviews on all the Heels and Strappy sandals and Pumps I have purchased. I recently bought a pair of wedge indian type moccasins , Punchline is the name. I am a size 10 wide normally and Bakers shoes really are set up for a b size foot or medium width. But I can get away with some of their styles. I do get home after the purchases and put on thick socks to break in the shoes faster and that does help to make the heels more comfortable. But i do mention i am a guy that wears high heels and comfort is everything and mention i have a wider foot So I feel every one if they purchase shoes to give a review Guy or gal. And i Really enjoy the experience of giving feed back about my Heel purchases. I am sure the ladies love to read a high heel review from a guy and it does help that the shoe manufacturer knows guys also buy themselves Strappy sandals AND i do tell those nice Bakersshoe Ladies I will be giving a shoe review all positive and courteous They are very nice and do not mind helping me find a nice pair of heels that are wearable so too speak. And i tell the girls at work what heel I bought so they can read my reviews Because they to would like the same kind of heels and wonder about the fit. They order online the majority of the times and i am sure it can be a drag to send those heels back because of the wrong fit and some of my co-workers have seen my heels and once or twice i have wore them over to their house and showed them som they know how the fit is on me

I usually will do a review when they ask, but I tend to use a feminine name or a gender neutral name. I can see how saying you are a male will help raise awareness to other guys out there and possible increase the company's sales but what most people just want to know how the shoe is made, fits, or actually looks on.

I did some reviews at amazon - one also with a picture of me wearing that shoes - where i stated that i am male and that those shoes are really suitable for men too, and some people thanked me for that. Good thing.

Who the heck is General Failure and why is he reading my Disk?

• 6 months later...

When I do reviews I make it a point to mention I'm male, but not make a big deal of it or have it as the central point of my review. Sometimes when I see reviews with a typically male name, but no mention of being male, I wonder if the name is from a shared account.

I wore my Golly Miss Holly boots for the first time going out to dinner with friends. It had just snowed, and my friends were slipping all over in their Uggs and sneakers, but with the lug soles and high wide heels on these boots I felt like I was wearing studded snow tires. I especially like the look of the instep strap, the buckle looks much better (darker) than in the photo. I bought size 11 and they fit my size 10D guy feet perfectly.

When I do reviews I make it a point to mention I'm male, but not make a big deal of it or have it as the central point of my review. Sometimes when I see reviews with a typically male name, but no mention of being male, I wonder if the name is from a shared account.

I would love to see the boots that you reviewed. Searching for Golly Miss Holly did not turn up any results. Do you by chance have a link?

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I would love to see the boots that you reviewed. Searching for Golly Miss Holly did not turn up any results. Do you by chance have a link?

A big Oops and apology. That was an example of how I mention my maleness in a review, and not a real review. Sorry, The Golly Miss Holly boots are fiction, a product of my imagination. They do sound nice, though...

If anyone of you fellow heelers want to see a male review of a heeled boot, go to NineWest site and look up "Escapegoat", boots and read my review. I even posted a pic of me wearing the boots, that was posted by NineWest. Just wanted to add my $.02 to this post. Happy Heeling, bluejay

I always do a review and always use my real name. Sometimes I mention that I am a guy, sometimes not. I have never had a review refused - to my surprise frankly. My latest review was for a pair of sandals from Marmi shoes. The sandals were by VanEli, called Melea. In addition to the review, I did something that I have never done before, I posted a picture, and they posted both!! Thank you Marmi!! A wonderful place to shop I might add - both on line and in person. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

A big Oops and apology. That was an example of how I mention my maleness in a review, and not a real review. Sorry, The Golly Miss Holly boots are fiction, a product of my imagination. They do sound nice, though...

:-) I thought the name was a little funny but the review was too interesting to not check out. A nice bit of fiction.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

They should bring out golly miss holly boots. Too funny. You are walking down the street, a pretty girl walks by and says: what kind of boots are those? Golly miss holly boots. I'd buy thgem just for the name.

• 2 months later...

You will find a lot of reviews of mine on the Shoebuy , Nine West, Naturalizer, Easy Spirit and Payless sites. I have even posted a pic of my new "Portia", wedge heel sandals, on the Payless site, in June and last January, a pic, with my review, on the Nine West site of me wearing my new Escapegoat, knee boots. They will print your reviews, even if you mention that you are a male that likes to wear heels, as long as it is done tastefully. Happy Heeling, bluejay

I have been purchasing sandals and heels from Payless shoes and I mention I am a guy that likes to wear heels and that my foot size is a 10 wide. Some of their shoes say wide but seem regular width to me especially when you order online which I do once in a while. I would hate to send back shoes for wrong fit. That is why I love to go right into the store and try on. So if you see me trying on heels and really notice especially with my full beard I am a guy with wide man feet! It really does help with a review saying I am a guy that way those ladies with a wider B width foot size can picture that scenario. Accuracy counts even with feet in heels L.O.L