The Interview

ChipsHH

As I sit here, browsing various sites, thinking of what shoes I could wear before the "big" Interview for my first-ever real-time job... I realized. 'For a guy like me... would heels be appropriate for the position?' Before you all flip out and tell me to "Go for it", the job is not necessarily a life-changer, although being my first job since starting college. I applied for a 'Sales Associate' position at Bakers Footwear, and just recently, I received a callback for an Interview, to which I wasn't up to receive and end up calling Wednesday, the scheduled Interview date. The manager told me that she would call back next week if need be. So now, I'm sitting here, kind of wishing I would had kept the clear see-through boots I owned but sold for a little longer because now, I don't exactly have the most newest shoes around. If anything, they're not what One would call 'show-offs'. Then again, those boots weren't exactly what I'd call 'Appealing' shoes, either... Still, I'm looking for alternatives to the rags I have as shoes now. And I thought up the possibility to walk in with the best-looking heels I could find, and afford. I'm rather tight on money on all ends, and getting shoes for an interview would be like a 'golden opportunity' to me. BUT! My question is: Aside from the job at hand, would heels be appropriate for wear to and from the Interview room? I would hate for the reason I didn't get the job was because of the rags. Then again, I plan to forewarn her beforehand of my situation.

Formally "HHDude"

Be honest. Wear some nice shoes ( whatever kind you choose ) and inform the person doing the interview that you applied as you do have an appreciation for the product they sell and such was a motivational factor for your application to begin with. You wouldnt be just another ' employee ', you are already a customer :)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Be honest. Wear some nice shoes ( whatever kind you choose ) and inform the person doing the interview that you applied as you do have an appreciation for the product they sell and such was a motivational factor for your application to begin with.

You wouldnt be just another ' employee ', you are already a customer :)

A frequent customer at that! ;D

Formally "HHDude"

If theres something there you are thinking of purchasing, you might want to purchase it right before the interview. Take whatever you purchased in with you. If the interviewer asked, tell them straight out ' I shop here.. for myself. '. Heaven forbid you are wearing something that was purchased there from a past spree.. The ONLY thing you really have to worry about is if the person doing the interview thinks its all just a ' front ' or an oversale on your part. Though, showing up for an interview in a pair of shoes purchased there.. and being able to walk without any issues might actually impress them.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

If theres something there you are thinking of purchasing, you might want to purchase it right before the interview. Take whatever you purchased in with you. If the interviewer asked, tell them straight out ' I shop here.. for myself. '. Heaven forbid you are wearing something that was purchased there from a past spree..

The ONLY thing you really have to worry about is if the person doing the interview thinks its all just a ' front ' or an oversale on your part. Though, showing up for an interview in a pair of shoes purchased there.. and being able to walk without any issues might actually impress them.

It's actually a good thing I know the manager, not personally but enough visits to have her know 'hey, it's you again :)' so I hope she wouldn't think it was a 'front'. Heck, we could be 'best visitor friends' if there ever exist such a thing, haha.

I had 'purchasing a pair' in mind, believe it or not. Thing is: it requires a bit of money I Could have, if Friday's my scheduled Interview date and if parental unit's willing to pay this month's phone bill.

Formally "HHDude"

First off, any manager worth their salary already understands the current economic standings of a vast majority of post college workplace entries. They have nothing but mountains of debt, and those that are somewhat fiscally responsible don't have new clothes. Decent heavily used attire is expected. In your case, as long as you present yourself as a clean, honest, applicant who just so happens to have an interest and knowledge of the business, and current fashion trends, then you have a better chance than the average. Somewhat conservative yet classic designs will always win out, even if not the hottest trend. If she knows you shop there, and knows you wear heels, and still gives you a call back, she's already decided what she will or wont allow during working hours, and that your off time is irrellevant. Man - - what a great time to wear what you want to work (hopefully) enjoy it fully, and help promote the cause in a responsible manner.

The question is does she know you already wear heels? I assume she does as you say you are a regular customer. If that's the case then I would suggest smart attire and smart black shoes with a reasonable heel if you have them. This shows respect for the formal interview process but keeps your character. It may even be the fact she actually wants to employ you because you wear high heels as it could be good for business having an employee who is embracing cutting edge fashion choices.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

The important thing here is not to scare the horses. Do you do ordinary day-to-day things in heels? Has she seen you in heels before other than to try them on? Have you always worn heels to the store? If the answers are a resounding yes to all these questions, it could be that the interview is a formality anyway. If it's a resounding no then it would be an idea to go in men's shoes. This could be a dream (if not expensive) job for you and you wouldn't want to mess it up. If you are going in heels don't buy especially for the occasion but wear the best of the "rags". if you get the job then make the investment and you'll get a staff discount! :)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Well, from my own experience I have worn heels to an interview etc, but I also wear heels as an everyday thing these days. For an interview I would recommend that you go fairly neutral, nothing too flash. For example when I last interviewed I wore a fitted suit with bootcut trousers and block heel boots (square toe/ 3 inch block heel). So the whole look fitted well together. So I would go for something like that.

Might want to consider not wearing heels to the interview, and if things are going well ask a few questions about the industry yourself. If you seem to know a bit about the business, and are genuinely interested in learning more and helping them expand their client base (selling to men doubles the number of potential clients), she may be -very- interested in having you on board. Make sure she understands that you would not want to scare away their core customers (I hope that is true), but since you have a personal interest in the styles they sell that you will be a bit more empathetic then most guys when it comes to the concerns women would have about newer models they may sell. Basically, if you think you would make a good fit and help improve their business, then present yourself that way. If you get the job then take it slow before you rock the fashion boat. Tall platform heels might be more fun then 2.5-3" wedge/block heels, but you have to respect her place of business, and treat it as a professional environment. Good luck. I hope you get the job as it would be a fun way to open some peoples eyes to the possibilities :) Not that I would not mind having free reign in a shoe shop store room. hehe

(formerly known as "JimC")

I agree with Dr Shoe and Foxyheels. Maybe if they already know you and have seen you in heels, then it could be ok to wear heels to the interview, but if you do, don't wear anything flashy and no extreme platforms, keep it tasteful. Honestly in my opinion, if you want a solid shot at the job and want to be taken seriously, I would wear normal men's shoes. At the interview, if you feel its going well and you think you have a good connection going with the manager, you could then bring up that you like heels, and ask if they would mind you wearing them to work. Even though this is a shoe store, they might feel that you wearing heels to work could turn off some of the customers. The store might not want to take any risks in these tough economic times. EDIT: I see that JimC replied while I typed this, and I agree with his comments as well...

I appreciate the advice very much from all fronts of life. I pretty much have the wardrobe ready to go, which is what I wore on a prior visit to the store to hand in my app. It was a plaid dress shirt with blue jeans, alongside those "rag" shoes of mine. But at the very least, they're mostly white but black-striped as well. I wanted to buy before the Interview, truthfully, as soon as the idea came up. They're selling some gorgeous satin pumps right now that would go pretty well with my overall look. And I tried them on prior to a most recent visit. Snuggest, most comfy, roomiest shoes I've ever tried on! An absolute first for shoes that were size 11s! I'm gonna regret not getting them at least After the Interview. Although they're only good for special occasions (And no, I don't think the nightlife is occasion enough) :silly: To what JimC said: Well, lucky it's only a Sales Associate job and nothing more :) I guess that was a detail to mention prior to the posts, if not mentioned already. It isn't too heavy of a job, especially being my first job since starting college. But true, to getting some products to sell, she may either have me wearing heels regularly or keep them off to preserve the customer count. Up to her, but she may be impressed of my skill and able to keep me walking :)

post-5877-133522957877_thumb.jpg

Formally "HHDude"

Don't wear them. The ones in your thumbnail I mean. Even a girl wouldn't wear shoes like that to an interview unless she had applied for a job as a hooker.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Softly, softly, catchy monkey. You want the job. Don't wear mental heels!!! If you can gauge them right then by all means wear something 'interesting', but super high heels and job interviews should never meet each other. After you have the job and have been there for a while, try on a pair of the highest heels (only with the manager's blessing) in the shop for fun. See how it goes from there. There is too much of a good thing. Don't 'show off'.

I would say you might want to hold off before you get your foot in the door. Like someone else said ask questions about dress codes and things like that before you take action. If you just jump in right away you will probably be given a bad judgment of character and not get the job. Because when it comes to selling shoes or anything of that nature you are representing that store and the associates in it.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

It may not be too heavy of a job, but still treat their workplace with respect. My advice comes as a 2nd in command of a small business who has had trouble finding someone who fits in well. If you show yourself to want to help them improve business they may be more accepting when you show an eccentric side. Be unique after you can show results :) That works for most jobs, not just little ones.

(formerly known as "JimC")

As I've said in the other thread, have a look to see what the typical customer is wearing.

I think more importantly, "Give some consideration to what the typical customer wants to see...." Regardless of the growing acceptance of men wearing heels, regardless of that the fact that a store is 'okay' with men in heels as customers, I think it might be VERY different for them to have men in heels as employees. You don't have to go far on this site to find threads about women not being too keen on men in heels.

If it was a an smaller perhaps adult/fetish store, when men in heels wouldn't be unexpected, then yeah go for it. But at basically a mainstream store, I'm not so sure about it. Other than your knowledge of heels and shoes, I'm not sure a 'wearer' of them necessarily gives you an advantage. I agree with others that for the interview, go conservative.

Now if you do get the job, you can ask if you can wear heels then. You can sell that to a manager as a way to promote certain heels: "If a guy can wear them (say a pair of 4" heels), then you (women) probably can also..."

I think more importantly, "Give some consideration to what the typical customer wants to see...." Regardless of the growing acceptance of men wearing heels, regardless of that the fact that a store is 'okay' with men in heels as customers, I think it might be VERY different for them to have men in heels as employees. You don't have to go far on this site to find threads about women not being too keen on men in heels.

Funnily enough, a UK tabloid reprinted an NY Times article yesterday which gives a good indication of where this is at.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2050300/High-heels-men-rise.html

The comments make an interesting barometer of where things stand as far as joe public's perception is, in the UK at least.

Funnily enough, a UK tabloid reprinted an NY Times article yesterday which gives a good indication of where this is at.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2050300/High-heels-men-rise.html

The comments make an interesting barometer of where things stand as far as joe public's perception is, in the UK at least.

Many of those comments were from USA. Most of those comments are what I would expect to hear in the local town, hence one of the reasons I don't wear anthing that might be considered being from the womens department.

As I've said in the other thread, have a look to see what the typical customer is wearing.

I have to disagree on that. That specific store sells shoes for people that want to make a fashion statement. Typical customers don't go to that kind of store unless they want something above and beyond typical.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

I appreciate the advice very much from all fronts of life. I pretty much have the wardrobe ready to go, which is what I wore on a prior visit to the store to hand in my app. ...

Well, be stubborn if you want I guess... It sounds like you have your mind made up already. I mean if you really don't care about the job, then wear what you want. If you do want the job, even just a little, then don't wear heels. If you insist on wearing heels you might get away with some really conservative heels, but I can promise you, hooker heels will get you dropped from consideration almost immediately. As others have said, you could probably get to the point that you could wear heels daily at work after you prove yourself as a worthy employee, but not before then.

HHDude, I think you are right to start wearing the shoe style you want to since the interview and not wait for having demonstrated that you are effective in the job. Now, I agree with others in the thread, it is a job interview so you will try to show the best of you. Don't focus on the shoes, even if it is a shoe store. I assume their is a lot of communication in the job, and people look at your face when speaking. Regards.

Gosh really?

What a coincidence!

Are you still in contact at all?

'fraid not, sorry. We lost contact just after I moved him to Wellingborough...

Well, be stubborn if you want I guess... It sounds like you have your mind made up already. I mean if you really don't care about the job, then wear what you want. If you do want the job, even just a little, then don't wear heels. If you insist on wearing heels you might get away with some really conservative heels, but I can promise you, hooker heels will get you dropped from consideration almost immediately. As others have said, you could probably get to the point that you could wear heels daily at work after you prove yourself as a worthy employee, but not before then.

Ah ha, someone should have read my post thoroughly :)

I said it within the first "paragraph" that I would still wear the "rags" I currently own, which is just a pair of gym shoes I have and wear often, no heels on them. Manager has seen me in them on plenty of occasions, and I believe it'll be a conversation starter, when brought up. Besides, I won't even have the money to get the shoes. $90+ is quite steep for me this time around.

Formally "HHDude"