NY Times articles on Men in Heels

jazzymj

God bless the Daily Mail and it's highly liberal and open minded readers.

I personally don't give a flying F*!& what narrow minded Tory voting idiots think of my clothes. In fact I like to think I wind them up nicely.

Speaking as a Tory voting idiot, I think I wind them up too!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

An interesting article indeed. Not to nitpick however, but I would like to see more pieces about men in heels in more ordinary outings instead of guys at parties and such. Just my opinion.

I agree with this, but at least this article, and others similar to it, are a good start. It seems like at the "ordinary outings" that have been published (such as candid pictures from hidden cameras or cellphone cameras), men in high heels are depicted in a not-so-positive light.

As much as I love reading the aritcle and as much as I would love to meet another guy wearing heels in public we just need to face the honest fact that men in heels will never be accepted by the public.

Never say never. There just aren't enough of us out there yet strutting our stuff. If you want acceptance you have to get out there and be a representative of this community and people WILL accept you once they realize you are not a threat to all they hold dear. You need to show people in your area that you are just another guy. You just happen to love high heels. THIS DOES WORK.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Never say never. There just aren't enough of us out there yet strutting our stuff. If you want acceptance you have to get out there and be a representative of this community and people WILL accept you once they realize you are not a threat to all they hold dear. You need to show people in your area that you are just another guy. You just happen to love high heels. THIS DOES WORK.

A million thumbs up to you Shafted!!! : )

As much as I love reading the aritcle and as much as I would love to meet another guy wearing heels in public we just need to face the honest fact that men in heels will never be accepted by the public.

( Note: Everyone, Dont take this as negativity or as a personal insult. )

At one point in mankinds history, it was ' OK ' to own another person.

Until recently, many places didnt care for homosexuals and denied them the right to marriage ( some places still do :) ). Progress has been made though!

There were times when women couldnt vote.

Think about how disheartening and how much of an impact those 3 things had on life and even the ' quality ' of life those individuals suffered through. Think about how ' big of a deal ' such was/is to all of us on this forum.. other forums.. the whole planet.. those 3 things had an impact on EVERYONE at some point in time.

If Humanity can evolve enough to overcome those 3 issues ( there are many more that could be used ), I think a pair of footware on a guys feet is *miniscule* in comparison.

Im pretty sure people will eventually ' get over ' the theme on a man in high heeled shoes. I think most could really care less what we wear, but its just a ' shock factor ' that makes people feel so uncomfortable by the idea.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Depends on your definition of acceptance. If the worst we suffer is a few double takes and the odd negative comment then to me that says society as a whole ain't bothered if we wear heels and by default accepts it. If I walked down the street with a red mohecan hairstyle I would expect to get more looks and comments than when in heels but still nobody would be bothered and I would be accepted as others are.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

You know. I thought exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. There I was in Kensington Gardens in Brighton, wearing women's red skinny jeans, a striped blue and white 80s women's longsleeved t shirt, a camo army coat, a yellow jersey material scarf and black patent 3.5 inch women's slenderish Cuban heeled brogue boots. A punk type, gently off his head on god knows what, staggered into view. He was wearing punked up bondage style trousers, armfuls of spiked cuffs, a black tippexed trench coat and massive goth boots. He also had a big black spiked hairdo. He got all the looks and barely anyone one clocked me, BUT, he was wearing an assimilated and accepted style (especially for Brighton) and I was wearing almost entirely 'women's' clothing and a big smile.

That is of so little importance to me, I don't even worry about it. End of story.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

You know. I thought exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

There I was in Kensington Gardens in Brighton, wearing women's red skinny jeans, a striped blue and white 80s women's longsleeved t shirt, a camo army coat, a yellow jersey material scarf and black patent 3.5 inch women's slenderish Cuban heeled brogue boots. A punk type, gently off his head on god knows what, staggered into view. He was wearing punked up bondage style trousers, armfuls of spiked cuffs, a black tippexed trench coat and massive goth boots. He also had a big black spiked hairdo.

He got all the looks and barely anyone one clocked me, BUT, he was wearing an assimilated and accepted style (especially for Brighton) and I was wearing almost entirely 'women's' clothing and a big smile.

Story made me think back a few years ago.

I was riding the city bus home from school (which, coincidentally, went through another city) and it was all you'd expect from a bus ride: nothing out of the ordinary, people talking a few seats away, some man or woman reading the paper, a friend of mine in the back looking out the window; basically, nothing out the ordinary at all. Of course, that changed as soon as we got into the city.

The bus stopped past a stoplight to pick up a passenger, and my golly! Was he dressed out of the ordinary! Crazed hair, sunglasses fit for a rich girl, black tank top, and black cargo pants; the shoes... had some pink in them, but they were platform lift Oxfords. I couldn't believe it, as well as the others on the bus at that time. It was quite a sight, but lucky him, I believe he had his headphones in so he didn't pay anyone his attention.

Formally "HHDude"

ALL, Perhaps all those curious souls reading the NYT article and wondering about their own possibilities could use the approaching Halloween period and take their first steps out in heels. Maybe the rest of us who haven't worn our heels in public should get them on and get out there. To the rest who wear them year around (like roniheels, JeffB, and so many others including myself) then just keep doing what you're doing. The recurring theme in all that you read on this topic is that it makes the wearer feel so much better and isn't that the point of life?? One should strive to feel as good as possible for as many days as possible your whole life through or the entire journey will become long missed connection. Imagine this, that one person could derive such pleasure from wearing a shoe, that it can can influence how they approach life? If you can enjoy something like this so totally imagine how much more enjoyment lies out there amongst life's myriad of experiences? Take the next two weekends as an example and incorporate heels into your activities irrespective of whether or not you are attending any Halloween parties, but ESPECIALLY if you are! If you haven't yet bought heels then take this chance to go shopping and go into that favorite store this time and TRY ON THOSE HEELS!! Feel them, love them, and take them home. From that moment forward you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. I want to hear stories of those who ventured out for the first time, or who went shopping for heels, in-person, and tried on their purchase and how they felt about it later. Live the moment and be transformed by it! We can all help each other but especially those who have wanted but have yet to act. Even those who wear heels a lot could talk some new place they went in their favorite footwear. The possibilities are endless. The memories are priceless. Happy Heeling to All, Happy in Heels:wavey:

As a regular reader of the printed Daily Mail (sorry, Benno!), I don't look at the online version too often but have now read the article - and the 219 readers' comments.

The responses are almost universally adverse - a mixture of disgust and incredulity. That is disappointing, to say the least, and (despite the entrenched beliefs of certain members) not typical of the paper's readership - although I would accept that it is primarily conservative by nature.

I think that the tenor of the article and its origins has, regrettably, skewed the perception of male heel wearing too far away from acceptable UK normality to allow for a more balanced (indeed, sympathetic) reaction. We have the US trendy club scene as a restrictive background, complete with a clutch of interviewees who carry the fashion to an extreme (with expenditure to match) and illustrated by a couple of nice young boys about whom certain critical conclusions may well be drawn, however unfairly or irrelevantly.

If an article of a similar nature featured some identifiably down-to-earth lads in a provincial British town, strutting their stuff in boots or loafers with 3 - 4" cuban or slim block heels (or maybe even stilettos), I strongly suspect that the reaction would have been far less critical. Indeed, I guess that we would have seen comments such as 'That looks cool'; 'I could wear those'; 'My boyfriend should try that look'.

As a further step to bringing our interests 'out of the closet', the article is not unwelcome. But it is, alas, by no means a positive advertisement for the cause. I suspect it has set us back somewhat by focussing on extremes which will be seen in a negative light by many of those whose acceptance we seek. I found it discomforting and I am already a believer!

If an article of a similar nature featured some identifiably down-to-earth lads in a provincial British town, strutting their stuff in boots or loafers with 3 - 4" cuban or slim block heels (or maybe even stilettos), I strongly suspect that the reaction would have been far less critical. Indeed, I guess that we would have seen comments such as 'That looks cool'; 'I could wear those'; 'My boyfriend should try that look'.

Not from a daily mail reader, they're all middle aged Tory spinsters.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The cascade effect of this NYT article is STAGGERING.

Jezebel, another well known site, wrote on the same topic as a result if the times piece http://m.jezebel.com/5850320/fashionable-men-are-stepping-out-in-womens-high-heels and if you do a search for men in heels on twitter, the stream of results that feeds back as a result if the Times piece is mesmerizing (long). This is a real boon to "the community"

Apparently Cosmopolitan is also following up with a story.

Not from a daily mail reader, they're all middle aged Tory spinsters.

Are you speaking for yourself, Doc? :smile:

However, spinsters (even middle-aged Tory ones, reputedly) do of course have boyfriends - but whether they ever marry is another matter.

Someone at work caught the story from an online source, and all hell broke loose. I now know what kind of narrow minded people I have around me in the workplace, and I had better be damned careful where I strut my stuff. Lets just say the comments I heard at work were far worse than anything we saw in the article comments. Damned scary at minimum. Disturbing, violent, and flat out vehemently negative.

Someone at work caught the story from an online source, and all hell broke loose. I now know what kind of narrow minded people I have around me in the workplace, and I had better be damned careful where I strut my stuff.

Lets just say the comments I heard at work were far worse than anything we saw in the article comments. Damned scary at minimum. Disturbing, violent, and flat out vehemently negative.

I wonder if the comments were sincere, or were they fueled by peer pressure, fear of ridicule, or any of the other reasons people in groups tend to hide their true thoughts, and just go along with what they think people want to hear...

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Well, I got asked tonight about the article from one of my regular customers. They seemed to really like the article. I thier mind anyways the article really validated what I'm doing in my stilettos. This article has really crept up hear in my neck of the woods. Remember this is a mainstream printed article, comments were not included. THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 3 weeks later...

There's progress. These days I'm out in heels pretty much all of my free time, and reactions are changing. For the better. After a decade of heeling, and about 5 years in-your-face, I've gotten pretty good at it I guess. Skill and confidence might have something to do with it - but the reactions I get these days are surprise, curiosity, and some admiration. No more laughter, sometimes a giggle, and nothing offensive at all. And I'm sure there are youtube clips and Facebook postings of me out there as cellphones still get pulled out. But, in the same way as a red Ferrari makes it onto Facebook walls, admiration is part of the reason why people share. Regardless, I almost spit out my morning coffee when I stumbled upon the article in the paper version of the Times that morning. It was a great event no doubt, but the two gentlemen are just a little bit too edgy for the cattle out there. It has some kind of in-your-face effect, while a real undercurrent style change would be less like a punch and more like a gentle sustained push. For a split second I expected a picture of myself there - there have been plenty of pictures taken. While I'm not hiding, being in the NYT in 4 inchers is not my objective as the corporate circus in which I monkey around, wouldn't get it and it would cost me traction there. Thankfully, I'm not even close to making it to the NYT standard, so seeing myself in the paper would be more of a shock for that reason, rather than the heels. I'm certainly way less fashionable than these two men - practical 3.5-4.5" heels, skinny bootcut jeans, a turtleneck and leather jacket perhaps - and get away with it, pretty much all the time, everywhere. I have disappeared into the noise. These fellows go for runway-edginess, and will never go under the radar, but that's not what they want. More power to them. It was a great article. Could have been better for this community if it pushed the boundaries just a little less, but an article of that size in the NYT does way more than all of us here moaning about how much the world is getting it wrong. Get your boots on and get out there. Wearing out your keyboard won't move the needle.

What's all the fuss about?

I wonder if the comments were sincere, or were they fueled by peer pressure, fear of ridicule, or any of the other reasons people in groups tend to hide their true thoughts, and just go along with what they think people want to hear...

No I'm sure these guys are serious. A couple of the locals decided in a drunken state to go out to a local campground that caters to gay guys and pick fights. There have been teachers in the local school system that left their jobs shortly after they were discovered. The school system didn't have to do it. The harassment by the locals was too much for the teachers to handle.

A couple years ago, we had a guy show up at work only to discover that in his haste, he had grabbed his wife's underwear out of the laundry, or so he and his wife claim. All the guys discovered it while changing into their work uniforms first thing in the morning. The guys harassed him to the point where he quit his job later in that week.

I have discovered how the article was found and spread locally. A few local Baptist church members spread it by email to fellow church members and added their own negative commentary. So far I haven't received it in email, but it's been around the block. I kinda think these people go out looking for anything in the media that doesn't mix with their beliefs of what they think society should be, and then rant about it.

I have had a look around and wherever this article is published (in its variations) there is the picture of the two guys with the black stiletto heels. I found the following shoes on ebay for 12£ and decided to give that style a go! I just have to find the right trousers and I'll be out clubbing in London in what I will call "new LA style".

post-32991-133522961787_thumb.jpg