How easy were heels for you?

quella

I'm not here desiring to be proud of my heel accomplishments, but I have a pair of 5" spiked heel without any platform and apart from some calf muscle sorness and a little knee pain, I do not find it all that hard to walk in heels this heigh. I was wondering if you found it easy or hard when you first started wearing heels? I would like to move up to a 6" or 7" heel in the future and it does not seem to be a balance issue more then my flexability of my foot. I can walk, run, and do just about anything I want in these 5" heels. Is that normal or not for a beginner? Quella

Not bad at all. Some people's ankle/foot structure works well with heels right off the bat. I never had too many problems, and was even able to stand/hobble around first time in ballet heels. Even if you're doing well in 5" heels be sure to practice quite a bit before moving up to 6" heels as they are quite a diferent animal. Oh darn, gotta spend more time standing/walking in your heels :smile:

(formerly known as "JimC")

Jim C. Thanks for your advice. I often take the 5" heels and walk and run around in the in the basement on carpet. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not. I have not worn them for more then 3 hours around the house; I try to force myself to stand to watch tv or doing things just to see if I can handle the shoes for long term. I do have to say that the Ankle Boots give me more support and that may be one of the reasons they seem easier also. Just a few thoughts. I also know that many heels are measured differently so one company's 5" is anothers 4.5" or even 5.5". I think that as I move up to 6" or even 7", it will need to also be in a boot for the support. I'm looking forward to it someday. Quella

I found heels very easy and mastered 5" heels within hours of putting them on. 6" was a little more difficult to master but after ballet heels they're easy!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think attitude has something to do with it -- I really wanted to wear heels, so had very little trouble. Actually having heard my sister and friends carrying on about how awful high heels were, I think I was a bit disappointed in the lack of challenge. Yes, manufacturers measure heel heights differently. They used to be measured at the front of the heel. Since 10 cm is just short of 4 inches, some sellers sell 12 cm heels as 5 inches (really 4 3/4), and heels sold as 6 inches are really 14 cm (5 1/2 inches). Then again there are some 6 inch heels that are closer to 7. If there's a style you're curious about, just post a link on the forum and some member is bound to own a pair and will be able to give you the true specs.

For proper ambulation, then 4.5" is my llimit for any distance, 4" is an all day heel height, and has been for 2 years now. 5.25" is ok for short distances (as avatar). No higher though. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

1st time i wore a 6 inch heel i was at home.Fell back on my bed couldnt walk that great looked like i was drunk.Now i can do 6 inch heels no problem.I have a pair of boots with 6 1/4 heels wore them all day today.feet are a lil sore but i did manage top walk in them.Guess takes some practice walking in 6 inch heels.I would say practice at home .Before you wear out in the public.

In the classic words of an IT geek, it all depends. As some have pointed out, the labeled height of a heel varies depending on the size of the shoe/boot and the manufacture (and the phase of the moon and the alignment of the planets). As others have mentioned there is a difference in each person’s physical geometry that dictates the limit of the heel height they can manage. And as always, practice, practice and more practice is the real key to wearing heels well. Walking in heels should look and feel natural. If it doesn’t and you can’t straighten your knee when you’re standing, the heel is too high (for now). There is a noticeable difference between a 4” heel and a 5” heel. But there is a BIG difference between a 5” heel and a 6” or 7” heel. I can walk very comfortably in a 5” heel but a 5.5” starts to feel awkward and I can’t straighten my knee in a 6”. I recommend you practice with a 5” heel for a while until it really is natural, then move to a 5.5” rather than a 6” or 7”. If the 5.5” is comfortable, move on up but don’t try to push the height farther than is comfortable and allows natural walking. I think wearing heels should be about liking the look and enjoying the feel rather than about enduring pain.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

4inch heels took me a wee bit to master - not much. It took a good 3 years to master 6 inch heels (no platforms). I have some 7 inch heels (no platforms) and have worn these on and off but am not getting much better in them. As you push the height higher and higher it becomes exponentially harder to wear them with each extra inch. 6 inches is my comfortable height for daily wear and I doubt I will ever master 7 inches - these remain shoes for short walks and lots of sitting.... I wear my heels a great deal and for 8 hour days approx 3 out of 5 days and it has taken this time to be able to walk well in ALL situations in stilettos in comfort. I found wearing them out and about was easily twice as hard as at home/ inside because the surfaces are harder and uneven and varying, some streets go up and down and worst is sideways camber (eg crossing a steep street), stones, grates etc etc. Marble and polished linoleum in malls/ hotels can be really treacherous for a metal tipped stiletto heel, cobbled pavements catch your heels, stair cases require care - and mastering this takes ages....When your heels sink into carpet etc you probably lose 5mm of height (easily) and that 5mm can make all the difference. I believe if you can't walk around inside in your heels on tip toes (with the heels well off the floor (say at least 1cm)) then you couldn't wear them outside on uneven hard surfaces as you need that extra flex. You'll just get the ankle shakes. Its these extra pressures on the ankles and foot that take so long to get used to. I think girls get it easier because they naturally have more flexibility in their forefoot and ankles. If you want to have "endurance" in heels you need to do hours and hours and hours in all different situations, this can't come without putting in the miles. Heel-Lover

I don't ever remember ever having a problem with walking in heels up to 5". Even as a toddler when I played with my Moms 3or4" pumps clicking around the house. I guess it just sorta came natural for me. Now I have been practicing in 5 3/4" and getting pretty good at it. I do 4" all day and night like they were flats and love it.

real men wear heels

For me 3 inches is were 'exitement' begins and 5 inches is were it ends. 6 inches or higher without a platform is an absolute NO for me. My favourite heel height is 4 inches. 5 inches is the highest I can handle anything higher is no more fun.

Wow. Thanks very much for your detailed and honest responses. It seems that there really is a difference with 5" to 6". I have to agree that I was a bit dissapointed with wearing 5" and not seeming to have any reay trouble, My wife compalins with 3" or 3.25" heels, yet I would think these very easy. It may also be the length of wear issue. I'm not sure I could do 5" for 4 hours or more of walking or standing. Some day I hope to go 6" and 7", but now I think I will stick with practicing (as you have all said) with my 5" heels. I'm sure that the boot support has also greatly helped me in my working with heels. Quella

There is also a big difference is wearing a 5” heel on a size 8 than a similar heel on a size 14. Shoe designers try to keep the proportions of the shoe in scale but by the time you get to large sizes there is only so much they can do. My 5” heel is on a size 14 and is very comfortable but the same heel (or even a 4”) on a size 8 would require a much sharper angle in the ankle. You didn’t tell us what size you or your wife wears but if her size is significantly smaller than yours; her 3.5” may be more difficult than your 5”. Or it might be that your ankle is more flexible than hers. If she says a 3.5” is her limit, she probably has a good reason for that opinion. Like I said, heels are for looks not pain.:smile:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

An old girlfriend of mine had some good advice for walking in higher heels - point your foot as you step forward, and take smaller steps. I tried this and it did seem to make it easier to walk in 4-inch plus heels, as the sole of the shoe hits the ground a little before the heel, and gives you more control while walking.

bootopia: Thats when people start having real problems with 5"+ heels, once you reach the point you can not flex your ankle to put the ball of your foot down first you've gone past your stability point. While you might be able to stand with your foot back you may not be able to walk controlably when that happens. One reason to make sure you work slowly up and stay within your comfort zone for a while.

(formerly known as "JimC")

An old girlfriend of mine had some good advice for walking in higher heels - point your foot as you step forward, and take smaller steps. I tried this and it did seem to make it easier to walk in 4-inch plus heels, as the sole of the shoe hits the ground a little before the heel, and gives you more control while walking.

Hi Bootopia,

I think walking toe first, heel second is asking for problems. This is not the best advice. If you can handle that "flex" of the ankle to an angle steeper than the heel - which you must be able to in order to walk that way you suggest then you can manage to put the heel down first and rock the shoe forward onto the toe so that the weight is then distributed.

Wearing high heels should always be heel-toe and heel-toe in each step.

The problems arise when a person doesn't have the flex in the arch of the foot and ankle to "roll" forward from the point at which the heel touches to allow the toes to come to the ground - this leads to over-bending of the knees and that "sitting back" sort of look. It also leads to pidgeon toed walking as turning in your toes in heels has the same effect as lowering the heel height slightly (in terms of ease of walking and flex/ extension when walking)

You can use your hips to walk:ie. push your hip over your foot as you walk (which reduces the need for flex as your foot is not as far forward with each step which reduces the angle the foot must flex to - again has a similar effect of lowering the effective heel-height. Hence most women who are regular heel wearers walk using their hips. Admittedly their wider hips facilitate this even more so than us guys but the principle is still the same.

In terms of stride length or length of step - well they naturally shorten in heels as once again the longer the step the further ahead of your body your ankle becomes which means for you to roll the heel to toe (and put you toes on the ground) becomes increasingly harder as your step lengthens for any given shoe height. Similarly shortening your stride means you can wear higher shoes.

In terms of balance - the trick is to always have one set of toes fully in contact with the ground.... sounds easy but is a bit tricky to ensure - and this takes practice. When the heel touches down with a step - before the foot rolls forward to land the toes down flat it should be noted that the other foot still has the toes down flat (the heel is probably lifting as the foot tilts forward). Once the toes are down with new step (ie Heel and toe both landed) then the other foot continues to lift off to a new step and as the new step ends the heel comes down to the ground first while the other previous foot's heel is starting to unweight... etc.. etc..

Most guys - if we analyse our walk have quite a few times when we have no real contact with the ground (maybe just a heel) as we move faster - and it is this walk that also gets us in trouble if we don a pair of stilettos without controlling it.

This is what takes the practise - and if walking gracefully in heels then you are probably doing it all without realising it. (In My Opinion Anyway)

And it also explains why if you want to run across a road etc in very high heels you are best to "sit your bum down a bit" - ie. squat a teensy bit and run in shorter steps than normal from the knees down mainly - ie a fast sort of shuffle. Any longer steps in very high heels (such as running properly) is asking to bend or break a stiletto.

Better go, thats probably my quota of words for a weeks worth of posts used up...

Heel-Lover

I am somewhat embarrassed after reading some of the other replies to this question. I thought I was doing really well in finding myself able to walk comfortably for over a mile in 4 inch heels and totter for short distances in 6 inch heels. Then I read that some of you can handle 6 inches quite well and a couple even 7 inches! I find that absolutely incredible. I would break a leg for sure if I tried to walk even two steps in 7 inch heels although I'd love to have a pair to change into once I'm comfortably seated at a restaurant.

...... Wearing high heels should always be heel-toe and heel-toe in each step.......

Totally agree with you.

............You can use your hips to walk:ie. push your hip over your foot as you walk (which reduces the need for flex as your foot is not as far forward with each step which reduces the angle the foot must flex to - again has a similar effect of lowering the effective heel-height. Hence most women who are regular heel wearers walk using their hips. Admittedly their wider hips facilitate this even more so than us guys but the principle is still the same.......

So true. I remember the first couple of time I was out in heels for a substantial amount of time, like 5-8 hours, my hips ached the day after. That's when I realized one walkes differently in heels and uses other muscle group than "flat shoe" walking.

I am somewhat embarrassed after reading some of the other replies to this question. I thought I was doing really well in finding myself able to walk comfortably for over a mile in 4 inch heels and totter for short distances in 6 inch heels. Then I read that some of you can handle 6 inches quite well and a couple even 7 inches! I find that absolutely incredible. I would break a leg for sure if I tried to walk even two steps in 7 inch heels although I'd love to have a pair to change into once I'm comfortably seated at a restaurant.

Don't be embarrassed! It takes practise, and besides not everyones feet can handle the higher heels. The same with women. Look how Pata handles plus 6" and ballett boots, even playing football/soccer in them!

The first time I walked with 4½" heels I thought I could never walk properly in them. It felt, and probably looked, very awkward. Now I can spend almost a whole party evening in 5½-6" (7-10 hours), including dancing. (As long as I can sit down every now and then *s*)

Guest Loveshiheels

I found wearing 5" quite easy to walk in, which were the first heels I bought. I have a pair of 6.5 heels just walk about in them. Standing in them no problem.

I'm sure that much of my ease of use I have been having with 5" heels is that I wear a size womans 13 and my wife wears a womans 9.5. Her foot is smaller so a heel of the same height would be different for me, unless makers correct for this. Is there an easy way to measure angle to determine the difference betweem her and my heel height? Is there a formula or some templates of how High Heel shoes are made? Comments or suggestions. Quella

I took to heels fairly easily. Granted, I never really got into the super high ones, but I didn't experience any of the pains I hear women complain of. And I'm talking about after a few hours of wear... not just "I can slip these on with no problem" vs. "She's danced for four hours in those heels."

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I began with three inch heels in my teens, and after a goodly amount of practice, it became surprisingly easy to walk in them, and I've been wearing heels ever since. While I can comfortably wear five inchers, I never exceed four, especially for daylong outings at the mall where I do a lot of walking. I've gone as many as seven to eight hours in four inchers without much in the way of discomfort. And I'm thankful for that.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Quella: It's also worth taking into account where the heels are being worn. As others have said, wearing them outside is a *lot* harder than indoors. The first time I had a night out in four inch heels I was amazed at how much harder they were to manage on pavements than carpets. Lotsofheels: No need for embarassment, I've been wearing heels for as long as I can remember and I can do four inches for a night out, up to five with reasonable confidence indoors and can barely totter in six. I've never really aimed at anything over four though, because that's where the high-street heels seem to top out and I prefer fashion footwear to fetish. In fact I'm actually considering something around 3.5 for going out in! Chris

I'm at the low end of the spectrum, but not at all ashamed of it (somebody has to be there!). I wear block heels of 2-3 inches in public most of the time, and never had a look or comment. I have a pair of western-style mules with a 3.5" heel that I've walked a mile in, and that's my height limit. I can't walk in 4" heels. My foot doesn't even bend enough to fit into a 4.5" heel. So I'll stick with the lower high heel range that's right for me. The plus side is that my wife is totally ok with my heels, as long as the shoes are masculine or unisex looking, so that includes clogs/mules, loafers, and boots (I could wear sandals but I don't like to). GWL

I'm sure that much of my ease of use I have been having with 5" heels is that I wear a size womans 13 and my wife wears a womans 9.5. Her foot is smaller so a heel of the same height would be different for me, unless makers correct for this. Is there an easy way to measure angle to determine the difference betweem her and my heel height? Is there a formula or some templates of how High Heel shoes are made?

Comments or suggestions.

Quella

Hi Quella,

If looking at a stiletto heel the easiest way to determine this accurately is to..

compare the distance (or gap) between where the heel touches the ground and where the first part of the flat bit of sole touches the ground. The closer this gap - effectively the higher the heel for the wearer. In addition the angle of the front of the foot - (ie from just after the toes to the ankle- the bit that is exposed in a pump) relative to the leg when standing upright. The closer the front of the foot is to vertical the higher the heel.

eg. If the knee to ankle is straight up and down - and then the ankle to the toes is also straight up and down - then you are looking at a very high heel for the wearer. This is also a good gauge of when you have to stop raising your own heel height - as walking beyond this is a bit ridiculous - it can be done but is really impracticable.

hope this helps - but this is how I compare heel-heights...

Heel-Lover

Heel Lover, Thanks for the extra detail in your message above. I get the concept of the shorter distance between the heel and the first part of the sole that hits the ground, the narrower this distance is the heigher the heel is. I'm not sure I fully understand the second one all the way. Are you saying that if one measures the heel to toes flat and then measures them in a heel (in a line), you can tell how heigh the heel is by the shorter length in the second measurement? I'm not a math person, so forgive me if these are silly questions. I can see that if you have a shoe size 8 with a 5" heel you would get a specific angle of slope from the heel to the point where the foot touches the ground. Yet if I have a pair of size 13 with a 5" heel, this angle would be a bit lower (I think) as the distance or amount of foot is greater in the bigger size. So, a woman with a size 6 shoe in 5" heels is much different then a man wearing a size 14 in a 5"; or do the shoe makes compensate for such differences in size to heel heigh? I think if I measure my wifes heel that is 3.5", it measure correctly and the same for my 5" heeled boots. Sorry for not being clear, but I'm just trying to understand the science of making such shoes and how they have to modify the height or angle to adjust for shoe size. I guess I may have to do some googling. :smile: Thanks for all your help. Quella

Ok, someone tell me what's wrong with this method. I measure the height of my ankle bone from the floor when barefoot and then measure the hight of my ankle while wearing a pair of heels. The difference in this measurement is actually the total height I gain when wearing heels of different height. It doesn't have much correlation between the height of the heel and how much taller I am when wearing them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.