eBay, aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhh!

Folks,

last night I stayed up late to follow an auction on a pair of boots that I tried to get hold of for some time already.

I contacted the bidder in advance and asked him if he would allow for foreign bidders (I live in Germany and shipping was U.S. only). He told me he wouldn't mind...

The moment I started bidding eBay spit out a warning that the seller might not want to ship abroad. Since I talked to him earlier already I hit 'continue' though. I then ended up with just a message that I wasn't entitled to bid in this auction!!! And I had to let go...

The seller told me that once an initial bid was placed he couldn't update the aution anymore regarding 'item ships to: ...'.

And I thought they 'fixed' it, since I run into that issue once before some years ago. -- Man, they live of the charges of stuff that's being sold - the higher the price the better. Obviously they didn't quite get that point yet...

CU!

-Mike

It's a shame. I get it all the time that I see something I like in a foreign Ebay and quite often they categorically refuse to ship to me or not answer my messages. I must stop torturing myself over it!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...

There is only one thing I don't like on eBay.......SNIPERS! They're the lot that waits until THE last second, then outbids you. They even have programs that will allow you to do this! I think it takes the fun out of the auction myself, feeling like you have won an auction, then at the last second...........ZAP! You lose! Makes me pretty much stick to the "buy it now" section for any deals I'm looking for, which at least I can still find plenty of good deals on, but I'm just not as eager to enter a bidding war as I used to be.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

All winter long, I've been following the auction of a special pair of Nine West Boots. It appeared early on that the seller had several pair of these boots in their stock. Each time the end of the auction approached, and I was the highest bidder at less than the "by now price," at the last minute someone would outbid me for them. Then, a couple of days after the auction was ended, I would see, what I assumed were, the same pair relisted for auction again. After this happened on three occasions, I got the idea that the party outbidding me was the seller -- effectively taking them out of play because they hadn't received the price they wanted. Now, I wonder if this is even possible? (I stopped bidding on any items placed for sale by these people because I never could win an auction at the lowest price I offered.)

. . . I got the idea that the party outbidding me was the seller -- effectively taking them out of play because they hadn't received the price they wanted. Now, I wonder if this is even possible? (I stopped bidding on any items placed for sale by these people because I never could win an auction at the lowest price I offered.)

This practice is called "shill bidding" and is not permitted under eBay rules. Should this seller get caught in this activity, he could get banned from eBay (meaning, of course, that he would have to establish a new account under a new e-mail address, new financial info and a new mailing address to continue).

You might consider reporting your observations and suspicions to eBay.

Have a happy time!

• 2 weeks later...

I buy heels regularly on EBay - and I have come to the conclusion that it is run solely for the benefit of EBay. The interests of the Sellers are a close second - as it is they who provide the income through commisions - as well as advertisers.

The BBC in the UK have a Consumer Programme called "Watchdog" - which has challenged EBay on several occasions on such diverse consumer complaints as 'excess postal fees' being charged to Buyers, 'fake designer goods' being sold by 'Power-Sellers', 'non-payment strikes' being given to people who have already paid etc etc.

In ALL the cases the BBC have reported - EBay have sided with the SELLER - in some cases - allowing Power-Sellers to continue trading fake goods - even AFTER the Sellers have been prosecuted by the British Trading Standards Authorities.

My advice..?? - use EBay at your own risk...................................and familiarise yourself with the pitfalls.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 2 weeks later...

I purchase a lot of stuff on E=bay, especially Buffy the Vampire cards I need to finish my Buffy sets! I have seen odd bids once and awhile, but it does not happen that often. If I had a problem with a seller I let E-bay know about it, or put them on my #### list! ;)

It bugs the heck out of me to think I am the winner of an item that I'm bidding on and then get cheated out at the last mili-second by someone out- bidding me on it. It certainly is disconcerting to have this happen. I usually now look for the "buy it now" items and don't bid on the other things no matter what they are. I have gotten some nice items on that catagory. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Just get yourself a 2nd ebay account registered in USA. you can use any address as they dont check you out and then just tie it to your paypal account as normal. Andi

Smile and the whole world smiles with you, Fart and your on your own!!!

Folks,

last night I stayed up late to follow an auction on a pair of boots that I tried to get hold of for some time already.

I contacted the bidder in advance and asked him if he would allow for foreign bidders (I live in Germany and shipping was U.S. only). He told me he wouldn't mind...

The moment I started bidding eBay spit out a warning that the seller might not want to ship abroad. Since I talked to him earlier already I hit 'continue' though. I then ended up with just a message that I wasn't entitled to bid in this auction!!! And I had to let go...

The seller told me that once an initial bid was placed he couldn't update the aution anymore regarding 'item ships to: ...'.

And I thought they 'fixed' it, since I run into that issue once before some years ago. -- Man, they live of the charges of stuff that's being sold - the higher the price the better. Obviously they didn't quite get that point yet...

CU!

-Mike

forunately ive never had any probs with ebay, regularly get stuf off ebay uk, even at a live auction it happens too when new people come in at the last minute, if u want the boots jst put a bonkers bid in 30secs from the end and that should fk them off....

I never undertsood the sniper argument. Can't you just enter the maximum bid you are prepared to make for the item and the software simply outbids others in small amounts untill your max is reached. If a sniper outbids your max, at the last minute or not, you wouldn't have wanted the item anyway at that price.

I already bougth a lot of stuff on ebay, including high heels and boots. Some nice outfits and dresses, never had any mayor problems. Last I even bought some nice red high heels with snake pattern, they are really lovely. Sometimes it happens that I'm outbid at the last second, and sometimes the seller comes back to me with a second chance and I ussualy go for it. I would say that ebay isn't so bad. Happy bidding anyway

FoxyLady

Just get yourself a 2nd ebay account registered in USA. you can use any address as they dont check you out and then just tie it to your paypal account as normal.

Andi

And then you have to deal with a seller, who will only ship to the address you registered on either eBay or PayPal ...

• 1 month later...

I never undertsood the sniper argument.

Can't you just enter the maximum bid you are prepared to make for the item and the software simply outbids others in small amounts untill your max is reached.

If a sniper outbids your max, at the last minute or not, you wouldn't have wanted the item anyway at that price.

The sniper is useful to avoid the bid competition or shill-bidding that make climb the final price.

Test the sniping yourself, so you can see the benefits:

for example:

http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

On eBay it is the highest bidder who wins, not the last bidder. Read up on how eBay's proxy bidding system works at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html

Best bidding strategy:

- Bid once

- Bid the absolute most you're willing to pay

- Bid as late as you can

Why bid late? (sniping)

- prevents others from nibbling away your high bid

- prevents bid stalking

- you don't tie up your money and emotional attachment to the item for 7 days

I find there is one more advantage to bidding at the last possible moment -- it absolutely prevents me from getting into a "bidding war" with another member. In short, it enforces "onyourtoes" policy of bidding the absolute most you are willing to pay.

Have a happy time!

Tressa and I buy and sell all the time on e-bay. It enables, mostly me, us to rotate our heels without too much cost, they really do not lose their value. We sell internationally and have bought some international. You can not view an item that is not listed international for shipping or particularly for your nation unless you specifically enter an international e-bay directly. They will not allow revisions once bids are made to protect buyers from being missled into something other than what they are bidding on. I bid at minimal alot because it is the only way to get a good deal. Will go higher on the "perfect" heels. Anyway, e-bay is so big if you do not get what you want just wait it will be back.

• 4 months later...

On eBay it is the highest bidder who wins, not the last bidder. Read up on how eBay's proxy bidding system works at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html

Best bidding strategy:

- Bid once

- Bid the absolute most you're willing to pay

- Bid as late as you can

Why bid late? (sniping)

- prevents others from nibbling away your high bid

- prevents bid stalking

- you don't tie up your money and emotional attachment to the item for 7 days

I purchase a lot of stuff on E=bay, especially Buffy the Vampire cards I need to finish my Buffy sets! I have seen odd bids once and awhile, but it does not happen that often. If I had a problem with a seller I let E-bay know about it, or put them on my #### list!

8)

Another thing to add to onyourtoes strategy, study the Bidders that you are up against. Look at the Bidders feed back history and you can view the items that they won, which will lead you to their bidding habbit in the bidding history. Sometimes reviewing the Seller's history helps too. You can see the items sold with the winning bid price.

Bidding on Ebay can be like a poker game. Some Bidders push or bump the bids up high during bid wars. Some Bidders bid high in the beginning and scar others off. Some Bidders will simple appear from nowhere and win the auction with a last minute high bid.