Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I had an interesting experience when trying on shoes at a closing down sale a week ago. I stumbled upon the sale when I was passing by so I went in looking for some running shoes. I was wearing a knee length grey pencil skirt and the heels in the pic attached. The shop was very small and packed full of people trying shoes either with or without the help of the sales people. I had a saleswoman get me two styles of trainers in my size and I sat down at one of the fitting seats and slipped my pumps off, and left them there on the floor while I tried out the trainers. Everyone was squeezed in side by side trying out shoes. While walking to and fro I saw a girl (20-ish most likely) who had been trying out heaps of styles professionally flick her foot into one of my pumps as she was standing there. She stood up on it and back down and up on it again and rocked it around. Naturally it was a bit too large and she picked it up along with its partner. At this stage I had to interrupt in fear of loosing the shoes etc...by which time she had noticed the wear on the soles and the tip toes petals. She said she just wanted to try them on and said she didn't believe they were mine since guys don't wear heels (she was playing I think). I pointed out to here that I already had a skirt on and foot jewellery so it would logically follow that they could be mine. She had a laugh and said they felt good on. The sales person asked if the trainers fitted ok, I told her that I would take them. She then grabbed the shoe box and the other girl handed my pumps to the saleswoman who said she would go and pack them up and start the sale process. Hang on I had to say, I am not walking out of here with trainers on, please give me my high heels back and give me a second to take these trainers off. So I swapped over and put the heels back on my feet. Quite a few people had gathered during the course of my shopping and were watching, and I had an audience as I left the shop. I noticed a lot of people who had hung around etc... The shop was on the main street and I had to walk 2 blocks down this street for a start. There was nothing to do other than rise to the challenge and walk away (hopefully not break a heel in a crack in the pavement). Halfway down the road I met up with the same girl who said hi again and told me that I walked really well in the shoes and she didn't know how i did it. It is actually quite hard to carry stuff in one hand only and walk in heels with even stride etc..and nobody had anything negative/ narrow minded to say!! Overall an exhilarating experience! Heel-Lover

post-642-13352284678_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had an interesting experience when trying on shoes at a closing down sale a week ago. I stumbled upon the sale when I was passing by so I went in looking for some running shoes. I was wearing a knee length grey pencil skirt and the heels in the pic attached. The shop was very small and packed full of people trying shoes either with or without the help of the sales people. I had a saleswoman get me two styles of trainers in my size and I sat down at one of the fitting seats and slipped my pumps off, and left them there on the floor while I tried out the trainers. Everyone was squeezed in side by side trying out shoes.

While walking to and fro I saw a girl (20-ish most likely) who had been trying out heaps of styles professionally flick her foot into one of my pumps as she was standing there. She stood up on it and back down and up on it again and rocked it around. Naturally it was a bit too large and she picked it up along with its partner. At this stage I had to interrupt in fear of loosing the shoes etc...by which time she had noticed the wear on the soles and the tip toes petals.

She said she just wanted to try them on and said she didn't believe they were mine since guys don't wear heels (she was playing I think). I pointed out to here that I already had a skirt on and foot jewellery so it would logically follow that they could be mine. She had a laugh and said they felt good on.

The sales person asked if the trainers fitted ok, I told her that I would take them. She then grabbed the shoe box and the other girl handed my pumps to the saleswoman who said she would go and pack them up and start the sale process. Hang on I had to say, I am not walking out of here with trainers on, please give me my high heels back and give me a second to take these trainers off. So I swapped over and put the heels back on my feet.

Quite a few people had gathered during the course of my shopping and were watching, and I had an audience as I left the shop. I noticed a lot of people who had hung around etc... The shop was on the main street and I had to walk 2 blocks down this street for a start. There was nothing to do other than rise to the challenge and walk away (hopefully not break a heel in a crack in the pavement). Halfway down the road I met up with the same girl who said hi again and told me that I walked really well in the shoes and she didn't know how i did it.

It is actually quite hard to carry stuff in one hand only and walk in heels with even stride etc..and nobody had anything negative/ narrow minded to say!!

Overall an exhilarating experience!

Heel-Lover

Eh? and you didnt ask for her number? I think you missed out there!

The angels have the phonebox.

Hello, I feel uncomfortable fitting heels in a regular shop. In a dedicated fetish shop or a transvestite shop I have no trouble. I purchased the greater part of my pumps through the internet, after checking by telephone or email what to expect of the fit. Greetings Hans

Hi, here is what I was wearing. (its spring here and we have had quite a few warm weeks but today just turned cold. It was definitely a bit breezier on the legs than I anticipated - and goosebumps aren't a good look...) Sorry about the low light - it was starting to get dark when I got in. Heel-Lover

post-642-133522846869_thumb.jpg

post-642-13352284687_thumb.jpg

Hi there- Thanks for the quick response - I just bought another 3 pair of heels today. I love the new styles out there and I reall feel they are targeting guys wearing hish heels. I love the pictures you sent. Thanks

Hello,

I feel uncomfortable fitting heels in a regular shop. In a dedicated fetish shop or a transvestite shop I have no trouble. I purchased the greater part of my pumps through the internet, after checking by telephone or email what to expect of the fit.

Greetings Hans

:unsure:I fully understand your feelings. I still get a "flutter" whenever I try on in shops, but I still carry on and do it. No-one in 30 years has complained. Quite the contrary, only ever helpful. On one occasion I had two indentical pairs, except for colour and heel style! I could not make up my mind which, so I asked the two assistants, they said why not take both? So I did. It was a closing down sale, and the two pairs cost me £5.00 I did not beleive them. I drove home - 125 miles with one of each on, changing over on the way. I still have one of each, the other one of each have hit the BIN. They don't last for ever.

Don't hesitate .....Do it! It's good for you.

:lmao:Muddypaws:w00t2:

Thank you for your kind peptalk, Muddy Paws. I know that this reluctancy is between my ears. Who will remember me after I left the shop? I remember the very first time in my life I bought heels, in 1969 or so. A small shop in The Hague, the female assistent was not even surprised. I tried to fit, the shoes were too small. Nevertheless I was so impressed of my "courage" I bought them. greetings Hans

I can only second all that was said. The fear is only in your head. Knowing that, I still get nervous every time. Otherwise just buying without trying them on first may leave you with a shoe that doesn't fit propperly. Been there, done that....

You should keep in mind that sales people that have worked in the store for a while have likely had men before try on women's shoes. Whenever I get to chat with the store manager I often bring up the question of whether they regularly have men buying shoes and the answer is always yes. My guess is that there are a lot of men buying women's shoes, but few that wear them outside. You only get the startled reaction from the new sales people.

You can get a startled reaction from the new sales assistant. With those who have worked for longer it can go the other way. I was in Nine West the other day, just browsing when the sales assistant inquired if she could help. I was happy just browsing but she said "If you want to try on any boots just l e t ..." and she trailed off. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to take her up on the offer of the boots I was looking at. Didn't want to buy them but it could have been fun!

Today I went into two Nine West shops and tried on a pair of boots in each. Sales women didn't have a problem with that. At Macys I asked for a size 11 and the woman said "you are lucky, Nine West runs up to size 11". I replied "I know, that's why I am here" (no problem there) After that I went into a payless. Sales women seemed to have no problem, but another buyer (woman) seemed to be a bit affraid. She didn't leave though, she went on shopping, but at a prudent distance. Haha!!!!

• 1 month later...

In big magazines, where they carry men and women shoes and you can pick what you like and try by yourself, I just take the shoe box to the men's side seats and try the shoes there. In small women's shoe stores, where it's always full of women trying them on, I buy only if they have size 12 US, without trying them.

Probably the only remotely negative experience was trying on a pair of boots in Macy's (Kaufmann's back then), and when I asked if they had my size, the sales lady looked at them, then looked at me with a look like "you aren't really going to try those on, are you?", so I looked back with a look like "yeah I'm going to try them on, and what of it?". Nobody else gave any notice when I tried them on, and when I got back to the counter the same lady asked if they fit OK. I'd say that's the only exception though, and all other times, the sales folk (men and women) are fine with it. Usually they smile, make sure they fit well, and seem just as helpful as if I was in the men's department buying a pair of loafers. Occasionally they bring out a pair and there's a brief confusion because they think "she" will be trying them on, but I say straight up that they are for me, and they are just fine with that. Some even make positive comments and seem intrigued by a guy buying "women's" shoes. As for other shoppers, a few may have glanced, but nobody seems to give it much thought.

Guest Loveshiheels

I buy my heels from e-bay as I,m a size 10uk and I like Heels above 5" which shops in the uk don't often do. I once bought a pair in clarks for fancy dress. Size 8, very tight fitting had to throw them in the bin when I got home!, but no one took any notice of me trying the heels on in the shop.

Loveshiheels wrote:

had to throw them in the bin when I got home!, but no one took any notice of me trying the heels on in the shop.

Why on earth did you buy them if you knew they wouldn't (or, didn't) fit before you paid for them?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have tried heels on (thigh high patent boots with 5" heels) only in a fetish store. The very first time it was so positive that I went back to the same store. But the 2nd time it was something of a bother. And just to make the same as earlier points, I bought the 1st time but not the 2nd!

It's all about the heel!

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the amount of people in the shop, I dare to ask nowadays to try them on. I went to a shoestore in my local town this WE and there where sales on, but because the shops are overcrowded, mainly with teenagers, I didn't dare to try shoes on. I didn't even bought heels. I bought a lovely skirt to wear today, dough.... Merry Christmas FL

FoxyLady

I just joined hhplace becasue I wanted to address buying and trying on heels. I believe the emloyees of Payless have been tipped off or trained to realize that a substantial portion of ther clintele buying larger sizes are men. Recently, I have been approached, offered help, tried on different high heels with assistance and offers to come back as a new style was to arrive the next day. I also get great response at 9 West although I wear an 11 Wide or a 12M and they do not have that except if your lucky. At 9 West though, if you buy on line and they don't fit, you can return them to any retail outlet. That's very convenient, because I, for one, hate to return by mail. Do not be afraid or nervous to try on heels. It's a ball.

Don't just tell us half the story, what did they say? How was their reaction?

Same as allways:Not much.

A few stares and giggles, but people try to act natural. The worst thing was get my heel stuck in the rubbergrill at the entrance and couldn't get it out. It must have looked hillarious, but it was not much fun for me:cry1:

• 2 weeks later...

i went in WILD PAIR once and there was this girl working there. she was kinda dressed like she was into goth. i figured me trying on shoes probably would not shock her too much. so i asked if she would let me go in back and try on shoes. pretty cool! i went in another store that was a goth style store and just sat there and tried on shoes. other than that, i wear trouser socks and a pair of slide on shoes, you can almost always sneek a pair on to try.

Nowadays it is usually no big deal if you live in a big city. Five years ago it was still a bit different. The first time I tried on some really high heel boots (OK, very high for me, they were 5 inches. some people here go much further), there came some girls to have a look at this guy trying on some heels. Some giggling. But the past several years I haven't noticed a thing. Of course, I don't parade through the shop. I just sit in a quiet corner. But the attendants look like I am not nearly the first to do this and won't be the last either. Recently I was in a shop in Spain and my wife and I asked for a pair of heels and the attendant had guessed immediately that they were for me, even though we spoke dutch to each other. He offered them to me for trying on. :santa_hat: Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

I was shopping today with my wife and we tried on loads of high heel boots and shoes. It's such a thrill to do this with my loved one. Words cannot express how happy I am right now. For my wife to encourage me to try, buy and then wear high heels in the street is fantastic. It's late but I had to tell you all. Like I said, I so happy and all because of my beautiful wife.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave: