Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Jeff, here are the "blades." They're not the greatest pix but this camera has issues with subdued lighting. These are the ones I wore with these pants the 2nd night at the outlet mall.

post-9697-133522858612_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858616_thumb.jpg

post-9697-13352285862_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858874_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

Jeff, here are the "blades." They're not the greatest pix but this camera has issues with subdued lighting. These are the ones I wore with these pants the 2nd night at the outlet mall.

Thanks for sharing. I can see them just fine, and I'm impressed as your boots look really sharp! I wouldn't mind having a pair of those myself.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi Jeff,

If you like those (which are pu) you might like these even better; Steve Madden black leather size 12 with a blade heel. The only problem with Steve Madden is that they run SMALL!

post-9697-133522858886_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858889_thumb.jpg

post-9697-13352285889_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

Wife and I went to Canton today to do a little shopping at Joann fabrics for the shop. Big sale day.:smile: After Joann's we decided to have a little fun shoe shopping. Went to DSW and I tried on a few pair my wife picked out. Got a few looks but nobody fainted. LOL. Went to Kohls and cliped cloped back to the womens shoes and really didn't find anything there either. On the way out of the store my wife caught a glimps of a young lady in her mid 20's starring at my noisy 4" stack heel mj's and seemed quite interested. I looked over , smiled and walked out of the store with my wife. Went to Burlington Coat factory and tried on a couple of patent mj's. No reaction at all. Then a quick stop a Macy's. No reaction there at all. A guy followed us out of the store, right on my bumper, I held the door for him, he thanked me without any reaction at all , I said YW and we went to the car. Next stop was Canton center. About the only place left open there is JC Penny's. Walked around a little, walked out and once again a lady sitting on the bench inside the door took an interest in my foot wear. All day it seemed like all the stares and looks I got were looks of interest and (I don't believe that guy can walk in those heels so well). BTW, I was wearing my heels all day while trying on others. These were only a couple places we went. It was a very fun day. :thumbsup:

real men wear heels

Hi Jeff,

If you like those (which are pu) you might like these even better; Steve Madden black leather size 12 with a blade heel. The only problem with Steve Madden is that they run SMALL!

Yeah, I do like! Not bad! Not bad at all!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I think we're on to something; if I'm not in my hh clogs, I may wear my 3" spike knee-high boots from Payless. What will I wear to the Ohio heel meet in October? Certainly not flip-flops, which belong in the shower. When I bought the boots, the clerk asked "are these for you?" They realize that there are those of us who simply like something different. Also have 4" blade boots from Payless, but prefer the spikes. Being boots, they fit tighter than pumps, and if you mis-step, there is less chance of hurting your ankle.

I have also had very good luck at Target. They carry some beautiful high heels in sizes 12 and 13 in a decent variety.

I've never seen a pair of women's shoes in a size larger than 11 in Target. Five different states.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I went shopping in the states earlier this week. Normally I have an ok time trying to find 11s-12s at the places at go, but I was striking out on the pairs I liked. Having said that, at a few stores I handed the shoe I wanted to the SAs and asked for my size and not a single one even hesitated. One even asked if I liked a similar pair and she would see if they had those. In all situation, they were all younger females, 17-25.

Wife and I went to Canton today to do a little shopping at Joann fabrics for the shop. Big sale day.:smile:

After Joann's we decided to have a little fun shoe shopping. Went to DSW and I tried on a few pair my wife picked out. Got a few looks but nobody fainted. LOL.

Went to Kohls and cliped cloped back to the womens shoes and really didn't find anything there either. On the way out of the store my wife caught a glimps of a young lady in her mid 20's starring at my noisy 4" stack heel mj's and seemed quite interested. I looked over , smiled and walked out of the store with my wife.

Went to Burlington Coat factory and tried on a couple of patent mj's. No reaction at all.

Then a quick stop a Macy's. No reaction there at all. A guy followed us out of the store, right on my bumper, I held the door for him, he thanked me without any reaction at all , I said YW and we went to the car.

Next stop was Canton center. About the only place left open there is JC Penny's. Walked around a little, walked out and once again a lady sitting on the bench inside the door took an interest in my foot wear. All day it seemed like all the stares and looks I got were looks of interest and (I don't believe that guy can walk in those heels so well). BTW, I was wearing my heels all day while trying on others. These were only a couple places we went. It was a very fun day. :thumbsup:

Johnieheel...

Congratulations on your fun outing. I think it is so cool to see all of the reations you get when people see you wearing high heels. But let me ask you a question: do you think the looks or comments would have been different if you were by yourself and your wife weren't with you? I am by myself when I am out and about in high heels so I really can't compare that to if I were with someone while I was wearing high heels. I was just curious about your thoughts.

Congrats again on your fun day.

I have been wearing heels and such for more than 25 years now, but just in the past 1.5 to 2 years have I started to try on heels in stores before buying them. I always wear a nice pair of heels into the stores so that the sales associates know that I'm serious. I have had wonderful shopping experiences in 2 different Nine West stores, but I was extremely nervous the first time I went into these stores and asked to try on heels. Sales associates at both stores have been terrific and made me feel very comfortable with trying on shoes. In one of the NW stores I shopped in recently the sales associate who helped me was working her very first day there, and she performed as if she had been helping men try on heels for years. I tried on some sandals, and she actually told me I had the prettiest toes she had ever seen (I had just been to get a pedicure a few days before.) She pulled off one of her hot heels to compare. She even commented later to the manager about how pretty my toes were. She also must have brought out at least a dozen different pairs for me to try on. I went back last week and shopped with her, and again she told me how pretty my toes were. I felt so comfortable shopping with her that it really didn't bother me at all when other customers came in and saw me trying on heels. I have also found a very nice sales associate in the women's shoe department at Belk's who has been terrific with me trying on heels. With the second pair that I bought from her (Anne Klein maryjanes) she actually encouraged me to just wear them right out of the store. So, I did just that. I have actually done that now 3 different times. Going shoe shopping and trying on heels is such a thrill!

• Like 1

Nice! In my trials, I have found it best to ask a salelady (especially gorgeous ones) if this would be OK. I have yet to have one say no! 2 or 3 have actually offered advice and it seemed to break the ice! I have worn them out only once, but it was really fun! Of course it was only from a department store (Burlington Coat Factory), but I tried them on first, so knew they fit, and got compliments on the way out!!

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

In my trials, I have found it best to ask a salelady (especially gorgeous ones) if this would be OK. I have yet to have one say no! 2 or 3 have actually offered advice and it seemed to break the ice!

I have worn them out only once, but it was really fun! Of course it was only from a department store (Burlington Coat Factory), but I tried them on first, so knew they fit, and got compliments on the way out!!

I've engaged conversation with the salespersons only a few times. They usually start the conversation with me. And like yourself, they usually compliment the look of me wearing the high heels. Most of the stores where I try them on and buy them, I have become bold enough to wear them out of the stores. And you are right, the reactions and comments are fun.

Johnieheel...

Congratulations on your fun outing. I think it is so cool to see all of the reations you get when people see you wearing high heels. But let me ask you a question: do you think the looks or comments would have been different if you were by yourself and your wife weren't with you? I am by myself when I am out and about in high heels so I really can't compare that to if I were with someone while I was wearing high heels. I was just curious about your thoughts.

Congrats again on your fun day.

I don't think the reactions would be any different at all because sometimes I'm in one part of the store and wife in another. I think most people are just a little supprised at first when they see a man in heels. Then its kind of an (o well) sorta thing.

real men wear heels

• 1 month later...

I've only bought a few in the store after seeing a pair that were so perfect I couldn't pass them up. Only once did I try them on first, and that was in a dead store. Almost all my shoes have come from online. I am too shy and nervous to be comfortable sitting there around larger crowds trying on women's shoes :o

I buy most of mine over the Net, but was in a Steve Madden Store today, and had to try on a pair. The SA was a bit surprised, but quickly gave me a hand. Unfortunately, they were too small and they didn't have any 11's in that style. Maybe next time. I have tried a few pairs on in Payless or DSW, but only when it is really quiet.

Proudly standing in my patent High Heels

... but was in a Steve Madden Store today, and had to try on a pair.

I have found that brand stores, such as Steve Madden, Nine West, and Bandolino stores to be very helpful to me; much more so than department stores. Once at a Nine West store, the associate simply handed me a pair that I requested and directed me to a chair to try them on without my asking. Also, I usually get better deals on the exact same shoe at their store than I can at Macy's or similar department store.

Style is built from the ground up!

two weeks ago i bought the first pair in a non-internet shop. I bought them in a large department store. Maybe, next time I'll try them before buy. (again in that large department store... :o )

You don't have to be brave to buy shoes. Just thought I'd add that in. It's only shoes. They won't hurt you, send you to jail, tar and feather you in public or any of that. The worst that will probably happen is some one might complement you.:o

real men wear heels

To the Thrift Store, to Payless, to any other shoe store, I've tried shoes on. Surrounded by people, seen by people, I still continue to try on. I mean, I don't want to regret a purchase cause I coward out of trying them on in-store. Online is a different story, of course. Either you know your size or not. Especially when it comes to boots, pointy-toes at that. your normal size is so thrown off then >.<

Formally "HHDude"

I went to payless just this morning and joy of joys, it was empty! The assistant came to ask if I needed help and I kindly declined. After spending 30 minutes trying on shoes, he came back and I declined again. After deciding on my two pairs I took them up and set them on the counter: no strange looks! Bought 2 1/2 in. Mary Janes and a nice pair of 3 1/2 strappy wedges! love them!

I love to try on the heels in the stores most time I go into the higher end stores where the sales clerk has to go to the stock room to get the size. When they return I always ask if it is ok to try them on never been refused and always gotten compliments on how well I walk and how it goes with what I am wearing. The last pair of bebe's I bought the clerk asked well aren't you going to wear them out of the store? They really look great on you.

The last pair of bebe's I bought the clerk asked well aren't you going to wear them out of the store? They really look great on you.

well, did you? and, what reaction, if any did you get?:o

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The last pair of bebe's I bought the clerk asked well aren't you going to wear them out of the store? They really look great on you.

Shoot, I'd take that as a resounding compliment, a challenge, and I'd do just that!

Hi there - for those of you in the UK, I e-mailed Faith and Aldo this week re males trying on high heeled shoes and boots in store. Both stated that they welcome all customers and will do all they can to put men at ease. Even better, both have stated that they will facilitate males trying on heels either, away from the shop floor or prior to the store opening! What great news! The customer service rep for Faith even contacted my local stores on my behalf, explained the situation to the staff and has now provided me with the managers telephone number so I can 'call ahead'. AMAZING! I cant wait for the new Faith and Aldo boots to arrive in store - I will be taking them up on this offer. The abiliy to try before I buy without the risk of idiots staring! :o