Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

OK Guys... do you or don't you want to walk in and try on and buy shoes and/or boots??? Point being.. if you don't go in to <insert shoe store name here>,<insert shoe store name here>won't know you or anyother guy wants what we want. On line is great, I do it, have done it, and will do it again, and I understand FF2s point $$, BUT I also go to the brick & mortar locations and have a lot of fun, trying on what ever I want, buying if they fit, conversing with the employees, suprising other customers. Of course my stress level goes up a little bit:w00t2: , of course my mouth gets a little dry and my hands shake the first couple of mins. in the store:w00t2: . After that it is a piece of cake AND I have made an impression on some small part of society to move toward accepting what I like and want. Then I wear my purchase, usually 5" stilettos/spike heels, to Burger King, get dinner and go home:clap: . Now I'll get off my soapbox and enjoy the rest of the day.

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

If I get them locally, like through Payless, then absolutely! No sense in taking them home and then finding out they don't work. If I buy online, like through eBay, then yes I take my chances. If they work, then great! If not, then I just list them myself to make some money back.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

agreed ! I dont care about trying heels on now cos the sizes vary. Soulmates daughter got me some size 7 heels at my request from Aldo - too big. Changed them for a 6; they are tight (but liveable). I would have bought others entirely if i'd tried them on !! Generally : pointy = 7 , round toed, = 6 Keep em high and try em on !!

Thanks Loswabs - I might just try that you know!

Have you found any shops to be receptive of you trying heels on - I prefer Aldo and Faith (as they stock size 9's!)

:cool1:

Every shop I've been in has been good with me trying on heels. I can't readily think of one that wasn't. Make it clear from the start the shoes are for you and the pressure you perceive quickly starts to subside... Somethng like "have you got these in a 9?" or "I want to try these in a 9" will do the trick. Even though you may feel like you're screaming at the top of your voice, "Look at me, I'm a bloke who loves wearing high heels!! Yes, over here, step right up to the freak show", you're not. You're just another customer. The assistant may be initially surprised, but I can pretty much guarantee you every shop in Oxford Street and Camden Town will have had a guy trying high heels on in the last week.

Faith have no problem, in fact I even e-mailed them a while back for their policy and they answered basically saying "no problem". Dune are great too. I just love their shoes!!! Faith in Oxford Street near the Circus have some really nice girls working there and on more than one occasion have offered me alternatives and seemed genuinely interested in getting me the shoes or boots which I'll enjoy owning and wearing. I wonder what their commission rate is?!!!

Go out, try them on, and enjoy ;)

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

:smile:Hi all, I 100% agree with these sentiments and observations. Do it. I found Barratts(good heels) to be good too. Whenever I go in an assisitant always comes to me when I'm looking at heels and asks if she can help, and in no "funny" way, quite genuinely. Some times I say yes just for the fun of it. New Look are always having new styles,(and good heels) and you can try on there without any assistant, you are on your own there, just the other shoppers. Most of these shops only go to 4 inch. I think that is the optimum for most people in everyday use. It is me. I can wear them as comfortable as my slippers, in fact thats how I think of them these days. (& nights) Do it. Do it. Do it. Enjoy. ;) Muddypaws

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes! By all means, try them on in the store and have fun doing it. Don't be intimidated, be honest and be nice to the clerks, and they will be nice to you. I'm going shopping Friday in three different stores. I will try them on in all three stores. In two of the stores, I'm going to wear them out of the store, if they do have what I like. Best of luck to you and have fun!:roll:

I wear what I want, when I want. My favorites are open-back high-heel clogs. I seem to be able to gage the right size without trying them on. Got a dandy pair on EBAY, but at 4.5", I am still getting used to them. My Kohl's 4" are very comfortable.:roll:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm european, and I have a size 43EUR. It's like a US size 12 female. Here in Italy, in stores there are no women's shoes over 40 . Sometimes 41. So I can't buy or try them in stores. In U.S., up to what size female shoes can be found in stores ? ok, let's suppose... up to 12. Is it because girls have normally sizes up to 12, or other ? thank you

Wolf -

In the US some women's shoe stores only carry shoes to size 10 but a lot of them are starting to stock size 11. There are a few large discount retailers (Payless, WalMart, ...) that stock size 12 and a few 13s.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

In Northern Europe the situation is a bit better. In Amsterdam there are stores that have now several shoes up to 43 and even 44 (for instance Cinderella). Last year I was in Berlin and there were several shops with quite a selection in 43 and even a few in 44. In Madrid the situation is different. There they go standard to 41, but the people in the shoe department of the Corte Ingles (by far the biggest department store in Spain) were saying that they were going to get more shoes up to 42. The Pikolinos brand goes in many shoes up to 42 and as they are rather wide, you don't have to go to one size bigger. Also in Berlin the shoes are rather wide. Not so in Holland. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

what about DSW? do they carry lots of selections in large sizes?

I was in a DSW last week and they had a (very) few pair of 11s. Your best bet at DSW is o head straight to the clearance rack. Stores like Marshall's, TJMaxx and Value City all seem to be carrieng less larger sizes. Interestingly enough, the clerk at Macy's who was helping me said they are getting more 11's all the time.

An 11 isn't much more than a 10 I know, but it is a start.

Style is built from the ground up!

Wolf -

In the US some women's shoe stores only carry shoes to size 10 but a lot of them are starting to stock size 11. There are a few large discount retailers (Payless, WalMart, ...) that stock size 12 and a few 13s.

I have also had very good luck at Target. They carry some beautiful high heels in sizes 12 and 13 in a decent variety.

Do you think this is because women today have larger feet or that demand is higher because men are buying? Discount stores, since they tend to be self serve, may attract more men buying women's shoes. Especially since you can check out with a wider variety of stuff (including groceries) it would be logical to assume anonymity would be better served. Also, I have noticed sizes getting larger. I tend to wear a size 11 in Nine West. I bought an older pair from ebay in an 11 and they are a wee bit tight. A new 9 West fits perfect in an 11. On my last shopping spree, I bought two pair of Rampage pumps (that I tried on in the store) and the 11 was a bit loose. I should have tried the 10 in retrospect. When I started buying heels, I wore a 12 exclusively and was pretty much limited to Payless, but now there are so many more options. (NOTE: All sizes U.S.)

It's true.

Until 4 years ago, I have only bought size 44.

Now, I'm buying size 43 or 42

I jut bought my first pair of shoes in a size 10! They were a pair of white pumps by Rampage. However, I did try on 11's in carlos santana, CDBG, and Jessica Simpson, and they were all too tight.

I went dressed (pix attached) to the outlet / mall tonight. The mall was quite busy tonight, too. I was wearing Colin Stuart black almond toe knee high stretc boots under my jeans. My first stop was the Nine West outlet where I tried on a number of pairs of shoes. Now, the store was crowded with customers, (women, couples, women and children), and I was wearing the boots. So, to try the shoes on, I had to take the boots off. I was already wearing pantyhose so I didn't need peds or anything else. Eventually I bought the silver sandals below. One of the sales girls asked me if I needed help, I said no, she saw the boots and not another word after that! Actually, the sales help was fine and I'm sure that at least half or more saw me walk in with the stiletto heels and try on the stiletto sandals, pumps, etc.

Then I went to Burlington Coat Factory. By the by, their shoes are quite reasonable and fashionable and there is some selection in US 11. Anyhow, same scene in Burlington; off with the boots, on with the various shoes, etc. The shoe area was busy but not as busy as Nine West. I bought a pair of Wild Rose black and silver sandals.

There is a pic with the pant legs up - just to show what the boot looks like.

Point of it all - I would love to do this everyday!!!!

post-9697-133522858441_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858452_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858454_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858465_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522858472_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

Bootking: What else can I say about your outing but----WOW!! Sounds like you had a real fun time shopping, however, I can't help feeling rather envious, no, I take that back, jealous as hell that can go anywhere and try on anything while guys like me with battleships for feet (the smallest size I can manage is 13) have to settle for buying shoes via mail order or over the Internet.

Enough about me. While I've never been a fan of sandals, the shoes you sported with the skirt looked absolutely fabulous (as do your legs, whoo-hoo!), ditto for the silver sandals. I'm sure it must've felt pretty darn good to you to have been treated like any other customer, and no doubt your confidence level was high in that you easily handled being surrounded by other shoppers.

All things considered, big time props to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bootking... Congratualtions on your recent outing. I love those boots and I think it's great no one really paid much attention to you in them. It is always fun to go shoe shopping for high heels. But you going during a very busy shopping time is truly inspirational. As always, I enjoy your stories and thank you for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. Actually, I went back to the same mall the very next night wearing similar jeans and size 12 4" blade type black ankle boots with a square toe, certainly more "mannish." I first went to the same outlet mall in Florida to Super Target, found nothing of interest and then went to Burlington Coat Factory where I bought a fantastic pair of jeans (will post a pic after I have them shortened).

To be very truthful, there were people that certainly noticed although the blade heel boots have been re-heeled and don't CLICK CLICK CLICK as they Colin Stuarts do. You do feel "different" or "out of the ordinary" and certainly you can feel some of the vibes. But as I posted earlier, I would be in heels all of the time if I had my druthers.

Jeff, I had mentioned that I had been planning on driving to Florida and that I did do; but the difference is that my wife drove down with me and that precluded a lot of heeling adventures up and down the eastern seaboard. I had brought the "Gallivant" boots with me and if I had been driving alone, would have worn them OVER THE JEANS AND INTO RESTAURANTS, ETC.

But, I only had some free time in FL and here we are!

As an aside, in the airport today in Charlotte, NC, there was a woman wearing Nine West Gallivant brown snakeskin stretch knee high boots over white pants - the same ones I bought for my wife! The wife appreciated this little vinette!

It's all about the heel!

Bootking: Once again, you've impressed me with your outings. You certainly do exhibit a tremendous sense of style in your outfits, and you darn sure know your boots. Your nickname is definitely well deserved in my mind. A question: How long have you had those blade heel boots? I haven't seen anything like that in stores or online in what seems like years now. I could be wrong, but I don't think blades are in vogue anymore. Is that really the case? If so, then that's a shame because I found blades to be super sharp and stylish. Sounds like the Florida trip was good fun for you and the wife, and yeah, I know what you mean about wanting to wear heels all the time, that's a desire we all share.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jeff, the blades are still around but you have to look for them. I've had that pair for about two years or so. I'll post pics later during the week. Blades are usually in the more "mannish" styles. Try Shoe Metro or Gotham City Online, both on eBay or 6PM.com

It's all about the heel!