Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

always..... when I buy a pair of new heels I first try them in the store.

as for me heels are part of my style, up to now I never got a bad reaction in stores. Mostly I enter the store with some funky shoes on and the rest of my styling/outfit will always match. so this is me & my style - and as this kind of style is part of the shops product range - so why should I hestitate?

I prefer to buy quality. If you spend 100-300 $ on a pair of boots you have to ensure the right fit.

when I bought this week a pair of jeans at the miss sixty outlet store, the sales girl came up with a nice pair of boots I should try, that would perfectly match with this jeans (pic of me will come soon - found the online here: http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5047888&variant_id=EC1058021. and imagine what happend? yes, I bought them and they are the perfect fit.

If you want to improve your styling, than I strongly recomend you to go shopping. and shopping is like trying a lot of things until you find a perfect match.

It´s great fun.

when I bought this week a pair of jeans at the miss sixty outlet store, the sales girl came up with a nice pair of boots I should try, that would perfectly match with this jeans (pic of me will come soon - found the online here: http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5047888&variant_id=EC1058021). and imagine what happend? yes, I bought them and they are the perfect fit.

This link is no longer valid. :smile:

A good reason for saving the picture and uploading it here on HHplace.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

yes, I bought them and they are the perfect fit.

Boots4Ever, I hope you don't mind. Those Miss Sixty Boots are so nice, I wanted share the picture, before they are sold out.

Great Boots, Enjoy them!

post-1115-133522866065_thumb.jpg

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

While I do not rank among the several here that are willing to try on heels in any store, I have been getting more brave as of late. Friday, I visited a local Mashall's store (discount chain) and found a nice pair of black/black patent pumps in an 11. I did slip them on in the store, but I admit I did not walk around in them. Too small in any event. I also went to a Kohl's department store and tried on three other pairs. One was a loafer style with a heel of about 21/2" that was inconspicuous enough that I did walk a bit to find a mirror to check them out. Heel was not quite high enough so I didn;t buy, though I think if I had I likely would have worn them out of teh store. Finally, I went to anoterh store with a self service shoe department and tried on a couple more pairs. Granted, I typically look for an area where no one else is shopping, but at least I no longer worry about store employees, etc, watching on the monitors. I should add that I also did visit a store in Chicago called Skyscraper Heels and tried on three or four pairs, but that is a place that actually caters to crossdressers, drag queens, and strippers, so they are quite used to that and it is no challenge. Theonly challenge there is trying to find a heel that I can walk in, as there is nothing less than about 4 1/2 inches in the store!

I love trying on heels in the stores, most of the sales associates I have had help have been great! One sales associate at a Steve Madden store says "I think it takes balls for a guy to wear high heels, I think its great." I didn't buy the heels they weren't the color I was looking for but the fit and the experience was great.

I recently had an excellent experience at "The Mission" store, in Lakewood, OH (near Cleveland).

I went in to try on these shoes, in size 12:

Pleaser Scream Heels

This is a fetish kind of shop with all kinds of costumes, fetish items, and just regular clothes, mostly with a Gothic theme.

The girl working there was so nice, she finally found the one pair of size 12 Screams that she had in the back, and I tried them on. My left foot went in the shoe beautifully, but my right foot is a half-size larger, and did not quite fit (of course). I did manage to stand up in these, and WOW, are those high. Of course I had to bend my knees, but I was still impressed I could stand in them. It really stretched my toes, probably more than they should have been stretched but after I took them off and walked around, it seemed like it loosened up my toes a bit. I imagine these kind of shoes are great for training to wear 5-6" heels.

I never felt uncomfortable in the store. To be honest with you, it was like walking into any department store where I belonged. Simply awesome, I recommend this shop to anyone in the area.

I was really upset that I couldn't get them - first, I am short on money, but at least I would be able to know if they fit for when I got paid next. Second, they simply didn't fit. How high of a heel are the Screams anyway? I'd have to go to a size 13, but then I think the left shoe would be too sloppy. They're definitely not for walking, at least for me. Would have been nice to have.

I really want to get a nice, high heel that is higher than 5", but I don't know how high to go. This is obviously too high for me, but just under would be awesome.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that experience.

I went in to try on these shoes, in size 12:

Pleaser Scream Heels

..... How high of a heel are the Screams anyway? ....

Hi Saturn,

I have those Scream pumps in a size 12 for some years already. The heel is 18 cm = 7 inch high. I can't even stand in those instruments of torture, not even with bent knees. Seems like my ankles are not flexible enough.

Keep on trying.

Cheers

M.

I mean, all your weight is on your toes. I think if you had one wrong move, you could seriously injure yourself in these shoes. 7" - I'm glad someone had an answer on this, I think that means I'd be able to get my feet into 6" heels and be okay (maybe still not for walking, but standing at least).

Tried on shoes at Payless last night. No other customers, just my wife and me. Two clerks went on with their business until we were ready to check out.

At the register, the older clerk acted as if everything was normal. The teenage clerk was polite but it was obvious she had never seen a guy try on and buy heels. She didn't quite know what to think.

Bought my first pair of women's flats. I wanted a pair of these when I was 6 but my mom said they were girls shoes. 35 years later, I bought them.

See them in my post over in this thread: http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/5243-perpetual_payless_shoesource_thread.html

The teenage clerk was polite but it was obvious she had never seen a guy try on and buy heels. She didn't quite know what to think.

Outstanding! She won't be so surprised when she sees it again!

Style is built from the ground up!

Yesterday when shopping with my wife, we went in to Evans, we purchased two pairs of shoes for her and a pair of ankle boots in a size 9 with 8cm heel. When the sales girl returned with the 3 pairs she handed my wife the two size 6 shoes and said to me are these for you?, tried on the boots, perfect fit. That now take my coolect of boots to 6 pairs. 1 Brown knee high, 2 Black knee high and 3 ankle boots.

It would be curious to talk to a salesperson and find out what they think about this. I could see how a teenage girl, or maybe a new salesperson, how hasn't seen this before, might have some less than positive thoughts , or less than professional reaction. However, for salespeople who have been around, I'd can't imagine it's that out of the ordinary. If nothing else, with Halloween shopping going on for the next 5 weeks, they'll probably see it more.

Only once did I try on in a shoe store. I was looking for a pair of women's knee high rubberized warmlined flat heel boots that would fit me for winter use. I went into the women's section and picked out a pair of black flat heeled boots with a buckle embossed into the side that looked very masculine and went to the end of the shoe rows next to the back wall, sat on the end of the display and tried them on. I found that they fit really good with my socks on so I took 2 pair to the counter as they were on sale and very reasonable. I wore them everywhere for several winters until I finally wore both pairs out and I have since replaced them with another manly looking pair with a 2" block heel which I use to shovel snow in the winter time. I have worn them as late as last winter to clean the walks. It was a Payless shoe store and I haven't bought any shoes there since. I should get many more seasons out of the pair that I now have as they have only been worn a handfull of times to the present. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Geeze Dawn, I wore my boots once to clean our walks of snow one winter. I think that was in February 2000. Funny, though. Had I waited an hour or so, the 4" of snow we had, was "gone." Completely melted. :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Recently I was shopping at Payless.

I found the pair that I liked- they are called Nicole

with 2.75" heel. I chickened out to try them on because

of too many customers present at the time.

As I was paying for them the girl at the register asked me

" Shopping for a girlfriend or a wife?"

I said " Actually for myself."

She looked at me, smiled kindly and said: " OK, here is the

receipt and if you have any problems with the size or the fit

of the shoe we can exchange it for a different size or style."

Overall positive experience.

Great to just say it when asked, isn't it?

Style is built from the ground up!

Recently I was shopping at Payless.

I found the pair that I liked- they are called Nicole

with 2.75" heel. I chickened out to try them on because

of too many customers present at the time.

As I was paying for them the girl at the register asked me

" Shopping for a girlfriend or a wife?"

I said " Actually for myself."

She looked at me, smiled kindly and said: " OK, here is the

receipt and if you have any problems with the size or the fit

of the shoe we can exchange it for a different size or style."

Overall positive experience.

Great answer, Great reply. Feels good to just admit it huh?

real men wear heels

• 4 weeks later...

I have not bought any shoes in a while, but that does not stop me from going into the store to try them on. That is still an amazing thrill. Especially since my wife is so uncomfortable with the whole thing. Shopping for heels and trying them on is the closest I get to street heeling, so I try to do it at least 2 times a week, if not more. Also on a side note, have you ever noticed that the larger "women's" shoes are located next to the mens shoe aisle? (Usually Payless Shoes and usually the same aisle, just opposite side) If you are too nervous and someone enters the aisle, all you have to do is turn around and look at the men's shoes. no one will be any the wiser of your intentions.:winkiss:

Went out looking at Payless today. Tried to get to the store before 11:00 AM, as it usually isn't as crowded. Wore nylons with my street shoes so I could try on if the opportunity arose. The clerk greeted me on entering, and siad to let her know if I needed any help. The size 12 rack was fairly empty, but I can also wear their 11W, so I looked there. I found a couple pair that I liked and, as there was no one in the aisle, I tried them on. Just as I was slipping into the second pair. I caught the clerk out of the corner of my eye. She saw me but didn;t say a word. One pair caught my eye, but there were none in an 11W. I decided to ask the clerk if there were more. She said that she hadn't yet got to restocking the 11-12 aisle, and that they're were likely some in the back. Off she went. A minute later, she had the box in hand, took out the stuffing and plastic stay from the shoe, and handed it to me to try on. I did say that I need to try them to make sure the fit was OK. By her reaction (or lack thereof), I assumed that I was not the first guy she had dealt with! After trying them on, I decided to buy them and took them up to the register. She saw me from the back and came up asking if the fit was OK. I said it was and would take them. She said that I should stop back later or tomorrow after she had a chance to get more shoes out. I said thanks, paid, and was on my way. I wanted to ask her if men buying was a common occurance, but another customer came up just then, and I didn't have the chance. You can bet I'll be shopping there again!

Went out looking at Payless today. Tried to get to the store before 11:00 AM, as it usually isn't as crowded. Wore nylons with my street shoes so I could try on if the opportunity arose. The clerk greeted me on entering, and siad to let her know if I needed any help.

The size 12 rack was fairly empty, but I can also wear their 11W, so I looked there. I found a couple pair that I liked and, as there was no one in the aisle, I tried them on. Just as I was slipping into the second pair. I caught the clerk out of the corner of my eye. She saw me but didn;t say a word.

One pair caught my eye, but there were none in an 11W. I decided to ask the clerk if there were more. She said that she hadn't yet got to restocking the 11-12 aisle, and that they're were likely some in the back. Off she went. A minute later, she had the box in hand, took out the stuffing and plastic stay from the shoe, and handed it to me to try on. I did say that I need to try them to make sure the fit was OK. By her reaction (or lack thereof), I assumed that I was not the first guy she had dealt with! After trying them on, I decided to buy them and took them up to the register. She saw me from the back and came up asking if the fit was OK. I said it was and would take them. She said that I should stop back later or tomorrow after she had a chance to get more shoes out. I said thanks, paid, and was on my way. I wanted to ask her if men buying was a common occurance, but another customer came up just then, and I didn't have the chance. You can bet I'll be shopping there again!

Ron,

That was a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

Henri

If you haven't learned something new today; you have wasted the day.