World Heel Meet 2007, London: Sat. March 10th

kneehighs

I'm well aware that many of you will be coming to Londo a day or two before the heelmeet but for the benefit of those arriving on the day here are a few directions that might help:

Heathrow, Terminals 1,2,3:

Walk to the London Underground Station, following the signs.

Get on the next train Eastbound which will be the Piccadilly Line.

At Green Park Station change for the Jubilee Line towards Stratford and get off at London Bridge Station.

Gatwick:

You can get a train direct from Gatwick to London Bridge. This is the Bedford train operated by First Capital Connect. I believe that the fare will be £8.00 for a single though a return ticket will work out cheaper in the long run.

Stansted:

There is a train to Liverpool Street Station at a cost of £13 (£24 return). Terravision runs a coach service at a cost of £8 (£14). You can get a National Express coach to Stratford at the same price, from there you can get the Jubilee Line tube to London Bridge (don't forget to get a travelcard).

Waterloo (Eurostar):

All you need to do is to jump on the Jubilee Line towards Stratford and it'll take you 3 minutes. If you plan to go shopping etc. I recommend either a one day travel card or an oyster card for this journey (see below).

By Foot: (Half an hour or so) Go out through the old station into Waterloo Road and turn right (you should see a restaurant on the other side called Thai Silk). Head down the road until you get to the Old Vic Theatre and then turn left into The Cut (if you turn right here you'll end up outside of Honour at 86 Lower Marsh so don't get too distracted). Pass the New Vic and then cross Blackfriars Road into Union Street. Continue down there and you will cross Southwark Bridge Road and pass RK Burt & Son on the right and soon you will get to Borough High Street. Cross the road into Newcomen Street and if you're there before 12.00 turn left into Great Maze Pond and you will see Starbucks opposite the far end of it, if you arrive after 12.00 then continue on past and the Miller comes up on the right.

By road (From the north):

I would come down the A10 through Stoke Newington, Dalston and into Shoreditch. Continue down Shoreditch High Street and into Bishopsgate. Follow the signs to London Bridge, cross it and turn left into St. Thomas Street and pass Guy's Hospital on right. Take the next turning and follow the signs to the Kipling Street carpark which is right next to the Miller. It will cost £15 to park for the day and there is no Congestion charge on saturdays.

(From The South) Come up the A23 through Streatham and Brixton and follow signs to Elephant and Castle. From there follow signs to London Bridge. Turn right into St. Thomas Street and follow the directions as above.

(From the West): In on the M4, A4 or M3 continue through to Hammersmith and continue up the A4 to Earl's Court and turn right heading for Chelsea. Follow the embankment down to Parliament Square past the Houses of Parliament and cross the river at Westminster Bridge. Turn left before you go under the railway bridge and continue along York Road. In front of you you will see a roundabout with a round glass building in the middle of it, this is the famous IMAX cinema. Go straight across (second exit) into Stamford Street. Continue along the A3200 and you should soon see signs for London Bridge Station and as you go around the corner onto Borough High Street bear right into St. Thomas Street and follow the directions as above.

(From the East): come in on the A2 up the Old Kent Road to Elephant and Castle and then follow the directions as From The South.

Getting Around:

By far the best way to get around for shopping or sightseeing is by public transport. London Bridge Station is well served by bus, tube and train and by efficient route planning it is possible to get anywhere in Greater London with this multi-modal system.

If you only wish to make a single journey on one mode of transport then you will find it more cost efficient to buy a single fare but if you wish to make multiple journeys or to switch from one mode to another then this is not the cheapest way to travel. Note that in Central London you need to have a valid ticket or travel card before boarding a bus.

Travelcard:

Travelcards can last for a day, a week or a month and give unlimited travel within the appropriate zone for the period of the card and are even valid on night buses. For a weekly or monthly card you will need photo ID and to fill in a form so this will not be suitable for most tourists and most people find it more convenient to purchase a card on the day though they can be pre-purchased several days in advance but you will need to specify the date(s) at the time of purchase. You will probably find that a "zone 1&2" travel card will meet your needs quite adequately.

Oyster Card:

An oyster card is a smartcard that works much like a debit card and is valid on Buses, Tubes and most trains, you buy one and put credit on it in advance. It saves you time as there's no queuing for tickets, it's smarter as it automatically calculates the cheapest fare for all the journeys you take that day (you never pay more than a travelcard), its reusable you just top it up as and when needed, and it never expires so you can continue to use it on future visits. Moreover, Oyster single fares are always cheaper than cash. You can actually register it so that if you lose it your money's protected.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thank you Dr. Shoe for the information.

For a map of the Tube (Underground) one can go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/maps/

I have my travelcards for 6 zones already ordered and received, because I'm staying a week and I plan to go shopping and walking in Greater London.

Robert

Dr. Shoe--;) Thanks for the information. Just 11 more nights before I go! Woohoo.

Foreign Fees and credit/debit cards:

I'll be calling my credit card companies tomorrow to advise them that I will be using my card overseas (UK, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland). For those of you who have multiple credit cards, you might want to call your credit card company to find out about hidden foreign fees.

For instance, there is a 1% foreign fee for using the VISA/MASTER CARD LOGO. You can't do anything to avoid that.

Some companies charge an exchange rate fee to convert your money internationally.

Some companies charge as high as 3% for foreign fees, just for using your card overseas.

Why spend that money on fees if there is a way around it? My solution is to charge or take cash advances with my Pentagon Federal Credit Union Visa. No cash advance fees, no foreign fees beyond the mandatory 1% Visa fee, and no hidden exchange rate fees. I won't touch my brick and mortar bank debit card the entire time.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

By Foot: (Half an hour or so) Go out through the old station into Waterloo Road and turn right (you should see a restaurant on the other side called Thai Silk). Head down the road until you get to the Old Vic Theatre and then turn left into The Cut (if you turn right here you'll end up outside of Honour at 86 Lower Marsh so don't get too distracted). Pass the New Vic and then cross Blackfriars Road into Union Street. Continue down there and you will cross Southwark Bridge Road and pass RK Burt & Son on the right and soon you will get to Borough High Street. Cross the road into Newcomen Street and if you're there before 12.00 turn left into Great Maze Pond and you will see Starbucks opposite the far end of it, if you arrive after 12.00 then continue on past and the Miller comes up on the right.

That's very comprehensive. If you are walking from Waterloo a pleasant alternative is to walk along the south bank of the Thames - if you've got ten minutes extra, and a few minutes for getting distracted. Following Dr. Shoe's directions, when you get to Blackfriars road, follow it up to the river. Then take the steps down to the path that goes along the south bank - under the railway bridge, past the founders arms (lovely pub - although it doesn't look too much from the outside, it's best on a rainy day when it's fairly empty), past the tate modern, the millenium bridge, the globe, through Borugh Market and you'll find yourselves in Borough High street.

That's very comprehensive. If you are walking from Waterloo a pleasant alternative is to walk along the south bank of the Thames - if you've got ten minutes extra, and a few minutes for getting distracted. Following Dr. Shoe's directions, when you get to Blackfriars road, follow it up to the river. Then take the steps down to the path that goes along the south bank - under the railway bridge, past the founders arms (lovely pub - although it doesn't look too much from the outside, it's best on a rainy day when it's fairly empty), past the tate modern, the millenium bridge, the globe, through Borugh Market and you'll find yourselves in Borough High street.

Indeed. Except come out of the station on York Road and cross the footbridge to a big plaza that has the London Eye on it. You can cross this plaza (York Road will be to your back) and you will soon come to the River. As Fog said, this is a very pleasant walk but the reason I didn't suggest it was becaus it is easy to get distracted and go too far down the river.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I will be ariving at terminal 4 at 8:40 pm and hope to catch the next train to Knightsbridge to get to the Winrose on wednesday nite. If anyone knows if they'ers a stop closer to the hotel Please tell me? I will be there untill wednesday the 14th. The anticipation is killing me as I can't wait to get there.

77r90dL lf

I will be ariving at terminal 4 at 8:40 pm and hope to catch the next train to Knightsbridge to get to the Winrose on wednesday nite. If anyone knows if they'ers a stop closer to the hotel Please tell me?

I will be there untill wednesday the 14th. The anticipation is killing me as I can't wait to get there.

The simplest way is to take the Heathrow Express, which goes to Paddington, the Winrose is just a short walk.

If you're getting the picadilly line, stay on until Hyde Park Corner, then take bus route 36 or 436 from stop k - which is just down grovesnor road.

It will drop you more or less outside the door.

There are various options shown on the tfl journey planner.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

If you want to use the tube, you have to deselect rail in the advanced options, otherwise it assumes you want to use the quickest and easiest which is Heathrow Express.

You can go on to Holborn and then change to the Central Line Westbound and then get off at Marble Arch or Lancaster Gate. I wouldn't recommend this if you have a lot of luggage as there are some stairs to negotiate at Holborn.

Hi you all, I am sorry that I haven't been arround here since long.

But I am glad to be able to meet you all in London, specially those who were there last year, and I am sure we will have thoghether the greatest time!

See you there!

heeluis

Great to hear from you heeluis. Looking forward to meeting you again. ;)

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

UPDATE: Started my new job today. As I knew, it involved shift work on a rota but my shifts will fall on certain weekends - unfortunately the weekend of the Heel Meet (Sat and Sun) has fallen victim. Now, I managed to get my shift swapped for this weekend (working Friday night instead of Saturday night) so I may get lucky and be able to swap my shift with someone again for next weekend - this may mean forfeiting the Friday hook up but I can live with that. If I cannot get a swap, I'll be able to come Friday and Saturday but on Saturday I will have to leave you guys around 4pm in order to start work at 6pm. Sorry about this. I'll keep you posted and I will still be coming! ;)

^ Thanks for the update and dedication to make it to the event. Hopefully your efforts set an example for others to follow, for you are committed to following through on your word, which shines a positive light on your character and who you are as a person. This is commendable.

I had a PM from a person who doesn't post very often who seemed to be under the impression that they had to be a regular poster to "qualify" to join us on the International Heelmeet. This, of course, is not the case. It doesn't matter if you post twenty times a day or if you haven't made your first post yet, you are more than welcome!

hallo all I got my ticket ordered to the TG club. And looking forward to get the train to Schiphol, from there the plain to London. The bus to (Pattorn station) and the tube to the Winrose hotel. That will be Friday afternoon. Saterday the big meeting and in the evening Maria goes the the club in het highest heels in the rainsh her Ballet Boots. Is there somebody with a camera to catch that image or clip of her walking. A webcam is so complicated and keep it privetly? see you all on your heels A3

Everything is now packed and I am just one sleep away from heading for London. ;) Although I will have to get up before 4 AM, I will happily do it, after all London is awaiting me and I will see all you guys. Some for the first time and some "old" faces. :smile: So, look out cuz HERE I COME!!!:o:w00t2:

This meet is a go!

10:30-12:00

Starbucks London Bridge

Stop #1

London Bridge Starbucks

We will now be meeting up at the London Bridge Starbucks at 21-27 Saint Thomas Street:

Posted Image

Posted Image

London SE 1 9RY

Nearest Tube: London Bridge or Borough

Time: 10:30-11:45 am

12:00-end of meet (probably 19:00)

The Miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop #2

Stop #2

The Miller by London Bridge

Posted Image

Posted Image

96 Snowsfields Road, London Bridge

London SE 1 3SS

Time: 12:00 till whenever we leave

30 Probable attendees

1. kneehighs--United States--Dolly Apartment, 3/9-3/12

2. Heel-D--England

3. Heel-D's other half--a very supportive girlfriend--Wales

4. Robert--Netherlands--Winrose Hotel, 3/9-3/18

5. fog--formerly fogborkenvv--England

6. Mrs. fog--England

7. euchrid--England

8. Xaphod--England

9. Calv--not via Heathrow Airport this time! England

10. admirer5577--Sweden--Astor Court Hotel, 3/8-3/12

11. Dougal--England

12. chris100575--England

13. crotchhiboots--United States--Winrose Hotel, 3/7-3/14

14. Dr. Shoe--England, will not come as alter ego Tara

15. shakedown--England

16. heeluis--Germany--Dolly Apartment, 3/9-3/12

17. firefox--England

18. Admin/Richie--England, for dinner

19. ramon020--Netherlands--Astor Court Hotel, 3/9-3/12

20. iloveboots--Canada--Astor Court Hotel, 3/8-3/12

21. Angela--Canada--Astor Court Hotel, 3/8-3/12, friend of iloveboots

22. airwolf--United States--Winrose Hotel, Arrive 3/8 22:00, Depart 3/12

23. Krapsparov--England

24. Pam--United States--Sheraton Park Tower, Arrive 3/9, Depart 3/12

25. 5inchlover--England

26. Secreto--England

27. f_private--Belgium--Hilton Tower Bridge, 3/9-3/12

28. Ruth--Dr. Shoe's wife--England

29. Pumps--Sweden--Charlotte Guest House, 3/9-3/11

30. a3--Netherlands--Winrose Hotel

Possible attendees

1. Jan--England

2. Nikk--England

3. balletbooter--United Kingdom

Looking forward to seeing everyone there~!

Special Thanks To All Dedicated Attendees!

For those of you who are true to their word,

who say they will do something and actually follow through and do it,

who have the personal integrity to stick to their word

who have traveled to make it to this meet

who have planned and worked around busy schedules to make it to the meet

THANKS! I know who you are and I respect each and everyone of you who stayed true to your word.

Men and Women of integrity!

This weekend is going to be a blast! "may the games begin!"

I should be there but there is a possible problem looming which could mean that I might not be able to make it. Assuming I do come I will probably come in Tara mode but Ruth won't be coming because she is not well.

Geeze! So sorry everyone that I had to ask Kneehighs to drop me off the list of attendees. My jazz trio is contracted to play at many functions for one particular firm, and they added this Friday/Saturday/Sunday to the list! So frustrating, especially as I attend virtually every Heelmeet, and I'd already accompanied Dr. Shoe to preview this weekend's meeting venues! Anyway, have a great one yuzall, and I'll catch you next time! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Yes, finally... Time has come now to pack my luguages... Leaving home at 5.00 tomorrow morning to catch the Eurostar to London... Hehe here we goooooooooooo. This is my final message before seeing you all tomorrow, saturday and sunday. High Heels Lover Fred

Heelfan, sorry to hear you're not going. Oh, well there's always next time. UPDATE on me: I'm definitely coming to the Saturday meet. As it finishes at 7pm-ish I will be able to pop by during the early afternoon before heading off to work around 4-4:30ish (my shift starts at 6pm in West London). Depending on what time we get into London, my girlfriend may not be able to come along as she's got a theatre ticket booked for 2:30pm in the West End. Apologies for my fickleness - I didn't count working all sorts of odd shifts when I put my name down a few months ago! See you Saturday.

Have a good time everybody, I am sure it will be a blast, an eye opener for some of you and a pleasure for all attending. All in all it will be good for all of you to meet up. there is something great about swapping phone numbers and having a friend to call about heels. dont spend too much on heels whilst shopping! and leave london in one piece please ;) Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Just a heads up.

I promised Jamie, the manager of The Miller, that we would have 30 people minimum. It now appears as if we will have closer to 25.

The total cost for a buffet for 25 people is 137.50 pounds, which should equal just 5.5 pounds per person.

The bottom line? We must collect 137.50 pounds regardless of how many people show up.

See you all there!

Heel-D Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you Saturday.

Actually it's £165 we'll need which comes to £6.60 per head with 25 people. Just thought I'd clarify but we can always check when we get there.

Just a quick note to say sorry, but I can't make it. I have a date on Saturday, and as she's not available for the three weekends following this one I don't want to re-schedule. Wish I could be there, but prospective new girlfriend takes priority I'm afraid. Chris

Especially if she's cool with your heels. Good luck tomorrow night mate! ;) Sad not to meet you tomorrow but I'm sure you'll come to a future meet.