Cali World

Cali

4 hours ago, Cali said:

I'll will probably do a DIY on them, but I am extremely busy right now. I have the tools, wood, and other supplies, the only thing I lack is time. 

Looking again at your particular heels, you might find it helpful to push a plastic wall plug or length of dowel into each peg hole, and nail thru new top piece into each one, as that will give a good 'spread' of fixings.   Ideally fill the void with scrap wood, flush to surface, and glue on top piece before nailing - which will improve stability (and deaden sound).   Let us know how you get on.

I have the same problem with two pairs.  A pair of boots that I’ve hadrs and a pair of penny loafers that I wear a great deal. I took them to my local cobbler only to find that he had gone out of business. The nearest shoe repair shop was a 50 mile drive from where I live.  So I googled Amazon and found a heel repair kit that included heel pads that could replace those that were damaged.  I cleaned all the plastic edges of the heels with sandpaper and placed the new pads over the heels and trace the heel outline on the pads.  Then I cut the pad to conform with the shape of the heel.  The replacement pads are self attaching with adhesive on the bottom.  As an extra step I put some gorilla glue on the plastic edges and then place the pad over the heel.  I have worn both pair several times over the past three weeks. So far so good. Their repair job seems to be working.  But who knows how long this fix will last.  

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136: You don't say what size and type of heel required a new pad (top piece), but I'm guessing it was a hollow one similar to that shown by Cali.   If so, I am sceptical that the thin edges of the moulding will give enough contact surface for the glued pad to remain firmly attached for very long - but time will tell.   That is one reason why I advocate filling the void with wood and ideally nailing too.

You are right, Puffer, they are the same type of hollow plastic heels that Cali is dealing with.  And, like you, I am also skeptical as to how long the fix will last.  My hope is that it will last until I have a good reason to make the long drive into the city and have them properly repaired.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

This must be the "Year of the Broke Heel"

We had a Holiday Party at work today. When I entered the room a short upper managment woman came over and asked why I wasn't wearing red heels. (A little background, we both like high stilettos heels and we frequently compare heels when we see each other.) I told her "I only have suede red stilettos and it was suppose to rain this afternoon", and it did, "so I worn my JS black faux suede knee highs this morning." (I guess I have to wear the red stilettos to the retirement party next week.) She showed me her red sparkley stiletto booties. ....and then ....

she told me a story about a heel that fall off a pair of booties just like what happened to my booties.

so it's the 

"Year of the Broke Heel"

Edited by Cali

It's almost a "club" of high heel wearers. ALways checking out each others shoes when we see each other. Even the President told me she liked my boots when we meet at the elevator.  After almost 10 years of wearing heels to work, I am a known person throught the place.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did talk to my cobbler about how he reheels these hollow molded plastic heels, and his solution is less elegant, but similar in concept to @Puffer's method. I assume it is also somewhat less time consuming for a busy shop. He says he takes a small bundle of wooden dowels, beats them in the hollow space in the heel, glues them in, cuts and sands them off, and then nails the new rubber heel cap to that.

What I did not expect is that this simple question would lead to a several minute tirade on his part about how pretty much all modern shoes are junk. It might have been more than several minutes had I not been in rather a hurry--I actually sneaked out of work for a few minutes to go pick up my shoes, hoping that nobody would notice I was gone. They didn't.

Edited by mlroseplant

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by my local boutique shoe store. Wet day, no customers, so, I was able to have a long talk with the manager. She knows what I like and will order shoes that are in my size. I told her what happened to the heel on my Soda booties and she will bring it up with the rep. Also, she remember that I had purchased several colors of a heel called Agenda and I was lucky since the company only makes that style in black now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had all campus meeting today. Wore my black (below) knee high boots with a thin 3.6 inch heels. This is also the unoffical meeting of the high heel club. 5 women stop by my table to compare heels with me, 3 stiletto booties and 2 knee high boots. I was also stop by half a dozen other women so they could tell me how much they loved my boots. About 20% in low heels and a few kitten heels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cali said:

We had all campus meeting today. Wore my black (below) knee high boots with a thin 3.6 inch heels. This is also the unoffical meeting of the high heel club. 5 women stop by my table to compare heels with me, 3 stiletto booties and 2 knee high boots. I was also stop by half a dozen other women so they could tell me how much they loved my boots. About 20% in low heels and a few kitten heels.

This sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been seeing a lot of boots with 3 inch heels lately. 

I am now in a position that I have meetings with upper management several times a week. I see a lot more higher heels now.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

Boots with 3” heels seem to be firmly in fashion - certainly on my side of The Pond. It’s a style I really like, probably my favourite style 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 4:46 AM, Cali said:

Cool affirmation!  Feels great when it happens.

• Like 2

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I don't know why keep doing this. I had a 4 hour break to fill on Thursday so I went shoe shopping. Looked at a large Macy's. The section of non sneakers (trainer) is so small now. Short heels or ugly shaped heels.

Looked at several other shoe brand store ... NOTHING.

Then went to DSW. Again the sneakers must be breeding at night and spreading through the store. Nothing of interest

BRING BACK DECENT HEELS NOW!!!!!!

One of my earliest clients, a talented auto mechanic, passed away unexpectedly last week.  At the funeral last Wednesday there were only two or three women other than those in the family who were dressed up for the occasion.  Other than two female family members, none of the other women were wearing heels.  Several women were wearing ankle boots with low heels and several others were wearing casual clothing with crocs.  It seems like dressing up for any occasion is out of fashion these days.  It’s very disappointing to those of us that appreciate viewing well dressed beautiful women.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cali said:

I don't know why keep doing this. I had a 4 hour break to fill on Thursday so I went shoe shopping. Looked at a large Macy's. The section of non sneakers (trainer) is so small now. Short heels or ugly shaped heels.

Looked at several other shoe brand store ... NOTHING.

Then went to DSW. Again the sneakers must be breeding at night and spreading through the store. Nothing of interest

BRING BACK DECENT HEELS NOW!!!!!!

I'm afraid it's no better on the other side of the world. The styles available in the stores are absolutely awful. Like you said, short heels and/or weirdly shaped huge heels. They're everywhere! The only good thing I have to report is that they are indeed everywhere. Heels, though hideous, are still alive and well in northern Vietnam.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’m seeing more in the north of England than I did in London

Twas ever thus, especially in the north east (and Scotland).

On 2/17/2024 at 5:01 AM, kneehighs said:

I've been in Istanbul for awhile now.  I've seen 2 girls decent beautiful heels here. That's it. :(

And not Constantinople. . .

Sorry, I love that song! 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shyheels said:

And I am in the northeast, in Yorkshire 

If you need a song for that part of the world it could be "The Lass of Richmond Hill" or "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at"

• 2 weeks later...

New comment today from a younger woman:

"you have such a great shoe game, so much better than mine."

Edited by Cali
  • Like 3