Don't ask; don't tell

don't ask don't tell is going under... thank goodness. The senate just repealed it. I hope this goes all the way and don't ask; don't tell dies! I don't want to start political debates but how is this seen in the UK and rest of the world? Has it made the international news? Is it something that anyone outside of the states cares about?

Foxyheels. The U.S. Armed Forces has a "Don't ask don't tell " policy. It concerns the GAY's in the service. The U.S. Congress has voted to let the GAY's in the world serve along side heterosexual soldiers. Previously: if you were found to be homosexual while serving in the ARMY-Air Force-Marines or Navy, you were kicked out on an undesireable discharge. If you managed to put in Ten (10) or Fifteen (15) years, or however long, under this old ruleing you would loose all benefits, including retirement. It did not matter if you had earned metels for bravery or not. Some of these men who were found to be homosexuals had saved some of there comrads lives in previous battles. Mike

Ok my personal opinion. To not allow a homosexual to be part of the armed forces is ridiculous. Good on the politicians that voted for it to be allowed and take you out of the dark ages. If I read the post right this is now to be repealed so you will no longer be allowed to be homosexual. Again not sure on American law but in the uk there are numerous laws around discrimination (criminal offences for homophobia) and diversity that would never let it happen here. What logic is there to say a homosexual cant be an effective soldier, it baffles me.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Ok my personal opinion. To not allow a homosexual to be part of the armed forces is ridiculous. Good on the politicians that voted for it to be allowed and take you out of the dark ages.

If I read the post right this is now to be repealed so you will no longer be allowed to be homosexual. Again not sure on American law but in the uk there are numerous laws around discrimination (criminal offences for homophobia) and diversity that would never let it happen here.

What logic is there to say a homosexual cant be an effective soldier, it baffles me.

No, it means you can be openly gay in the US forces.

see http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2010/dec/19/us-politics-us-military-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal for example

I completely agree that it is the right thing and despite my own pessimistic view on the matter, the end of this article suggests that it has not caused adverse problems in other forces around the world http://www.fyne.co.uk/index.php?item=946

Seemingly a military ban on homosexuality in UK forces was removed in 2000.

R

Regarding your question if it made the international news. Yes. I knew what you meant by it. Actualy, I'm familiar with it since it was introduced in the US. That was also international news. I'm not gay, nor do i hav any interest, so i'm not following any partculair news channels. What i think about it? Well....sorry to say it (as i love the USA a great, great deal), but i'm not suprised the whole thing is an isseu overthere. Though we do get homophobics overhere, i think you guys got plenty more (in precentages). But then, pedophobia is a much bigger isseu here. And that is also related to high heels. Do i care about it? Other then i feel sorry for the gaycrowd.... no... Personally i think the US has much bigger isseus with the wars they get into then making a problem over this. I would not care if someone was gay, had one leg with a thighboot on, 3 fingers and one eye. If he was good at the job, do it! Why not?

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

No, it means you can be openly gay in the US forces.

see http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2010/dec/19/us-politics-us-military-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal for example

I completely agree that it is the right thing and despite my own pessimistic view on the matter, the end of this article suggests that it has not caused adverse problems in other forces around the world http://www.fyne.co.uk/index.php?item=946

Seemingly a military ban on homosexuality in UK forces was removed in 2000.

R

Thank you for the clarification, so this is an excellent decision. Hopefully numerous members of the american forces will come out now encouraging more to join and show all the bigots that being gay is totally acceptable in today's society. Another move by a society to accepting something that has been ridiculed by many in previous years.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Actually they can make great soldiers. In ancient Greece the holy band of Thebe, which was for some period the best military unit of its time consisted purely of gays. Apparently people don't run away from the battle very easily if their partner is there to see it. Here in the Netherlands we had the first try and the second try of the Obama governemnet to get this through the senate in the news, together with explanations. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

When I was in the RAF it was amazing how many airmen werew beating their gums about allowing gays in the forces. "What if you're on your own on a night shift with a gay bloke!!???" etc. My counter to that was: "what if you were female on a night shift with a straight bloke?" In the last 15 years since servicemen were allowed to be openly gay attitudes have changed completely and someone coming out as gay to their colleagues is a spectacular non-event. Now the attitude seems to be: "you're gay, so what?"

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Here is what don't ask don't tell is about. From someone who was a mid level supervisor in the Air Force. Don't ask don't tell does not keep gay's out of the us armed force's. What it does is keeps them from being open about it. By this I mean you can be gay but you can not be practicing it if that makes sense. So take me as a mid level supervisor. If a young airman came up to me and said he was gay under the old standard he would be gone. Under the new DADT he could be as gay as he want's as long as he or she is not cought in the act. meaning practicing in a gay act if you know what I mean. DADT was a good policy for awhile but with the way thing's are today it is old and out dated. I know of alot of people that used or said they where gay under the old policy to get out of the military. With DADT it made it alot harder to just say or gay and get out of the military. I am glad that they are finally getting rid of the policy. Cause what was determined as gay was up to the supervisor and commander. So take someone like us if we where in the military and cought wearing heel's and are commander seen us he could say we where gay even thought we may not be and with out question we are gone and there goes are military carrer out the window. So that is what DADT was truly like from someone who was on the inside.

Just because Congress has done away with DADT doesn't mean there will be no "restrictions" on openly gay behavior. While I'm sure that the very admission of a military person revealing his/her homosexuality will no longer be grounds for being automatically dismissed from active duty, there will still be certain actions that are not in accordance with current UCMJ, will be cause for dismissal. The same is true for straight individuals when break acceptable rules of sexual behavior.

Just because Congress has done away with DADT doesn't mean there will be no "restrictions" on openly gay behavior. While I'm sure that the very admission of a military person revealing his/her homosexuality will no longer be grounds for being automatically dismissed from active duty, there will still be certain actions that are not in accordance with current UCMJ, will be cause for dismissal. The same is true for straight individuals when break acceptable rules of sexual behavior.

The repeal has not changed ANY service personnel's feeling about homosexuals. Changing the law is not going to make the hatred go away, just drive it a little further underground. When, on occasion, it surfaces, and it will, it'll hit the fan and all concerned will get really dirty. Although not gay, I'm really glad DADT is gone. From a benefits standpoint, its only fair and a great thing for those affected. I just hope those who suddenly feel "released" will carefully consider their immediate environment and those in it before jumping out of that closet.

• 4 months later...

DADT is a double edged sword. Repeal of the law means going back to what the policy was previously. Not exactly a step in the right direction if your gay. Because the previous policy banned gays completely. Because now it becomes do ask, do tell. Don't ask, don't tell was not perfect, but it was a great improvment. Now it's back to the dark ages. I find it very disturbing that people think it's repeal is a good thing for gays. Does anyone here remember the american military before DADT? How soon we forget.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 1 month later...

DADT is a double edged sword. Repeal of the law means going back to what the policy was previously. Not exactly a step in the right direction if your gay. Because the previous policy banned gays completely. Because now it becomes do ask, do tell. Don't ask, don't tell was not perfect, but it was a great improvment. Now it's back to the dark ages.

I find it very disturbing that people think it's repeal is a good thing for gays. Does anyone here remember the american military before DADT? How soon we forget.

No, I was confused about this as well, but the repeal of the DADT does not bring us back to what we had before. See this quote taken from here: "A July 6, 2011 ruling from a federal appeals court barred further enforcement of the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members."

I think the DADT was a reasonable interim compromise from what the US had previously which was of course really bad, but with banning DADT and subsequent court rulings, the US can no longer prevent gay people from serving in the military.