amish girls

hailey

my girl friend and i recently returned from a short vacation. two of the days were spent within close driving distance of an Amish community, so we decided to tour the area. our first stop was a small grocery store and diner where we decided to have lunch. i have to tell you that my girl friend dressed a little skimpy because of the hot weather. that day she wore cut off blue jean shorts, a white tank top, and brown wood sandals with about a 5 inch heel. everyone in the store was looking in her direction while we shopped because her shoes echoed on the old wood floor. i told her later that night that she was attracting attention and getting stern looks from some of the older women in the store. i also told her that was fine because i love the way she looks when we go out and who cares what other people think. the next day we did a lot of running around, seeing the sights, looking at antiques. the weather was cloudy with a few showers, so we both wore jeans, tee shirts and flip flops. even her flip flops have about a four inch heel. we were headed back in the afternoon when she asked if we could stop at the same little grocery store and buy some stuff she uses for baking. she happens to be an awesome cook. i found a place to park at the end of the building, got out of the car and walked around to open the door for her, something that she likes me to do. i knew right away that something was up when she held onto my arm while we walked. i looked at her, smiled, and asked "what shoes are you wearing?" then i looked down, looked back at her and said "you are so bad". there is something special about a woman who wears black pumps with 6 inch spike heels just to tease me and mess with the older women in the grocery store at the same time. after about fifteen of shopping we took our purchases to the register to check out. i tried to make small talk with the people around the check out but we were definitely getting the cold shoulder. we both were very polite and smiled as we payed and walked out of the store. it took us a little while to walk the short distance to the car because of her short steps with these shoes. just before we reached the car, we heard someone say "wait, you forgot one of your things". we turned to see a girl running towards us with a small bag. she handed me the bag and i looked inside. i was getting ready to tell her she was mistaken, when she asked my girlfriend "where can i get some shoes like you wear, i want my Daniel to look at me the same way he looked at you yesterday" that was all she needed to say to us because Kellie smiled back and said " i'll just give you the ones i wore yesterday, they're in the back seat." you would not believe the smile on this girls face. she thanked us both repeatedly and ran off with her new shoes in the bag. i guess things are changing everywhere, a little at a time.

The end of the story is very sweet. But... Certain communities have existed for a long time and you should respect their customs and traditions. Diversity makes the world an amazingly interesting place. Dressing like a Daisy Duke wannabee and wandering around an Amish community is not really something to admire. I'm not a big fan of organised religion but you would never catch me doing a wee in the font in a village church.

Indeed. Going into someone's community is like being a guest in their home. I have friends who, for religious reasons, frown on my transgendered lifestyle and so I would not dream of going into their home as Tara nor would I wear heels around them. On the other hand, whenever they come to my home I'm always in male mode then too out of respect to my guests unless they turn up unexpected.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I know two Amish familes from my husband's travels in the USA. I have to say that I very much doubt that any young Amish girl would have asked about where she could buy a pair of your partner's shoes. There is no way that she would be able to wear them unless she was prepared to be ostracised by the rest of her community.

I agree with Dr. Shoe and Benno. You are a guest in their Community and should show them due respect.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I agree. Respect your environment. Just as there are some clothing choices that would be disrespectful to a wedding or a funeral, or a business meeting, there are bad choices within the context of certain communities. While I would choose to respect your right to wear whatever you wanted to wear, I would also learn something about you from the choices that you make. What you've just told us is that your friend enjoys any attention she can get, at any cost, with no respect for herself or those around her. Not cool.

Leaving aside the politically correct theme of the responses here, there's always something to be said for a 'Daisy Duke wannabe' in my fetid imagination... Especially one who performs an act of such charity. Besides that, the Amish girl had her own responses and desires, and she made them pretty clear, no? Cultural and conceptual exchange isn't necessarily always a bad thing. I'm pretty sure the broad-minded and well-informed Amish Community will get over a pair of heels. Oh, and welcome, hailey!

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

Now hold on here as much they were in Amish territory, it's still America and they would have to be as torrent as any one else. Now if I was invited into a Amish home that would be different, but since it was a public environment nothing can dictate clothing unless it's offensive. Skimpy clothing and very high heels are not that offensive.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

hailey, If this activity was carried out in an Islamic country, the offender could have been jailed and stoned. However, in the US where cultures of all sorts have immigrated and thrive, we should be respectful of their community. This means we tolerate their views and we put on our best faces for the situation. I'm sure your girlfriend looked stunning in her 6" pumps and got lots more attention than even the day before. It's the attitude that diminishes what happened. It probably gave them a reason to be more offended, instead of an attitude of glad that you came and our lives have been enriched. The actions of the girl wanting to know where she could get a pair of heels, wouldn't really be out of character. Anyone who is deprived of something they deem to be better for them personally will always want the better. Children, denied of watching television at home, will often go to their friend homes to watch the programs they like, with out parental consent or knowledge. So it was with this Amish girl. She wanted the extra attention she perceive your girl friend was getting by wearing heels. She'll probably never wear them for social functions or even out of the house. You can bet those heels will be part of her attire when she's alone with the guy she adores. That is a nice jesture on your girlfriend's part of giving the heels, but I kind of think it was for spite.

I live in Lancaster, PA, one of the biggest Amish areas in the country so I got to know the Amish ways very well. Giving the girl those shoes could have actually been a big mistake because she could have been punished by her parents if she was caught. Not only do they see such things as sinful but taking such things from others is against their beliefs also. Mostly they arn't allowed to mess around with any modern day things unless they have to. Now this all depends on the family to. There are less strict Amish families but not many. Her parents most likely burned the shoes if they did find them. Now if she was 16 and left the community, then it was ok. As for the way you dress around them, yeah dont worry about what they think. They do not own a community where they can make people not come in or leave. Unless its something pretty bad. Doing such things is against their beliefs also.

Geez, lighten up folks, I think all of this reaction is much ado about nothing. Some of you certainly have some valid points in your comments but it feels like so many are pouncing on Hailey for something that is hardly worth it and I am sure they intended no harm.

they were looked upon as typical tourists and promptly forgotten

Completely agree

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what she did. If she did offend someone too bad they just get offended. There is no mention in the story of them tring to offend someone. I dont believe that because you are in their community you should do as they do. All the did was have some fun and didn't hurt anyone. Im really belive that some of the women looking at your girlfriend really wish that they could wear those type of shoes to get their men to pa attention to them. Only 1 girl had the courage to actually say it. So more power to this couple. I wish I could get my girl into a pair of 6 inch heels.

firstly, I very much enjoy Reading threads like this. Thank you for posting it. Secondly, you boys, if you live in a glass house don't throw stones. Furthermore, If I were that Amish girl I certainly wouldn't be silly enough to wear them out in the community. However I'm sure I would have a marvelous time parading those shoes Around in the bedroom. On respecting culture, personally I believe one should "do as the Romans do" and if I ever had the opportunity to visit such a community I would dress fairly conservatively. Oh dear, now I'm rambling.

On respecting culture, personally I believe one should

"do as the Romans do" and if I ever had the opportunity to visit such a community I would dress fairly conservatively.

Totally agree Amanda. I have a massive fondness for the amish community, from what I have seen and read about them. I would love to visit one of their communities. There is something very unique and special about them. A beautifully gentle community.

I am well travelled and always respect the cultures and tradition of the lands I visit. When I visit a muslim country, I always make sure to cover my arms and legs for example, no matter how hot it is. The females who travel with us cover up well and I find that the locals warm to you if you do.

We went to Tehran in 2001 and covered up and the locals really warmed to us and ended up inviting us into their homes and giving us alcohol, which is actually illegal. It was one of the best holidays ever.

Funnily enough, there is an hour long documentary on UK Channel 4 television TONIGHT about this.

It's titled 'Amish - World's Squarest Teenagers' - and it takes the form of 5 US Amish teenagers coming over to London for 2 weeks to experience modern Western European culture.

It will be interesting to see the reactions and hear first hand, their own views on our so-called free society.

It's on at 8.00pm.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

It's titled 'Amish - World's Squarest Teenagers' - and it takes the form of 5 US Amish teenagers coming over to London for 2 weeks to experience modern Western European culture.

When all you have in your toolbox, Pussyinboots, is a hammer... al screw's become nails.

Certainly they may be square as they have grown in a community that has very rigid rules. You need a lot of creativity to jump those fences if you have been raised in such society.

I wonder how much of the culture clash would be manifested by instinct and how much by intellect; and how creativity can handle the whole mind opening process.

When all you have in your toolbox, Pussyinboots, is a hammer... al screw's become nails.

Certainly they may be square as they have grown in a community that has very rigid rules. You need a lot of creativity to jump those fences if you have been raised in such society.

I wonder how much of the culture clash would be manifested by instinct and how much by intellect; and how creativity can handle the whole mind opening process.

Well, I cannot comment as the programme has not been aired yet. It's on at 8.00pm tonight as I said.

So, I also cannot say whether or not it shows a culture clash - or if it shows already bright and intelligent teenagers, coming out of themselves and making the most of a new experience.........

Post your comments, please. Much of the content for Europe isn't available of South America. I have an Argentine Mennonite community that has provided the company I work for of some mechanical products. Not the same but, have a similar way to tackle certain issues. They recently closed some of their external activities and denied de possibility of their members to work -assembling basically- outside their property bounds.

Post your comments, please. Much of the content for Europe isn't available of South America. I have an Argentine Mennonite community that has provided the company I work for of some mechanical products. Not the same but, have a similar way to tackle certain issues.

They recently closed some of their external activities and denied de possibility of their members to work -assembling basically- outside their property bounds.

I have just watched the programme and it was fascinating. I took notes - so I'll post them tomorrow sometime.

I live in an area in Pennsylvania where there is a large Amish population. The Amish live in, for lack of a better term, districts where their standards are set by their bishop. So one Amish community can be more liberal or conservative than an adjoining area. In no case could the girl mentioned in the initial post in this forum openly wear the type of sandals that were described. Also the Amish communities are subject to their own problems and issues just like the rest of us. Some young Amish actually go out on weekendsand change secretly into "English" (that is what they call those of us who aren't Amish) clothes then change back into their regular clothing before returning home. There are also many stories of behavior that would not be accepted by their peers that I can't relate here for obvious resons. They are people with desires, problems, and issues just like the rest of us even relating to shoes!!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I watched the Channel 4 programme last night and it was well worth it.

I'll start this post by saying that the overall impression that I got of the teenagers was that they are very mature for their age, well rounded, intelligent and compassionate individuals.

The Series takes them to different enviroments - this week a black community in East London which was preparing for a Memorial Service to remember a 14 year old lad who had tragically been stabbed to death at the local shops. They visited his Mother and his street-wise friends, and there was not a single word or hint of condemnation from the Amish teens. In fact, they did all they could to help with the preparations.

In the course of the programme, much was talked about regarding their lifestyle in America, their religious and spiritual beliefs, and their attitudes to life in general.

I will simply state facts without offering opinions. You can then make up your own minds.

Some of the things that came out quite plainly were these:

1) They are committed Christians and believe in one God. Within the Amish Community they do not get taught anything about other Faiths. However - this does Not make them narrow-minded Bible thumpers, far from it in fact.

2) Their fundamental beliefs are those of love for their family, their community and their fellow man. They do not believe in violence, confrontation or war. These are regarded as Sins.

3) They believe that cultural differences in this World are good and healthy for the human race. They do not believe that they are a justification for division and confrontation.

4) Amish youngsters are tightly attached to the community until they are 16. At 16 they are given the opportunity to 'spread their wings' and wear modern clothes, own a car, drink alcohol, make friends in the wider community, smoke cigarettes and wear make-up. This is called the ‘Rumspringa’.

After 12 months, they have to make a decision as to whether they are going to be Baptised - and thus spend the rest of their lives in the Amish Community - or - if they are going to leave to live in modern society. If they take the second course - they forfeit their Family and the entire Amish Community and lifestyle - forever.

Interestingly - nearly 80% of Amish teenagers choose to return to the community fold and be Baptised.

(There was however, a lot of debate about the troubles that are occurring within the Amish Community over the differences that their lifestyle is causing amongst some of the younger generation - who are looking for a different way of life, more closely associated with Western society).

5) Young Amish girls NEVER wear make-up, jewellery, modern fashions, and definitely not high heels - nor do they have their hair cut or styled. They believe that they are as God made them - and they stay that way. They do not buy clothes - they make them themselves.

So - to answer the comments about the Original Post. No Amish girl would have asked about those high heels - UNLESS - she was 16 or just over, and in her ‘Rumspringa‘ year.

Throughout the programme, it was quite obvious that these youngsters were intelligent and compassionate human beings. They easily interacted with their teenage peers in the UK - and very obviously, skin colour, fashion tastes and cultural differences were not a barrier. All the kids, English and Amish got on together like a house on fire, and their different upbringings were the source of deep and intelligent debate between them - not anger or discord.

I was utterly hooked from start to finish - and I came away from the programme thinking that actually, not all youngsters these days what to take drugs, get drunk or wage war on the streets with each other. That goes for BOTH sets of teenagers - Amish and European.

It was thoroughly riveting and uplifting viewing - and I can‘t wait for next week‘s programme.

• Like 1

Well, this post of MsPussyinboots has definitely made me want to watch the programme. Excellent reportage! Thank you. S.

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

Thanks Pussyinboots. I really apreciate your report! Without question fear to the different can make us see other as a threat. I thoght they were much more closed minded than the report shows.

I watched the Channel 4 programme last night and it was well worth it. ...

Very good information you have provided Pussyinboots. Makes me wish I could view it here. :wave: It may eventually show on BBC-America or on one of the Discovery network channels (they often rebroadcast BBC shows like this and do many co-productions with BBC).

I have been to an Amish community in central Missouri (in the midwestern USA). I dressed in a skirt and tight fit, cap sleeved T-shirt. I wore sandals with no heel. I wore that simply because it was what I had. There were women(other tourists) there in heels. They got some dissaproving looks from older women, longing looks from younger women, and no looks from the men. If I went into an islamic community I would not wear a burka or hajib. I would dress as I usually would. If I went to Japan I would not worry about blending in. Why should it be a concern with an Amish community? The Amish people probably weren't concerned with just the heels, but the whole ensemble. That's how they role. If she'd been conservatively dressed but in heels they probably wouldn't have cared as much. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed hearing of the experience! :wave:

I was utterly hooked from start to finish - and I came away from the programme thinking that actually, not all youngsters these days what to take drugs, get drunk or wage war on the streets with each other. That goes for BOTH sets of teenagers - Amish and European.

It was thoroughly riveting and uplifting viewing - and I can‘t wait for next week‘s programme.

Ditto for me. I think the males in the Amish group might go off the rails next week, as clips of them drinking and smoking were shown previewing the next episode.

It is refreshingly interesting viewing.