walking in heels

jamie1608

Try walking in your chosen heels with toe down first then heel. If you notice you are walking funny, then you know its the other way round LOL Seriously, its heel first then toe. Happy practicing :winkiss: Only time when you do toe then heel is when you are walking backwards.

Heel, toe, heel, toe and practice, practice, practice. Seriously, practice walking around your house in the high heels you are going to wear in public so that you will be comfortable walking in them in public. Best wishes and good luck.

Depending on the type and height of heels, the angle your foot has to be adjusted so that you don't break a heel or cause them slip out. This will become obvious as you practice walking in them. You should walk on different surfaces while in the practice mode. Even correct walking in heels will be subject to unstable conditions on different surfaces. You may have to take even shorter and more sure steps to prevent falling on some walk areas, such as smoothed, polished or cobblestoned. The type and material of the heel tips will also be a factor as to the length of your stride. As has been said, when you are comfortable with your appearance and your mobility in heels, the more you can enjoy the experience in any situation. Our fears are mostly self-imposed. Most other people are willing to live and let live. Have fun!

If you have a floor length mirror handy, it wouldn't hurt to watch yourself while you practice so you can immediately spot any flaws in your gait. Smaller steps is a must, no long strides, never rush when you walk either, if you can, be sure to keep your toes pointed forward when you walk. And be mindful of what you tred on as there are entirely different dynamics between surfaces such as wood, pavement, tile, etc. I agree that practice is essential before heading out. One last thing, limit your heel height for your initial outing, start with say, two or three inches in the beginning, once you've got a handle on walking, then you can go higher, but stay in moderation. Good luck to you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

jamie1608 -

Heel then toe. But the more subtle technique is to only transfer your weight only after the sole is on the ground and the heel is correctly placed. Histiletto mentioned that a high heel, especially a stiletto, can kick out when you start to transfer your weight onto it so you must be sure it is placed properly. This is what the practice is all about. Soon the transfer of weight will become smooth and natural. If you find that you are getting a lot of heel kick out, check the heel tips and replace them if they are not in good shape. (The metal ones are good for noise, but the rubber ones keep you from falling.)

JeffB’s advice on pointing your toes in the direction you are walking is more important when wearing heels than when wearing flats. Also his advice on watching yourself in a mirror is right on. A video camera is also a great help.

Shorten you stride. I can take a full stride (26”) in a 5” heel but, as members of this board pointed out, it looks awful. Try a stride of 16” - 18” (measured toe to toe, not toe to heel). You will feel like the steps are too small so it will take getting used to.

Before you go out, make sure you are comfortable (mentally and physically) in your heels. Practice until you are confident and this new way of walking comes naturally. When your out, don’t worry about hiding your heels, and don’t look at them, rather, look people in the eye. People will see you heels but if you are showing confidence they will see that also.

The first step is the hardest.

Enjoy your heels

:winkiss:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

What the other guys have said is so true and great advise for you just starting out in heeling. Only you will know if starting out in 5.5" heels was the best choice or not. I would start out with a 3" heel myself for the first time and then work up from there at a much later date with much practice in between. To be comfortable and confident in heeling can't be rushed. After all, you didn't just hop onto a 26" bike and balance it the very first time either. Be careful and remember that practice is what you need to be a successful heeler. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

5.5" to start (no plats)?? Yes, a bit mad. I've been wearing heels since I can almost remember, and have a tough time walking gracefully for long distances in 5.5+" heels. The 5"ers with the 1" plat are much better, if still a bit tough on beginners. While theorectically speaking, it's only a 4" lift, the plat takes away a bit of stability. Excellent advice on shortening your gait, and keep your back straight and strong, toes pointed straight. Always heel-toe with a nice and smooth arc from the heel to the toe as your weight goes over each step. Keep your chin up, posture good, and keep it slow. Good luck.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

5.5" to start (no plats)?? Yes, a bit mad. I've been wearing heels since I can almost remember, and have a tough time walking gracefully for long distances in 5.5+" heels.

The 5"ers with the 1" plat are much better, if still a bit tough on beginners. While theorectically speaking, it's only a 4" lift, the plat takes away a bit of stability.

Excellent advice on shortening your gait, and keep your back straight and strong, toes pointed straight. Always heel-toe with a nice and smooth arc from the heel to the toe as your weight goes over each step. Keep your chin up, posture good, and keep it slow.

Good luck.

Not to get off subject, but haven't heard from you for a while stilettoscott. How you been and how's the job?

real men wear heels

Probably the best and most comprehensive instruction on "how to walk in heels" is on Jenny's pages, sadly consigned to the web history servers now. Follow this advice and you will be on your way. A lot of girls could do with reading this as well.

Simon

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Here you can see how we walked through the mall at the Ohio heel meet last weekend.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x270/JohnsAlbum_1/

Jealous (in a good way) here.

Unfortunatelly we have a too small number of members in Brazil that are too far away from each other that makes it impossible to organize a heelmeet around here. Oh yes, the country is too discriminative too.

Great pictures Johnie, it seems that you all had a lot of fun!

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Johnie... Great photos and congratulations to you and all who attended the heel meet. This is my dream to be able to attend one in the future just to meet everyone face to face and to walk about with a group of men in high heels. Thank you for sharing with us and I am happy for the good turn out.

If you are good, the heel hits the floor a fraction of a second before the sole does.

I have been paying attention to the way I walk in heels and I have noticed that my heel always hits the floor a fraction of a second before my sole does. I guess I am good but I have been told by women I walk in heels better than most women.