Adventures of radiodave

radiodave

I thought I'd start my own thread of outings, however brief they may be. My ex-wife and I discussed at length, and I'm ready to try more of them. We're still best friends, and she's cool with me wearing the shoes in public more, even if she's around. Yesterday, I had to run an errand to the bank, and went by way of the coffee shop on the way back. I wore some beige Dockers, a red polo shirt, and some wedge heeled sandals. Not the tiniest bit of reaction from anyone at the bank, despite the noise. Going by the coffee shop, a couple folks sitting inside must have seen them, but no stares. I had put some clear nail polish on, but it wasn't too noticeable. I had thought really hard about trying my slingback open toe heels for the morning's outings, but thought I'd play it safe. I headed over to visit the ex-wife, since she had a couple things she found I had left there. We chatted for a long while, and I wore the new slingbacks with the same outfit. She thought it looked good, and while it may not have been much of an outing since it was just driving to her house and back, they were quite comfortable. We talked about possibly going to see a play next weekend, and hinted I might wear a pair of heels. Her only comment was to be aware that most of the audience is of the senior citizen variety, so we shall see. Not much heel wearing today, since I was wrestling with my collector car to put a new fuel pump in. Maybe after dinner I'll go get some ice cream. Need to make some short trips with the collector car to make sure I really have the vapor locking problem licked before I go on longer ones. Speaking of the vapor locking little car, an interesting event last week, though not involving shoes. Some folks from work asked me to join them for a drink after work, so after a round of pints one of the ladies handed her friend a bottle of nail polish, either returning it or replacing it, not sure which. Anyway, the friend proceeded to half jokingly offer to paint the guys' nails around the table. Of course, the more "manly" ones flat out refused as though their manliness would be destroyed by a few dabs of red nail polish. Well, I half jokingly stuck my hand out and offered mine up. SHE ACTUALLY DID MINE! :wink1: Well, there were a few guffaws from the other folks around the table, but I just shrugged it off (maybe that pint was starting to have an effect :wink: ). Well, it so happens on this day I had driven my little car to work, and it was hot that evening. Well, this ugly vapor locking problem stalled the car 3 times on the way home. The third time it stalled, I was in my development, and was literally 100 feet from the peak of the hill where I could have coasted the rest of the way to my house. Each time it stalled, I had to wait a few minutes for the engine to cool, then pull the fuel line off the carburetor and suck fuel (kids, don't try this at home :thumbsup: ) through the pump to get the fuel pump going again. While I was trying to get it running yet again (while cursing the fine fuel pump design and wishing it could have made it just another 100 feet), a few of the neighbors there showed up to help out. So there I am with my head buried under the hood of an antique car, with the fuel pump cover off, tools in hand, trying to prime the fuel pump, in full view of several good Samaritans while sporting red nail polish. Heh heh, bet that's something they don't see every day. Nobody stared or said anything, and they graciously offered to push the car up the hill if I couldn't get it running. I didn't want to impose too much of their time or effort, so in one last ditch effort, I got the engine running briefly, thanked the good Samaritans, then gunned it to make it just over the hilltop, at which point it died yet again. Fortunately, it managed to coast all the way back into my garage. When I came into work the next day, one of the guys who was really having an aversion to the nail painting happened to glance and asked how I got the nail polish off, but nobody else (not even the lady doing the painting) mentioned anything else about it. :smile:

post-2079-133522859563_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522859591_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are great stories! Thank you for sharing. Both pair of shoes are fantastic. What brand are they? Also, in your pictures did you pull up the leg of your trousers to show the shoes, or is that where they naturally fell on your ankle? Keep it up...I am looking forward to more adventures.

Style is built from the ground up!

Keep it up...I am looking forward to more adventures.

Me too. :thumbsup:

I've got a thing for smaller bits of detail, so the nail varnish part was interesting too. :wink1:

I don't know how appropriate this comment is, and I certainly don't have a thing for them but; "nice toes". :smile:

Radiodave... Thank you for sharing the story with us. It sounds like you are still ongood terms with your ex-wife and that is a positive. I have a pair of sling backs similar to the one's you have pictured. They are so comfortable and fun to wear in public. And I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle. Nothing worse than a the mercy of a downed automobile.

Those are great stories! Thank you for sharing. Both pair of shoes are fantastic. What brand are they? Also, in your pictures did you pull up the leg of your trousers to show the shoes, or is that where they naturally fell on your ankle?

Keep it up...I am looking forward to more adventures.

The wedge sandals are made by Aerology, and the slingbacks are Vera by Vera Wang. I got both of them at Kohl's. :wink1: I did lift up my pant leg a little to get a picture of them.

More adventures:

Tonight I put on my 4" T-strap wedges from Steve Madden with some thin dark socks (it was a little cooler out) wore them with my tan dress pants, grey sueded shirt, and went over to Radio Shack to get a part to fix my coffee maker. Almost a tragedy at my house this morning when my coffee maker wouldn't heat up, but it turned out to be a bad fuse. Why not replace the $1.69 fuse instead of the $30 coffee maker?

Getting out of the car, a guy was walking by with his son. I glanced over, realizing that these shoes were a bit on the noisy side. He didn't seem overly concerned, and I didn't look to see if he stared after I passed him. There was only the one guy working the counter at Radio Shack, and he seemed bored. Even the brief clop clop didn't faze him. I found my replacement fuse, he rang me up, and I doubt he even noticed. Maybe if I'd worn some 5" stilettos he might have noticed :wink:.

Coming out of Radio Shack, I'm walking along the storefronts to cross over to my car, and a group of Latinos comes out of a store. Hmm... :smile: These guys are wearing ball caps backward, chains, and it's looking like a possible entertaining moment for all parties. Suck it up, smile and nod in greeting, and don't stare. One guy kind of made a U-turn and walked right past me, and the others asked "Adonde vas?" (where are you going?). I figure I remember enough Spanish from high school that I'd be able to figure out if I'm the subject of their conversation, but I didn't hear anything else. The guy making the U-turn walked back toward the trash can at the curb, but he didn't seem to be looking down. The others were looking my way, but nobody started smirking or laughing uncontrollably, and they didn't seem to be staring at the shoes. I had to remind myself that folks will look, they might stare, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure enough, all was fine! :thumbsup: No laughs, no ugly looks, no loud epithets, and the world didn't come to an end!

I went over to another store, and browsing the racks a couple was too interested in whatever they were looking at to even notice. The sales lady might have noticed, but didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. She mentioned the sky was looking like it was going to try raining, and I replied that it's been going between rainy and sunny all day. She wished me a good evening, I did the same to her, and went on my way.

Sorry the pictures are a little dark.

post-2079-133522859697_thumb.jpg

post-2079-1335228597_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522859704_thumb.jpg

Nice adventure radiodave! When I was first reading your post, I was a little concerned about the socks. However, they looked quite nice with the shoes, so I assume that they were not conventional men's socks. Recently, I found knee high tights by HUE in a clearance rack and bought five pair and love them. The shoes were a nice choice for heeling! Also, you must be lucky to be able to find such good shoes; you must have a smaller foot than mine. Keep it up!

Nice adventure radiodave! When I was first reading your post, I was a little concerned about the socks. However, they looked quite nice with the shoes, so I assume that they were not conventional men's socks. Recently, I found knee high tights by HUE in a clearance rack and bought five pair and love them. The shoes were a nice choice for heeling! Also, you must be lucky to be able to find such good shoes; you must have a smaller foot than mine.

Keep it up!

Thanks HF! I can usually wear a women's 8.5-9 shoe, and my feet are narrow, so that's a plus for me. I bought a bunch of women's trouser socks so I had some thin socks to wear, and they work out well. I just have to keep my nails trimmed though; I had to retire a few after I put some holes in the tips of them :thumbsup:.

I just have to keep my nails trimmed though; I had to retire a few after I put some holes in the tips of them :thumbsup:.

Radiodave,

I figured that you had a pedicure from the pictures you posted in the sandals and slings! If you don't get regular pedicures, I highly recommend it. You have nice looking feet and you should treat yourself. I get a pedicure about once per month (with clear polish) and it keeps everything nice and tidy, with no sock accidents.

Keep the adventures coming.

Coming out of Radio Shack, I'm walking along the storefronts to cross over to my car, and a group of Latinos comes out of a store. Hmm... :wink1: These guys are wearing ball caps backward, chains, and it's looking like a possible entertaining moment for all parties. Suck it up, smile and nod in greeting, and don't stare. One guy kind of made a U-turn and walked right past me, and the others asked "Adonde vas?" (where are you going?). I figure I remember enough Spanish from high school that I'd be able to figure out if I'm the subject of their conversation, but I didn't hear anything else. The guy making the U-turn walked back toward the trash can at the curb, but he didn't seem to be looking down. The others were looking my way, but nobody started smirking or laughing uncontrollably, and they didn't seem to be staring at the shoes. I had to remind myself that folks will look, they might stare, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure enough, all was fine! :thumbsup: No laughs, no ugly looks, no loud epithets, and the world didn't come to an end!

..../snip/......

Sorry the pictures are a little dark.

Over here we would call that a "brown trouser moment". Hopefully it's self-explanatory. :-?

It's the very situation I fear the most <or rather it could have led to> .... grief or unwanted attention from a group of youths. And I'm sure in the same situation I would have gone back into Radio Shack for some bogus reason. You must have big cojones. B)

"You da man." :smile:

Wedges look interesting, but the picture probably doesn't do them justice? Certainly, they fit with the outfit. B)

Thanks HF! I can usually wear a women's 8.5-9 shoe, and my feet are narrow, so that's a plus for me. I bought a bunch of women's trouser socks so I had some thin socks to wear, and they work out well. I just have to keep my nails trimmed though; I had to retire a few after I put some holes in the tips of them :oops:.

My feet are a US10, but like yours, fairly slim.

I've always had a little problem with the nails of my large toes cutting socks, but usually when I let them grow a little. [Mine are real tough.] More recently I've kept them short, and for the most part, smooth.

Apart from one incident where I'd plainly let my nails grow too long and they cut the hose I was wearing, I've not lost hose or socks while wearing heels. Different situation with flat shoes though. Since starting to wear heels more frequently I've been throwing away at least one pair of socks per week, sometimes two pairs, having worn them with flats. It's gotten so bad, I bought 14 pairs of cheap (read thin) black socks last Monday, fully expecting to wear them once before "retiring" them. :-?

Does wearing HH give your big toes something of a work-out that eventually makes them 'super-human' in strength? :wink:

You must have big cojones. :thumbsup:

"Big cajones"..LOL

Since I haven't yet been in a "brown trouser" moment in heels (another brilliant saying), I'm not sure what I'd do. Early last week I walked into an apartment building in heels, and passed a couple teenegers who were all "gangsta'd up". Maybe it's because I am big, but not a word...

Saying that, I would be unnerved a little passing a big group of teens, if only because I know how much "peer pressure" means to them. You know someone would be "forced" to say/do something...

Billy, here in NE Massachusetts, we have a lot of Puerto Rican people, especially in the Lawrence area. Which, to me, is a great thing as a lot of local shoe stores cater to the higher heels the lovely ladies like to wear...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Radiodave,

I figured that you had a pedicure from the pictures you posted in the sandals and slings! If you don't get regular pedicures, I highly recommend it. You have nice looking feet and you should treat yourself. I get a pedicure about once per month (with clear polish) and it keeps everything nice and tidy, with no sock accidents.

Keep the adventures coming.

Yes, I do take care of my nails, it's just something I have to stay on top of for that reason. I had a professional one once, but I have found I can maintain them myself. I have my own supplies and they come out looking almost as good as the professional ones.

Dave

After reading you second outing and the brush with the Latinos I was wondering what part of the US do you live. By the way did you get your car fixed?

Yes, thanks, I got the little car fixed. I put an aftermarket fuel pump in that keeps the fuel line pressurized, and it doesn't seem to be in danger of stalling even though it was quite warm out when I test drove it with the new pump. I live in northeast Ohio, about halfway between Akron and Cleveland.

Yes, I do take care of my nails, it's just something I have to stay on top of for that reason. I had a professional one once, but I have found I can maintain them myself. I have my own supplies and they come out looking almost as good as the professional ones.

Yes they do!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some more adventures. Today was an outstandingly nice day, and too warm for my work shoes after work. So, I put on a pair of toe-loop black wedge thongs that I liked, and a toe ring.

Pic 1

Pic 2

I had to go grocery shopping this evening, but that didn't mean I was going to change. Off I went to the store, and exactly two people noticed. One guy looked down as I was entering the store, then looked back up but hardly registered anything. The other was a cute blonde girl who kind of slowly walked past the end of the aisle looking at me, but otherwise nobody, not even the little children roaming the store even seemed to acknowledge them.

After I got home, I decided to go over to the mall. I walked through the Shoe Carnival (low budget store, but they often have nice shoes), and found some cork wedges I liked, but not in my size. The few teenage girls and their boyfriends didn't mind that I was browsing with them. I didn't find anything else I really liked, so I left. Entering Macy's I saw a teenage girl and her mom following me, and from the reflection they were looking down. No strange looks though, they seemed to be cool with what they saw. I found a pair of Steve Madden wedges I liked, so I tried them on right there, even grabbing the disposable socks like we're supposed to. The two ladies sitting next to me just kept chatting on, and didn't seem the slightest bit perturbed by my walking in them briefly. I thought really hard about wearing them out of the store, but... Maybe not this time. The sales lady was very helpful, and even went back to double check that they weren't on sale (darn, they weren't). Even though I didn't wear them out of the store, I changed in the car. I went by another store wearing them, but nobody blinked there either. Hmm... Maybe I'm anticipating too much reaction. But hey, I'll take it! :o

Pic3

Pic4

I went over to the other mall, thinking I'd go by Aldo. Since the new wedges are a tad fussy to put on, I put the thongs back on. Nothing that really justified the price there, but I thanked the staff anyway. The Macy's there has a much bigger department, so I browsed there too. I did find a pair of sandals with stilettos, but they weren't outrageously high. Hmm... Maybe these bear a second look. They were nearly 70% off! Well, I gotta see if they have my size. The sales lady found them, and they fit perfectly. Okay, now I've got to wear them home. She asked if they fit alright, and after I paid for them, she reminded me of the promotion they are having to go log on to their website and offer your feedback. So I asked if she would mind if I change into them, and she said that would be fine, and pointed to some empty chairs, wishing me a good evening. She was nice, I think I'll be sure to give her some good feedback. Walking out of the mall was very uneventful. I think the only folks who noticed were in the car that came around the corner as I was walking across the crosswalk. They certainly got a good look, and after they drove by I saw they did a second look as they turned down the one of the lanes. So I smiled, and they just continued on. No overly amused looks, just kind of an expression of "Well there's something you don't see every day".

Pic 5

Pic 6

RadioDave,

You're a much braver man than me! Congrats on your purchases.

BTW, what part of the US (or city/state if you care to) do you live in?

Thanks! I live in Ohio between Akron and Cleveland. These malls I was at were near Akron.

Great story Radiodave, and very nice shoes too. Sounds like you had a great day but not as much attention as you were maybe hoping to get.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Dave, Great outing! Keep 'em coming. I was shopping yesterday as well. I ended up with a pair of Paris Blues skinny jeans from Ross, but had trouble finding a suitable high heeled platform shoe for the look that I was trying to achieve with the skinny jeans. After hitting several stores I ended up at Shoe Carnival (I refer to it to myself as "Shoe Carnivore"; maybe that's what I am!). Anyways, desparate for something to go with my jeans and my lunchtime almost over, I settled on the Delicious Myway-S in black patent. Sounded like what you may have looked at, but you might have been after a sandal though. Anyways, yours has been an interesting thread. You are telling us about your outtings perfectly - descriptions of your footwear/clothes, descriptions of the reactions you notice, and best of all, pictures! :o Keep having fun, Pumps 'n' Denim (mndnspmp)

Hey Radiodave... I like your stories. Too bad you don't live out in California, where I seem to be the only guy out here wearing hh sandals in public. I have quite a collection of sandals as well, many are very similar to the ones you have. I have thongs, toe loops, wedges, t-straps, chunky heels, kitten heels etc. Most of the heels are 2 to 3 inches and I wear out in public all the time. And like you, most folks don't seen to notice, and to the ones who do, it is a curiosity or non event. If I was more high tech, I would post pictures. Guys, get out there in your heels, especially in CA !!! SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"