Adventures of radiodave

radiodave

Today I went to the dentist, routine cleaning. I wore my new Aldo Sibrel sandals, white pants, and dark blue dress shirt. A little nervous, but very worthwhile. The other lady in the waiting room didn't seem to notice, and while my hygienist surely saw them when she swung the tray over, no odd stares. We chatted about what was playing on the news, she mentioned I was up early (7 AM appointment), and I laughed because when I had made the appointment I assumed I would be at work, and would be able to make it in to work on time. Turns out I took vacation this week. Oh well. So she asked what I planned on doing for the rest of the day, and I just said I might finish touching up the paint on my back door or go for a bike ride, but rain was in the forecast. After the doc stepped in to check on things, no odd looks there either. Just said I need to floss more (darn, I thought I was flossing more...). At the front desk I scheduled my next appointment, and the same lady who was in the waiting room was also just finishing, and I ended up following her out. A guy was holding the door for both of us at the building entrance, so out we went. No strange looks there. I passed by two other women, but they were more interested in their conversation. In all, a good confidence builder, and zero reaction that I could detect.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great experience Dave! I have thought about heeling to the dentist, but I have always held back - heeling is natural to me, but the dentist office seems so exposed. Don't worry, I get the flossing lecture as well. Thanks for sharing!

Style is built from the ground up!

I have never worn heels to my dentist either although right now I don't have a dentist. We were with one for many years, but after Mickey broke her ankle and had to wear a brace, she couldn't use the stairs up to his office and they don't have only the one entrance. We should try to find a dentist where you can walk straight in off of the street, but we haven't done that yet. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Another road trip down to Columbus. I had a DSW coupon, and I just felt like making another trip down that way. A little more daring this time, I started out with my new BCBGirls brown T-strap pumps, black shirt, white Dockers, and the handbag I used once on another outing.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1236

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1241

I did bring along my old standby, my black wedge sandals from the last Columbus trip. First stop was the rest stop about halfway down. A little nervous since these are probably the highest heels I've worn in public, and the peep toes are noticeable, but other than one long look from one guy, no laughs, no nothing! If anything, folks seemed more interested in the handbag. Oh well, on we go.

At the DSW at Easton Place, I changed to the black wedges. Lots to choose from, but the ones I liked weren't in my size, or they were out of my price range. I headed over to Easton Mall to the Baker's there, because I had my eyes on a pair they had. I did get a couple looks from some teenage girls eating lunch at an outside cafe there, but again, I think they were looking more at the handbag. Maybe carrying it diagonally across might be the way to go, I was just carrying it on one shoulder. Anybody have some tips on that?

At Baker's the two ladies were very cheerful, and asked if they had the "Jordin" in stock, since I didn't spot it right away. The one girl knew her stuff, asked if what color I wanted, and went right over to where I had missed seeing them. She disappeared for a while, and I had this sneaking suspicion they might not have my size. Oh man, when they take a long time, it seems like bad news. Then she came out with 3 boxes. Oh, rats. I'll bet she had to bring other colors or sizes. But no! She had my size, and brought out 2 similar styles :). Maybe she's trying to make a big sale. The ones I came for fit great, and I thanked her for taking the time to scare up the other ones.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1237

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1238

I stopped by Steve Madden, but they didn't have much on display. Kind of disappointing, most Steve Madden stores have a nice selection. I went by Aldo too, and a pair of flats caught my eye. They were marked way down, and I had a bad feeling they might be nearly out of them, so I asked. The lady looked a bit nervous, I think she also suspected they were nearly out. Alas, they were. She offered to order them, but I declined.

I headed up north to Polaris Mall, and went by the DSW there, but this time I put my T-strap pumps back on. Some ladies looked, but there were no looks of disapproval or laughs. Again, either they didn't have my size or they were just too darned expensive. But it's nice to look anyway. Maybe I'll save the coupon for some of those boring men's shoes; my work shoes are starting to look a bit tired.

I was getting a bit thirsty by now, so I went into the mall - but changed back to the wedges since the t-straps weren't the best for lots of walking. I saw there was an Aldo there, so on a whim I stopped to see if they had the flats I saw at the other store. Score! They had my size! So I tried them on of course, and ohhhhh..... I think I have a new favorite pair. They are soooo very comfortable. Can't pass up a deal like that, since they were marked down to $24. Since when do find anything at Aldo for that kind of price? I went by the food court to try to find something to drink, and I did get more than a few looks. I got a drink and headed on my way, and had one long look from a teenage girl, but she wasn't looking down, she was looking up at the handbag. So I smiled back. I wonder if she even noticed what I had on. Once I was out to the car I changed into the new flats. Wow, talk about fitting like a glove. I kept those on for the way home, and even at the rest stop nobody seemed to notice. The pants covered most the lacing anyway.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1239

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=1240

I am green with envy that you had another shopping trip to Easton and Polaris. Columbus is such a great town to heel. I am not surprised that the Steve Madden store didn't have much - it really isn't a very big store at Easton. But the best part is that Aldo is right next door! Next time you go down that way, take a few minutes and browse the shoe department at Nordstrom at Easton. I know they are expensive, but the department is HUGE with a lot of activity. I love the Bakers sandals. Bakers is such a great place to shop becuase I have found the service outstanding. I too have asked for a style only to have the clerk bring me five or six boxes to try and I have never felt too much pressure to buy. Maybe its because bakers employees tend to be quite young and most young people in metropolitan areas are pretty cool about a guy wearing heels. Of course I usually have had outstanding service at Aldo as well. I also love your outfit you wore. The t-strap shoes are very nice, though until you have them broken in better I can see that they would be tough for a long day walking on hard surfaces. The Dockers are nice, but I am a sucker for white pants... Thanks for sharing a wonderful adventure!

Style is built from the ground up!

HappyFeat: Thanks! I do like Nordstrom, although I haven't been to the one down that way. I found the ones in my avatar at the Nordstrom in Beachwood. They do have a nice selection, but like you said, a little pricey. Johnieheel: Sounds like an idea for a future outing, I'll keep that in mind. Looking forward to another heel meet, no matter where it takes place. :)

• 1 year later...

Back in the saddle again...

This evening I wore my beige Dockers, my brown Two Lips "Vantage" boots, lavender and white shirt, and my leather jacket. First order of business was grocery shopping, pretty uneventful. After putting the groceries away I had to make more errands, so I headed down to the Home Depot to pick up mouse traps. I heard something scratching or gnawing in the air ducts this morning, and it wasn't the cats. Got a few looks, and smile from a couple of guys. These boots make a pretty noticeable noise, so they aren't easy to miss.

After Home Depot went over to Bed, Bath and Beyond for a refill for my electric razor. One of those self-cleaning Braun units, and the solution was running low. Despite having to walk back and forth a few times after finding out they keep it locked in the display case, just a few looks.

Headed over to the mall to see what Macy's and Aldo had. Aldo had some nice ones, so I tried on their "Degreenia" pumps http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/women/shoes/platform-pumps/81550185-degreenia/96. The two ladies were quite helpful, and gave favorable comments on them. While I was mulling over those, I spotted some pumps that were slightly lower than others I have, the style is "Guiel" http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/trends/galactic/women/81676431-guiel/97. I ended up getting both of them, and again the ladies were most helpful.

Heading back through Macy's, I spotted some boots I liked, but the price tag was a little high. Apparently I'm becoming a regular there, two of the sales ladies recognized me, and the one who saw me looking at the boots remembered my shoe size. I tried them on but they were a little out of my price range. Not too much else really caught my eye, so I headed out, but stopped by the Lenscrafters to get my eyeglasses adjusted.

Headed home, but stopped by Starbucks on the way. Got a look from a couple seated near the counter, and a smile from the lady. Really Starbucks? You raised your prices? :wave: A $3.85 grande mocha is now $4.05? Glad I didn't go for a venti.

Got home, and completely forgot that I needed new furnace filters. I think it's been a while since I changed them. Back to the Home Depot, and on the way out I caught up with a couple guys who set off the theft alarm. I just had two filters, but it went off again as I walked through, so I turned around to see what was up, and the guys said it was still something in their cart, so I headed on out.

post-2079-133522928438_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522928449_thumb.jpg