Gender labels

;) yeah guys, YOU know what I'm talking about the old "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" kind of stuff, SO old school!!!

Razors never used to have a gender label until they realised they could sell more to women if they made them pink and called them femshave or something. Otherwise it's exactly the same product.

that is so sad, that people just follow without ever questioning anything!! with their binkers on!!;)

female : asking for directions, dolls, cats, lace, knitting, baileys, netball, romantic songs, tearjerkers male: reading the map, guns, dogs, tweed, mechanics, guinness, rugby (played by men with funny shaped balls), heavy rock, action films but honestly, we're doing our androgynous ways harm by pursuing this stereotyping.... the map-reading's right tho....

Honestly, every time this subject surfaces, the people looking for instant recognition and acceptance "carp" about the preceived inequality between sexes just because men that wear femine attire are view as engaging in devient behavior. Their constant braying about women wearing trousers and any other article of male attire aren't viewed in the same light as men wearing womens clothing or high heels, etc, is becoming just about more than any civilized person can tolerate. While every male high heel wearer on the face of this earth knows that the general public really doesn't approve of their practice, the only relief they have is to go ahead and wear their heels any time they chose without regard to any negative reaction they might encounter. After all, as has been repeatedly pointed out,well over and over again on this forum, a male wearing heels is just a head game and those that really want to wear them in public should get over it and go ahead and wear them like they own them. But, people that whine and howl about how unfair it is, should always keep foremost in mind that the difference in dress and clothing adornment has been developing as long as civilization has been developing. And, it's patently unreasonable to think that the practice can be eliminated in a few short years. So guys, put on your heels and get ouitside in public. And, get over it

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Honestly, every time this subject surfaces, the people looking for instant recognition and acceptance "carp" about the preceived inequality between sexes just because men that wear femine attire are view as engaging in devient behavior.

Their constant braying about women wearing trousers and any other article of male attire aren't viewed in the same light as men wearing womens clothing or high heels, etc, is becoming just about more than any civilized person can tolerate.

While every male high heel wearer on the face of this earth knows that the general public really doesn't approve of their practice, the only relief they have is to go ahead and wear their heels any time they chose without regard to any negative reaction they might encounter.

After all, as has been repeatedly pointed out,well over and over again on this forum, a male wearing heels is just a head game and those that really want to wear them in public should get over it and go ahead and wear them like they own them.

But, people that whine and howl about how unfair it is, should always keep foremost in mind that the difference in dress and clothing adornment has been developing as long as civilization has been developing. And, it's patently unreasonable to think that the practice can be eliminated in a few short years.

So guys, put on your heels and get ouitside in public. And, get over it

All I wanted to do was just start a little simple and fun thread about gender comparison as the old and traditional society perceives it.

(Refer to first post for example:)

Although, very good point. TU.

real men wear heels

Honestly, every time this subject surfaces, the people looking for instant recognition and acceptance "carp" about the perceived inequality between sexes just because men that wear feminine attire are viewed as engaging in devient behavior.

Their constant braying about women wearing trousers and any other article of male attire aren't viewed in the same light as men wearing womens clothing or high heels, etc, is becoming just about more than any civilized person can tolerate.

While every male high heel wearer on the face of this earth knows that the general public really doesn't approve of their practice, the only relief they have is to go ahead and wear their heels any time they choose without regard to any negative reaction they might encounter.

After all, as has been repeatedly pointed out, well over and over again on this forum, a male wearing heels is just a head game and those that really want to wear them in public should get over it and go ahead and wear them like they own them.

But, people that whine and howl about how unfair it is, should always keep foremost in mind that the difference in dress and clothing adornment has been developing as long as civilization has been developing. And, it's patently unreasonable to think that the practice can be eliminated in a few short years.

So guys, put on your heels and get outside in public. And, get over it

I am probably at least one of the people you are referring to in this post. I can't really say sorry for posting how I feel. This forum has given me a chance to aire the grievances I have kept locked up inside for let's say a great deal of time. Maybe I can't change the social thought over night, but neither is staying silent going to let others know how similar our grievances are. Sharing this kind of pain has been therapeutic. I do feel bad about some of the repetition, but it is really because I just want to drive the point home. Yes, we of this community know this pain very well, so I admit that I am talking to those who are wanting to get on with their lives. There are also those anonymous intruders that read our posts. They should get the proverbial earfull at any of the serious threads. Maybe they will also be someone of influence that can help in restoring our rights, or in the very least, they will know how we feel about our right and need to choose for ourselves.

However, posting isn't my only outlet. I am heeling in public and I do get those stares and smirks, but so far nothing extreme.(Knock on wood for those of the superstitious persuasion) I am not a gifted orator or journalist. I am greatful for this forum and the people who keep it alive. Hopefully this web space can be used for other lofty endeavors soon, due to our becoming accepted social heelers. I can dream, can't I?

How many of you looked at the media coverage of the Oscars? The men basically look like penguins, dressed alike in black and white. If they are of interest, it is because they are famous or are with some interesting woman. The women are of interest mostly because of the way they are dressed. The coverage in the press is all about the gowns/outfits they are wearing. What's the message? Men are manly, serious types. Women are vain and shallow, dressing to show off, just superficial sex objects, trying to attract attention with fancy plumage. The opposite of birds. So, when a man dresses in women's clothes or shoes, you can see where that attracts negative reactions whether people are aware of the reasons for their reactions or not. It all comes down to perceived sex roles. Since women are so shallow, they can do anything and it is not taken seriously or is even encouraged by the shallow fashion world. Do I sound bitter? Maybe so. However, on another slightly different note, Payless is running some sweepstakes/competitions now. One of them involves quotes by people on clothes and shoes. All of them I have seen are by women (see?). The one I liked the best, though it didn't get the votes, should apply to guys as well as girls: Life is short, wear high heels!

I think the last time I saw a man recieve a fair amount of air time at the awards was when Sean Connery wore a Prince Charlie (kilt suit). Again he dared to be differant so he got the attention.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

On the serious note (and although "get over it" may be applicable to some, it is not a one size fits all prescription. My wife, unlike others, tolerates the heel thing to a degree (but a limited one); going out in public together is NOT an option. Likewise, my heeling in our area would not be either (if she is awake, etc. etc.) The repercussions would not be fun.

The same goes for the social community, churches, etc. in all of their various forms. May be some will, maybe some won't. But in a leadership role, in a word, NO!

By no means does my situation fit everyone, but, by the same token, having one's own business, freelancing, etc. is by far different that being in an straight laced organization role.

Your thoughts?

It's all about the heel!

One quirk I've noticed is the few times I've bought heels from Zappos, they ask for my feedback. Now I can't help but wonder how many guys actually buy heels from Zappos, but I figure there must be several others. I've found if I put my name down, they don't make it into the comments for the shoes. If I leave my name out, they do make it in. I get the feeling that having a review by "Dave" for a pair of women's heels just doesn't jive with them. On the other hand, I wonder what women would think if they were looking at reviews for a pair of shoes, and among the first names of the reviewers they see "karen, cindy, veronica, amanda, and DAVE". What if a guy named Sue reviewed them? Or a girl named Shane (yes, I knew a girl named Shane)? ;) Besides, women can have size 9 or larger feet, so why should my review of a pair of size 9 heels not carry any weight? I could understand how a guy reviewing a pair of size 14 heels might not be all that meaningful since your average women's size is less than that.

While every male high heel wearer on the face of this earth knows that the general public really doesn't approve of their practice.

This is wrong as a general global statement. It may be true in certain parts of the States, but in many other parts of the world, the majority are actually indifferent.

Razors never used to have a gender label until they realised they could sell more to women if they made them pink and called them femshave or something. Otherwise it's exactly the same product.

Moreover, has anyone noted any price diffrential between the male product and the feminine one? ;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

One quirk I've noticed is the few times I've bought heels from Zappos, they ask for my feedback. Now I can't help but wonder how many guys actually buy heels from Zappos, but I figure there must be several others. I've found if I put my name down, they don't make it into the comments for the shoes. If I leave my name out, they do make it in.

I get the feeling that having a review by "Dave" for a pair of women's heels just doesn't jive with them. On the other hand, I wonder what women would think if they were looking at reviews for a pair of shoes, and among the first names of the reviewers they see "karen, cindy, veronica, amanda, and DAVE". What if a guy named Sue reviewed them? Or a girl named Shane (yes, I knew a girl named Shane)? ;) Besides, women can have size 9 or larger feet, so why should my review of a pair of size 9 heels not carry any weight? I could understand how a guy reviewing a pair of size 14 heels might not be all that meaningful since your average women's size is less than that.

Well I've known several women named "Sam" and at least one insisted that it was not a contraction of Samantha; there have been several "Billies", and one Eugene and various other male sounding names. I have also known several men named Frances, at least two men named Carrol, and one named Sheila.

But if I ever have a son I'm gonna name him: John, or George, or Charles, or Bob, or anything but "Sue".

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

. . .

But if I ever have a son I'm gonna name him: John, or George, or Charles, or Bob, or anything but "Sue".

Thank you, Johnny Cash :-)

Have a happy time!

being indiffeent doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a negative impression.

It does mean they don't have an negative impression. That's what indifferent means. It means they don't have either a negative or positive impression ie They don't care either way.

I suppose you are right in one sense originally saying people "don't approve" in that they don't actively encourage it, but the words "don't approve" can also be taken to mean positive oppostion. The latter doesn't generally ocurr, but many people are insecure in themselves. They have a constant need to seek approval, and confirmation from other members of society. Heels for guys are not for the sheep.

New Thread idea. Things with a gender label.

Example: Shoes, razors,etc

We missed a very important one: air (OK, perfume).

and beer (although women are breaking in on that one too).

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

but many people are insecure in themselves. They have a constant need to seek approval, and confirmation from other members of society. Heels for guys are not for the sheep.

People are basically social cq herd animals. Each animal

has its role in the group and when one of them doesn't behave as expected the others

may think that he/she could be endangering the whole group.

If a male starts behaving in a way that is perceived as feminine, the 'primitive'

females will see this as a breakdown in the level of protection. (Before we start a little

war on the meaning of this: I mean here a

subset of the females who react more by instinct rather than by ratio, not a classification of all females).

The 'primitive' males react a bit different: If you can bully someone, do it. That is one

competitor less.

Fortunately current society (at least in countries like the US, the UK and the

Netherlands) don't really approve of such agressive (male) reactions. But for the female

reactions there are no guidelines. It is just that we know that the ones who react the

thinking way, and see that what we do is harmless, make (for us) the better partners.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

• 2 weeks later...

'Heels for guys are not for the sheep." I agree with this..to a point. As I've said in previous posts, I remember the early 70's (disco) when men and women alike wore high heels. That was the world wide trend. When disco died, so did the heels, especially on men. Then came Rambo, guns, macho, hunting, autoracing, choppers, and gay as opposed to he-men. Aggressive was in, free spirit was out, especially for men. I believe things have simmered down a little. The sensitive, free-spirited, intelligent man is making a comeback amidst the NASCAR, redneck, steroid era athlete man of the twenty first century. Now does that mean that men wearing high heels will make a big comeback like the 70's? Probably not. But hope springs eternal. As one can see by so many members (especially male members of this website), many will push the envelope, buy and wear high heels privately and publicly and say "look at me (or not), I'm defying the odds and you can't stop me." This has developed into a fun little thread, hasn't it?;)

I live in an average small town of perhaps 5/10,000 folk. Somewhere between 15/20% are openly gay/ lesbian. I wonder if we need obvious gender indicators, such as shoes or dresses to distinquish between male and female. As i understand it, some tribal cultures wear basically identical clothing and manage perfectly well. Labels of anykind seem to cause friction between groups, with gender labels, the results can be quite hurtful.

totter along into history

I believe it would be a much peaceful world if there were no gender labels. I hate the word (Macho). The macho man to me is just another word or excuse for a real man to hide behind. The word gender to me is just another word to keep a lot of people from being who they are and unhappy. I don't know if these two words will ever be eliminated but I'm doing my best to show the world that they should. I'm not even 5'6" but weigh 180lbs with little body fat and can leg press over 1000lbs for sets of 10 and bench well over 300lbs , have a normal hairy chest and wear heels. O, and don't go around being a macho a..hole.

real men wear heels

Look at shoe ads. Stiletto heel shoes are usually or often labeled as women's shoes. Do they think people would think they were men's shoes if they weren't labeled? Forget the labels - they are just shoes.