What is your take on these?

GuyB71

The £1,800 fashion sensation: the amazing high heels that don't have a heel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=517656&in_page_id=1770

They would go well with most things in your wardrobe, since few colours clash with gold or silver snakeskin. But the sensible girl would team these shoes with a crash helmet and an instruction manual. The 5 1/2in creations by Briton Antonio Berardi can hardly be described as high heels, since they lack the most important part - a heel.

For the bargain price of £1,800, the wearer will get to totter around with all her weight balanced on a thickened platform sole. Unsurprisingly, fashionistas are jostling to buy a pair. Stars including Gwyneth Paltrow and Uma Thurman invested in a black patent version costing more than £1,100, shortly after they were unveiled in Berardi's spring/summer collection in Paris. And Victoria Beckham apparently has a snakeskin pair.

They are going on sale in Browns stores in London, where they have to be ordered up to five weeks in advance. Lincolnshire-born Berardi, 39, said he was inspired by Latin American music and 1980s post-modernism, adding: "When you walk, it is almost on tiptoe. You look really dainty."

A spokesman for his Paris-based fashion house said: "The shoe has a bigger platform sole which stretches back further than normal and gives support under the arch of the foot. When walking though, you have to put your toe rather than your heel down first and you cannot wear them for very long. They are not dangerous because you would have to lean quite far back before you fell over."

Podiatrists, who have already warned about the health impact of high heels, were less impressed.

Michael Paynton, chairman of the British Chiropody and Podiatry Association, said: "The heel is there to stabilise. When you elevate the rear of the foot it makes you lean forward, which is bad for both the back and the foot. The front of the foot ends up taking the weight of the bulk of your body, which can in turn do damage to the tendons in your legs by shortening them. I certainly would not recommend these shoes."

The Berardi shoes were joined on the season's catwalks by stilt-like sandals from Alexander McQueen, Nina Ricci heels shaped like a bear's claw and Yves Saint Laurent strappy sandals with a reed-thin metal sole.

I have three words to describe those shoes:

RE-PUL-SIVE!

Are you kidding me? I've seen ugly, and those things redefine ugly! I wouldn't wear those horrors in the privacy of my home, never mind on the streets. Urgh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

They are hopeless. Just think about how many stunning, classy, well-designed, well made and (most importantly) wearable "real" shoes you could buy for that amount of money! What would you prefer - one pair of those in your wardrobe or the dozen+ pairs of Prada's, Louboutin's, Miu Miu's, Manolo Blahnik's and Geiger's you could have instead.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

The shoes doesn't appeal to me at all, they look like "okay" pretty and sametime very dull. The price is absolutely ridiculous. ;) And if you would be thinking about wearing them just for going out or go shopping :wave: that would be like murder, just asking for troubles. I would assume you would need some ballet lessons to get used on idea having your weigh fully on your tip toes, before even having second thoughts wearing them. So no thanks. When your wearing those you should need to wear bicycle helmet also. :cool1:

"Even when I'm a mess, I put on a vest... with an S on my chest, oh yes.. I'm a Superwoman.. "

Blow 'em up about 150 times and attach to the front of a boat for an arctic icebreaker! That's about the only use I could see for those heel-less wonders (wonders meaning "wonder who concocted THOSE atrocities up???).

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

They're simply disgusting.

Regarding the comfort, one month ago I broke the heels of a pair of pumps. It came to my mind the image of these shoes so I tried a few steps with my new un-heeled pumps. It was something impossible. Despite they had a small platform, it was very hard to walk normally. No support for the arch, it was all tiptoeing.

If stylist want to create unheeled shoes they must "prolong" the sole to the rear up to the point where the tip of the heel would arrive, thus providing heel-like support when walking and standing.

M

Can you see the real me, preacher? Can you see the real me, doctor? Can you see the real me, mother? Can you see the real me?

Since we have only had one female opinion I did a survey of the houseold:

Mrs. T&H: first thing she said there's no heel, they look painful and wobbly

T&H daughter number one: Interesting, would wear them.

T&H daughter number two: I might try them if there is no wind.

T&H Yuk! and an interesting question no one seems to have asked yet. How does one stand up from a chair?

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Well, well, well. I was wondering where these went, let alone where to get them. These are the perfect "pony" shoes for me. I'm willin' to give them a try, as I am with ballets. ;) If you ask me, I'd waste my money (and probably my life) on these, no questions asked.

Formally "HHDude"

I personally see no appeal in them, especially the price tag. Like the other pair of heel-less heels, I feel I could walk in them with practice, but I can't really see myself bothering. If my boyfriend were to express a desire to see me in them- and buy them for me- I would absolutely learn to wear them, but I can't really see him liking them either.

there was a section on the richard and judy show about these very heels yesterday (26th february 08). I've taped it but not watched it yet!

Get that video on youtube! Haha, some like me wanna see what they said about them.

On the other hand, these may be terribly ugly to some, but think about it. They probably have the same difficulty to walk in as ballets do (if not, making ballets look easier). Now, if it's the look everyone's concerned about, I'll zip my mouth, as of now. ;)

Formally "HHDude"

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think they are ugly, but I think the concept has possibilities.

The sole looks likes it extends back to under the ankle, so the wearer only has to keep their weight forward of their ankles, rather than completely on their toes - so these would be much easier than ballet boots, but more difficult than a tradional wedge.

The platform also extends up under the arch, so they would give more support than Marcus' unheeled shoes.

They're certainly a new alternative to the wedge or heel.

If the platform was lower, or the whole design was less heavy looking they would have more potential. I would like to see other designers take on the same concept - which may happen if these take off.

rob i agree with you..... the shoe is not to my taste but i can appreciate the design concept of the shoe..... the first thing i can think of is that the front of the platform is fill with something extremely heavy to keep the balance ;) if they kill off the platform to a reasonable thickness and simply have the heel undercutting the middle of the sole rather than the back... it could just form another heel style.....

The beauty of high heels is exactly that - the heel.

I guess for me, the beauty of high heels is the effect they have on the wearer - The way they arch the foot, the way they shape the legs, change the posture, the way they make the wearer move, the way the foot can become a straight line extension of the leg in the highest heels, etc, etc. All these things are more important that the actual shoe itself.

However if the shoe looks good in itself, all the better.