Shoe fitting techniques

Marcus

Pretty self-explanatory. Altough I'm 42(,5) EUR I find that all the heels I've are 41 EUR. I don't know why, but they fit perfectly (maybe women want to hide the fact of having big feet, so manufacturers change the scale, boh). 41 EUR tends to be a bit tight. So I use some talcum powder to make the inside of the shoe more "slippery", and then I can put properly the shoes on. Do you know other techniques for this? Perhaps a particular way to put on the shoe in order not to crush the toes?

Can you see the real me, preacher? Can you see the real me, doctor? Can you see the real me, mother? Can you see the real me?

Yeah, how can I try a pair of pumps like these in front of dozens of people?

Anyway, in the market there aren't (high) heeled shoes up to 42, they stop to 41 or even 40. I know for sure 41 fits perfectly even if the concept of "fitting perfectly" changes for every shoe, that's true. 40 sometimes is tight, that's why I've "developed" the talcum technique.

And just wanted to know if someone knows other techniques.

Can you see the real me, preacher? Can you see the real me, doctor? Can you see the real me, mother? Can you see the real me?

i think that women's shoes are just like the rest of their clothes; there is no "standard" for fit & sizing. oh, sure... a 12 in one brand/style will closely approximate a 12 in another, but i have 11w shoes that fit the same as some 12w shoes. why this should be if a european 44 won't match a 43 makes NO SENSE, but this does get women trying on more stuff than they would otherwise and therefore buying more than otherwise. imagine walking into a shoe store, seeing the shoe you like, and telling the clerk: "i'll take that in a 12w". then walking out with your purchase, without needing to try ANYTHING on! their sales would plummet. r1g0r (a euro 44, men's 10.5, and a womens 11w to 12w.)

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

I have a set of shoe stretchers that do wonders. Usually, when I have to buy a size 10 because 11s are not available, the women's toe box is long enough, just tight due to the shape. A night with the stretchers in will oen it up enough it fits perfectly. I like the powder idea. I have a few pair that I have to work my feet into because the toes stick going in. They fit great once I m adjusted in them. CJ

Would say the same as admirrer, stockings or nylon thights do the trick as well..... but what do you do after a time when the shoes start to get very tight.... This must be very uncomfortable, Marcus, to have your toes crampt into the shoes... FL

FoxyLady

I find that rocking the shoe back and forth on my foot, just after I've put it on, tends to re-arrange everything so the fit is more comfortable. This isn't always necessary but with some styles it helps. Pulling the shoe on sometimes seems to pull muscles, tendons and skin into uncomfortable positions and if I just wiggle it around on my foot before I stand up, things get sorted out and feeling better. Stockings reduce the need for this and the powder would probably work too.

Have a happy time!

Since I have very big feet and it's almost impossible to find shoes in my size in Brazil, I have to import them or pay too expensive to make them custom (the look results varies) so I have some techniques: - Talcum Powder seems to work sometimes; - Supermarket plastic bags - this is absolutely great, they work better then nylon socks, just put your feet in them and slip-on; - Stretch the shoe is the last alternative (for me), it can be done two ways, with a stretcher (takes more time) or take a good quantity of wet newspaper and put firmly on the shoe for a day or two; - There's a stretching technique I didn't try myself, is to make the shoe wet, wear it and dry it with a hairdryer, but I really don't know if this technique ruin the shoe.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

This is where nylons do the trick. Not thick as socks and with very low friction that helps your toes slide into the shoe.

I love wearing nylons with my heels!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The trouble is with lotion or vaseline or any other lubricant is the fact that it stays in the shoe for a while, even when you no longer need it...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Besides remaining in the shoe, it can get on (transfer) any stockings or socks thay you might later wear with them. The substance can also find it's way onto the outside surfact and create grease spots that you won't be able to remove. Stick to stocking, kneehighs or trouser socks. Besides they feel so sexy when wearing heels. :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I agree with you Marcus on the fact that women's sizes tend to be a bit larger than males. At least on what the Euro Scale should be.

Here, down south, the scale goes up to 40 on most stores. Maybe some few designers might stretch up to 41. But, actually, a 40 in women's sizes is pretty close to a 41. Depending on the brand, off course.

I'm a 41.5 in male sizes, 42 in some cases. I can manage female 40 pretty well; I always ask for the biggest size though.

Anyway, stockings are fine for fitting them. My main problem is generally with the shaft of the boots.

Tell me about the shaft of boots!! I have already, I don't know how many knee high boots, but can't wear them because of the shaft. My calfs are to big. The foot size is perfect, I can close the zipper up to approx the ancle and that's it.... If the boots are pull-on and the shaft is stretchy, I'm fine. FL

FoxyLady

.... My calfs are to big. The foot size is perfect, I can close the zipper up to approx the ancle and that's it....

I have the opposite problem. The shaft is usually too big. I've had at least 1 pair reduced round the calf by a cobbler. Even with ankle boots, there's often far too much slack round the ankle.

To stretch shoes, if they are real leather, I have gone as far as taking a shower in them. Afterward stuff them with a towel. When they are dry, I rub the shoes down with oil to prevent dry rot. However, I have found trying them on first is the best bet... But be careful in the shower with heels...

Style is built from the ground up!

I wear an 8 1/2 women's shoe, normally. i have used a shoe horn to put on some size 8 pumps that i bought once. Before using the shoe horn, i put a bag filled with water inside each shoe, and then put them into the freezer. The bags froze, stretching the shoes. Sometimes, i wear socks, which stretch the shoes even more. I am wearing the pumps now and then, to further wear them in. The back of the right shoe weakened a bit, becomming kinda flimsy, but i can still get my foot in it, where it then becomes stabilized. Good luck!

I found that if you put a patent leather pump inside the freezer, with a bag of water inside it, the bag will freeze, and it will help stretch the shoe. Of course, you need to strategically place the bag where the shoe needs stretched, like right under the vamp, or the back of the shoe. I had a couple brand new pairs of pumps, size 8 1/2, as well as a used pair of pumps that is size 8 (as seen in a prior message than this one) that was stretched enough to wear using this method.

Well pumpedup, that's a good one. I'll do it next time. I have some tools to stretch the shafts of boots, but ice is a great idea. I believe one should colden the water before putting the the bag in the shoe as 4°C is the temperature for the smalest volume. I have a very high arch so it's difficult for me with some pull-up boots.

Yeah, how can I try a pair of pumps like these in front of dozens of people?

The answer is to walk in with head held high and try on the shoes. Bring a friend for moral support if need be.

You know, some transgendered/intergendered/queer people are seen- EVERY time they leave the house, by EVERY person, as gender suspect. You are in excellent company.

Your $$$ is as good as anyone else's.

If it helps, tell yourself you are a lauded actor/actress starring in a new play, and need new shoes for the role. You are a freaking celebrated glamor person. It is none of some little retail clerk's business why you need to try on the shoes. Maintain an attitude of snobbery, with a sense of humor! They should serve you with the utmost of consideration. If they offer the slightest bad attitude, demand to see the manager! You want service! To spend $$$$! What could be more simple? Carry yourself with a sense of purpose and humor and ENTITLEMENT.

Good Luck.