Would you pay more for larger sizes?

hoverfly

Would you pay more for larger women sizes if they were more widely available?  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay more for larger women sizes if they were more widely available?

• Yes, I would pay more.
    • No, I would not pay more.

If women shoe manufactures like Diba, Steve Madden, Candies, ect, made larger sizes more available, would you pay more for the additional material and labor used to make them? Yeah, I would.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

personally i wouldnt

ok it may well cost more to make them but if you keep them the same price as "normal" sizes then we might see your making an effort and buy more of them :D

OK, then should they charge a higher "normal" price to have larger sizes out on the racks?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Well, it would not bother me if the price was slightly higher

Most fashion is that way now. Big and Tall sizes for men as well as Plus sizes for women have a slightly higher price.

If this is what it would take to get some decent selections, I am all for it.

Gary0618

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

they can if they want i know some shoe shops that sell high heels in a size 8/9 for £1-£5

But I need at least a UK 10/U.S. 12 so how would that help me?

no offence but its not ment to haha :D

None taken, but it still leave the question unanswered? What about those who wear shoes larger than a size UK9/U.S. 11 in a high heel? Hmmmmm?

I would be prepared to pay slightly more say 5 pounds more if it meant more of the mainstream high heels found around in the size ranges 3-8 uk were available in larger sizes, bit fed up of fetishy high heels which are relatively easier to get in large sizes.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

Although I have no problems buying shoes to fit my feet, I struggle with knee length boots as my calves are about an inch too large. As it is if I want leather as opposed to stretch PU, I can either go to Evans or Duo. Evans seem to fit a 17" calf in my size, which is an inch larger than I need. I've not tried a pair on yet so I don't know if this will be a problem. Boots from Duo are £150 per pair. They're very nice, but that's still a lot of money. So yes, I'd pay more if I could find boots I could get into easily! Chris

well evans dont charge extra for larger sizes and they go up to a 10.....ok granted they aint exactally the most stylish...but if it was prada or gucci who your wanting then yes i would pay more because they are a stylish brand and they are pretty much bullet proof (unless you intentionally put them through mud/water/etc)

If Nine West shoes which I love were available in 13 wide, you bet your life I'd pay more! In a New York minute!!!! :D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 4 years later...

I would if it meant I could go to more stores and be able to try on before I buy - no problem! It would be nice to see more styles that don't scream hooker or "CFM" in larger sizes for those of us with a bit larger tootsies.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I'd be surprised if anyone said, "No, I wouldn't pay more." That's not to say we'd be happy about it, or question it's fairness. But for those having to buy a larger sizes (I need at least a 13), price is rarely an issue - selection is.

There are probably half a dozen shoes at Payless I'd like to get if they came in a 13. I don't think any "large size" surcharge could be too much on shoes that rarely sell for more than $50.

As long as it's a reasonable price adjustment... no, wait. Still no. I don't pay more for my size 12 sneakers than Jones pays for his size 9 sneakers, why should/would I pay more for my size 13 heels than Jones pays for her size 9 heels?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Because some of the online stores charge more for sizes over 12, which is their way to gouge more from customers who have less choice of where to go. There are other online places that don't charge extra and generally have lower prices, too. Those are the ones I would use.

Is it fair to pay more for larger sizes? No. If you have a small size, you dont pay less then a medium size. ( just like Daniel said) However, i would pay more, since i have a size US12, its hard to find heels.

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

Remember that the question is, "would you pay more for larger sizes?", not, "should larger sizes cost more than smaller sizes?". I'm sure most of us on principle don't like it, the question remains, would you pay the money? Alternatively, "Would you not buy a pair of shoes you like because the price has higher than smaller sizes?"

Remember that the question is, "would you pay more for larger sizes?"

(also stated as)

"Would you not buy a pair of shoes you like because the price has higher than smaller sizes?"

I would not, because my shoe-buying experience has never reflected a need for sliding prices based on size. Just recently on eBay, I saw Payless shoes listed for sale at boutique prices ($49-59) when I know they cost in the <$30 range. That's egregious price-gouging -- moreso when you consider that Payless charges $7 for standard home shipping, and this seller was shipping at $12.95 a pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-EAGLE-MARY-JANE-PUMP-SHOES-WOMENS-SZ-13-W-NEW_W0QQitemZ370094573105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Shoes?hash=item370094573105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A3|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A5|294%3A100

same shoes directly from Payless:

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Womens&SLC=WomensDress&BLC=WomensDressTrendy&Width=Wide&ItemCode=61519&LotNumber=064232&Type=Adult&Popularity=82&DescriptiveColor=Black

Should I really pay an extra $47?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I guess it would depend on how much for me -- if a couple of dollars (perhaps an extra 10% of the price on a US size 6 - 8 ) would make the difference between a shoe I could only look at and one I actually could wear, yeah I'd go for it. I have seen a number of styles I really liked but did not buy because the biggest they went was still a size or two too small for me. Had they been available in my size, even for a bit more money, I would have bought them. I will not buy a shoe I have no hope of wearing, no matter how much I like the style. Seeing it and wishing it was in my size is torture enough in the store, having it in my posession without being able to wear it would drive me completely out of my tree. I can believe there would be some extra material in a large-sized shoe but I cannot believe the labor costs would be much different. There do seem to be some economic realities in carrying and selling the larger sizes and a higher price might offset that.

Have a happy time!

1. In terms of ebay pricing, that's certainly not limited to shoes. Ebay is full of listings where an item is being offered for more than it costs (or way above the average price for it). One exception shoe-related is there is one ebay seller that sells Payless shoes, and will ship them overseas (vs Payless, which is limited to US, maybe just North America addresses). 2. In terms of shoe costs, comparing the same shoe in say: - size 5.5 - size 9 - size 13 there's probably several things that contribute to the cost: - material costs: larger shoes obviously use more material, but is it that much? Unless you're into an exotic material (snakeskin, special leather), I doubt the extra cost for the additional material is significant. - engineering: if I had to guess, I'd say that shoes are either built from similar molds (for a given size), or, a shoe is designed in a base size (maybe 8 1/2), and then the proportions adjusted for common sizes (maybe 6-10). At the extreme sizes, you can't just scale a shoe, you need to specifically design it. If correct, it could be a manufacturer doesn't want the extra expense to design larger (or smaller) sizes. - saleability: no merchant wants to take delivery of merchandise they think they'll have problems selling. For Payless, it could be a shoe that sells for $150. The typical customer there very likely won't spend that money, and the only way to sell it is at a big discount (likely a loss). Similiarly, someplace like Macy's or Bakers, it's unlikely they get a lot of customers looking for size 13 shoes. Akthough the logic is a bit convoluted, one way to offset that potential future loss for larger shoes that don't sell is to charge more for ones that do.

Yes, I would definitely pay a little more if that is what it took to make more sizes and higher quality available to all of us. The availability of high quality, stylish, wearable footwear is always a problem. I'm hoping that higher-quality brands will make more available in larger sizes and I'd be willing to pay for it. Something stylish, more high quality looking, and wearable in typical situations.

Something else that comes into it is the number of shoes, in each size, they can sell. If they are going to tool up to make different sizes that work costs 'less per shoe' if they sell thousands ,compared with selling a few hundred to us in larger sizes. There is no great conspiracy out there to rip off people with larger sizes,if there was money in it they would go after it. Maybe whats happened is the market for large sizes has increased in recent years and manufacturers have been slow to respond,and the current manufacturers have put their prices up accordinly?

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically, you already do pay more for larger sizes. Same goes for smaller sizes. Even in brands that make a size US11-12 (or a US 5 or 5.5), they make far fewer. I had a clerk tell me that when they do get 11's for example, they may only get one pair which means that the possibility of getting an 11 on clearance or in a discount store is greatly reduced. For sizes over US10, you are almost forced to pay full retail to get them, thus you pay more in the long run.

Style is built from the ground up!

I would pay more if they did not have my size. Fortunately my foot size is a womens 10.5-11 and i can get shoes and boots most of the time. That said, I have found nice shoes and boots from European companies like Laboutin and Clergerie do not often come bigger than 10/40-41. That is where I would spend the money, Laboutin's. Gaborit custom makes boots in any size and yes I did pay more for custom sizing. Mtnsofheels

I don't think the cost of additional material would warrant but a few cents or more. The main cost of a shoe these days is the marketing, shipping, display, packaging, and taxes. Except for leather, but even then, raw leather prices for the entire shoe don't come to more than a couple bucks. There's not enough difference between an 8 and a 12 to warrant more than 30 cents difference in price.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I don't think the cost of additional material would warrant but a few cents or more.

The main cost of a shoe these days is the marketing, shipping, display, packaging, and taxes.

Except for leather, but even then, raw leather prices for the entire shoe don't come to more than a couple bucks. There's not enough difference between an 8 and a 12 to warrant more than 30 cents difference in price.

Having been in the fetish clothing business, and having dealt with shoe and boot manufacturers, and having a "problem size" myself (US 15), I can tell you that the biggest reason for the difference in price for "non-standard" sizes is the cost of having the lasts made (for each style) in the particular non-standard sizes that you want. Often-times a manufacturer's last for a particular style of shoe or boot is unique or proprietary. You have to convince them to take the time to have the new lasts made ... and typically he will want you to pay to have that done ... and then they keep the lasts ... or you have to go out and have your own lasts made and convince a manufacturer to use your last ... all of which is even a bigger hassle. Think about it ... the manufacturer has a sizeable investment in the all the various lasts and shoe components that he uses for his shoes and boots. He wants to grind-out as many pairs as he can during the course of the day ... ship them out ... get paid ... and never see them again. With bigger sizes ... he has to deal with special lasts and sometimes different shoe components, (for instance he cannot use the same 4 or 5" stiletto heel on a size 14 that he uses on a size 7). At the end of the day, the manufacturer is well-aware that the special lasts and different shoe compnents will not be used on a regular basis to make him money. So, what typically happens is that if you can find a manufacturer who is willing to make bigger sizes, (assuming that you get over the issue of the lasts), he is usually only willing to make a few pairs here and there between normal production runs, because he certainly doesn't want to be sitting on a lot of stock in size 14 and 15, that may never sell, unless, of course you agree to pay for a whole day's production run .... say 25 or 30 pairs ... and that gets real expensive.

I would absolutely pay more. I find it very frustrating being just a little outside of the "norm" (as far as size is concerned) how limited I am regarding mainstream boots and shoes. I seems to me that with the amount of men that enjoy wearing womens shoes some of the larger manufacturers would take a chance on increasing their size range. They just might be pleasantly surprised.