Have I been Wrong all Along?

Gige

Probably to most likely...yes! I apologize as this post will either make me look indecisive or like a politician trying to backtrack on earlier comments. A few situations have occurred, however, that are worth exploring and has me reconsidering my previous positions on topics covered in this forum. 

I think it was in mid-July when I was at SLAM (St. Louis Art Museum) wondering one of the exhibition halls when I encountered a young woman wearing a black sweater, a midi length black and white patterned skirt, and a pair of black, 4" "funky" heeled boots. I casually approached her and as I always do, explained that I did not mean to be forward, rude, or aggressive, but simply wanted to let her know that her outfit was beautiful and as a boot lover, I greatly appreciated her wearing such high heeled boots, especially on a summer day in St. Louis. In short, she explained that the boots were Vince Camuto and were supremely comfortable to the point that she frequently wore them to her office.  We spoke for a few minutes about wearing heels before heading in our separate directions. 

Next, a few weeks ago, I had to physically go to a branch of my bank to conduct some business that I could not complete online. I was dressed rather "mildly" in that I was wearing blue, just above the ankle jeans, blue vans, and some top - nothing fancy and rather casual. The banker with whom I met that Saturday was wearing an incredible outfit the likes of which have not left my mind. The woman was probably in her early 50's and had a very lean figure proportional to her height. Her outfit, however, was insanely gorgeous. She was wearing a black or very dark blue, long sleeve-mid thigh dress which buttoned all-the-way down the front. The sleeve cuffs, collar, the tops of the pockets on the mid chest area were white - it fit her like a glove. Her footwear was a pair of either creme or very light beige over-the-knee boots with a ~3" heel.  When she asked me how she could be of assistance, I responded to the effect of that the first order of business was to make it known that her overall outfit was "stunning!" My actual banking business took no more than three minutes but as there were no other customers in the waiting area, we spoke for about 15 minutes about her boots, brands of footwear we like (e.g. Jessica SImpson, Steve Madden, and  Vince Camuto) and where we shop. All the way home, some 90 miles, I could not stop thinking of that outfit. I had come to the conclusion that if she (and the woman from the first encounter at SLAM) could and do wear such beautiful outfits, why can't I do the same?  

Then, today on a much needed break following a horribly stupid morning, I read a short article about "appropropriate" heels for work/office. The writer (a woman) noted that, as has been mentioned here (ad nauseum, I am sure) what is appropriate footwear/heel height for a professional environment is truly up to the wearer of such to decide. She (the author) noted that, generally speaking, 3-3.5" is usually "the limit" of heel height for professional settings but again, the idea of what is "appropriate" may be a confluence of multiple factors such as personal tastes, company policy, etc. The writer seemingly cautioned against wearing heels higher than 3.5" because of issue of practicality, lack of grace when walking, and other similar concerns. 

All of this started me thinking about what heels do I actually wear to work and what heels do I WANT  to wear to work. I have a few pairs of the "Taken" model boots from Giaro I purchased via Shoebidoo in Utrecht, Netherlands. They feature a 12.5cm/5" block heel and I have always wanted to wear them out somewhere. I have worn my black pair out once albeit to a drag show, so they really fit the mood of the event. Despite the tall heel, they are easy in which to walk and they give me a sensation unlike that of any of my other heels. I began thinking of ways I could possibly wear them out or to work. I have some concerns about wearing them to work only because my employer likes to write utterly ambiguous employee policy so that management has absolute discretion in enforcing as it sees fit. Likewise, as I have a knack for pointing out gaping holes in company policy, much to the chagrin of my bosses, wearing an item that even remotely approaches the realm of "inappropriate" will potentially cause problems for me. This is why I have yet to wear a mini-skirt to the office although I absolutely have the legs for it! Then I thought, what if a cover my boots? I have a pair of long, wide legs pants that are perfect and would only expose the very bottom of the heel and toe. I personally do not care if anyone sees them as the sensation of wearing something that tall is strictly for me. 

So, the question is, based on the photograph, would you do it? The photo with the skirt is just to show what the boots look like but the one with the black pants is an actual outfit I might wear.  I have several pair of 4"+ boots/heels that I am now reconsidering wear to work when the bosses are not around, such as the friday before long/holiday weekends. I am really inspired by the banker with whom I spoke because until now, wearing over-the-knee boots in a professional seemed so taboo and verboten, especially if one was over 25 years old.  

IMG_2863~photo.JPG

For Work.JPG

STL.JPG

Jeans 1.JPG

Edited by Gige
Typos - of course!
  • Like 3

Fairly long winded way to get to the question at hand. You look fine with the pants and heels. 

As me me, I long lost all worries. I wear 5 inch narrow stilettos at work virtually daily. Just do it. 

32 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Fairly long winded way to get to the question at hand. You look fine with the pants and heels. 

As me me, I long lost all worries. I wear 5 inch narrow stilettos at work virtually daily. Just do it. 

Yep - have that problem of being overly wordy and long winded. If I could only get paid by the word, I would never have to work again (Think Herman Melville).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gige said:

Yep - have that problem of being overly wordy and long winded. If I could only get paid by the word, I would never have to work again (Think Herman Melville).

On the contrary I enjoyed the whole of your posts. Your posts always provide interesting reading and are well thought out. The site needs more posts like yours!

I like the boots. I wear skinny jeans myself with boots over them. Long trousers over the boots also look good - I would go with whatever looks best in your eyes on the day and make “visibility “ only a secondary consideration 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gige said:

Probably to most likely...yes! I apologize as this post will either make me look indecisive or like a politician trying to backtrack on earlier comments. A few situations have occurred, however, that are worth exploring and has me reconsidering my previous positions on topics covered in this forum. 

I think it was in mid-July when I was at SLAM (St. Louis Art Museum) wondering one of the exhibition halls when I encountered a young woman wearing a black sweater, a midi length black and white patterned skirt, and a pair of black, 4" "funky" heeled boots. I casually approached her and as I always do, explained that I did not mean to be forward, rude, or aggressive, but simply wanted to let her know that her outfit was beautiful and as a boot lover, I greatly appreciated her wearing such high heeled boots, especially on a summer day in St. Louis. In short, she explained that the boots were Vince Camuto and were supremely comfortable to the point that she frequently wore them to her office.  We spoke for a few minutes about wearing heels before heading in our separate directions. 

Next, a few weeks ago, I had to physically go to a branch of my bank to conduct some business that I could not complete online. I was dressed rather "mildly" in that I was wearing blue, just above the ankle jeans, blue vans, and some top - nothing fancy and rather casual. The banker with whom I met that Saturday was wearing an incredible outfit the likes of which have not left my mind. The woman was probably in her early 50's and had a very lean figure proportional to her height. Her outfit, however, was insanely gorgeous. She was wearing a black or very dark blue, long sleeve-mid thigh dress which buttoned all-the-way down the front. The sleeve cuffs, collar, the tops of the pockets on the mid chest area were white - it fit her like a glove. Her footwear was a pair of either creme or very light beige over-the-knee boots with a ~3" heel.  When she asked me how she could be of assistance, I responded to the effect of that the first order of business was to make it known that her overall outfit was "stunning!" My actual banking business took no more than three minutes but as there were no other customers in the waiting area, we spoke for about 15 minutes about her boots, brands of footwear we like (e.g. Jessica SImpson, Steve Madden, and  Vince Camuto) and where we shop. All the way home, some 90 miles, I could not stop thinking of that outfit. I had come to the conclusion that if she (and the woman from the first encounter at SLAM) could and do wear such beautiful outfits, why can't I do the same?  

Then, today on a much needed break following a horribly stupid morning, I read a short article about "appropropriate" heels for work/office. The writer (a woman) noted that, as has been mentioned here (ad nauseum, I am sure) what is appropriate footwear/heel height for a professional environment is truly up to the wearer of such to decide. She (the author) noted that, generally speaking, 3-3.5" is usually "the limit" of heel height for professional settings but again, the idea of what is "appropriate" may be a confluence of multiple factors such as personal tastes, company policy, etc. The writer seemingly cautioned against wearing heels higher than 3.5" because of issue of practicality, lack of grace when walking, and other similar concerns. 

All of this started me thinking about what heels do I actually wear to work and what heels do I WANT  to wear to work. I have a few pairs of the "Taken" model boots from Giaro I purchased via Shoebidoo in Utrecht, Netherlands. They feature a 12.5cm/5" block heel and I have always wanted to wear them out somewhere. I have worn my black pair out once albeit to a drag show, so they really fit the mood of the event. Despite the tall heel, they are easy in which to walk and they give me a sensation unlike that of any of my other heels. I began thinking of ways I could possibly wear them out or to work. I have some concerns about wearing them to work only because my employer likes to write utterly ambiguous employee policy so that management has absolute discretion in enforcing as it sees fit. Likewise, as I have a knack for pointing out gaping holes in company policy, much to the chagrin of my bosses, wearing an item that even remotely approaches the realm of "inappropriate" will potentially cause problems for me. This is why I have yet to wear a mini-skirt to the office although I absolutely have the legs for it! Then I thought, what if a cover my boots? I have a pair of long, wide legs pants that are perfect and would only expose the very bottom of the heel and toe. I personally do not care if anyone sees them as the sensation of wearing something that tall is strictly for me. 

So, the question is, based on the photograph, would you do it? The photo with the skirt is just to show what the boots look like but the one with the black pants is an actual outfit I might wear.  I have several pair of 4"+ boots/heels that I am now reconsidering wear to work when the bosses are not around, such as the friday before long/holiday weekends. I am really inspired by the banker with whom I spoke because until now, wearing over-the-knee boots in a professional seemed so taboo and verboten, especially if one was over 25 years old.  

IMG_2863~photo.JPG

For Work.JPG

STL.JPG

Jeans 1.JPG

Oh boy, this seems like a tough question to answer.  First, let me say that those tan boots are beautiful, and you look great.  But, it sounds like you have a bit of a tough relationship with that boss/manager, so I don't want to advise anything that will strain that relationship any more than it is.   I think you look amazing with the levis over the boots, but am guessing wearing the jeans to work might be pushing it.  Next on my list, would be the tighter pair of black pants over the boots.   Tell us more about what you have worn to work in terms of heels in the past...  Would this be your first time wearing heels/boots to work?  If you have worn heels/boots to work in the past, was there any negative pushback from management?  If not, how about coworkers, although it is hard to imagine anything else but endless compliments coming from coworkers.   If you have worn heels to work in the past, and there were no issues, then I would definitely wear the outfit with the tighter black pants and boots.  You could wear the tan boots as well.

Sorry that I probably haven't helped much, I just don't want to recommend anything that will cause issues at the work place.