Subtleties of gait and movement, and getting a steady inner rhythm

Andy3142

I'm new but I  get the basics of walking in heels and I do a pretty good job in the street in stable 9 cm / 3.5 inch block heels. What I notice though is that I have MANY subtly variant ways of walking, only slightly different from each other. From the point of how I look I don't think it matters much. But I find it takes work to settle down into any stable rhythmic pattern, especially as walking speed varies.

It's hard to put into words, but a big part is how much my pelvis moves, and another part is how much work my big toe does.  There are other components and I could say more but I don't want to complicate things. Right now I'd just like to know if others find this too.

For avoidance of doubt, the problem is not tottering, instability, lack of balance, etc. I've got past those things, at least in block heels.

Does anyone else have this experience? Do you have any advice/thoughts for getting a stable rhythmic walk, or good Youtube videos?

I'd appreciate if you could please keep replies on-topic.

Ah, we've started a whole new thread on this subject, which is probably a wise decision. Without getting into great detail about it, I have found that yes, indeed, the "push off" is probably more important than the step forward. After all, other than momentum, the leading foot, which we all tend to focus on, provides no energy at all to get us from Point A to Point B. So it is really these series of pushes from the trailing foot that keeps us moving.

The question is how to transfer the energy from one foot to another. It is my belief that the best looking way is for the bottom of the trailing foot to be perpendicular to the ground at the time of power transfer. This may also coincide with being the most efficient way to walk. Your mileage may vary. What I do not find efficient, though somewhat attractive, is excessive movement of the opposite hip immediately after power transfer. It might be more natural for biological females to walk this way, but it is mostly an affectation of models and beauty queens. Which is not to say that we can't take cues from these people, but their example needs to be toned down for the street.

The main thing I have found is that there needs to be fluidity and relaxedness when walking in heels, however that presents itself. While at the same time retaining an upright posture to an almost rigid degree. Particularly, pay attention to your head. As we get older, it for some dumb reason becomes easier for us to jut the head forward, ahead of the neck, instead of keeping it on top where it belongs. That doesn't make any damn sense to me, but I only know that it is so. I have to consciously fight "turtle neck." That alone can completely ruin the effect of heels.

Pay attention to all of these things, but relax. I know, nearly impossible, init?

Edited by mlroseplant

I’ve never really taken the trouble to analyse my walk, although I know I could be better, smoother and more fluid. I guess I think if it more like ice skating - so many things needs to come together for you to do it well. I tend to go for overall movement, the whole of the motion, rather than try to break it down into parts. To me that complicates thinks too much.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 5:23 AM, mlroseplant said:

Ah, we've started a whole new thread on this subject, which is probably a wise decision. Without getting into great detail about it, I have found that yes, indeed, the "push off" is probably more important than the step forward. After all, other than momentum, the leading foot, which we all tend to focus on, provides no energy at all to get us from Point A to Point B. So it is really these series of pushes from the trailing foot that keeps us moving.

The question is how to transfer the energy from one foot to another. It is my belief that the best looking way is for the bottom of the trailing foot to be perpendicular to the ground at the time of power transfer. This may also coincide with being the most efficient way to walk. Your mileage may vary. What I do not find efficient, though somewhat attractive, is excessive movement of the opposite hip immediately after power transfer. It might be more natural for biological females to walk this way, but it is mostly an affectation of models and beauty queens. Which is not to say that we can't take cues from these people, but their example needs to be toned down for the street.

The main thing I have found is that there needs to be fluidity and relaxedness when walking in heels, however that presents itself. While at the same time retaining an upright posture to an almost rigid degree. Particularly, pay attention to your head. As we get older, it for some dumb reason becomes easier for us to jut the head forward, ahead of the neck, instead of keeping it on top where it belongs. That doesn't make any damn sense to me, but I only know that it is so. I have to consciously fight "turtle neck." That alone can completely ruin the effect of heels.

Pay attention to all of these things, but relax. I know, nearly impossible, init?

On 3/30/2024 at 5:23 AM, mlroseplant said:

Oh, come now.  It’s really very simple.  First you put the right foot in then you take it out, then you put your left foot in and shake it all about —- that’s what it’s all about! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’ve never really taken the trouble to analyse my walk, although I know I could be better, smoother and more fluid. I guess I think if it more like ice skating - so many things needs to come together for you to do it well. I tend to go for overall movement, the whole of the motion, rather than try to break it down into parts. To me that complicates thinks too much.

I suppose there is something to be said for just walking, but so many people do it badly, even in flats. I suppose it's just like singing--everybody can do it, but few do it well. There is more to the story for me, though. I have always been fascinated by gait, at first among our four-legged friends. Even though it was considered a "fault," I always found it rather charming when my German Shepherd Dog mix, Sadie, would sort of turn at an angle when she broke into a trot, because otherwise, her trailing and leading feet would hit each other. At one time, I could tell you how many miles per hour was the line of demarcation between walk and trot, trot and canter, canter and gallop. If I overanalyze human gait, I come by it honestly. I'm a bit of a gait geek.

Well put! I know exactly what you mean, although I'm no gait geek myself. 

That said, I am conscious of the fact that in stilettos I am too stompy and would like to lose that stompiness.  Likewise I was aware of the moment when walking in my 3.5 inch heeled ankle boots suddenly 'clicked' and I could feel my gait shifting into something fluid and which I knew instinctively to be right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

I wear stilettos almost 100% of the time. I admit I occasionally get stompy too, but that usually only happens when I'm tired.

I’m relieved to hear that because you are obviously an expert