Cali World

Cali

Let me first warn @mlroseplant that the following pictures may upset your stomach.

I am going to retire these old slides (home only use). Breaking in the replacement pair now.  

retirement1sshh.jpg

retire2hh.JPG

I was in the new slides yesterday in the post office parking lot when this woman drove up and said something about liking my heels. She then drove over and parked her car so that her window was next to my window.

Her: Those shoes must hurt,

ME: I only buy shoes that don't hurt. 4-inch heels helps with hip pain. Then there are my knee-high stiletos I love wearing.  You know why?

Her: NO, why?

ME: To mess with people's minds.

After she left to go in the post office, I could see the other woman in the car smiling (laughing) and I asked her "Do you think I messed with her mind?"

"YES"

Edited by Cali
  • Like 4

On 10/19/2023 at 2:19 AM, Cali said:

I am going to retire these old slides (home only use). Breaking in the replacement pair now.  

The ones in the right don't look that bad but maybe they stretched too much to remain comfortable...

On 10/19/2023 at 2:19 AM, Cali said:

I was in the new slides yesterday in the post office parking lot when this woman drove up and said something about liking my heels. She then drove over and parked her car so that her window was next to my window.

Her: Those shoes must hurt,

ME: I only buy shoes that don't hurt. 4-inch heels helps with hip pain. Then there are my knee-high stiletos I love wearing.  You know why?

Her: NO, why?

ME: To mess with people's minds.

After she left to go in the post office, I could see the other woman in the car smiling (laughing) and I asked her "Do you think I messed with her mind?"

"YES"

I like when people try to engage a conversation about shoes, maybe she was trying to ask where you bought them so she can have the same? (I'm sure you have the information about how her face looked at the very moment anyway)

Never had unknown women talking about my shoes at public places but I got complimented 3 times by unknown men.

I really like your wedges, yet to find some that look good in my size.

• Like 1

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an encounter with a woman in combat boots this week. I've known her for 15 -20 years and she is also married a collegue who was also a fellow grad student with me back in the early 80's. (I must be old!) Last year on a raining day she asked me 'if I got the memo not to wear suede in the rain?'  -  I was wearing faux suede knee highs at the time, so no problem.

Anyway, we both are on a governing body and at our bi-montly meeting last week. We sat next to each other, I looked down and saw she had very large shoes one, combat boots.

I said "those shoes are huge", and we compared our shoes side to side, her's were 4 cm longer. But she wears a size 8 1/2 while I wear a size 10; that 4 inch heel sure makes a difference.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Cali said:

I had an encounter with a woman in combat boots this week. ...

I had to read beyond this at least twice before I could determine who was wearing the combat boots.   I did wonder if you had taken to kicking hapless females ...

15 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, those boots are gonna walk all over you. Funny thing is, actual combat boots are not all that big compared to normal shoes.

Unlike heavy soled hiking boots and mountaineering boots which have been my default footwear since my university days. I had grown so accustomed to wearing those that when I bought my first pair of stiletto boots I thought there must be some mistake in sizing. They appeared so much smaller than what I was used to wearing. But the sizing was perfect.

I just got back from a professional conference with 250+ representative from around the state. This conference was held in a LARGE Hotel in a rich area in southern California. This fact will be important later in this ‘article’.

Of course, I wore heels every day. To go with the other stories, I just read on this forum, today I also wore my leather pants and bodysuit to debate in. (BTW the leather pants were a hit and there is plan for a group leather pants day at the next big meeting.) About 30 women wore block heels over 3 inches all the time.  Last night at the reception, many more wore heels, including 10 stilettoes.

BUT that’s not what this story is about. It about seeing HUNDREDS, yes, HUNDREDS, of heels.

On night this Hotel also had reception for something, what it was for I don’t know, but judging by the number of Bentleys and Roll Royces their attendees arrived in, I think it was a reception for SIGNFICANT (5 figure or more) donors to some charity. They were dressed up to the nines. Very few women had flats, and only a few had kitten stilettos. Most wore 4+ inch heels, 80% or more stilettos. So, I saw HUNDREDS of high heels during in a short period of time.

And now for a laugh.  I had to wait for the rest of my contingent to come down so we could go to dinner. I was sitting there by the elevators (their event was on the second floor) with other representatives waiting for the rest of their groups. One of the women I was sitting with remarked “ýou can almost hear that woman say ‘OW’ ‘OW’ ‘OW’ ” … as she walked by.

• Like 1

Cali,

Leather and heels are a natural go together. Each one compliments the other. I'm the same, wearing fauxe leather leggings with heels, pumps, ankle boots and knee boots. I love them all.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

I had several people (mostly women) tell me I look fabulous. I just said WTF and went bold with my professional peers. And it paid off. 

20 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I love the idea of leather trousers - I don’t own any though 

They are not real leather trousers, they are faux leather. Many are coated leggings or jeans, but they give the impression of leather. Maybe @bluejay can add more about them.

Edited by Cali

I wouldn’t mind faux leather. But all I ever seem to come across is leggings, which don’t appeal to me. I’d love to get a pair of nice real- or faux-leather jeans. I think they’d go well with my chunky heeled ankle boots. I love the look.

• Like 1

I quite like the look of leather or faux leather trousers, although I don't own any.   But I think that a man so clad could attract quite a lot of adverse attention from many people - more perhaps than if he was wearing obvious high heels.   They have a certain 'reputation' in the UK, unless worn by e.g. young (or once-young, now faded) pop singers and the like.   A shame, however; leather can look very smart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

I quite like the look of leather or faux leather trousers, although I don't own any.   But I think that a man so clad could attract quite a lot of adverse attention from many people - more perhaps than if he was wearing obvious high heels.   They have a certain 'reputation' in the UK, unless worn by e.g. young (or once-young, now faded) pop singers and the like.   A shame, however; leather can look very smart.

What can I say, I'm long pass being just a senior citizen.

Mine are from Express and have a zipper and button closure, but no front pockets.  Got to keep those flat front look with pocket seams.

I have had mine for 4 years, but have only worn them a few times.  

They are similar to these but with no front pockets

https://www.express.com/clothing/women/super-high-waisted-faux-leather-'90s-slim-pant/pro/07472330/color/Pitch Black/e/regular/

• Like 2

I had a heel malfunction at an airport this week.  I think my heel go knock ascue on the escaltor. When I went through TSA I notice it and I thought I had fitted it when I put them back on post TSA.  However, the heel pad was missing when I got to the gate.  Luckly I had  a pair of running shoes with me.

Next, where do I find a replacement for the heels for these booties.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Cali said:

They are from Soda. I also have anpther pair where I have worn out the heel. I would love to find a source for this heel type.

fixheelsm.jpg

You have asked this question before, in 'New Heel Tips'.   As I said there: 'Easier [than filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust] is to shape a piece of softwood to fit the cavity and wedge/glue it in.   Then add glued-on rubber or composition heel piece, preferably also nailed into wood with brass nails.'

I have done this successfully on a couple of pairs with hollow plastic heels.   I have yet to find a source of moulded plug-in replacement top pieces, whgich obviously come in a myriad of shapes/sizes/fittings to suit the original boot or shoe.

Edited by Puffer
typo

22 minutes ago, Puffer said:

You have asked this question before, in 'New Heel Tips'.   As I said there: 'Easier [than filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust] is to shape a piece of softwood to fit the cavity and wedge/glue it in.   Then add glued-on rubber or composition heel piece, preferably also nailed into wood with brass nails.'

I have done this successfully on a couple of pairs with hollow plastic heels.   I have yet to find a source of moulded plug-in replacement top pieces, which obviously come in a myriad of shapes/sizes/fittings to suit the original boot or shoe.

And even if you could, why would you? Those stock heel tips are crap! Although I don't do it myself, and after 11 years I seriously doubt I'll start, Vibram or other such material as replacement heels is superior in every way to these little things with nubs on them that come from the factory.

One question, though. Why specifically softwood?

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

And even if you could, why would you? Those stock heel tips are crap! Although I don't do it myself, and after 11 years I seriously doubt I'll start, Vibram or other such material as replacement heels is superior in every way to these little things with nubs on them that come from the factory.

One question, though. Why specifically softwood?

11 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I have only stock up to 12mm across. I think you'll need a cobbler for these. They often use larger parts then grind and buff to the shank shape. 

I quite agree about the pathetic quality of (most) moulded top pieces and I was not seeking a source other than out of curiosity.   But, if they don't exist, I must question how a cobbler would replace worn/missing heels without adopting a solution such as mine, as simply cutting a larger piece of suitable material to size does not solve the fixing problem into a hollow heel.   I use softwood (as distinct from hardwood) simply because the right sort of offcuts are always to hand in my workshop and shaping is easy.   I can't see why a harder wood 'plug' would be beneficial as it is only there to be a foundation for the new top piece to be screwed or nailed into.    I suppose that one could put plastic wall plugs into the exiting holes and screw through the new top piece into them, but my solution is somewhat stronger.

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

I quite agree about the pathetic quality of (most) moulded top pieces and I was not seeking a source other than out of curiosity.   But, if they don't exist, I must question how a cobbler would replace worn/missing heels without adopting a solution such as mine, as simply cutting a larger piece of suitable material to size does not solve the fixing problem into a hollow heel.   I use softwood (as distinct from hardwood) simply because the right sort of offcuts are always to hand in my workshop and shaping is easy.   I can't see why a harder wood 'plug' would be beneficial as it is only there to be a foundation for the new top piece to be screwed or nailed into.    I suppose that one could put plastic wall plugs into the exiting holes and screw through the new top piece into them, but my solution is somewhat stronger.

I'm probably headed up to my cobbler this week or next. I will ask Marty how he deals with this issue. Somewhere in my collection I must have hollow heels like that, but nothing that I wear regularly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I'm probably headed up to my cobbler this week or next. I will ask Marty how he deals with this issue. Somewhere in my collection I must have hollow heels like that, but nothing that I wear regularly.

Thatwould be quite informative.

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I would have expected several of your wedge heels to be of similar hollow construction, and need reheeling from time to time.

9 hours ago, Cali said:

Thatwould be quite informative.

I get the impression that you are not looking for a DIY remedy, Cali; am I right?   What I suggested above is quite easy to do with basic tools.

6 hours ago, Puffer said:

I get the impression that you are not looking for a DIY remedy, Cali; am I right?   What I suggested above is quite easy to do with basic tools.

I'll will probably do a DIY on them, but I am extremely busy right now. I have the tools, wood, and other supplies, the only thing I lack is time.