The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

This week is the week of non-mules sandals, it would seem. My choice of the Söfft Ivory sandals this week is partially because they are among the lower shoes I have, and I'm trying to take it easy lately, so as not to injure myself. As I said elsewhere, my Achilles tendon is bothering me a bit, and I think it's because I overdid it on the heel training a couple of weeks ago, and then I overdid it on the walking the last two weeks of August, trying to catch up and make my monthly goal. Which I somehow managed to do, but that was not smart.

SöfftIvorySandals.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that my Achilles tendon seems to have returned to somewhat normal. I'm still going to take it easy, but it no longer feels like I'm going to make one misstep which will land me in the doctor's office. It's funny that my right foot is my stronger, more flexible foot, but it is the one that has given me all the problems.

The bad news is that I bought four pair of thong sandals over the past month, and I've trashed two of them already. I never have any luck with those things. Maybe I should just give up. Both of these pair were awesome to wear, right up until the point that they failed. This type of fastening must somehow be intrinsically weaker than others. This always happens to me, and fairly quickly.

TrashedThongs.jpg

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

The bad news is that I bought four pair of thong sandals over the past month, and I've trashed two of them already. I never have any luck with those things. Maybe I should just give up. Both of these pair were awesome to wear, right up until the point that they failed. This type of fastening must somehow be intrinsically weaker than others. This always happens to me, and fairly quickly.

As Shyheels suggests, boots are more durable.   Maybe these would be a good compromise:

O1CN01zNN3EC1HXKkJeML7k_29216107_1800x1800.png?v=1724401029

On second thoughts ...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that my Achilles tendon seems to have returned to somewhat normal. I'm still going to take it easy, but it no longer feels like I'm going to make one misstep which will land me in the doctor's office. It's funny that my right foot is my stronger, more flexible foot, but it is the one that has given me all the problems.

TrashedThongs.jpg

Not really surprised. Way too much stress on the goofy thong. Be done with them. Stick to true mules and sandals. 

15 hours ago, Puffer said:

As Shyheels suggests, boots are more durable.   Maybe these would be a good compromise:

O1CN01zNN3EC1HXKkJeML7k_29216107_1800x1800.png?v=1724401029

On second thoughts ...

Really like these and the boot may support the foot sufficiently to unload the thong. Where in the world did you find this boot?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Not really surprised. Way too much stress on the goofy thong. Be done with them. Stick to true mules and sandals. 

Really like these and the boot may support the foot sufficiently to unload the thong. Where in the world did you find this boot?

Found at first outlet by chance, but China made and available elsewhere at varying prices - see second/third outlets or search image on Google:

https://prettyunik.co.uk/collections/boots/products/black-stiletto-heel-summer-sandals-thong-boots

https://fedoramonet.com/products/black-leather-pointed-open-toe-clip-toe-hidden-zipper-thin-heels-knee-high-boots-women-summer-sandals-thong-boots

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005006102419680.html

and see them in action (sort of!) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQlgRDVwjWA

Edited by Puffer
Added info

Oddly enough, I've never had the actual thong break--it's always the other bits. In the instant case, it's obvious that one of the side straps came loose on the black pair, and there's just no fixing that. On the beige pair, the entire wedge heel is starting to detach from the insole of the shoe. Admittedly, that could probably be fixed, but the "patent leather" material is starting to peel in at least five different places, so they will never look very nice. Oh well.

I did once have a pair of more expensive, high quality thongs from Michael Kors. The problem with those was that the real leather was so buttery soft that after a while it stretched out massively from use, so that eventually the sandals became unwearable.

This whole behavior is cyclical. I go through a phase every few years where I suddenly get this urge to find some heeled thongs, just to see if maybe this time they'll work out.