The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

This week is the week of non-mules sandals, it would seem. My choice of the Söfft Ivory sandals this week is partially because they are among the lower shoes I have, and I'm trying to take it easy lately, so as not to injure myself. As I said elsewhere, my Achilles tendon is bothering me a bit, and I think it's because I overdid it on the heel training a couple of weeks ago, and then I overdid it on the walking the last two weeks of August, trying to catch up and make my monthly goal. Which I somehow managed to do, but that was not smart.

SöfftIvorySandals.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that my Achilles tendon seems to have returned to somewhat normal. I'm still going to take it easy, but it no longer feels like I'm going to make one misstep which will land me in the doctor's office. It's funny that my right foot is my stronger, more flexible foot, but it is the one that has given me all the problems.

The bad news is that I bought four pair of thong sandals over the past month, and I've trashed two of them already. I never have any luck with those things. Maybe I should just give up. Both of these pair were awesome to wear, right up until the point that they failed. This type of fastening must somehow be intrinsically weaker than others. This always happens to me, and fairly quickly.

TrashedThongs.jpg

Glad to hear your Achilles tendon is better - always wise to go easy, at least at first.

Sorry to hear about the sandals. One nice thing about boots is that they are much harder to trash!!! 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

The bad news is that I bought four pair of thong sandals over the past month, and I've trashed two of them already. I never have any luck with those things. Maybe I should just give up. Both of these pair were awesome to wear, right up until the point that they failed. This type of fastening must somehow be intrinsically weaker than others. This always happens to me, and fairly quickly.

As Shyheels suggests, boots are more durable.   Maybe these would be a good compromise:

O1CN01zNN3EC1HXKkJeML7k_29216107_1800x1800.png?v=1724401029

On second thoughts ...

• Haha 1

Its the glue used to hold the shoes together. The glue get brittle with age and turns into a powder. I have had about 6 pairs that had the same failure at about the same age of the shoe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have some good news, and I've got some bad news. The good news is that my Achilles tendon seems to have returned to somewhat normal. I'm still going to take it easy, but it no longer feels like I'm going to make one misstep which will land me in the doctor's office. It's funny that my right foot is my stronger, more flexible foot, but it is the one that has given me all the problems.

TrashedThongs.jpg

Not really surprised. Way too much stress on the goofy thong. Be done with them. Stick to true mules and sandals. 

15 hours ago, Puffer said:

As Shyheels suggests, boots are more durable.   Maybe these would be a good compromise:

O1CN01zNN3EC1HXKkJeML7k_29216107_1800x1800.png?v=1724401029

On second thoughts ...

Really like these and the boot may support the foot sufficiently to unload the thong. Where in the world did you find this boot?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Not really surprised. Way too much stress on the goofy thong. Be done with them. Stick to true mules and sandals. 

Really like these and the boot may support the foot sufficiently to unload the thong. Where in the world did you find this boot?

Found at first outlet by chance, but China made and available elsewhere at varying prices - see second/third outlets or search image on Google:

https://prettyunik.co.uk/collections/boots/products/black-stiletto-heel-summer-sandals-thong-boots

https://fedoramonet.com/products/black-leather-pointed-open-toe-clip-toe-hidden-zipper-thin-heels-knee-high-boots-women-summer-sandals-thong-boots

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005006102419680.html

and see them in action (sort of!) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQlgRDVwjWA

Edited by Puffer
Added info

Oddly enough, I've never had the actual thong break--it's always the other bits. In the instant case, it's obvious that one of the side straps came loose on the black pair, and there's just no fixing that. On the beige pair, the entire wedge heel is starting to detach from the insole of the shoe. Admittedly, that could probably be fixed, but the "patent leather" material is starting to peel in at least five different places, so they will never look very nice. Oh well.

I did once have a pair of more expensive, high quality thongs from Michael Kors. The problem with those was that the real leather was so buttery soft that after a while it stretched out massively from use, so that eventually the sandals became unwearable.

This whole behavior is cyclical. I go through a phase every few years where I suddenly get this urge to find some heeled thongs, just to see if maybe this time they'll work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a minor shoe reshuffle yesterday. With all the new hires and all the failures I've had this year, my old system of organization was not working well anymore. In the process, my first two pairs of heels, which I keep for nostalgic reasons, were once again relegated to the upstairs closet, where they will be rarely seen.

To recap from years ago, the black, thicker heeled mules are Söfft Aviano, my very first pair of heels. Let me clarify that. My very first pair of heels I bought with the intention of wearing them in public, and not hiding them in the crawl space or something. I always say they are low heels, but putting a tape measure to them, they're actually 3 3/4" tall, with a 3/4" platform, so they're not super low. I'd put them at the low end of mid-heels for me. As I recounted fairly recently in some other thread, that first walk in them, which was approximately one mile, and not all at once, was perhaps one of the longest walks I've ever taken in my life!

The other pair, Sbicca Hutton (made in the USA, by the way), I keep because I think of them as my first "high" heels. This is mainly a visual characterization, because the tape measure says otherwise. Yes, the heel is a "high" 4 1/2 inches, a height that was inconceivable to me at the time, the platform is 1 1/4 inches, making them a rather tame 3 1/4 inches. Even my ex-wife could handle that for a few hours. I wore them a lot, to the point where they were not very nice looking anymore, and I bought another pair. By that time, I'd lost interest and never wore the new pair much. In my time of convalescence, I decided to take the old girls out for a spin one last time last week. Yeah, they feel low. Not only that, I shattered both heel tips in a one mile walk. I guess they are over 10 years old. They feel like 10 year old shoes that are plain worn out. It's either the bin or the back of the closet.

OGHeelsSide.jpg

OGHeelsTop.jpg

• Like 2

I have a couple of  bits of news, and a thought. Number one, I am on to yet another new job, which is quite a bit like my old job. I am moving back into the world of data centers, at a company known for being small and squidgy, at least by name. I am not 100% sure exactly what I will be doing, but I am close to 100% sure that I will be cold this winter. I have been spoiled by several years of working inside during the winter.

Number Two, I ordered me a pair of Devious Domina 101s, which is a Pleaser mule with a supposed 6 inch heel. From the pictures, I don't believe that for a second, but if it were a 5 1/2 inch heel, that would be perfect for training. Or at least the concept of training. If I don't get my right foot and ankle issues straight, there will be no training. I'm doing just fine, but there is still some definite weirdness going on down there.

And now for the thought: Elsewhere, I reported a sighting of a woman in heels, but I was only able to get a very brief glance, to the point that I couldn't really tell you much about this woman except for the shoes she was wearing at the time. This got me to thinking that yes, I do have an unusual focus on footwear (or lack thereof) compared to most people. However, I really dislike pictures of feet and/or shoes only, and there are a TON of those out there. My focus is on the feet, but it's the total person, and how they present themselves that catches my eye. I suppose that's why you'll rarely see me post a picture of shoes only, unless it's for a very specific reason. It's because I fundamentally dislike those pictures. I may be ugly, but you got to see the whole me to get a sense of the foundation upon which I stand.

• Like 2

I know what you mean - I too do not care much for photos just of shoes. But as a photographer I much prefer being behind the lens than in front of it. And that has nothing to do with being in heels - if I am in one of my shots (and I am excellent at self captures on expeditions) I do everything I can to anonymise myself. I'd like to shoot images of myself in heels - if I can make them look good artistically. I've not done fashion photography before. I've experimented a bit and I am growing more pleased with the results. but I've a ways to go yet...

15 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I know what you mean - I too do not care much for photos just of shoes. But as a photographer I much prefer being behind the lens than in front of it. And that has nothing to do with being in heels - if I am in one of my shots (and I am excellent at self captures on expeditions) I do everything I can to anonymise myself. I'd like to shoot images of myself in heels - if I can make them look good artistically. I've not done fashion photography before. I've experimented a bit and I am growing more pleased with the results. but I've a ways to go yet...

That's just it--I am not going for artistry in my shots, or there would never be any to show. However, I have to admit that I've gotten completely stale, and I don't know what to do about it. I shoot my photos in the same spot, using pretty much the same poses. Therefore, I am uninspired to shoot more, because what's the point? The only reason I take any of these pictures in the first place is for y'all, and y'all have seen enough of me to get the idea. I will probably change my mind tomorrow, but right now I'm not feeling the need to document any more of my escapades.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

That's just it--I am not going for artistry in my shots, or there would never be any to show. However, I have to admit that I've gotten completely stale, and I don't know what to do about it. I shoot my photos in the same spot, using pretty much the same poses. Therefore, I am uninspired to shoot more, because what's the point? The only reason I take any of these pictures in the first place is for y'all, and y'all have seen enough of me to get the idea. I will probably change my mind tomorrow, but right now I'm not feeling the need to document any more of my escapades.

We do appreciate all your photos and efforts, but also understand if you are somewhat "burned out".  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 5:28 AM, mlroseplant said:

The only reason I take any of these pictures in the first place is for y'all, and y'all have seen enough of me to get the idea. I will probably change my mind tomorrow, but right now I'm not feeling the need to document any more of my escapades.

I feel the same way at times.  That is why I havent posted anything in a while.

On 9/28/2024 at 8:52 AM, pebblesf said:

We do appreciate all your photos and efforts, but also understand if you are somewhat "burned out".  

I do like your documentations but also understand. I haven't posted any of the topics I thought I would in a while like heels at work etc. I hate to say it but think this forum is dying on the vine.

It needn’t die if we don’t let it. It’s a pity that hardly any of the new members who say hello when they first join never post again, but that’s down to them. But there is a small core group here who post regularly and I certainly find that interaction enjoyable and worthwhile. Where else can you have frank chats about heels and style? 

• Like 2

Shyheels is right in his analysis - and I reckon that even the 80:20 rule is not met.   There is enough heel-related 'news' (whether public or personal) to report or comment on as it emerges, so where are the rest of the 'special correspondents'?

We've been saying for years that the forum is dying, and thus far it hasn't happened. At any rate, I'm doing an about face and posting some pictures. At church on this past Sunday, I wore a traditional men's suit with black pumps. I was running a little bit late, so I picked the shoes I thought I would have to fuss with the least. That did and did not work as I planned.

It's been a while since I've worn either my gray suit or my Vince Camuto Carra pumps, and I had forgotten a couple of things. Number One, the pumps may look boring and conservative, but they're 4 3/8 inches steep! Higher than I was mentally prepared for that morning. Number Two, my pant legs kept getting caught on the back of the shoe, especially my left. I might consider some dressy looking ankle boots next time.

ChurchOOTW092924Front.jpg

ChurchOOTW092924Side.jpg

• Like 2

Very presentable - one looks at the photo and sees at first only a well dressed man. The fact that he’s wearing heels is only a secondary observation - one that could easily be overlooked in passing. The heels aren’t hidden, they appear natural and in a way that can go a long way towards normalising the notion of a man in heels.

I can imagine the trouble with the pant legs getting caught in the back of the shoes. Ankle boots would indeed be a good idea in those circumstances

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with Shyheels. Can't add too much other than I hate it when my pants leg hangs up too. Not because how it looks, actually love look, but it's uncomfortable. Even more so with slings when the hem gets between your foot and shoe. 

Also heels are made to be seen, as such I buy pants shorter than I used to.

Guess I did have something to add. Shyheels just saved me half my typing.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just my personal preference (or prejudice) but I think that melrose's suit would have looked better with somewhat narrower trouser legs that were also a little shorter - and which surely would be less inclined to get caught on a shoe.   But a smart look nevertheless. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Totally agree with Shyheels. Can't add too much other than I hate it when my pants leg hangs up too. Not because how it looks, actually love look, but it's uncomfortable. Even more so with slings when the hem gets between your foot and shoe. 

Also heels are made to be seen, as such I buy pants shorter than I used to.

Guess I did have something to add. Shyheels just saved me half my typing.

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

Maybe it's just my personal preference (or prejudice) but I think that melrose's suit would have looked better with somewhat narrower trouser legs that were also a little shorter - and which surely would be less inclined to get caught on a shoe.   But a smart look nevertheless. 

That's exactly the road I have been down for the last 5-7 years--skinnier and shorter pants. Men's suits, at least traditional ones, are not made that way. At some point, I started buying women's pants that were the same color, or at least close to the color of some of my suits. In some cases, you can't tell that I've left the actual suitpants on the hanger at home. In this case, I have nothing that matches well enough, as there are shiny flecks in this fabric.

Also, the people who think they know what they're talking about keep telling me, "Skinny jeans/pants look dated! Wide legs are in!" I thought I'd give it a go. I personally think I look better in less expansive clothing. I shall do some more experimenting in the months to come, but somehow I think that maybe I'll land back on skinny, or at least skinny-ish.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I really like the skinny jeans and knee boots look. And if you have OTK boots it’s the only way to go. Trying to tuck OTK boots under jeans would be really awkward and probably look stupid 

I had already put all of my shorts away for the season, but it was freakishly warm yesterday (+30º C), so I couldn't resist taking a pair out for one more spin. I was actually inspired to meal plan for the week just so I could wear my shorts to the grocery store, which I did. The model is wearing Bakers faux-wood wedges in a calf hair type material and Banana Republic shorts. These are probably my favorite shorts out of the more than dozen pair I own, but I don't wear them often, due to their length, or lack thereof. Today, it's a return to normal temperatures, and the shorts must go back in their spot for the winter.

BakersWedgesShorts.jpg

BakersWedgesSideWornClose.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Church OOTW. I think this one may be a fairly close repeat of something recent. I was in a hurry, and the blue pants were already ironed. I know I didn't wear this last week, so heck with it. My blue FSJ mules have turned out to be pretty decent shoes after a very rocky start, in which both heel tips broke within about a quarter mile. They haven't given me any trouble since. I also went to a music recital later that afternoon wearing the same outfit, same shoes.

ChurchOOTW100524.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2