Let It Snow, Let It Snow..

I came in to the city last night. The weather started getting bad. Brother in Law calls me and says to stay put as the Farm and Southern Tier is getting hammered.

I figured ' No problem '. I have a Built Jeep Renegade, I can go anywhere.

WRONG!

I made it about 3 miles Southward and there was absolute zero visability. Fortunately, I turned around and went back to the city house to partake in the ' snowed in ' festivities.

8 foot in less then 24 hours.

The reason I moved away from the City was due to the way things are done. The South part of Buffalo is always the LAST place plowed out. It also has the most per-household people employed. The Ghetto has near bare streets but the part Im at :

( From my friends porch. I spent 12 hours with a shovel and its not letting up at all. )

Just a neat thing I learned from my Niece. UGG haters, jump right in and start hating ;) . My feet stayed warm and dry in all that snow from the pics above! :D

If your ' UGG ' boots start wilting ( wont stand up anymore ), heres something that actually works!

-Place them when wet in front of a dryer. A hair dryer will work. Im using a small electric heater here in these pics.

-Put a pair of empty bottles in them so the shafts stand up straight and tight.

- When they dry, they should have enough firmness to stand on their own again.

post-12379-0-51360900-1416357143_thumb.j

post-12379-0-19208400-1416357163_thumb.j

post-12379-0-22909600-1416357180_thumb.j

post-12379-0-40377800-1416357212_thumb.j

post-12379-0-84459700-1416357226_thumb.j

post-12379-0-64580400-1416357613_thumb.j

post-12379-0-36401600-1416357627_thumb.j

post-12379-0-49413600-1416357642_thumb.j

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Wait, did you say 8 FEET?!?

Closer to 9 foot now. Its still coming down and more is expected. State National Guard is coming with Heavy Equipment ( Loaders/Dumptrucks ) to help out.

Funny thing is, the town I live in has clear roads. The Locals that have equipment took care of the roads till the county could get their stuff on site. The job was already done and the upkeep on it is being done by volunteers with the cost of fuel being paid by the town.

Strange how weather can be so localized. I once visited a friend who lived on a dead end street. It was snowing at his house and not snowing about 500 feet down the road. He said it was pretty normal to have a 10 degree temperature difference between his house and the neighbor's house.

Strange how weather can be so localized. I once visited a friend who lived on a dead end street. It was snowing at his house and not snowing about 500 feet down the road. He said it was pretty normal to have a 10 degree temperature difference between his house and the neighbor's house.

The wonders of lake effect snow. Until Lake Erie and Ontario freeze over western New York always gets hammered by snow.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Next wave is coming. Another 18-24 inches is whats being stated. Should start in a few hours.

I actually made it out through the paths that people made in their travels..

Id like to take a moment to thank our Gov. Andrew ' Im a total ass-hat ' Cuomo for dropping the ball all over this one.

post-12379-0-60458600-1416429669_thumb.j

post-12379-0-36080500-1416429682_thumb.j

post-12379-0-24397100-1416429699_thumb.j

post-12379-0-71724900-1416429716_thumb.j

ilk,

Classic photos of the Lake-Effect snow in the Buffalo area. Reminds me of the 1977 blizzard which was epic in that area. All teh Great Lakes are really active now. My property in far northern Wisconsin lies within one of these snow belts and there is a town called Montreal in Iron County that just got 50.1" of snow between the 10th and 14th of this month which may be a new record for the month for one snow event. You are right about localized. Two years ago I went up t our land in March and a sateliite tracking site said there was 8-12" on the ground in a town just six miles south of our land but over 30" at our land. I drove those last six milea and watched the piles along the roadside getting higher and higher as I went. Truly amazing conditions but typical of certain areas on the lee side of Lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie, and Ontario.

I am a cooperative observer (PLKW3) for the NOAA office in Milwaukee and submit daily observations but winter storms are my absolute favorite thing to track. I was in my glory in 2011 when the Groundhog Day Blizzard blasted Kenosha with 27" of snow powered by winds up to 65 mph. These kinds of weather give northern folks a chance to build character I like to think. Thanks for posting the photos. I know you'll be spending some quality time on the front end loader clearing between outbuildings and the like. HappyinHeels

ilk,

Classic photos of the Lake-Effect snow in the Buffalo area. Reminds me of the 1977 blizzard which was epic in that area. All teh Great Lakes are really active now. My property in far northern Wisconsin lies within one of these snow belts and there is a town called Montreal in Iron County that just got 50.1" of snow between the 10th and 14th of this month which may be a new record for the month for one snow event. You are right about localized. Two years ago I went up t our land in March and a sateliite tracking site said there was 8-12" on the ground in a town just six miles south of our land but over 30" at our land. I drove those last six milea and watched the piles along the roadside getting higher and higher as I went. Truly amazing conditions but typical of certain areas on the lee side of Lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie, and Ontario.

I was younger but remember the Blizzard of 77 quite well. It was TWICE as bad as it is right now though. Its not really that bad except there was really piss-poor planning for the whole thing.

The city of Buffalo has 48 Plows. They only had 3 in the southern part of the city where it was hit the hardest. There were 6 plows in the northern part of the city throwing salt on pavement-dry roads when the storm started.

If the City of Buffalo had a mayor with a clue or a town council that wasnt in the same demograph/party as the mayor, they might have had more views in their planning. Instead, its more failures of the same mindset and why I left the place and moved out to the countryside. To add to it, the Governor ( of the same demograph ) didnt close the mainlines in the area ( Thruway/90 ). By the time he did, people and semi-trucks were already stranded everywhere.

A guy on the next street over died this afternoon. Rescue crews couldnt get to him. In the great planning by the city , they decided to clear the main streets first ( rightfully so ), but in the process, they piled the snow on the ends of the side streets so it could be loaded and taken away at a later date. The EMT's couldnt get down the sidestreet because there was a 10+foot snowbank on the end of the street.

The people in charge of this operation? Appointees of the mayor! GREAT STUFF!

"I am a cooperative observer (PLKW3) for the NOAA office in Milwaukee and submit daily observations but winter storms are my absolute favorite thing to track. I was in my glory in 2011 when the Groundhog Day Blizzard blasted Kenosha with 27" of snow powered by winds up to 65 mph. These kinds of weather give northern folks a chance to build character I like to think. Thanks for posting the photos. I know you'll be spending some quality time on the front end loader clearing between outbuildings and the like. HappyinHeels""

If that your HAMM sign? I havent had my setup running lately. Its still packed from when I moved almost 2 years ago.

As for the loaders, they are 34 miles away. I *wish* I had one here. I have a burried Jeep at my disposal and nothing more.

Heres what it looks like as I took a walk for 2 hours this past evening.

Some neighbors and a walkabout..

Neighbors dog.. Thats a 6 foot fence shes walking behind ;)

post-12379-0-84093500-1416454593_thumb.j

post-12379-0-79936900-1416454611_thumb.j

post-12379-0-90851000-1416454631_thumb.j

post-12379-0-45035900-1416454666_thumb.j

post-12379-0-54229400-1416508474_thumb.j

Feel sorry for all you guys with all that snow, hope we get some here around Christmas, land Rover centre diff locked front and rear diffs locked can go anywhere would love to give it a try. But all we get is a couple of inches and everything grinds to a halt, but I have no problems so far.

life is not a rehearsal

Feel sorry for all you guys with all that snow, hope we get some here around Christmas, land Rover centre diff locked front and rear diffs locked can go anywhere would love to give it a try. But all we get is a couple of inches and everything grinds to a halt, but I have no problems so far.

Your Rover would be impotent against this kind of snow. Outside of Payloader cleared roads, you will be as stuck as everything else.

My brother in law came in from the country. He literally drove a loader 30+ miles to hit the street here.

Its amazing how well "Government" in my State works. They dream big but always fail. 8 deaths so far. They havent cleared out all the cars from the thruways that have been there for 2-3days. Im *hoping* they dont find bodies in those cars.

Its amazing how well "Government" in my State works. They dream big but always fail. 8 deaths so far. They havent cleared out all the cars from the thruways that have been there for 2-3days. Im *hoping* they dont find bodies in those cars.

That is always a concern - We have seen that before.

That is always a concern - We have seen that before.

I spoke too soon :(. They found one person this evening. My Brother in Law brought my 4wheeler in with him on the trailer as there was room for it. I went for a ride and spoke to a bunch of different people from Local Cops to the National Guardsmen that are in the area. They found a person that was stranded on the 90 East.

A sight for sore and cold eyes ( picture attachment below. BIL shows up with the loader :D!!! )

update :

"Erie County chief executive Mark Poloncarz said 13 people had died and warned that further deaths could not be ruled out as rescue workers continue to dig out vehicles trapped in the snow.

The latest fatalities were two elderly people who died during and immediately after being evacuated from a nursing home, and a 50-year-old man found dead in his vehicle."

http://news.yahoo.com/toll-rises-13-killer-ny-state-snowstorm-160157576.html

They are pulling bodies out of vehicles now. Its a side effect of electing people whom cant think through problems or long term. People whom cannot plan. People whom have millions of dollars, a name recognition and a past experience of nothing.

Let me explain this so everyone can understand what Im saying and not believe Im trying to mislead anyone.

This storm started monday night. It was hitting certain parts of the City. The city has 48 trucks to deal with snow. *3* were sent to the ares they knew that would take the brunt of the storm. Other areas had 6 to 8 trucks just out throwing down salt.

By tuesday morning, plow trucks were getting stuck in that bad area while the other areas were lucky to have seen 1 inch of snow. By Tuesday night, the National guard had to be called in with all of their equipment.

It gets even better!

They plowed out the main roads piling 12-15 foot snowbanks on the ends of the side streets. Sure, there was a ban on driving, but how about walking? So people couldnt walk to the stores to get bread, milk, water, the basic necessities they might need.

The Loaders ( heavy equipment operators ) came in and then hit the side streets. They did just like the city guys and piled the snow at the ends of peoples driveways. Some people worked countless hours clearing them only to have them buried back in 3-4 times as bad compared to how the storm left them originally.

To add to this, THOUSANDS of cars have been destroyed. Power lines were ripped off houses due to the INCOMPETENCE some of the equipment operators had. Yes, I say this as I and my Brother in law cleared the street I was on without damaging/harming anything.

To further increase the problems, the Governor lifted part of the driving ban so all these cars are now flying around through heavy equipment, dump trucks and PEDESTRIANS trying to walk around and find food! Many people have been struck by these idiots out in their cars/trucks because they feel entitled or enabled to do so because the Governor lifted part of the ban. What message was that idiot trying to send?!?!

Theres many miles of roads that are still ' untouched '. Since I have an ATV I have been asked to get prescriptions and help run food to the elderly/disabled. Not a problem :) .

post-12379-0-37948400-1416540641_thumb.j

I think there are two problems with the US: the first is that the distances are much bigger than here. For example, we can have two completely separate towns that are only a few miles apart whereas in the US the next town can be 70 miles away, this is a long way when there is 8 foot of snow on the ground. Secondly, you have a lot of Americans who think that a big 4x4 will get them anywhere. This may be true on roads but when (as ILK says) visibility is down to zero great traction isn't going to help you. A vehicle like that gives a certain degree of confidence which can be dangerous.

For example, I know that if I went out in my Toyota Previa in more than 2 inches of slush I will get stuck whereas someone with a landrover may feel emboldened to go out in 4' of snow and then will get stuck because the conditions are too bad even for a car like that.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There is also the knowledge of how to drive in snow and on slippery roads. I have seen some spectacularly inept driving in snow here in southern England by people who clearly have no experience whatsoever in dealing with treacherous roads/conditions.

Some people are a bit arrogant with their driving as well. We joke that if it does not rain for two weeks, everyone forgets how to drive on wet roads. This seems to be true considering the number of accidents the first time it rains in a while.

I have also seen the Dallas area when it iced over for the first time in 75 years. You have 3 generations of drivers who never drove on ice. Watching others would have been funny if we did not have to make it home in those conditions too.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I think there are two problems with the US: the first is that the distances are much bigger than here. For example, we can have two completely separate towns that are only a few miles apart whereas in the US the next town can be 70 miles away, this is a long way when there is 8 foot of snow on the ground. Secondly, you have a lot of Americans who think that a big 4x4 will get them anywhere. This may be true on roads but when (as ILK says) visibility is down to zero great traction isn't going to help you. A vehicle like that gives a certain degree of confidence which can be dangerous.

VERY true. There are MANY Jeep owners whom believe they can go through anything. I used the winch on the ATV today to pull several of them out.

For example, I know that if I went out in my Toyota Previa in more than 2 inches of slush I will get stuck whereas someone with a landrover may feel emboldened to go out in 4' of snow and then will get stuck because the conditions are too bad even for a car like that.

Yep. Subaru owners feel the same way as Jeep owners. It is about attitude but all that money paid for a vehicle does nothing for the skills of the driver.

There is also the knowledge of how to drive in snow and on slippery roads. I have seen some spectacularly inept driving in snow here in southern England by people who clearly have no experience whatsoever in dealing with treacherous roads/conditions.

Exactly! I know of people in Florida whom ride four wheel drive trucks through mud. Its not N.Y. snow. Its not asphalt. Its different for everyone.

Some people are a bit arrogant with their driving as well. We joke that if it does not rain for two weeks, everyone forgets how to drive on wet roads. This seems to be true considering the number of accidents the first time it rains in a while.

I have also seen the Dallas area when it iced over for the first time in 75 years. You have 3 generations of drivers who never drove on ice. Watching others would have been funny if we did not have to make it home in those conditions too.

Yep. It might seem odd to some, but its obvious to those of us whom have lived through this type of thing for 40 years.

Whats annoying the hell out of me right now is I played ' grocery fetcher ' today for MANY young people. By ' young ' I mean 20-30 year olds.

They were out of food. Most of them grew up in this area! They dont know how to deal with this weather?!?! Seriously?

No Blankets, no batteries, no candles, no FOOD, no extra fuel for a snowblower, no SHOVELS..

One had the audacity to tell me ' I dont need that stuff! The city is here to help us out! '. That guy still hasnt even cleared a good path to the roads so he can get out of his home if something bad happens. I hope his having to walk to go get supplies cooled him off a bit. I dont mind helping those in need, but an arrogant little twat like that.. hes on his own. " good luck man! ".

The good news is, it rained today. It helped melt the snow at a very rapid pace.

The bad news is.. it rained today. Flooding is expected now as most of the systems sewer facility is overflowing, the water has no place to go as Buffalo is right on the water table ( Lake Erie ) balance.

The Driving Ban is still in effect and all the idiots whom dug their cars out are out on the streets, getting in the way of equipment everywhere.

An example is needed. If I were a cop, Id stop the first person driving, have them exit their vehicle and have those in line behind watch as I instructed a loader of dumptruck to run it over. Put it on the local news " This is why your not supposed to be out driving, dumbasses! ".

I think the roads would stay clear of traffic after that.

The Good Doctor is nearly right, as ILK points out.  It's not just the vehicle, it's the driver's skill too.  I must say, he showed great restraint not ROTFLHAO (did I get that right?) at the idea of two inches of snow, all things considered.  The reason we can grind to a halt with 2" of snow is that drivers today don't know how to drive in snow.  It's actually not that difficult with just a little common sense.  Sometimes that common sense is knowing your own limits and your own importance.  If you're not able to drive in snow stay home and accept that the world won't end just because you're not at work.  I have no sympathy ever for the idiots who wait for a weather warning then drive to the nearest motorway to sit in their cars for eleven hours, then moan that nothing was done.  Weather happens.  Behave and dress appropriately and it's not impossible.

I like to think I'm quite skillful in ice and snow as I have had formal skid-pan training and we were also encouraged to do 360s, 540s and 720s under strict control and face exactly the right direction at the end of the spin so that we learned to control spins properly. My favourite trick wa to turn a corner by doing a 270!

It is important to note that we were doing all this in RAF 4 tonne trucks!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The worst has only begun. The flooding is now starting to happen. It hit 50ish today. Tomorrow its supposed to hit 60. The Watertable for the city area is already over saturated to the point where the sewres are starting to back up out into the streets.

The streets are almost down to the pavement everywhere and the thaw is soooo rapid.. Pics from today whilst I was out on the ATV ( below ).

Now that Contractors and folks from the private sector have come and cleaned out most of the city, the National Guard finally came to play! CHEERS! They were at all the Burger Kings, Tim Hortons and McD's in the area! Boom for the economy!

Its too damn bad the snow all melted down before they could really unload their equipment!

Maybe if the Great Andy Cuomo would have started their deployment on monday when the incompetent mayor of this area knew his ship was sunk, there might have been some results.

Heres a real kicker!

I work with Heavy equipment. I fix it, drive it, use it.. Theres laws on the books stating vehicles need to be 50 foot ( or farther ) away from equipment while its in operation ENDLESS the area is secured from traffic.

Theres THOUSANDS of pieces of heavy equipment running on the streets.. dumptrucks, loaders, skid steers.. What does the great mayor and Gov. do? Why.. they lift the driving ban! WONDERFUL!

All those people were so desperate to get out, they rushed to their cars and rushed into heavy equipment areas..

I watched some tiny chevy ' thing ' ( might be an aveo? ) get launched into a snowbank! Backed right out into the street in front of a loader! Didnt have anyone watching for them even though there were high snowbanks the driver couldnt see over..

Stupidity of people.. it knows no bounds!

post-12379-0-52650800-1416803584_thumb.j

I for one, am one who has no tolerance for stupidity or stupid people.

I think we should just get rid of all the laws that protect stupid people from themselves and let natural selection take over. Sooner or later they will be removed from the gene pool by their own stupidity.

I may sound mean. I can be, but I have to laugh at someones misfortune which comes from an act of their own stupidity.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

When I saw that car get struck.. I had a choice few words for the driver. I asked them if they were ' stupid ' for driving a tiny little car that weighs less then 2 tons around equipment that hauls 20-25 tons per load.

The driver was wearing shorts! Didnt even have on a pair of boots! Had a cool University sweater though. Didnt have a shovel in that car, no bag of salt, no extra clothes.. No preparations at all made by him in such a treacherous scene..

I love your idea of bringing back natural selection. Count me in as a vote of confidence for it. If such were to happen, New York as a state would be a lot better off.

I believe one of the biggest failures is how they let people drive these days. 250,000 deaths or severe injuries every year from drunk driving. Too many accidents caused by outright stupidity.

What should have been done was when they caught the first person on the road while the driving ban was still in effect, they should have taken a Loader and just flattened the vehicle. Film it and put it on the news. " This is what will happen if your caught driving, no excuses! ".

I think we should just get rid of all the laws that protect stupid people from themselves and let natural selection take over. Sooner or later they will be removed from the gene pool by their own stupidity.

The main problem is collateral damage. When stupid people do stupid things, often times non-stupid bystanders get hurt.

The main problem is collateral damage. When stupid people do stupid things, often times non-stupid bystanders get hurt.

This already happens. Every day. There are so many idiots out there and now, in present times, they are ' enabled ' and told what they do is ' good '.

Things that happen daily : Drunk drivers. People in cars yapping away on their phones and not paying attention. People in Cars hitting others then leaving the scene. Thats just with Cars alone!

Mr Ilk I it was only wishful thinking on my part to dream my Landy could handle that sort of snow, but I am ok in the good old uk.

Its all good ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest London and where I am now on the coast, I've never seen more than a few inches, six is pretty much it. Out into the country in the south it varies some get the same others 2 feet or more. Away from the southeast anything can happen. North gets alot.

I've ridden two wheels as it starts laying, waiting until the roads clear to continue riding.

Driven 3 wheelers, Reliant Regal same as Del Trotter as in "Fools and Horses" following two tracks and fitting the front centre wheel on the edge of one of them. Light trucks empty and loaded, recovery hooks, My Transit was crap in snow without weight. Small and large cars, front and rear drive. MPVs with 4 wheel drive (previa import) and all terrain Mirsubushi Delica. Non are of use on packed frozen snow.

Many of our side roads never get cleared, rutted frozen slush is like chocks can be impossible to get over.

I don't remember seeing more than a few days of snow, longest time, I may have been about 5 that would be 1960.

The main factor is that the UK seizes up due to inexperiance both driving and on road support, abandoned cars blocking roads restricting the ploughs and blowers to get through and clear the roads.

I think Doc could expand moreso with greater experiance.

Al

I don't remember seeing more than a few days of snow, longest time, I may have been about 5 that would be 1960.

Al

That being the case you'd remember 1963.  13 weeks or so I'm told.  I think you're a whippersnapper masquerading as an oldster. ;)

Yes Megan I remember 1963 very well, the snow was up to our upstairs windows in the back garden. Us kids opened the back door and made a tunnel all the way to the bottom of our garden. We were living in Stevenage at the time.

life is not a rehearsal