Up Snowdon In Heels

meganiwish

Did anyone see the story in the Daily Mail (my chauffeur subscribes to it) about the woman who went up Snowdon in the snow wearing heels? I couldn't find a link (perhaps someone else will be more successful), but I was most impressed.

Almost to the top on the train walked the last 400yards? Walked the bottom half down. Not in heels but it would be a one heck of a challenge and not for the unskilled. Al

Did anyone see the story in the Daily Mail (my chauffeur subscribes to it) about the woman who went up Snowdon in the snow wearing heels? I couldn't find a link (perhaps someone else will be more successful), but I was most impressed.

Intreagued I searched but couldn't find a link either. It sounds like a sure way to trash a pair of heels (and a pair of feet for that matter). The little train sounds a far more sensible and enjoyable option.

If you like it, wear it.

I do recall reading about this in the Mail and I am sure it was on the web page too. It has now gone completely from the Mail site and there is scant reference elsewhere. But I did find this: http://www.rorydmiller.info/?p=10427 The heels are certainly not four-inch (usual journalistic licence); they are probably not higher than 3". But an ankle boot with a cuban heel looks to me like reasonably sensible footwear in snow, giving some grip; isn't that why cowboy boots have heels?

It's the highest mountain in Wales, but I suspect as a Canadian you'd not be that impressed.

Megan, you might need to explain Wales as well :rocker:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snowdon

In the UK there are many stories about daft folk going up mountains with grossly inadequate footwear or clothing. The montain rescue people save their lives despite their stupidity. I wonder if this sort of thing happens in the alps, rockies, or anywhere else where they have rather higher peaks.

In the UK there are many stories about daft folk going up mountains with grossly inadequate footwear or clothing. The montain rescue people save their lives despite their stupidity. I wonder if this sort of thing happens in the alps, rockies, or anywhere else where they have rather higher peaks.

In Vietnam (and also Korea, as I understand it), many women wear wildly "inappropriate" footwear to places that sound much like Snowdon. Some are more successful than others.

Every Lunar New Year (commonly known in the West as Chinese New Year), which in Vietnam we call Tết Nguyên Đán, or just simply Tết, our family visits a mountain temple about 90 minutes' drive outside of Hanoi called Đèn Thượng. It's quite a hike up to the temple for someone who is not used to it, and you see all sorts of people from all different walks of life who make this pilgrimage each year.

I have seen women make the trek barefoot, and I have seen 4+" heels. I have seen people wearing those awful rubber sandals that most people use as house slippers, and of course athletic shoes/trainers. I have seen barefoot women carrying 4" heels in their hands. I will try to get some video/photos this year, if anyone is interested.

In response to Megan's question about whether people inadequately prepared attempt mountains, etc. - in the US, at least - yep, all the time. A few years ago, our sons were in Boy Scouts, and I went along on a winter (snow, lots) campout in the northwest Rockies. The scoutmaster, of all people, had only one pair of shoes - "sneakers". Regards, Logjam