Vintage Mens Platforms

barney15c

Was going through some old photos and come across a picture of my brother in laws first wedding photo from about 1973/4. Those are some serious platform sole shoes!!!

yes they are!!!

it is strange how difficult would be nowadays in the real world, but back then it seemed something normal..

I think the heels would be between 3 and 4 inches. My Brother in law is not a particulary tall man, about 5ft 7 and his brother who was in this picture which i cropped out is 6ft 2 and there was still a bit of a height difference even taking his shoes into account, so it would be around that range. Will check some other pics for a clearer view But might take some searching.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

They look great at the front, especially with the cross-over detailing. Even if the mens department was full of styles like that again (which would be great) it does look like the heels are quite chunky so I'd probably still be heading over to the women's department for a slightly more refined version. In any case, if that's what the 70's were like then we're long overdue for a revival.

If you like it, wear it.

Yeah, as a kid in the 70s I remember seeing shoes like that! Awesome! Even in the conservative little burg I grew up in, they were relatively common. Funny to think how the really cool dudes wore them. But then along came Reagan, and plats faded within a couple of seasons.

Wow! Those are cool! Oh how I wish back in the 70s I was an adult age back then I would have been in heaven, all you guys who were 18 and over back then, I so envy you! Id love to see old pics of guys on this board showing their 70s photos of their plats. I enjoy seeing old 70s movies, and also 70s shows like Soul Train, and American Bandstand to see all that eye candy!

• 3 months later...

70s plats were the coolest. My parents were squares, never wore them. I was born in 72 and now have a whole closet full of them. Pretty soon ill have a whole room full of them. I respect someone 100 percent who loves this amazing period of fashion. Keeping it real superfly!

Wow Bootcat, sounds like your collection is vast, may I ask whats your tallest heel in a mens platform? love to see some pics of you in them, can you send it to my email byvess1966@aol.com?

I guess I'm the lone dissenting vote here as those shoes don't interest me in the slightest. I grew up in the 70's, and I disliked platforms then as they looked extremely cloddish to me. Of course, my worldview was rather biased at the time since I had just discovered the joys of women's shoes and was already hooked on the plain, uncomplicated, unplatformed pump. This is just my opinion, but I can live without a revival of 70's platform shoes. Today's image/macho conscious men wouldn't be caught dead wearing them anyway.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff b, I know some guys like myself find spike heels too feminine, Guys to me in women's pump spike heels look rather funny looking to me( no offense to all you guys who wear them, to each his own). I know if I wore those Id probably be trying to fight my way home, lol. As for the macho concious guy , youre right they wouldnt wear women's pumps or 70s platforms for everyday, still to me 70s platforms were, and I still think are the coolest, just difference of opinion I guess.

I guess I'm the lone dissenting vote here as those shoes don't interest me in the slightest. I grew up in the 70's, and I disliked platforms then as they looked extremely cloddish to me. Of course, my worldview was rather biased at the time since I had just discovered the joys of women's shoes and was already hooked on the plain, uncomplicated, unplatformed pump. This is just my opinion, but I can live without a revival of 70's platform shoes. Today's image/macho conscious men wouldn't be caught dead wearing them anyway.

Yep - I remember the 70's. I had a couple pairs of those, but the style never really took off where I was growing up. It also didn't work out for me as I wasn't into disco, and on;y had a mild interest in what they now call 'hair metal' bands.

A 70's revival shoe and attire will be very limited if it does kick in. I don't see most guys ever wearing those styles unless they are trying to dress in the 'Disco era' appearance for some special occasion.

No, Jeff, you are not alone! I disliked those men's platform styles in the 1970s and never wore them then, nor would I now. Heavy, ugly, often garish - and usually teamed with wide trousers (not just flared bottoms) and other clothing that I found impossible to relate to. I am not a crossdresser but I think I would be more comfortable dressing as a 'real' woman rather than adopting the effeminate male look that (to me) characterised and marred the 1970s.