make an impact

daphun

Hi, will High heels ever be a non gender type of footwear? theres so many guys who loves to wear them, what about gender equality? maybe some people should go big demanding them to be non gendered. What are your thoughts?

How ironic that as I read and type this reply, there's an ad that states, and I quote, "Cross Dresser Heels/Boots

Large selection of size 5-16 sexy boots and heels."

Personally, I don't care if shoes (or anything for that matter) are labeled gender specific... It's politcial correctness crap and I'm over it..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Frankly I don't concern myself with gender equality, and I don't care whether or not it ever becomes commonplace to see men in heels. All I care about is how I feel when wearing them. I've been street-heeling for over a year now, and I feel absolutely fantastic no longer being envious of women.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

How ironic that as I read and type this reply, there's an ad that states, and I quote, "Cross Dresser Heels/Boots

Large selection of size 5-16 sexy boots and heels."

Personally, I don't care if shoes (or anything for that matter) are labeled gender specific... It's politcial correctness crap and I'm over it..

You would hope that these bloody advertisers who write their own google ad's would realise by now the adverts work far better if you make then gender neutral. Exclude nobody, sell to everybody. Morons :smile:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I'd think that shoe companies would drool if high heeled shoes were to be rebranded into unisex items. Even if 1 percent of the male population would start wearing heels, that means an extra 1+ million customers in the US alone! (250+ million Americans, let's say that 50 percent are men). As we all know, those of us who like wearing heels, would probably buy more than 1 pair a year. Imagine how much money can be made by these companies.

Good point, Max.. Look at the first crocs for example (yuck, I know).. They were/are non-gender specific and they sold, and continue to sell tons of them bloody awful things to women and men... Makes me wish I'd have bought stock... If I had the capital to potentially loose, and the time, I'd start a company making heels in styles geared toward, but not specifically intended for, MEN!...(both M & F sizes on the shoe and on the box) I have ideas rolling around in my head that I think would sell to a certain segment of the male population, as well as the female population..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

well, it just goes to show how much change is really needed in this area, @ least for me I'd say that in the back of their (the shoes industry) minds they tend to think that "oh my god, what an absurd idea!!" if ever this would really ever come up, like its the most illogical idea in the known universe that men would be seriously want to wear heels, as if to say how any guy could be even CONSIDER this exept in that idiotic frame of mind of "crossdressing" or as some kind of stupid gag/joke (like some do on youtube):smile: it seems to me that theres just no end to that kind of response to the idea of men in heels.

This is just my thought on the whole thing. Shoe makers will proabally never make or market heels to men specifically. Mainly cause most men would never think about speending the money on a pair of shoes. Most men are about function and not looks. Now grated there are a few guys that are into looks and such, but for the most part they are not. Take me for example I love wearing heels and skirts, but I would never even think about going out and spend $100 on heels. Now my work boot's that I wear that I am in every three days for 24hrs in a day sure I would spend that kind of money on them. Let's face it if they where to make heels for men they would be (I would gather) quite expensive since it would be considered a nitch market. Just like skirt's for men if you find the few that are actually made for men they are not cheap by any mean's. So most men that I know of would not spend the money on the stuff. Just my thoughts!

I fully agree with many comments here. I see many ads on ebay titled up the same way "TS, TV, crossdresser etc. I feel aggrieved on 2 factors 1) How do our larger footed ladies feel, incensed I'm sure. 2) I do not feel I'm one of the above, I don't try to create a fem figure or mode. I pass these and totally ignore even if the shoes may be "my" style, I'm sure the girls do as well, at least I hope so. All I can think of (cos the vendor always seems to be male?) is that they have tried them themselves or are, and seem to want an easy excuse as to why they have them. For the trade shops it's just business as normal. Don't they realise they loose custom? Al

least for me I'd say that in the back of their (the shoes industry) minds they tend to think that "oh my god, what an absurd idea!!"

I'm sure they said the same thing in the 1700's when women wanted to wear heels.

I'm sure they said the same thing in the 1950's when women wanted to wear pants.

I'm sure they said the same thing in the 1980's when women wanted to wear blazers.

I'm sure they said the same thing in the 1990's when men wanted tatoos-piercings etc...

Anything might sound absurd, until someone goes and does it. After that, it might not seem that absurd after all. The same goes to most technologies developed as well. I'm sure the thought of replacing the horse with a technological contraption called the automobile sounded absurd once. Humans on the moon? You would've been branded the village idiot before the 1900's. Actually some people still don't believe humans actually walked on the moon lol.

With regard to opening a chain of shoestores with unisex shoes with heels, the thought has obviously occured to me as well. If only I had the capital...

This topic has been churned and discussed to the nth degree here. For the sake of those new to the forum however, I'd like to add that heels for men are already being both manufactured and marketed to men by the High Fashion community.

Rad Hourani is consistently, season after season, making unisex heels. They are the exact same for men and women.

Rick Owens is consistently, season after season, making heels for men -- wedged, chunky, and semi-stiletto.

The ubiquitous YSL Jonny boot has been around for years and even co-existed in time with the 6.5 Dior Homme heel.

Despite those two Pristine and Powerful Parisian High Fashion houses marketing heels for men simultaneously (you don't get higher on the food chain than Dior and YSL), the common Trickle Down principle of fashion still didn't positively sway the decision makers at mainstream commercial fashion companies (Zara, J. Crew, H&M). It's too much of a financial gamble.

Despite what others believe here, my opinion is that it's going to take more than manufacturering and marketing to inspire men to wear heels. Just look at the consumer backlash H&M recently underwent when they unveiled just ONE skirt for men. Despite their deep pockets, massive global marketing power, and fashion forward common consumer niche, not even a Global Giant like H&M could help promote the skirts for men to the next level of broad use by men. What makes us think it would be any different if Payless or Famous Footwear tried it with heels?

On a personal level, there are so many forces outside of my control, I find it fruitless to even think anymore about evangelizing the issue on any front: from the fashion designers, to commercial shoe companies, to high fashion shoe companies, to the mainstream fashion press. Granted, raising awareness of the issue can't hurt, but the most effective way of raising awareness is literally on a case-by-case basis.

Just be yourself, wear your heels, and be a decent person. :smile:

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 10 months later...

In 2011, Aldo is collaborating with Rad Hourani on a mini collection of unisex shoes and sandals that are sleek, structured, and very, very matter-of-fact; an aesthetic that epitomizes the modern value of freedom, passion, and elegance. Hourani’s vision sees a world with no gender, no rules, and no seasons. The shoes are available for pre-order at Rad Hourani online, set for delivery by March 30th.

In 2011, Aldo is collaborating with Rad Hourani on a mini collection of unisex shoes and sandals that are sleek, structured, and very, very matter-of-fact; an aesthetic that epitomizes the modern value of freedom, passion, and elegance.

Hourani’s vision sees a world with no gender, no rules, and no seasons.

The shoes are available for pre-order at Rad Hourani online, set for delivery by March 30th.

http://www.radhourani.com/collections/rxrh2

While I commend any designer/brand who tries to create unisex clothing, I'm not fond of this particular collection. Simply not my style.

However, if heels were ever to become a more unisex footwear style, then men's heels would most likely be of the block heel and square-round toe type.

Only the more daring men would venture feminine style territory. Fine by me, the more the general public sees men in heels, the less shock they'll get by seeing a man in feminine heels.

You would hope that these bloody advertisers who write their own google ad's would realise by now the adverts work far better if you make then gender neutral. Exclude nobody, sell to everybody. Morons :silly:

I see the same kind of thing with the new ecig ads all over American TV these days.. They show a bunch of obviously non-smokers puffing on ecigs.. It looks ridiculous and demonstrates that in general advertisers are.. well.. morons.. LOL

If I were in the woman's shoe/boot business one thing I'd make very clear on my website would be discrete packaging. Very few do this and I'm certain it hurts sales as not all guys can be home when the package arrives and many don't want anyone else in the household to know what they've bought..

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Back in the late 70s, early 80s, there was a effort by both shoe makers and retailers to make more styles unisex. I remember Fava Shoe Stores carrying buffalo platform sandals and clogs in the men's section. Unfortunately, I never bought the sandals, but I did buy the clogs. At the time, the sales said that was only the second purchase for those shoes in the entire store (he had bought the other pair). So if we want to see unisex shoes with higher heels and wedges in larger sizes, we have to support the designers with our wallets when those styles become available.

post-28291-133522934752_thumb.jpg

post-28291-133522934753_thumb.png

I fully agree with many comments here.

I see many ads on ebay titled up the same way "TS, TV, crossdresser etc.

Well it is not so bad after all. 10 years ago, stores didn't admit they were actually selling heeled shoes to men. Sites like Bananashoes, Pleaser and a few high quality high price italian heels, had some shoes that could fit mens feet, but they came in very poor styles, or totally unwearable outdoor ! Crossdressers also will not spend all their money for shoes, and shoe stores tend to understand this market.

To Scrappy's post, I will add that men are also trying to find a difference in their shoes, not only function, especially sales men that need to be well noticed.

Also it is not so small a market if you add crossdressers and women if the shoes are unisex. But the fact that men wear the shoes will make women reluctant to buy for themselves ?