Pedicure Adventure

Spikes

Yesterday I felt extremely adventurous and decided to go for a pedicure which I have done in the past, but this time I decided to wear by black 3.5 inch blade ankle boots into the nail salon. As I was walking from my car to the salon, I passed a very cute Asian girl getting out of her car. She didn't notice my heels, but I certainly noticed the 4 inch glittery mules she was wearing. I smiled and followed her into the nail salon. Well, as luck would have it, she was one of the salon technicians and was just coming to work. I asked if I could get a pedicure, so she seated me, dropped her purse and started filling the spa basin with water. There were three other technicians in the salon and none of them had customers. I was the only one there. I took off my boots and made placed them next to the chair in a conspicuous manner. All of the girls were speaking Vietnamese, so I don't know if they were talking about my shoes or not, but they were certainly animated in their discussion. When I had the opportunity, I told my girl that I really loved her high heels. She giggled. Then I told her that I bet she wore a size 5 and she was amazed that I'd guessed her shoe size correctly. I told her I was pretty good at that. She finished the pedicure and I slipped my high heeled boots back on. One of the other technicians said she liked my boots, so I walked to the back of the shop to show them to her. She giggled and said something in Vietnamese to the others. I paid them $20 for the pedicure and walked out of the store. It was well worth the $20 to receive all of that attention from four very pretty ladies.....and a great pedicure to boot. Maybe next time I will ask them to paint my toenails.

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

You were adventurous wearing your 3.5 inch blade ankle boots to the nail salon. But It was fun isnt-it ? I had a similar aventure last summer at the nail salon to get a French pedicure. (I wasn't wearing heels. I was wearing my galdiator's sandals) After my pedicure was done, the other girls went to see the results. They were also speaking Vietnamese so I did not know what they were saying. My girl translated it to me saying they all like my French pedicure and it was they first time they saw a man getting one done. I agree with you when you say It is worth the money to receive such attention. (And the girls were also very pretty) I noticed that many nail salon are owned by Vietnamese. They are indeed very good at it.

Congratulations on your outing. Sounds like you had a good time and got a lot of attention because of yout high heel boots. It sounds like the entire experience was nothing but positive. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Aren't pedicures fantastic! I too have worn heels to get a pedicure, though as Canadianbeaver17 points out you should wear something open toe to the pedicure and I usually wear flip-flops unless it is just so cold it would be unbearable. Starting last winter, I have been getting color and my toes have been polished for nearly a year. It just looks so finished and I think it isn't that uncommon for guys to get color actually. I started going to a new nail salon recently. I like to have a regular appointment from the same person. Last week, my nail tech recognized my jeans as women's jeans and we had a great conversation about shopping, styles, etc. A good stylist is worth her weight in gold!

Style is built from the ground up!

Greetings HappyFeat and Canadianbeaver :-)

You are worried about smudging your pedicure ?

May I suggest you to get a "bio-gel" pedicure instead ?

This type of pedicure hardens under ultra-violet light.

It will be dry, very hard and more durable than a regular pedicure.

(And it looks much better too !)

It won't be damaged by your closed shoes or boots, I guarantee it !

(This is the type of pedicure I get for a while now)

It is more expensive, but the extra money is well worthed

(NOTE: You cannot remove it yourself since it requires pure acetone...)

Greetings HappyFeat and Canadianbeaver :-)

I guarantee it !

How can you do that? And, should it not live up to your expectations, what are you going to do about it?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 weeks later...

Pedicures are FUN.. Just last week I had my 3rd salon pedicure experience. The first two were just me and my wife with the last pedi in the spring. Since then, we just had not found time to go together. Last week my wife asked if I wanted to go and get pedicures together. Of course, I said yes. Then she told me that one of her girlfriends was going to go as well, and said that I did not have to go if I did not want to. That did not bother me - I know her friend quite well - and we all went to the salon. My wife and I both wore thongs, my wife a cute pair of wedgie heels, and I wore a pair of 2 1/2 inch wedge black t-strap thongs with a backstrap - I did not want to mess up my pedi when finished. Once in the salon, we all had pedicures together, we laughed and talked, it was a fun experience. The gals got colored nails, I stayed with a clearcoat. When done, we all slipped on our sandals, then went for lunch at a nearby cafe. As we left the restaurant, the friend said that we all now had nice looking feet. We all laughed. It was a fun experience. Being out in hh sandals is not that big of a deal, usually folks don't notice, and if they do, usually they are "cool" about it. For those of you that are hesitant about going "public," give it a try, is is not as hard as you might imagine. And yes I do understand your hesitation, I was a nervous wreck when I started heeling in public, more than 10 years ago!!! See ya, SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Greetings SF :-) What a nice experience to get a pedi with your wife and her friend. That must be very cool indeed ! You are lucky to to live in California to wear sandals at this time of year. Here, they forecast our first snow storm this wednesday (approx 8 inches) Will be the first time I wear my winter HH boots...

well, even though I have gladiator sandals (black & flat to be just like the Romans you see) I'd say that right now its very soon going to be raining & quite cold (upper 40s lower 50s they said) I live in southern Calif, so I dont really think its going to be:unsure: sandal weather outside (flat or heeled)

Daniel.... Yes it was alot of fun. But that was a few weeks ago, at the end of our "indian summer" here in central California. The weather has gotten cooler, I am afraid that sandal weather is gone for a while (but I still have a nice pedicure). Oh, something I forgot to mention in my original post - if you are wearing sandals, you feet should look nice !!! Take care... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I just returned from my latest pedicure which was amazing as always. I wore flip-flops, which I always do to my appointments, even though the temperature is in the low 30s and threatening snow. Today, my color of choice was a silver from OPI (Birthday Girl), which I truly love. However right after I arrived, the manager asked me to look at an article in a nail magazine and asked if I would want to try a new line of nail polish that is being marketed to men. They had some interesting colors such as silver, gray, several blues and even a green. I said that if they ordered a shade or two, I would come in for a polish change and give it a try. During our conversation, I learned that about 30 men are regulars at the salon and I am still the only guy who gets color.

Hey Spikes! Thanks for sharing your adventure in pedicure. It is so much fun. I found that a full European Pedicure was so good for relaxing the tenseness in my feet from work stress I was sold on pedicures. In fact I get almost one a month-confirmed regular on these. Daniel, I too have had Bio-Gel French mani and pedi's which I really like, it still takes maintenance but well worth it. I total agree that is feels like a finishing touch and very clean by having those sessions done on a regular basis. I do not why it is not more accepted- and so worth while. I have a french Pedicure next week just in time for Hawaii at Christmas, looking forward to both of those! Have fun for the Christmas Holiday season and go get a Pedicure! Mtnsofheels

Daniel, I too have had Bio-Gel French mani and pedi's which

I really like, it still takes maintenance but well worth it.

Greetings mtnsofheels :-)

I'm glad to see you liked your bio-gel French manicure.

My opinion it that it looks more shinny and cleaner than regular French manicure.

Good for you to go to Hawaii: You will wear nice sandals to show your new pedi :cry1:.

Can't do that here in 12 inch of snow...

Got mine today - every 2 weeks unless I am out of town. Today was a bright red from Maybelline. One other man at the salon today, but doubt if he got any color. The salon has a huge assortment of OPI available, but I take my own and let my girl pick the one she likes. She is a friend for many years. She always varies the color from session to session. Was greeted and said goodbye to a couple of the other girls there.

Wish the nail place I went to would get some of the BB Couture men's polish you're talking about! Have always wanted to try a color, but have always chickened out and gotten clear. What area of the US are you in HappyFeat?

C_heels, I live in Pittsburgh, which I have found to be on the lower end of fashion sense and acceptance of things out of the ordinary. Finding a salon that is not only accepting of guys wearing color is just a matter of trial and error. I just looked until I found the right place.

Last week, my nail salon called me and told me that they got in four different colors of men's nail polish, that they ordered with me in mind. They asked me to come in and check it out and see if I liked it. Though it isn't the BB Couture, they did order a silver, gold, dark green, and deep blue and even set it aside in a clearly marked "men's" section. I scheduled an appointment for a polish change for next week and will likely do the silver or the gold.

My thought is that now that they have a small nail color section for men, it increases the likelihood of more guys trying it - guys will see it or have it offered to them and some will give it a shot. Not that I think there is a huge market, but I have often wondered how many guys would do something a little different if they just knew the option was out there. I think this is a big parallel between nail color and heels...if a guy sees it somebody may try it.

As for "chickening out" and always getting clear polish, everything happens in its own time. I did clear polish for many years before going with color and it looks quite nice. I did get French tips a few times, which is a nice look as well. Who knows, you may try color and not like it. For me, I like to wear open toe heels a lot and it just adds that nice finishing touch. However, just do what you are comfortable with and enjoy. Heeling has opened so many fashion doors for me and I taught me one thing - expressing yourself through what you wear is fun - plain and simple.

Finding a Salon is a trial and error process. I finally found one 18 months ago and have been going there every 3 or 4 weeks since. About 90% percent of the time I have designs drawn on my toes. Doing so makes them a little more manly and a bit more accepted in a very conservative state.

Finding a Salon is a trial and error process...

Just curious - did you call up salons, asking if they had a problem servicing men, or did you go into ones and ask in person? For ones that didn't do it, were they polite about it, or did some give you an attitude like it was a strange think to ask for?

It sounds like a pleasure to have pedicure. I simply have to try it some time. :cry1: Last summer I did however apply red nailpolish on my toenails, but having it done with pedicure done by a professional sounds so much better.

Best regards, Stefan

I have always gone in and asked for a appointment. Never been turned down but have definitely been given the cold shoulder. No one has ever said anything rude but I have noticed that the salons with an older age of workers are the ones who didn't like guys in there. Something else to consider is that Idaho is one of the more conservative states here in America.

Have never found a salon that wouldn't do my nails, but have never found one that seemed open to using colored polish. A couple didn't even offer clear. The nail tech I go to now always offers clear polish, and gives the best massage of any I've been to. One day I will ask her about trying a color. I definitely really enjoy pedicures though, even with only clear polish.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to offer an update about the nail polish that my salon ordered for me. Today, I went for my first pedicure since the colors they had ordered came in. The brand is China Glaze and they ordered four colors, all matallics: silver (Millennium), gold (2030), blue (Up All Night), and green (Gussied Up). I chose the green, which is a bit out of character for me. Of course, I will likely try each one, simply because they did order them with me in mind. At one point another patron came in and while choosing her color, one of the other stylists joked that she could pick any except those four, since they were mine. Of course I said I would share. Also, I took the lead from many of you here and wore heels to the appointment. It was snowing pretty heavily and flip-flops were out of the question, so I wore a pair of block heeled loafers. We did discuss my shoes and talked about shoes and boots for quite a while, as well as mixing in other shopping stories. Other employees, customers, etc. were all very nice and treated me like any other person in a salon. I even sat for 45 minutes after my appointment while I dried and chatted with everybody. All of this shows me that the important part of getting great service and finding people who are not only accepting but even encouraging is developing relationships. As mentioned above it is a hit and miss proposition, but it is worth it once you find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking from experience, pedicures are sooooo relaxing and refreshing. I've been to the salon on occasion with my better half and have been treated rather well, with little to no embarrassment. The vibrating lounge chairs, the foot baths, the lotions all feel so wonderful, especially if you've been out and about all day. As for color on the toes, I would typically opt out or get clear as my toenails are in pretty good condition and look good trimmed and buffed. I highly encourage everyone to get one at least once and see what you think. As for manicures, well that's a horse of a different color. :blinkbigeyes: jamie

Getting a pedicure is not a big deal. I suggest that everyone google "men wearing nail polish" and you will see that many Hollywood Stars, Athletes, Race Car Drivers, etc are wearing nail polish on their toes. It is not a big deal and it certainly is not a big deal to ask for nail polish while getting a pedicure in a nail salon. Nail polish is part of the pedicure service and there is no reason that the nail tech should refuse. Nail Salons are in business to make money and your money is just as good as anyone else's money. I always wear red polish on my toes and my toes are on display whenever I am not at work in open toe women's sandals to varing heel heights from flats to 3 inch heels. It's just a part of who I am. One of the guys on a "men wearing nail polish" blog wrote that there is no reason that he shouldn't openly wear nail polish because after all women wear EVERY ARTICLE of men fashion openly including neck ties, men's shoes, and even tattoos. Therefore why should men be restricted in their forms of expression? Think about it and it will make sense. There is nothing that is keeping you from wearing nail polish. Women wear whatever they want because the just do it! Most men don't have the balls to openly wear heels or nail polish because they have very fraile egos. Women have more of a "I'm wearing it so you just deal with it" attitude. You guys are really making too much of a big deal about the nail polish thing and most of the issue is in your own head. This is also true with wearing high heels. The majority of the fear is demons concocted in your own mind.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Hi, Today I wen't to a salon for the second time for a pedicure. It felt very nice to pamper your feet. This time I decided to get some nailpolish on my toe nails. The lady doing the pedicure did not react in any way. It was like it was the most natuaral request. I could however hear som of the staff wisper about something not so far away from where I was treated. But that was probably something else they did not wan't me to hear. :blinkbigeyes: And by the way I choose a dark blue colour as you can see in the attached photo.

post-18726-133522903574_thumb.jpg

Best regards, Stefan