What we are thinking about wearing out and about?????

scrappycoco

The last time I went to see my counslar she put a challange out to me to come in wearing a skirt and heel's! I know there are guy's out there that wont do that. Here is what I would like to see? The next time you are thinking about going out I would like to see some picture's posted here to show everyone what you are thinking about wearing and give everyone a chance to offer up some advise! So I'll start off! I have been thinking about wearing a skirt and heels out for awhile. I also wanted to do some more color than what I have been doing! So here is what I came up with. A red and black shirt that is like a silk material with a skull on it, my dark blue izod jean skirt, black hose, and my black mj's! Here are a few pic's I took tell me you you guy's think! I think it looks good just want other's oppinion's?

post-18403-133522895447_thumb.jpg

post-18403-133522895467_thumb.jpg

post-18403-133522895489_thumb.jpg

i guess my only issue is the mixing of styles. the shirt is masculine casual the skirt is feminine casual the hose & heels are feminine non-casual therefore (to me): the shirt and skirt combine ok the skirt, hose and heels combine ok the shirt, skirt, hose and heels don't work i hope that helps. that's my opinion... then again, opinions are like @$$h0le$. we all have one, and yours stinks. (it's a joke. b4 anybody starts getting offended.)

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

While the skirt and the shoes are find, I don't like the shirt. Why not pick something that blends better with everything else. Perhaps JeffB or HappyFeat might be able to give you some pointers. A vest, sweater or sports coat might be appropriate. Exactly what is the look that you are going for? (Bye the way, you mentioned "your counselor." If you are being counseled on your desire to wear heels, I would be interested in learning what her attitude toward cross dressing is, if you would be willing to share it.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have a different @$$h0le...er, opinion. :chuckle: I think the juxtaposition of very masculine and very feminine bothers me. It's jarring, not a smooth mix. From the waist up, the shirt and your mustache are very masculine. From the waist down, the skirt is feminine casual. And the hose and shoes are feminine dressy. I like all the pieces, but I don't like the mix. My guess is you don't want to lose the mustache, but for wearing femme things, it would really help your face to look less masculine and more neutral. You could photoshop the picture to erase it and see what you think. Post it if you do and let us see it. I think the shirt and skirt, both on the casual side, go well together. Wear nude hose and more casual shoes (loafers, clogs, or oxfords) to make the entire outfit more casual and blend together. I'm not sure about boots - it depends on the boot. Western boots are casual and would be ok, but not stiletto heeled boots, which are too dressy. Or if you want to wear the dressy black hose and shoes, wear a black skirt instead of the more casual denim (and lose the mustache). You have a good looking body and some great pieces to wear, but a different mix is needed for a more consistent look from head to toe. I hope HappyFeat and JeffB weigh in on this thread. They have a great eye for clothing ensembles that work. Steve

My guess is you don't want to lose the mustache, but for wearing femme things, it would really help your face to look less masculine and more neutral.

I agree.

This is why I insist on being clean-shaven. To me, facial hair and heels just don't mix. Period.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

scrappycoco: Hmm! That's an interesting outfit there. Well, to put in my two cents worth, the skirt, hosiery and shoes work well, but not the shirt I'm afraid. The only person I know who wears a skull on his chest is the Punisher:

(Posted Image

With that in mind, I find your shirt to be more than a little garish. As Steve63130 has said, it's jarring, plain and simple. If you want to wear menswear with your skirt, I'd opt for a dressy turtleneck or a solid color polo shirt, like what I often sport on my jaunts, that would be more fashionable, and if you were to wear something in navy with that particular skirt, you'd be color coordinated as well. On the subject of facial hair, I'm always clean shaven when I go on my jaunts as, in my mind, facial hair doesn't at all mix with skirts and heels. This is just me, but I don't need any sort of facial hair to reinforce the knowledge that I'm a man, despite the clothes and shoes I choose to wear. At the end of the day, I can only make suggestions, it's up to you to decide on what you want to wear and what sort of look you want to present to the world as a whole.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

After looking at the picture's somemore I can understand what everyone is saying about the shirt. I chose that shirt for the fact that it had black in it and figured it would go ok with the hose and shoe's. The skirt it's self is the type of skirt that could go eaither way dressy or casual. I was trying to shoot for a dressy/casual look. I have a few diffrent opption's as far as men's shirt's go that i might put together on my next day off and post on here. As far as the stash goes I have always had one and that is how people have always seen me. I do get rid of it sometime's when it get's a little out of control just depend's on my mood! I don't see my counslar for crossdressing issue's I see her mainly cause of the line of work I am in to help dump some of my stress I have from my job. She has help me come as far along as I have wearing skirt's. The last time I seen her she asked me if I have add anything to my style. So that is how that came into play. Thanks for the input guy's!

Well, after reading some of the great advise given too me here i chose to try this look. It's the same izod skirt ( I love this skirt to death), Same black hose, and same payless MJ's, The only thing I did was add a black men's dress shirt. It's hard to see in the picture's that I took but the mat is kind of like a satin look not too shiny not too dull! I have a few other shirt's. It's hard for me when it come's to dress shirt's cause I really don't get much time to dress up mainly cause I work so much! So here is a diffrent set of picture's tell me how this look's. Dressing like this is all new to me! I am trying to be able to mix both style's!

post-18403-133522895991_thumb.jpg

post-18403-133522896002_thumb.jpg

A nice improvement! You might even consider tucking the shirt into the skirt and adding a belt to finish the look.

Great advice. You are slim enough where tucking your shirt in your skirt would enhance your waistline. A belt would finish it off for a very nice look.

I agree with the last 2 posters that you should tuck your shirt inside of your skirt and use a wide black leather belt. I think that you will like that look much better. Take a pic and let us see just how that look is for you. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Well, after reading some of the great advise given too me here i chose to try this look. It's the same izod skirt ( I love this skirt to death), Same black hose, and same payless MJ's, The only thing I did was add a black men's dress shirt. It's hard to see in the picture's that I took but the mat is kind of like a satin look not too shiny not too dull! I have a few other shirt's. It's hard for me when it come's to dress shirt's cause I really don't get much time to dress up mainly cause I work so much! So here is a diffrent set of picture's tell me how this look's. Dressing like this is all new to me! I am trying to be able to mix both style's!

I agree with the others; this one is a lot better.

i guess my only issue is the mixing of styles.

Nothing wrong with that. When guys wear shoes designed for women, that's mixing styles, too. :chuckle:

(it's a joke. b4 anybody starts getting offended.)

Thanks - I gathered this. :w00t2:

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

There have been some very great responses so far! One of the things I love about HHPlace is people's opinions about fashion may be CONTRADICTORY, however every one of them has MERIT. It begs the question - who do you listen to? The answer is EVERYBODY and NOBODY. You take some from here and there, but in the end you do what works best for you! To me it represents the essence of style. Let's face it, a guy wearing heels and skirts is really not about fashion (trends) its about style (putting together an outfit that reflects who you are and pulling it off, or at least trying to.) So, balance any and all advice with what statement you are trying to make style wise. That being said, I am happy t offer my two-cents. First of all, I think a skirt is (typically) a dressier item, especially combined with the heels. The Mary Janes are cute with the denim skirt, but do one of two things...lose the nylons (shave your legs) or wear tights. Sheer nylons are for a more formal look - in my opinion. Of course a pair of boots would work as well, since it seems even high stiletto boots are popular today with a more casual look. The tops you selected, in either picture really don't do any thing for me, however the second is better than the first. In my opinion (and that's all it is) when wearing a skirt, you should always wear long sleeves, whether it is a shirt, sweater, jacket, blazer, etc. A top need not be feminine, but should have a more stylish flare to it. For the denim skirt, if you love it wear it. End of discussion on that matter in my opinion. My suggestions for a casual look would include a thin sweater, a light hue, but maybe even red, a pair of black tights and black loafers or round toe pump...either with a nice block heel. Of course you can't miss with a belt. For a slightly dressier look, solid color dress shirt, thin nylons in a neutral shade such as suntan or taupe, and conservative pumps, maybe Mary Janes like you are wearing with a thinner, higher heel. Your outfit should also reflect where you are going to wear it. I think the first shirt would be OK if you were going clubbing, wore a jacket over it and boots. Other than that, it really doesn't work. The trick is to try to anticipate where you are going, who is likely to see you and always try to anticipate. A great case in point is JeffB's latest outing when he wore a SMASHING skirt and jacket with high pumps. A more formal look, but one of the places he went was to the Olive Garden (I would love to be able to eat like him and still get in my clothes) a more upscale chain restaurant. Always try to match what you are wearing to where you are going. I wouldn't sweat the juxtaposition of the feminine and masculine. I too have facial hair. I am a guy. Guys sometimes choose to have facial hair. Many guys who don't grow facial hair don't understand that it is important for some of us as even a part of our identity. I also choose to wear heels and on occasion skirts. Part of my statement is that I am a man (with a goatee) who also like more traditionally feminine attire. In my opinion, it works for me and I will continue to do both until I choose not to. Heeling for me is all about blending the feminine and masculine, the yin and yang, so to speak. Heeling seems to even bring me some sore of inner peace. My advice is take wearing a skirt seriously. Look around, see what all of your options are. The more comfortable you are in wearing a skirt, the more you will enjoy it and the better you will pull it off. Also, realize that folks like JeffB and myself have learned most of what we do by trial and error. We just try it, get some input from others as well as reflect on the experiences afterward. It does take some time and experimentation to really get it to work. I can say for sure that Jeff has mastered it, but I am still working on it in many ways. You are off to a great start and keep on developing your own style!

Style is built from the ground up!

scrappycoco: HappyFeat couldn't be more right, and I salute him for everything he wrote as he hit the nail on the head time after time in his post. While it's certainly good to take advice from others, at the end of the day, you have to decide on your own just what you'll do, what you decide you want to look like. Like HP, for me, it's all about style, all about looking good, if you're going to take the bold step by wearing skirts and heels in public, you DAMN well better look your very best, whether you opt for a casual outfit and something dressier like what I sported last Sunday. You can't afford to look odd, bizarre or strange, you HAVE to be tasteful in each and every aspect when out and about. But what is style? That depends on the person, it can be different for me, for HP, for everyone here, that's why you have to sift through advice and opinions on the topic and develop your own style. It can be a long and trying process, but once you've learned all you can, you'll be rewarded when you've given birth to your own style. When you've done that, I gaurentee you that you will both look and feel great! On the topic of the juxtaposition of the feminine and masculine, again, you have to decide on your own how to achieve your own sense of balance. I for one don't subscribe to labels like "feminine" and "masculine", regardless of what I happen to be wearing. Clothes are just that, clothes, it doesn't matter if I'm in a skirt and heels, I'm simply me. Now, I prefer to be clean shaven, but that's just me since I don't like facial hair, nor do I need it to display the obvious fact that I'm very much a man, even when garbed in women's clothes. However, but you don't have to follow my example, nor should you, again, it's important to go your own way, do what feels good and right to you, not to others, be it here at HHP or anywhere else. To close, HP is right when he said to take wearing skirts seriously, I certainly do, and you should as well, again, strive to look the very best you can, study hard, research, experiment, it'll bear fruit in the long run.

A nice improvement! You might even consider tucking the shirt into the skirt and adding a belt to finish the look.

I agree with this observation, but this is still a good look for you and you look so comfortable and natural wearing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, once again I thank everyone for there input! So with that being said today is the day that I should make my first trip out in a skirt and heel's! I'm not quite sure as to what I may wear! Do to the fact that it is going to be in the 30's today I might try a longer black dress skirt i bought awhile back. I have something's to do this AM before I go to see my counslar so I may wear that skirt just too see if I am going to be able to stand wearing a skirt when it's this cold! I do know this if I don't end up wearing a skirt to my conslar's app I am still going to wear heel's! I was challanged by her and am not going to back down from a challange! I think she kind of get's a kick out of waiting to see how I come in dressed! Just for your fyi I didn't start seeing her cause of the skirt's and heel's thing! I started seeing her mainly cause I was having a lot of anger issuse's. I was also having a hard time trying to figure out who I was as a person. Do to the job that I do I still keep her in my back poket so to speak when I start to get too stressed out I make an app and go in and see her. Once I get dress I will post a picture of the out fit I plan to wear with a skirt! After I go and see her I'll post on here to let everyone see whta i ended up wearing! There are other factor's that may prevent me from wearing the skirt into to see her beside's weather. Witch I'll explan later if I don't wear a skirt in to see her!

Ok So here is one of a few diffrent outfit's im thinking about! I think the skirt hose and heel's look good but I think the shirt make's me look fat! I have worn this shirt with pant's too witch I don't think it look's too bad! Please let me know what you guy's think asap! Like I said in my latest post! It's cold and snowing out now as I am typing this! So i may not even wear a skirt! i know one of my shorter one's are out of the picture! that's for sure! I may do my running around in this skirt just too see if it's going to be too cold for a skirt today! I also thought about wearing these pant's with this shirt and shoe's! Here is a link to the other way i was thinking about! Im going to do the skirt thing this am since I really don't need to get out of the car! I will hope to here some thought's when I get back!

www.hhplace.org/attachments/guys/7641d1255702435-out_about_heels-pa164643.jpg

post-18403-133522897714_thumb.jpg

post-18403-133522897725_thumb.jpg

Ok so after running into town wearing my skirt i decided not to go that route. I have opted to wear a pair of black men's dress pant's, a blue and white dress shirt, suntan hose and my MJ Pump's. Here is what it all look's like! Let me know what everyone think's! These MJ have got to be my fav pair of heel's! I do however need to get a pait of boot's witch I think I'll do that next month! I'll let you know what my counslar think's after I get back!

post-18403-133522897759_thumb.jpg

post-18403-133522897781_thumb.jpg

Ok So here is one of a few diffrent outfit's im thinking about! I think the skirt hose and heel's look good but I think the shirt make's me look fat! I have worn this shirt with pant's too witch I don't think it look's too bad! Please let me know what you guy's think asap! Like I said in my latest post! It's cold and snowing out now as I am typing this! So i may not even wear a skirt! i know one of my shorter one's are out of the picture! that's for sure! I may do my running around in this skirt just too see if it's going to be too cold for a skirt today! I also thought about wearing these pant's with this shirt and shoe's! Here is a link to the other way i was thinking about! Im going to do the skirt thing this am since I really don't need to get out of the car! I will hope to here some thought's when I get back!

Hi. Even if you opted not to use the skirts outfit I think that was looking good. If you own a pair of high heel boots it would feel warmer even when it is cold outside. Anyway good luck with your appointment.

Best regards, Stefan

I like how you put the skirt outfit together. The solid skirt, striped shirt and the black undershirt together makes a fairly nice look. However, I think the skirt may be a tad too big and is also a bit long. I think something shorter (not necessarily short) would work a lot better for you. I have told this to guys here as well as to women in person...don't be afraid to show a little more leg. Around or slightly above the knee works better for most people than they would imagine.

I would also consider some darker nylons. I love black and off black, but a taupe would also do nicely. Since it is cold, thicker tights are also a good option and you can even find them in really cool patterns right now. As mentioned above, when it is cold boots are a great option. I tend toward shoes myself, but with a skirt when you can show the whole boot is in my opinion the best time to wear boots. Combined with the right tights, you will likely be able to endure even frigid temperatures better than you could imagine.

The pants are nice as well. However they too appear to be a bit long. Getting the right fit is important (and I have always had some trouble with this) is very important. All in all the outfit was a pretty decent ensemble.

I know you mentioned that you live in Ohio. There is a local discount chain that has expanded there in the last few years called Gabriel Brothers http://www.gabrielbrothers.com/ . They sell overstocks and seconds (and even some defective products, so you really have to inspect everything closely) but recently I have found many items in the store for $3.00 or less. A store such as this allows you to experiment with styles, fits, etc. that can allow you to find many different options without breaking the bank - not to mention they are also a very decent place to find great heels.

Good luck! You are doing quite well and keep on experimenting with freestyling.

Style is built from the ground up!

An interesting out there. Just a few comments: This is just me, but I think the outfit would look better and you'd have a sleeker profile if you wore a turtleneck instead of a button down shirt. I swear by t-neck and they look great on me. I though the skirt looked good on you and I liked the length (which would go well with knee boots), especially at this time of year with those chilly temps, I would add a nice wide belt to give it some style, and yes, you should add some hosiery, most notably, off-black with that color skirt. All in all, I thought you did well.

get another pair of shoes that don't look like a pair that my aunt martha would wear,,,,,,,

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.