Skirting the Envelope

tallguyinheels

Nice but I think your top is way too large for you (and loose in the back)

Thought that was an airbag lol

shirts made for shirt wearing....

You mean there are other use's for them? Nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy :smile:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danielp Yup should have tucked the shirt in better in back - come to think of it - i should go out and get some fitted shirts made for shirt wearing....

Anybody out there have done same?

Hi All,

I wear skirts all the time out and about and I avoid that style of shirt precisely because it looks large on the top half.

Based on what I have experimented with and found looks good (in my opinion) on me is:

If you want to wear that style of shirt then pair it with a tailored jacket that fits closer to your body. A straight skirt - which I think is what that skirt was, or the even more fitted pencil skirt needs a snugger fitted upper half. The tighter the skirt the more important the fit of the top half.

If you don't want to wear a jacket then if I might be so bold as to suggest a cowl neck top style - it does not appear feminine yet "is" and is tailored snugly, it can sit over the top waistline of the skirt, and if in a bold color you can color block, eg red top, black skirt, red pumps...

Lastly - a flowing on the knee A-Line skirt suits all body types, pair that with a snugger top and it looks great...It gives the impression of some hips, rather than just a straight line.

Cheers

Heel-Lover

Danielp Yup should have tucked the shirt in better in back

One of the big differences between wearing a skirt and wearing slacks is, with slacks, all you can do is tuck your shirt in the waist then close the waist, but with a skirt, after you tuck in your shirt and close the waist, you can lift the skirt and pull the shirt's hem down and smooth the hem so there is no bunched up material. This makes for a tight fitting shirt and no extra material above the skirt's waste and a smooth transition from shirt to skirt and no lumps below the waist line.

Once you try this technique it becomes obvious and automatic, but new skirt wearers are so used to wearing pants that they don't think of it. :smile:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I agree with Heel-Lover fully. You don't want the top to overwhelm the skirt because of it's size. I also prefer snug tops like mock necks and turtlenecks which work very well with skirts of practically all styles and lengths. I alo agree with TBG, when you wear a shirt, you definitely want to have it neatly tucked into a skirt as so to present a clean line and profile. These things require time and practice and experimentation to find and discover what will work best.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thx guys: TBG: I usually take more care and pull the shirt down as you described - especially when going out and about. In the holiday spirit - I ventured to the Mall of America for the weekend - Trying on skirts in Lola, Cache, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Marshall's, Loft, Christopher & Banks, JJIll, & maybe one or two more... All afternoon Saturday and Sunday 10 to 2. In the mall I wore the booties (see below) a new pair of jeans from Buckle (Tyler 34W x 36L - 34 for my trimmer waist for the first time.) But first the shoes! From Nordstrom Loft on the sales rack with at least 25 pair of size 14's including about 9 pair of heels were these "Me Too" brand ruffled booties with a sturdy 4-1/4 inch heel. Web searching yields Me Too brands only to size 11 - but the proof is otherwise on my feet! The first pic is me sporting a sequined mini skirt from Cache, and a nice red 17-37 Croft and Barrow dress shirt. Ribbed tights, and the new booties. iPhone mirror pictures not that good - sorry. Short, for sure and in a size 10 for a trimmer me. Now I need a a holiday party to go to! More likely to wear often is the second skirt. A nice knee length skirt that I might have altered a bit shorter (suggested by the manager at Cache). and in a size 8! losing weight is almost as addictive as heels! Most fun though was comfortably wandering from store to store, in a crowded mall in heels, and with exceptional experience of being welcomed in stores as a customer for their products. Cache, Ann Taylor, Lola and JJill staff were particularly attentive - working a tall gentleman into their crowded stores politely. I wished I could buy something from all the stores. Kudos MoA!

post-994-133522965177_thumb.jpg

post-994-13352296518_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So my more recent adventure spans several days and involves not only the purchase of skirts and retailer responses, but also the advice and support received by my hair salon. It started with my experience a few weeks ago at the Mall of America where I tried on many skirts over a few days – and the premise that my shopping for a shorter shirt – perhaps one with a little “bling” would be useful in a potential upcoming holiday party. Wishful thinking, a bit, but someday perhaps. Fast forward to Monday this week, and a few mall visit here in ATL, this time in my new booties and long Gap Wide Leg “Perfect” trousers. The wide leg trousers are really wide, definitely a feminine feel, accented by the purse and heels poking out with every step. This is a higher end mall but somewhat small, but has other stores. Each store greeted me as a friendly customer, tried on a total of 15 or more short skirts (Some way too short for my conservative conscience – sorry TBG) – from six stores. Note that I went in the morning as the mall opened – so the store and mall were mostly empty – at least until the noon crowd came in. I find that even though I am stretching my skirt wearing envelope – I want to look decently dressed. Surprisingly, I came away empty handed. More stores to visit in other malls. Tuesday, was my first work day in a couple weeks, but I needed a haircut and set up an evening appointment with my stylist. I wear heels and skirts there almost every time – always my more conservative knee length or longer skirts – so I pulled one of my recent MoA purchases, a calf length A line full skirt to wear, Charcoal colored and a black shirt. Lunch time, I ventured to the nearby mall (closer than the earlier one) in said outfit. Only a few stores to try – a BCBGMAXAZRIA Outlet (the real BCBG store visit on Monday had some of the most promising skirts), Saks5th Outlet, Forever21 and Guess. Again the service for the BCBG sales staff was excellent, offering constructive advice (too short – not good with a tucked in shirt, should wear with a belt, etc.), the teenage or low 20’s age did not seem at all phased by a 50’ish guy trying on skirts. Ended up with the Lola – silver and black as in the picture below. A skirt I had actually tried on earlier at the Mall of America – but passed on – here it was $20 cheaper. Forever21 is a young women’s store catering to the look and feel of 20’s crowd and many of their skirts were so short I would be a bit embarrassed if I saw a woman wearing them. But again the a few wear selected – Any skirt I thought worthy I would walk out and get the staff’s opinion. Ended up with the blue one below. It’s kind of enjoyable having sales help bring you skirts to try on, and advice on how it looks. Of course, I use my own eye, and try to imagine myself being comfortable wearing the skirt sometime in public. Compliments on my legs and shoes not withstanding. Took both the skirts to the salon that night and after my needed cropping – I had explained my purchase, and had them in a shopping bag on entering – I ask if I could change into the skirts and ask my stylist Debbie’s (40’ish - woman) opinion. I warned her these skirts are a bit more “extreme” than I have worn before. Of course, she said that would be no problem, and I was directed to the small changing area where you can take off your coat or sweater and put on a “smock”. About seven stylists with as many customers + desk help were in the store at the time. And all of the help has seen me in skirt before – and never have I had a negative reaction from the lady customers or the occasional guy getting their hair cut. I come out first in the blue skirt – I was wearing grey sweater tights at the time – and the shirt was a flatter black that the one in the picture. Debbie says, “Wow! You can pull that off!” “No, it’s not too short”, she replied to my query. The head stylist – a guy – looks down the hall and says, “Come out here!” So now I’m in the middle of the salon, and compliments are firing my way - what a confidence builder! “You’ve got great legs!” “Camera Diaz!” Who wouldn’t love that! Into the second skirt, and one of the older (my age) customers says that’s even better! Wish I had the body to wear that! (She didn’t look that bad!). The consensus in the store that the Blue with Black tights and a darker skirt (as pictured) would work the best. Epilog: Thursday afternoon – after struggling to pick the right belt – I purchased several and headed to the salon – in the blue skirt and new shirt and asked opinions: (Sequins Belt “No”, Mid width Micheal Kors bright big buckle, “No” Narrow Belt – “that would work with the silver but not the blue one” Wide belt (shown) “That’s the one I’d pick” What do you think?

post-994-133522968559_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522968562_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522968564_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522968566_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522968567_thumb.jpg

Tallguy: All I can say is....WOW! You've taken your skirt wearing to levels even I couldn't envision on my best day! The style you displayed in the skirts you bought was terrific, and your legs looked great in those tights and ankle boots! Bravo to you, my friend! You have certainly become quite the pioneer, and I certainly enjoy reading your exploits.

Tallguy: All I can say is....WOW! You've taken your skirt wearing to levels even I couldn't envision on my best day! The style you displayed in the skirts you bought was terrific, and your legs looked great in those tights and ankle boots! Bravo to you, my friend! You have certainly become quite the pioneer, and I certainly enjoy reading your exploits.

Tallguy, I'd have to echo JeffB's comment.

Excellent look! With that much leg showing, I'd like taller boots. They don't have to be thigh high, but knee high or OTK would look very good!

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Excellent look!

With that much leg showing, I'd like taller boots. They don't have to be thigh high, but knee high or OTK would look very good!

I agree wholeheartedly! Knee high boots would work perfectly with all those outfits! Give it a try, tallguy! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome!

Way beyound Freestyle Fashion, but it's fun to play around.

"Way beyond"? I don't think so. That's a very sharp look. Well done!

Thx guys for you comments and support. Regarding knee high boots: You know - that was my first choice - but then I started visiting the web sites of the clothing stores I was visiting and NOT ONE showed the skirts on a model with knee high boots. Most were wearing Booties and, occasionally, pumps. My "advisor" at the the salon, concurred when asked - his response was "right now, booties are hot with short skirts the knee boot retro look was last year." He said that knee boot would go OK with a just above the knee skirt. And in Europe the are wearing the knee boot with a platform and really high stilettos with mini skirts and leggings. So you you guys that favor the knee boots are probably just ahead of the curve here in the USA. I have notice that the department and shoe stores are filling up with 1 to 2-1/2 inch platforms in boots, sandals, pumps and booties with 5 -7inch skinny heels. This spring should be great for ogling! Friday I did some returning (belts) and wore a pair of Please Seduce (5") knee boots with a straight black 30 inch pencil skirt (just at below the knee) I picked at Goodwill in November. Noon traffic at the mall was light, and I was received welcome at Von Maur, Dillard and Macy's. The sales clerk at Von Maur Remembered me from a few day earlier and complimented my outfit. When I was there purchasing the belt, I was in slacks - but I had mentioned the belt was for me and a skirt I was planning to wear. My last return was at Macy's and the once I was credited I took my time wandering through the woman's department, and eventually tried on some skirts - that might work for spring, a few with some earthy tones that will look good with pastel or bright colored shirts. No purchases made this time though.

"Way beyond"? I don't think so. That's a very sharp look. Well done!

No ? I always considered FF to be a mix of the male and the female and this is very feminine. It's a great skirt though. And I guess we should just put together what we like and not bother with labels. Thanks for the comment.

Way beyound Freestyle Fashion, but it's fun to play around.

Nothing beyond here.You do not use fake body parts,just a guy in the outfit he loves.All humans should wear the style they prefer,not just a certain half of them.

No ? I always considered FF to be a mix of the male and the female and this is very feminine. It's a great skirt though. And I guess we should just put together what we like and not bother with labels. Thanks for the comment.

I do not like male upper clothing with so called female apparel.What you have done is the right thing according to me.What I detest is fake body parts and identitites - that is not equal fashion to me.Freestyling is to wear whatever you please and be gender honest.Look at most women in the Western World,they have already done it!

I do not like male upper clothing with so called female apparel.What you have done is the right thing according to me.

So you don't like the first outfit ?

What I detest is fake body parts and identitites - that is not equal fashion to me.

I don't detest it, but I tried it and it's not for me.

Freestyling is to wear whatever you please and be gender honest.Look at most women in the Western World,they have already done it!

Maybe you're right.

Your upper clothing does not have the most typical male neckline - at least in my country I have not seen such item marketed for men.I like your outfit no matter the label on the objects.

This type of sweater is very normal male wear here.

Well, this is just me, but I don't mix male and female clothes, with the exception of coats and jackets (which I'm working on), everything I wear on my little adventures comes from the Ladies' side of the aisle. That's MY idea of fashion freedom. Again, what you wore looked good, and the important thing is to both look good and FEEL good.

Well, this is just me, but I don't mix male and female clothes, with the exception of coats and jackets (which I'm working on), everything I wear on my little adventures comes from the Ladies' side of the aisle. That's MY idea of fashion freedom. Again, what you wore looked good, and the important thing is to both look good and FEEL good.

I guess we have to make our own rules and wear what we feel is right. This skirt really is very nice to wear. I was experimenting with a new pic for the Metro thing.

post-5478-133522969542_thumb.jpg

I guess we have to make our own rules and wear what we feel is right. This skirt really is very nice to wear. I was experimenting with a new pic for the Metro thing.

Very nice. That outfit looks good on you, the vest is a particularly cool touch, ditto for the tights. What shoes did you wear with that ensemble?

Stilletto2004: Wearing heels with skirts is not a big thing. Really. Once you get used to the combination, you'll wonder why you waited so long to enjoy it. Give it a try and see what happens. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Very nice. That outfit looks good on you, the vest is a particularly cool touch, ditto for the tights. What shoes did you wear with that ensemble?

Thanks. The outfit is now up. I was trying it on with my ancle boots, but decided to present it without.