Skirting the Envelope

tallguyinheels

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally able to upload the pictures....

What do you think of the look? Also included a picture of the "Lace Scuba" Skirt mentioned above...

I looked much better and less "Girly" on me in the store. But perhaps a good thing I passed on it.

Well, I must say that the first two pics looked downright smashing! Very nice! Very nice indeed!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

thx JeffB. As you already know, there is a bit more freedom in a shorter skirt. Though tights are pretty much a necessity. I think I'll be out again tomorrow in this skirt, though it's suppose to cool off 30 degrees tomorrow - trading an 85 for a 55 here in ATL. I may need to find a jacket or sweater that works well. with the skirt - and likely boots.

thx JeffB.

As you already know, there is a bit more freedom in a shorter skirt. Though tights are pretty much a necessity. I think I'll be out again tomorrow in this skirt, though it's suppose to cool off 30 degrees tomorrow - trading an 85 for a 55 here in ATL. I may need to find a jacket or sweater that works well. with the skirt - and likely boots.

Well, there's always long A-line skirts which provides it's own level of freedom, and they pair up wonderfully with boots. I've worn that combination in the fall and winter and love it!

Well, I must say that the first two pics looked downright smashing! Very nice! Very nice indeed!

I totally agree with JeffB.

As for venturing out in cooler weather with a skirt and knee high boots, I suggest a leg covering that reduces the contrast between the boots and your legs. I have seen a couple of ladys lately with a black skirt/dress, black patten boots and white legs. I didn't think it looked as nice as it should. Black or dark leg covering would have helped.

Thigh boots resolve that problem nicely. :)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 3 weeks later...

So back in the skirt mode. This time a business trip for SoCal – and a free morning before an afternoon flight. I was anxious to try out one of my new short skirts. As I like to travel light in one roller bag – short skirts and my avatar oxfords make for a concise addition as my alternative wardrobe. Choosing the Gap plaid skirt, it is noticeably shorter than the Target skirt – and the same shirt you see – I wander down for breakfast at the hotel – car keys, phone, credit cards, room key, all fit in the Target (purchased the evening before) handbag – and I notice it’s pouring rain outside. Bravely, actually casually (as if I’ve done the many times), I just walk into the dining area – about 10 people in the room, and I garner looks from all, but nary a comment, ‘cept a cheerful, “Would you like a waffle for breakfast, sir” from the Latino attendant. I decline and grab some OJ and a banana. It is easy to watch what you eat when in a mini-skirt (and a couple waist cinchers). The news is on and I read USA today – as I make sure to keep my legs together and my shoes tucked under my chair a bit to the side. After about 5 minutes and more looks – no comments - as the guests come and go, I began to relax and enjoy my situation. After a couple juice refills, and I’m done with the paper, it’s time to finish packing and check out – It’s still a about 9:00 and the mall doesn’t open until 10. The young female attendant smiles as I approach the front desk. I complain about the rain - in Southern California! “Looks like it might let up in a bit”. As we wrap up the paperwork anther guest comes to the desk. I’m almost disappointed that I’m getting no comments – like it is completely normal for a 50+ year old 6-8 in heels and miniskirt to be in everyone’s presence. I drive off toward the South Coast Plaza mall in Costa Mesa. Ith still a little time to kill I stop off at a CVS to get a bottle of water. I wait a bit for the rain to let up – throw on a light jacket for the cool morning and remaining light rain. Walking head high, enter the store right past the long checkout line. Again looks – no comments, not even a snicker! Grab a water bottle, walking past a stock clerk, and return to the long cue. I laugh a bit to myself as I look down to double check my wardrobe; High heels – Check, Long Ribbed Tights – Check, Mini Skirt – Check. From how I was treated, I could have been in Dockers and loafers. Off to the parking lot near the Nordstrom’s at the north side of the mall. Several customers are already parked near the entrance and I join them and answer a few emails to pass the remaining 10 minutes or so until the store opens. Confidence is high as I enter the store – about five minutes after the doors opened because of the emails – not any apprehension. There must already be 50 people in the store already. This door enters in the men’s department and as I make my way to the escalator, I get looks from and older couple looking at shirts and I get an up and down (not judgmental) look from a women in her 30’s, as I motion and suggest “After you” as we meet almost simultaneously at the foot of the elevator. To be continued. (oh, how do you like the skirts?) I notice my tight's ribs are not straight in this morning's photo - be assured they were straight last Friday.

post-994-13352296074_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522960743_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522960747_thumb.jpg

Up on the women’s floor – I head at first to the more affordable section, and began to look at a rack with and short flared skirt. I’m met immediately by a young (20ish?) sales girl, herself dressed sharply in a dark brown, above-the-knees pencil skirt and white blouse, in 3 inch heeled alligator skin loafers, with a tapered block heel, and a narrow belt matching the shoes. I complimented her on the shoes, saying I wish I could get something like that in my size. She returned the compliment, as I explained my interest in skirts, “I don’t dress as a woman”, and that this was the first time I was out in this short a skirt. (Again honesty is a great confidence builder.) She introduced herself (Christina) and she she explained that we are kind of between seasons and skirts are a bit limited. I explained my current selection of skirts, and that I might be interested in a different color (not black or charcoal) and am willing to try different lengths. She shared my smile when I said I shy away from “girly” frilly and print skirts. Over 15 minutes or more we looked at different skirts from the floor, looking at and strolling as if I was her most important customer. And though none were hits we selected one brown leather A- line skirt ($500) for me to try. I’m not sure why the real expensive stuff is limited to size 10 and down, but while the 10 was a bit small, she said she would check around a bit. She returned with a water bottle for me, and I asked how the fit was. “tight – and I’m not sure about the brown skirt with black boots - though she said I could get away with black shoes like I had on with brown tights – even without a black belt. She came back a bit later with a long floor lenght size 8 Donna Karan skirt – fine material and a $1000 price tag, that she said might fit in a 10 – DK runs a bit big. (What I would give to have a $40K clothing budget.) In all I was there for almost an hour, but came up empty handed. I’ve been in my heels and mini skirt for almost 4 hours and felt like I could do four more, though the ankles were a bit weary, I returned down the escalator to the car, and drove to Bloomingdale’s at the other end of the mall, which was getting more crowded all the time.

At Bloomingdales, I entered the ground floor and had to take the escalator up to the 3rd floor for women’s wear. I think I got on of my first cell phone photos taken of me from the rear and I went up from men’s to women’s - I didn’t want to turn around and bow, so I continued up. Empty of people except for the sale rack and very few skirts and no interaction at all so I ventured into the mall. First to Banana Republic, entering the men’s second floor level first. Ignoring looks from shoppers and greeted nicely from an attendant I moved to the back of the store and took the elevator down a floor. Again it was busy and no sales associate offered to assist as I browsed room to room. Exiting, next door was a boutique called “Club Monaco” and I wandered in. Greeted nicely with smiles by a staff member behind the register, I wandered a bit and located a rack of skirts. A different sales associate, another young girl, arrived and greeted me, about tumbling over the 6 inch wooden platform shoes as I turned around. As she (Marisa) recovered, I said “that should be me stumbling over these heels”, as I lifted one up. Marisa was very nice help, I tried on a number of skirts there. The drawback was a couple of the above the knee pencil skirts were more elastic and a without slits in the back were a bit more form fitting. This means a rear bulge and a front bump – the latter not acceptable. This store again catered to size 10 and down so the selection was limited in my size. With the flight from John Wayne approaching, I exited with no new skirts but a pleasant experience all around. Unhappily I changed into travel garb – a little wore out from the heels. Energized by the experience, deciding I have to get out more.

tallguyinheels: Bravo to you on your recent outing! You've certainly shown and displayed a special brand of bravado that I for one truly admire! Traveling here and there, even shopping in a skirt and heels! I am certainly impressed! Keep up the great work, my friend!

Greetings tallguyinheels :-)

I admire those wearing want they want where they want. Well done !

About the skirt with a $1000 price tag...I guess it must be very nice for that price ?

Was there something special with it to justify such a high price ?

It must have been a gorgeous skirt for that price:yummy: I'd love to get glammed up and hit the streets... fashion's changing so a guy in a skirt is no longer unusual, thanks to mainstream celeb's like Kanye West:silly: I've got more kilts in my collection, as my name suggests :smile: At the moment, just doing small errands to the local shop, I get some looks in my denim knee-length - I'm trying to sit more like a lady, but I'm not used to it yet... It seems forced at the moment. I still haven't mastered getting out of a car gracefully, but I'm trying... I just have some simple brown pumps at the moment, but am looking for something with a wider heel as I'm still getting used to heels in gereral. @tallguyinheels, was your 'travel garb' a more conservative skirt? :smile:

$$$$ Skirt was log and full length

http://www.donnakaran.com/categories/pants-and-skirts/e41s116p68/floor-length-gored-skirt

a little to upscale for me...

No, this time "travel garb" was jeans and the same shirt. I don't yet want to be "discovered" and I always seem to see people I know at airports or on airplanes. Though not this time.

Actually wore the same skirt out yesterday at lunch on a visit to a tailor I use now and then. I'm getting a few skirts altered as I have been dropping weight a bit. Size 14 Kim Rogers skirt from Belk is getting a major trimming - it'll be ready next week.

• 2 weeks later...

More skirts... The first few are of the stone Kim Rogers A-line size 14, just tailored to a size 12, pencil skirt. Except for the fact it is unlined - requiring a slip, depending on the material of my tights - this one looks real nice. And the black wool full skirt is, now that the weather is cooling off, my practical favorite - I picked it up last summer at a Goodwill, but even at a size 14 - this Talbot's skirt was too small in the waist - until my last 5-10 lbs weight loss - that is. Full size front pocket let me make a quick run in to stores on errands - with car keys and money. I still need to get comfortable with a purse like JeffB - though I'm working on it. This lunch, wandered into Barnes & Nobel with the Black Wool, and blue plaid - just as the picture. I did bring my Black Purse (see a few entries back) for Cell phone, credit cards, money, gum, etc. Even though it was crowded, hardly a head turned or expression changed. I may have to start going places to try an get noticed! Next post will be about travels in the Stone Pencil.

post-994-133522962113_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522962117_thumb.jpg

post-994-133522962118_thumb.jpg

Just went to the hair stylist in the black skirt above - 5" oxfords. Right away a younger stylist complimented me on my shoes and asked where I got them. I'm starting to get use to using a purse. - it feels best on the right side even though I cart my briefcase on the left shoulder, and I'm a lefty by nature.. Other than that: I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving...

http://hypeed.com/from-turkey-shoes-high-heels--tb2603-2240

tallguyinheels: Nice skirts you have there, my friend. You have a good eye for style. Bravo! As for carrying a purse, in time, it'll become as commonplace to you as the shoes you wear, then you'll wonder why you waited so long to start using one.

I echo JeffB's comments regarding the purse. A shoulder bag makes so much sense, I wear mine everywhere, and very seldom get any comments. And what comments I get are always positive. My pants pockets are always empty now and they fit and look so much better that way. Much more challenging for pickpockets, too, who look for easier prey. Steve

Yes things I like about my shoulder strapped purse. strap can go over my head - never sliding off. It holds my cell phone, keys, credit cards, a pen, business cards, chewing gum or mints, some spare change and a few 3x5 cards I use for taking notes. I don't have to use pockets. Worst thing is my wife doesn't like it. She's not crazy about the skirt and heels thing either.

The junk always accumulates to fill the available space - that's a given. So I had to agree with my wife not to carry the spare tire, the boat anchor and the kitchen sink in my bag. She's right. It no longer bulges and weighs me down! I don't wear skirts, but if you do, how else can you carry the necessary stuff? Most skirts don't have pockets and if they did, they would look terrible filled with stuff. Next time your wife says she isn't crazy about your skirts, tell her you're not crazy about her in pants, but you're willing to compromise. Steve

Hi folks, I would agree with the sentiments re bags. I wear skirts almost all the time I wear heels and I have been carrying a handbag (different styles) for 2-3 years. They are so practical and I carry the handbag whenever I wear heels now, even with jeans/ shorts. You can accessorize with a handbag and heels, and it adds another dimension to an outfit. The only things I would say re carrying a bag are: 1.get a light lining so you can find stuff 2.look for internal pockets/ shape etc (which is why I prefer short strapped hand-bags) Have fun Cheers Heel-Lover

Out again today at lunch in the button front Stone colored pencil skirt. Something new is burgundy colored tights. Picked up a couple skirts at Goodwill. I think I always greeted more cheerfully when I'm in a skirt there. One of the skirts is a below the knee forest green skirt that will good the Christmas season - even looked good with the burgundy tights. I do think That now my skirt wardrobe has out paced my long pants wardrobe by one or two now. 7 or eight skirts I wear now - a couple of my earlier skirts have made their way to charity - because now I'm down a couple sizes. Pictures to follow in a bit. I do have a couple trousers on order from the GAP - nice 30% discount on the website yesterday. I believe my nex purchases will be some updates to footware. The Pleaser Flair knee boot and maybe the Domina 2000 knee boot. Along with another pair of Seduce 460's - wish they wouldn't stretch out so.

Hi folks,

I would agree with the sentiments re bags. I wear skirts almost all the time I wear heels and I have been carrying a handbag (different styles) for 2-3 years. They are so practical and I carry the handbag whenever I wear heels now, even with jeans/ shorts. You can accessorize with a handbag and heels, and it adds another dimension to an outfit.

The only things I would say re carrying a bag are:

1.get a light lining so you can find stuff

2.look for internal pockets/ shape etc (which is why I prefer short strapped hand-bags)

Have fun

Cheers

Heel-Lover

Bravo to you, my friend! I look at you as an advocate of men carrying handbags, you carry the torch very well for us, bringing to the fore the practicality, functionality, and the fun that comes from using a purse. Like you, I wouldn't be caught dead on a jaunt without a handbag these days, and I enjoy that immensely.