Driving with stilettoes

misterd73

Hmm... I'm planning to go out for the first time (outside the house, into the big, big world...) with my 4" boots on: http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bottes7fk2.jpg

I have no experience driving with spike heel footwear.

Here in Europe, most cars have a manual gearbox and this is the case for mine, so I'll be using all three pedals.

I'm sure that you "veteran" high heelers are plenty of advice, so how do you do it to drive safer with your heels?

Just hope that the cops don't ask me to get out of the car during a simple papers control, if that happens... :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

"Never below 4" and always spiky"

My advice is DON'T!! It's nervewracking enough to think about walking outside in high heels for the first time without the additional complications of driving a manual transmission in heels. If you should get into an accident, you (and your footwear) will be to blame. A little while back (six months or so) a female got into an accident while wearing platform heels that caused injury to another person (I think the shoes got caught or something like that). She was brought of charges as a result of driving in unsafe footwear.

My 2 cents are this. 1. If you are uncomfortable, maybe start slow and work your way up. If you are unsure how your boots will affect the way you press the pedals, perhaps sit in your driveway for a few minutes and get the feel of it. I remember my first time driving in heels was a complete rush, and to be honest, it was hard to judge how hard to push the pedals, but after a few minutes, i got the hang of it, and now driving in heels is as easy as sliding down the snow. :welcome: 2. I can understand how footwear would be to blame when it comes to platforms, but bear in mind, millions of women drive, and some get into accidents, and their regular heels are not called into question. Dont worry about anything happening. just be a safe driver. and for 1 more penny, I remember i was driving home from my fiancee's house(now our home since we got married and i moved in) and i was wearing my 3.5 inch heels. It was late, and i was going a bit faster than normal, and i didn't see the cop on the side of the road(this cop was smart, he wasn't radaring from the regular cop positions) and i see the lights and get pulled over... my heart started pounding, cold sweat, clammy hands, what was i to do! Luckily he came around the passenger side. I pushed my feet as close to the engine as possible to keep my feet from view, gave him my license and registration while doing my best to maintain my composure. When he went back to check out the paperwork, i slipped off my heels as fast as i could and slid them under the seat. but where were my other shoes?? OH NOES! I left them in the back seat! I didn't wanna start fiddling around in the car to cause suspicion for the cop, so i just sat there, bare foot. I figured less questions driving barefoot, than driving in open toed 3 inch mary jane heels. :thumbsup: The cop came back, wrote me a ticket, and told me to slow down, and off i went. Moral of the story? well, in hindsight... which usually is 20/20, it was a bigger deal than what i thought it was at the time. You have to remember, the police man who could pull you over has probably, and quite possibly seen worse than a guy in high heels. So, IF perchance you do get pulled over, who cares. if they want you to get out? who cares. its your clothes, its your shoes, its your life, and he aint gonna arrest you for your style of dress. There you go.

Most sensible people drive in suitable flat footwear and change to heels upon arrival. This will help prevent unwarranted accidents on our ever busy highways. Further will avoid any embarrassment of explaining in open court that wearing heels was the cause of the accident.

Most sensible people drive in suitable flat footwear and change to heels upon arrival. This will help prevent unwarranted accidents on our ever busy highways. Further will avoid any embarrassment of explaining in open court that wearing heels was the cause of the accident.

Tha main reason some women drive in flats is because driving in heels causes wear to the back of the heel where it is resting on the carpet. My solution to this is to place a soft duster there so that that moves with the heel and so no wear.

There is no empirical evidence that stiletto or any other kind of high heel is the main cause of accidents and so you would be unlikely to have to explain why you were driving in heels. As Olounda has said above, millions of women drive every day in heels without incident. Moreover, insurance premiums tend to be lower for women drivers so even the insurance companies share the view that driving in heels is not dangerous.

All you need to do is to pay extra attention to the road conditions, speed limits and your driving. Don't drive too slow otherwise if a cop stopped you he would say that you are driving slowly because of your heels.

Note: Driving barefoot is actually illegal in many US states and in the UK, driving in heels is not.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

My 2 cents are this.

Moral of the story? well, in hindsight... which usually is 20/20, it was a bigger deal than what i thought it was at the time. You have to remember, the police man who could pull you over has probably, and quite possibly seen worse than a guy in high heels. So, IF perchance you do get pulled over, who cares. if they want you to get out? who cares. its your clothes, its your shoes, its your life, and he aint gonna arrest you for your style of dress. There you go.

That is a story that i always fear will happen to me, when driving thats why i alwas have a pair of slippers next to me for that case, and if i wear to drive in heels i try not to wear pointy shoes since those ones are extralong and may cause you to press wrong the pedals.

I always wonder if a cop spot you in heels, wearing man outfit, is it a reason to use inapropirtiate footwear and can give you a ticket just for that?

or if a cop spots you all in femme, and of course in your DL your appearance is totally different than the actual, is that a ground to "in the best cases" only to report and keep you in the public file, that you was spotted in femme, so this antecedent makes you in the list of TV and people that may be suspected of something and wearing in femme? this is something that keeps in my head all the time when going out.

V. Morpho

Moreover, insurance premiums tend to be lower for women drivers so even the insurance companies share the view that driving in heels is not dangerous.

lol, r u nuts? :thumbsup:

That has nothing to do with their footwear, its because women have far better "attitudes" and manners on the roads, and are simply less likely to actually cause an accident.

I would never advise anybody it is safe to drive wearing extended spikes from the bottom of your feet.

When your driving, the only thing on your mind should always be the task at hand. Anything is is just plain stupid. If your going to be so worried about your heels, you might as well be using a mobile phone, and eating a big-mac at the same time because you definately WONT be concentrating on what your doing, which isnt fair on other road users that you will probably crash into if not concentrating on your driving.

Sorry to sound like a killjoy guys, but driving should be just that, driving....

not "going along in the car but actually concentrating on whats on your feet"

Shoes have functions in life, and underneath your dashboard really is no place for a fashion statement in a moving vehicle...

Think of it like this...

When you crash iinto the back of somebody while you were concentrating on your shoes, ask yourself "could I have braked better and earlier if my mind wasnt on my shoes, and I had the right shoes on for the job"?

Weird how people think its safe to drive when their minds are clearly elsewhere, like eating, mobile phones, applying makeup, worried about their shoes etc, but if you flipped it and put the DRIVERS life directly on the line and ask them to do the same things whilst rock climbing for example, it would be a different story...

But because everybody feels so safe and cocooned in their little bubbles, with all the safety features, airbags, belts etc, its other people who suddenly dont matter...

I dont care who you are, if what your doing directly impacts the safety of those around you, then its dumb, and its selfish.

In case your wondering, yes, one of my family was in a road accident not long ago with a girl wearing heels, and her excuse was "Sorry, couldnt find the brakes in these shoes", leaving family member without a car for months, and a ton of expense's to pay out before "eventually" claiming it back on the girls insurance.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

One consideration, particularly for we Brits in our manual gear cars, is the position of the pedals. If they are well off the floor like a Volkswagen I have had no difficulty in heels up to 3 inches. Maybe a stiletto heel could catch in a carpet so perhaps a rubber mat would be safer. I have been driving for sixty years, the last thirty os so in heels of 2 to 3 inches and never had a problem!

Tech 'lol, r u nuts?' great start! My view..safety first always..could you live guilt free knowing 100% your 'heels ' werent the issue...doubt it. Yes i have and do drive in some heels as i dont need to think about them when walking around,the same when driving,but some of my heels,no way,too tall and reaction times go out the window in an emergency.

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Hi, I would advice NOT to wear platform-shoes. I've a pair with a 1.5cm platform and they don't 'bend'. You have (at least, i have) not a good 'feeling' what the clutch or your feet is 'doing'. To be honest, i've got a better feeling with the pedals with my 9 cm high heeled boots as with my hiking shoes. The hinking shoes has a (thick) sole with a lot of knobs and groves (profile?) with not 'glide' smoothly over the pedal when releasing the clutch. Don't take any brand new shoes, the (leader)sole must have some 'grip', or use a shoe with a rubber sole. And a shoe with fits firmly on your feet! Try it first on a quiet road. If it feels strange, it will, after a while, no problem. I've driven many miles with heels, for example from Austria to/from Holland, not only on the Autobahn, but also the scenic-roads (mountains), city-traffic etc. And on the last two, you must use the clutch a lot :-) (hopefully not to much english-errors)

I'm better and more cautious in heels than without I have a loony car Citroen Xantia Activa . Flats and I'm in a F1 car Heels and I'm sane Our BMW 328 is made for heels. Just take care As they say Gently in the Bentley Al

Tech 'lol, r u nuts?'

great start!

My view..safety first always..could you live guilt free knowing 100% your 'heels ' werent the issue...doubt it.

Yes i have and do drive in some heels as i dont need to think about them when walking around,the same when driving,but some of my heels,no way,too tall and reaction times go out the window in an emergency.

lol, that was said with a giggle though, not anger... but seriously, it also depends on what your "used to", like if you have never done it before, and are nervous about even going out in heels, then there just inst any way your going to be able to concentrate, but if your a seasoned "heeler" who doesnt give a rats ass, then it wouldnt be "as big an issue" as your already at the stage of not actually panicing about what your wearing on your feet.

Anything out of the norm that takes your mind off the driving really, was the point I was heading for... :thumbsup:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

lol, r u nuts? :thumbsup:

That has nothing to do with their footwear, its because women have far better "attitudes" and manners on the roads, and are simply less likely to actually cause an accident.

In actual fact I was kidding... the real reason is because women tend to drive half the annual mileage that men do.

I would never advise anybody it is safe to drive wearing extended spikes from the bottom of your feet.

When your driving, the only thing on your mind should always be the task at hand. Anything is is just plain stupid. If your going to be so worried about your heels, you might as well be using a mobile phone, and eating a big-mac at the same time because you definately WONT be concentrating on what your doing, which isnt fair on other road users that you will probably crash into if not concentrating on your driving.

Sorry to sound like a killjoy guys, but driving should be just that, driving....

not "going along in the car but actually concentrating on whats on your feet"

Shoes have functions in life, and underneath your dashboard really is no place for a fashion statement in a moving vehicle...

Think of it like this...

When you crash iinto the back of somebody while you were concentrating on your shoes, ask yourself "could I have braked better and earlier if my mind wasnt on my shoes, and I had the right shoes on for the job"?

Weird how people think its safe to drive when their minds are clearly elsewhere, like eating, mobile phones, applying makeup, worried about their shoes etc, but if you flipped it and put the DRIVERS life directly on the line and ask them to do the same things whilst rock climbing for example, it would be a different story...

But because everybody feels so safe and cocooned in their little bubbles, with all the safety features, airbags, belts etc, its other people who suddenly dont matter...

I dont care who you are, if what your doing directly impacts the safety of those around you, then its dumb, and its selfish.

In case your wondering, yes, one of my family was in a road accident not long ago with a girl wearing heels, and her excuse was "Sorry, couldnt find the brakes in these shoes", leaving family member without a car for months, and a ton of expense's to pay out before "eventually" claiming it back on the girls insurance.

Indeed, of course you're right.

In actual fact I rarely drive in heels because it can mess them up and rub the leather at the point where the back of the shoe rubs on the floor. Though On the odd occasions that I have done so I have done it without a second thought or worry that: "hey I'm driving in heels" perhaps because it is relatively normalfor me to be wearing them and also have the knowledge that it is not illegal to do so or even recommended that you should not.

As I have said before, there is no scientific, statistical or empirical evidence whatsoever that points to any kind of impairment to driving a vehicle in heels.

Having said that, I would personally recommend that you drive in flats, partly because it's more comfortable and partly because it won't spoil your heels.

In the case of a woman saying that her heels caused the crash I would suggest that she was using it as an excuse and was probably using a mobile phone or doing something else unlawful.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I drive in stiletto heeled boots quite a bit. I would seriously urge you to practice in a quiet area first. A big car park on a Sunday morning is ideal. You need to practice a bit to get used to driving a manual car but its great after that. Please dont go out on busy roads or housing estates where kids might play whilst driving in high heels unless you are used to driving in heels. Keep the heels low at first also. I still wouldnt drive in the likes of a 4" heel.

Get familiar with the way your high heeled shoes are going to touch the pedals as you practice. If you find that the pedals are smaller than the heels can safely handle (slipping off or getting the pedal stuck between the heel and the sole) you prabably ought to consider wearing lower heels, at least starting out driving. Being an experienced high heeler for many years, I have never really had a problem with the variety of the vehicles I have driven. From VW bugs and vans to larger box trucks and flat beds, placement of my high heeled footwear on the different pedal configurations seemed natural once I became familiar with the vehicle. Again, safety first and be able to have your mind majorly involved with your driving not on your stilettos.

I just finished the 480 mile return trip on a thousand or so mile total trip in my car with 4 1/4 inch stiletto boots on. No problems at all, no missed pedals, etc. Like walking in heels, it is just something to get used to.

It's all about the heel!

I don't know what this "if the heels are bigger than the pedals" thing is but all my heels have a much smaller "footprint" than any of my flats. In fact one of the very minor challenges of driving in heels seems to be the chance that my foot could go down between the pedals which cannot happen in my big clumpy male boots!

Xantia's haven't got enough room for big boots (except in the boot/trunk) and the beemer is not that much better with a smaller boot/trunk. Al

I have driven both automatics and stick shift big American cars in all types and styles of heels for many years without any problems or accidents. I do find that I seem to drive a bit more carefully when I have heels on but not overly careful. There is nothing more exilerating than mashing the accelerator to the floor than when wearing heels. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I've been driving in heels for quite some time now and, thankfully, I haven't encountered any problems while on the road (pauses to rap on the side of my head). Knock on wood. If anything, I'm more careful driving in heels than in sneakers because I'm far more cautious, almost to a fault, not wanting to take any chances when behind the wheel. It can be done, but it does take practice.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have to agree with this being a safety issue . I say this because I spent 15 years running over all the lower 48 and Canada . I am accident free and only 1 speeding ticket ( thanks to the Buckeye state and their 55 mph on commercial trucks ) . Knock on wood and toss some salt over my shoulder!However , I to have worn 2 1/2 " stacked heels with an open toe while driving. My reason for the lower heel was if other truckers can wear cowboy boots then I can wear pumps of the same heel hight. Running solo after making a drop in L.A. I was headed back for the Bluegrass state , heading for the scale in Banning CA and forgot to change out of my pumps as I rolled across the scale in my pumps my heart was beating out of control and praying to God that I would not get an inspection . Well I was told to pull around for inspection . As soon, as I could I kicked them off by the gear shift and put my work boots on . During the cab check I saw the pumps next to the gear shift ......oh sh#$% ! Here it comes 21 questions. All the DOT said was, hope we didn't wake your girlfriend.After seeing the shoes in the floorboard. I replied , not much wakes her up. The first thing after leaving the scale put shoes in bunk and do not remove til I get home. That pretty much broke me of highway heeling. I have not drove in heels since . Looking back at my time driving 18 wheelers I would have to say everyone please drive like it's your last trip enjoy the ride. Most of all be safe and watch out for other motorist . Driving IS a privlage not required by law!

I have been Banned for emailing abuse to tech when he tried to help me.

Wow, I sure don't understand why anyone would have a problem driving in heels. Well, I guess if your in to the stripper type shoes with those very high platforms and heels, it then would be a problem. But a typical pair of 3-4" heel pumps? I've driven in those for years, and I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between driving in those heels, and driving in typical men's shoes. If you drive as you are supposed to drive, using the ball of the foot for the brake and gas (and clutch if necessary), there should be no problem at all!

During the cab check I saw the pumps next to the gear shift ......oh sh#$% ! Here it comes 21 questions. All the DOT said was, hope we didn't wake your girlfriend.After seeing the shoes in the floorboard. I replied , not much wakes her up. The first thing after leaving the scale put shoes in bunk and do not remove til I get home. That pretty much broke me of highway heeling. I have not drove in heels since . !

That was a story, well, if your shoes were size 10 usa or 43eu, then please who are you kiddin, the inspector maybe was pulling aleg on you, hahaha, in any case what the hell, you probably wont see him again, and he wont saw to his friends who are you and what License no. etc, is just normal. The problem is that if the inspector is your friend and knows your co-workers, trucker partners etc, that may be a little difficult to handle and to explain.

The other thing I was imagining is that instead of a inspector lets say it was the sherif, and see the heels there and then no girl, that would be raising some suspition if a girl was missing in the county, hahahaha then you have to explain that those shoes are totally yours, and probe it by walking in them as good as you do, hahahaha, anyway, nothing wrong with it, hope would never happen, but you shouldnt reframe from driving in heels just because of that.

One day I was driving in a tigh miniskirt and fishnet tighs with a high tigh black PU boots, the look was so sexy, I have to accept i looked like a hooker, anyway i was driving in the high way, 2 hour trip, and in one of those times when the trucker goes shoulder to shoulder from your car he started to stare at my legs, I felt so so ackward, I was wearing a cap and a sunglasses, difficult to identify, anyway i felt so weird, have to say that was not pleasant, and had to put a sweater over my lap, and stand the guy for some minutes, then he left, i was not to accelarate and get a ticket just because of that.

This is an example of another scenario of a possible bad experience or accident.

V. Morpho

Wow! I'm amazed for the quality and quantity of the feedback! Thanks guys! All your points are interesting - with a particular smile for Bluegrass' and Morpho's end stories, as I'm myself a trucker - although at this stage I'd never use or even carry heels in my truck; as I do a "regional" line and "everybody know everybody". Besides, heels would simply not go with my work outfit... :w00t2: From all that is said, here's what I have decided to retain : 1. It is not illegal to drive with heels here in France; 2. I'm going to practice on a big empty surface like an empty parking lot on a sunday morning before actually going on the road; 3. I'm going to start with my 4", as I don't like to walk with anything shorter; 4. I will start with something as tight to the foot as possible, as it will provide more stability; 5. For my first day outside the house in heels, I'll probably drive in sneakers, then put on the heels at my destination. No need to add "aditionnal stress" for fear of being recognised. Again, thank you very much all for sharing your advice and experiences. Really appreciate it!!! ;-)

"Never below 4" and always spiky"

Morpho , You have some interesting points I would never think of. Back then , the early 90s I was wearing a size 13wUS . In that size all you have to do is add an outboard engine and you got a bass boat! hehehe. The DOT could have been pulling my leg. Some how I think he was more intrested in my safety triangles, flares and fire extinguisher. Furthermore I have not seen him or his buddies since.......! Thanks for your input. Bluegrass

I have been Banned for emailing abuse to tech when he tried to help me.