Runways, Rockers, and Celebrities in heels?

kneehighs

Has anyone seen the latest issue of the New York Times Magazine? In it is an editorial with Quentin Tarantino.

On page 4/5, he is wearing a pair of black stiletto pumps from Trash and Vaudeville.

I don't know how to copy flash images yet to my desktop, so maybe someone else here will be gratuitous with their time and perhaps supply the image for us to see.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

It has been a while since I read the Times magazine. And, I haven't read that issue (yet). Does this guy -- the one being interviewed -- say anywhere in the interview why he is wearing high heels?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

^ It was just an editorial. But it's the SECOND time that the New York Times has exposed the public to the concept of men in heels. The other was the article on androgynous dressing, with a photo of a guy in 4" Zara stilettos. And people here keep waiting for the next big break to happen? We already have Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens (2 of the biggest celebrity names in fashion) wearing heels and rising star Rad Hourani wearing heels. We already have multiple well known fashion institutions giving their okay to men in heels: Dazed and Confused Print with it's edgy London individuality gave a thumbs up, Paris Vogue's fun loving spiritous depiction of Andre on the cover in heels, Elle.com's thumbs up to Rad Hourani's heels for men, Glamour.com's thumbs up to heels for men, I saw a well known stylist for Vogue U.S. wearing 4" Rick Owens heels (they were not chunky either as some argue is the only way to assimilation). Positive media coverage already exists. Remember Evangeline Lilly's statement that she "doesn't mind a man in heels"? And her then boyfriend Dominic Monaghan admitting he liked wearing high heels? Remember when Pete Wentz publicly admitted to the media his pleasure in wearing Jessica Simpson's heels? That was sincere. So that effectively covers the celebrity segment of the population. So what are we waiting for? Are we going to sit on our roofs and wait for the Second Coming? For some type of revolution to get swept up in? It's just not going to happen like that! We have two of the most influential celebrity fashion designers repeatedly making public appearances wearing heels, we have beautiful celebrity females saying on National TV how they like guys in heels...heck we even have male celebrities admitting to the media how they like to wear high heels. Yet we still have people waiting for the next big break. Frankly, I think we are already there. There is this big myth that if only we had this, or we had that, then we would have public acceptance. Acceptance is already there, and it's waiting for you to tap into it, one person at a time. We have to accept where we are right now, and that means working with what the world has already blessed us with. Long may Heelfan wobble along in his charisma and charm, long may johnieheel continue to pioneer personal progress among family in rural Ohio, long may Shafted continue to wear his stiletto boots in rural Maine. I think these guys understand that the acceptance we want is already there, they know that it's tapped one person at a time and on an individual level. "Oh, that's Johnie, yeah he wears heels".... ....as for me, it's time to explore Stockholm next week! Woohooo!

understand where you're coming from, kneehighs. And, do agree that mainstream public exposure to men wearing heels is gathering energy, While not overly flamboyant, I do my part by wearing woman's shoes where ever I go. Speaking of Shafted, haven't heard from him in a long while. Is he ok and still actively wearing his boots at the movie theater? Would love to catch up with him one of these days. If you happen to exchange words with him, please give him my regards. :winkiss: Have a great trip and I can't wait to hear of your adventures. Be careful in Stockholm. Swedish women can cause severe whiplash while trying to look at all of them at the same time. :silly: (Any chance you'll run across some of our Swedish members while in country? (Trolldeg, for instance?)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

^ It was just an editorial.

But it's the SECOND time that the New York Times has exposed the public to the concept of men in heels. The other was the article on androgynous dressing, with a photo of a guy in 4" Zara stilettos.

And people here keep waiting for the next big break to happen? We already have Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens (2 of the biggest celebrity names in fashion) wearing heels and rising star Rad Hourani wearing heels.

We already have multiple well known fashion institutions giving their okay to men in heels: Dazed and Confused Print with it's edgy London individuality gave a thumbs up, Paris Vogue's fun loving spiritous depiction of Andre on the cover in heels, Elle.com's thumbs up to Rad Hourani's heels for men, Glamour.com's thumbs up to heels for men, I saw a well known stylist for Vogue U.S. wearing 4" Rick Owens heels (they were not chunky either as some argue is the only way to assimilation).

Positive media coverage already exists. Remember Evangeline Lilly's statement that she "doesn't mind a man in heels"? And her then boyfriend Dominic Monaghan admitting he liked wearing high heels? Remember when Pete Wentz publicly admitted to the media his pleasure in wearing Jessica Simpson's heels? That was sincere. So that effectively covers the celebrity segment of the population.

So what are we waiting for? Are we going to sit on our roofs and wait for the Second Coming? For some type of revolution to get swept up in? It's just not going to happen like that! We have two of the most influential celebrity fashion designers repeatedly making public appearances wearing heels, we have beautiful celebrity females saying on National TV how they like guys in heels...heck we even have male celebrities admitting to the media how they like to wear high heels.

Yet we still have people waiting for the next big break. Frankly, I think we are already there. There is this big myth that if only we had this, or we had that, then we would have public acceptance. Acceptance is already there, and it's waiting for you to tap into it, one person at a time. We have to accept where we are right now, and that means working with what the world has already blessed us with.

Long may Heelfan wobble along in his charisma and charm, long may johnieheel continue to pioneer personal progress among family in rural Ohio, long may Shafted continue to wear his stiletto boots in rural Maine. I think these guys understand that the acceptance we want is already there, they know that it's tapped one person at a time and on an individual level.

"Oh, that's Johnie, yeah he wears heels"....

....as for me, it's time to explore Stockholm next week! Woohooo!

Kneehighs,

I hear what you say, but for many the choice of footwear is just not there in their size. Bear in mind that the majority of womens shoes are not available in above EU42 and B witdh as well. This really does exclude and awfully large part of the male population. This really is a major issue as you see stuff you want, but cant wear. Gets fitted nasally if you know what I mean.

I would also say that whilst you can do 4" stiletto heels in London, try that in Glasgow or Newcastle and you won't feel nearly as comfortable, especially once the alcohol flows and inhibitions fly out of the window. No, it really is still in its infancy and hopefully more "A" list celebs take it up. If "Posh" got Becks into stiletto heels then it would be a done deal.

There is a time and place for stiletto heels. Get it right and you will have a great time, get it wrong and it may put you back years. After all, do you wear stiletto heels all the time? On your stockholm visit, which I sincerely hope you have a great time, will you wear your trusty 4 nine wests for your daytime tourist activities, or will it be a comfortable pair of sneakers and the 9west saved for hunting in the evening.

But you are so right, if you want to do it, and you think about the whole outfit as you do, then the time has never been better to able to wear stiletto heels as part of a mans outfit. Its even easier if you are happy to wear cuban heels in place of stiletto heels as I do (then it really is a no brainer).

TTFN

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.viona-art.com/pages/gothic/bands/cinemastrange.html

http://www.lastfm.pl/music/Cinema+Strange/+images

Although I've already linked a live pic of Cinema Strange several months ago, never mind posting more. Excellent music and show, IMO - I suggest going to a concert even if you aren't that keen on dark / gothic culture.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

I knew it! Long skirts do suit us and high heels too ^^ excellent selection, Kneehighs!

Hello friend,

If you like skirts and heels, take a look at this from the EU and U.S.

Equality in Fashions

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Skirtman/

post-5557-13352288934_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522889342_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522889346_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522889348_thumb.jpg

post-5557-13352288935_thumb.jpg

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

Somehow, combat boots just don't go with skirts, in my opinion. Lose the big heavy clunky footwear and substitute more form fitting heeled knee high boots, heeled sandals, or mules and I'm all for the new look. What do others think? GWL

Somehow, combat boots just don't go with skirts, in my opinion. Lose the big heavy clunky footwear and substitute more form fitting heeled knee high boots, heeled sandals, or mules and I'm all for the new look.

What do others think?

GWL

gwl1

I'm with you when it comes the ugly combat boots, I hate the look of heavy clunky footwear and they look out of place with skirts. I like to wear gogo boots with 3" heels with my skirts or kilts. I think many guys have a fear of being call gay if they wear "more form fitting heeled knee high boots, heeled sandals, or mules" I just got my new sandals and they look great with dark brown pantyhose and skirt or kilt. Here are some of the heels that I I have or wish to get, to wear with my hose and skirts at party's or around town clubing.

post-5557-133522889357_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522889358_thumb.jpg

post-5557-13352288936_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522889361_thumb.jpg

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

Somehow, combat boots just don't go with skirts, in my opinion. Lose the big heavy clunky footwear and substitute more form fitting heeled knee high boots, heeled sandals, or mules and I'm all for the new look.

What do others think?

GWL

There seems to me to be an idea amongst fashion designers that design clothing for men -- when they introduce elements from the "female" side of the shopping isle -- to couple anything feminine with something thick, massive and dark from the macho side, with heels, skirts, etc., in order to maintain the "stigmatic" sexual separation between female and male clothing identities. I think the entire look is irritating and uncomfortable to look at.... for long.

JeffB, Thighbootguy and HappyFeat and Kneehighs, and some others, in my opinion, do a lot better job of combining female gender specific clothing into acceptable outfits for male wear than a lot of the well known designers.

• 3 months later...

Elle Magazine, December 2009.

Elle gave a Hermes Scarf to 16 "Tastemakers" and told to make a look of their own.

This Guy, Marcus Holmlund, paired his with High Heeled Boots, also from Hermes.

He also has a fashion blog.

http://smokeandmirrorsblog.com/

post-1115-13352289666_thumb.jpg

In honor of this month’s Smoke & Mirrors feature in ELLE magazine (p. 340, December ‘09), “MH.edits” dissects the outfit I styled exclusively for the shoot as done in the “fashion focus” posts. So glad I had the opportunity to style myself – as myself! Having access to the unlimited racks of designer duds was a total dream come true. You’ll usually find me with a scarf somewhere on my person, so, when I was asked to assemble a look that included at least one Hermes scarf, I was set. Inspired by years of watching my favorite musicians incorporate scarves into their personal styles, my look was prompted by memories of Steven Tyler’s scarved mic stand, Janet Jackson’s handkerchief (from the “Alright” video), Mozart, Keith Richards, Prince, and Axl Rose’s headband. It was all about celebrating my love for music and fashion – which is what S&M’s all about. The result’s a combination of hard and soft, masculine and feminine, today and yesterday. An homage to rock & roll. Thanks again to everyone at ELLE for coining me a “tastemaker” and making the whole experience so enjoyable. Such an honor. (Cheers to my fellow featured bloggy baby, Krystal, at whatisrealityanyway)

1 Hermes polka dot silk scarf (worn as headband)

2 Corpus velvet motorcycle jacket

3 Ralph Lauren Collection silk organza blouse

4 Hermes silver collier ring

5 The Row french grey leather leggings

6 Hermes metallic brocade scarf (worn as handkerchief)

7 Chloe suede lace-up booties

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

I think he looks good, minus the head scarf and I think he looks fantastic.

Thanks for the news.

I WIN!

I had a bet with myself that My old friend kneehighs would be the first to respondto the Marcus post.

I am going out now to buy a new pair of boots!

:chuckle::yummy:

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 5 months later...

Elle Magazine, December 2009.

Elle gave a Hermes Scarf to 16 "Tastemakers" and told to make a look of their own.

This Guy, Marcus Holmlund, paired his with High Heeled Boots, also from Hermes.

He also has a fashion blog.

http://smokeandmirrorsblog.com/

He looks very feminine and is built to wear ANY style. I'm pretty sure that if he were to wear a dress and heels and I'd pass him in the street, I'd think that he is a she.

• 4 months later...

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/stiletto-studs-the-rise-of-men-in-heels-2395253/#photoViewer=1

122 comments and counting.

Tons of men at all the fashion weeks wearing heels. Few I've seen in stilettos, but beyond many in chunky heels and women's wedges.

After reading many of the comments from some of the young women, this seems to be what I have observed in public when I am viewed wearing high heels. It is pretty close, but I think most of the negative "reations" to me in high heels have been by younger women. Mature women seem to say live and let live.

you know, I find it so amusing the complete variety of mentalities of some of these women who just do not GET it about heels on men & how THEY were the very first to WEAR them!! (sure there are some do "get it" about the true history of men in heels & have no "problem" with that concept) but on the other side of the coin, a LOT of others do NOT-& boy does that show, it's almost as if the whole world of thiers would be all of sudden "turned upside down" if they "caught" THEIR men in ANY kind of high heel footwear hence this STEREOPTYPICAL image of what its always "supposed" to be to be a "man" in these days, as if in THESE days (the 21st. century) "today's man" is somehow more of a man than the men of centuries past (16th & 17th to be exact as to when men started wearing heels) what I'm trying to say say is when a woman says stuff like "no man of MINE" well then, what kind of man DID live in the 17th century, a "fake" kind of man maybe!!!:wave: to my own knowlege men HAVE always been male due to their gender in birth (birth anomolies no included here) so just because they COULD look good in heels why not let them TRY a style that THEY originally started!!