Mens Heels... Seriously....

edmondsean

Edmondsean,

Wow, you have certainly stirred the pot up here. Like many I can both agree and disagree with the points you raise.

However, I wonder if this is really the right forum for this sort of discussion. If I am reading this correctly you are keen to see mens fashion break out of its oh so boring mould, or indeed to get men to be keen to demand more choice be it footwear or whatever. Excellent.

Whilst you are at it, get them to spend time on personal hygene, grooming and presentation and so on, then when men stop being slobs, maybe change will come.

It has been pointed out to me on a couple of occasions when I have got up on my soapbox with similar arguements (not so eloquently expresed though), that the Heels4Men website was created to concentrate on the fashion aspect of heeled footwear for men wearing normal mens clothing.

Of course Kneehighs is quite right in that mens heeled footwear is already out there but it is only available in the premium market because those who have sufficient funds to afford YSL and so on also seem to not give a damn what society at large thinks.

Sadly I have to agree with kneehighs that the cheaper shoemakers are not going to try to rip off YSL because they are scarred of making a loss.

Seeing as mens heeled footwear died out in the French Revolution, other than riding boots, in essence mens shoes today are very similar to those of a 100 years ago. So what was it that caused the footwear manufacturers to take the plunge and produce the platforms and/or heeled shoes they did in the 70s? Men were conservative in their dressing then, even more so, so why did mens heeled footwear take off as it did. It wasn't a flop then, so why should it be so now?

Cheers,

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Edmondsean: Welcome to the board, its great to hear someones opionion and I hope that debating your point doesnt degrade to the level of flame war. I don't tend to keep up with fashion/etc, and I do not know that many drag queens/TV's in person, but as far as homosexual men I'll say that we've got an inaccurate reputation for having a high percentage of heel wearers. From my experience its most likely as low as the rate of heel wearers among straights. Most gay guys are interested in guys who look and act like guys. These are the guys who blend into the scenery and you don't notice as compared to the effemenate guys. It works about the same with normal lesbians vs the very butch lesbians. This is not taking into account the slightly higher percentage of guys who are kinky (and I know -alot- of them, hehe), and most of those guys have zero desire to wear heels in public. gotta run

(formerly known as "JimC")

....snip....

I know this because I was once a member here. I had the signature: "I can fight in heels". I even had comments about it. Long term members might remember me....

Oh I remember now, Misazeno: 忍者 the ninjutsu trained 20-something from MA. Who likes to frame conversations through a ninjutsu metaphor of fighting, CIA espionage, and concealment.

No surprises at the responses you are getting from others. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in selling your idea to the manufacturers. Just remember the manufacturers are not your opponents, so you don't want to kill and maim them.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Oh I remember now, Misazeno: 忍者 the ninjutsu trained 20-something from MA. Who likes to frame conversations through a ninjutsu metaphor of fighting, CIA espionage, and concealment.

No surprises at the responses you are getting from others. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in selling your idea to the manufacturers. Just remember the manufacturers are not your opponents, so you don't want to kill and maim them.

It all makes sense now.

I'll refrain.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

All I can say is that I wish Edmondsean luck with his mission to bring mens heels into the mainstream. In the meantime, I'll dress how I like, when I like. When someone asks why I wear heels and skirts I'll tell them the simple truth, "because I like to". If someone has a problem with that they can $%*& off.

Edmondsean Having followed this forum on and off for the past couple of years ; I agree with you that to avoid ridicule from non high heel fans, high heels for "men" need to be more "masculine" in appearence compared with the present offerings.I believe there is a genuine following among men for higher heels, but not the styles that would begin to pigeonhole them into social groups that they could be uneasy with. In my own experience wearing chunky/western/platform/retro heels between 4" and 7" have almost without exception brought nothing but admiring comments from both women (my wife ,her friends and family included) and broadminded heterosexual men.I accept that there is a time and place to participate in one's passion ; eg , i would not wear heels at functions where my wife was at work or situations that obviously demanded a certain protocol. However a night out with friends and family, shopping, cinema,holidays,travelling etc.; high heels every time. Who knows, in time, men in heels may become accepted fashion, but as it has been shown in the past, it needs several men in the public eye to set the trend but sadly most of todays male celebs lack the balls to be fashion pioneers ; they seem content to stick with earings, piercings,tattoos and ever changing hair styles. Anyway it is up to us who are already street heeling to carry on regardless ; stomping through Sainsbury's on a Saturday wearing 5" western boots feels just so so good.

• 2 weeks later...

The Truth: Get Over It

Let's face it. As long as crossdressers, transgendered, and homosexual people exist, high heels for men will always be a hard concept to be accepted as mainstream fashion

Remedy: A plan to make it happen...

I do believe however, that the only thing that should dictate what gender an article of clothing is for, is the anatomy that it is made for...

Traitors!!!

I've read quite a few articles of crossdressers, drag queens, and homosexuals who do not want to see this trend move forward.

Ok I have edited your post to quote what I want to disagree with you on.

On your "Get over it" section, do not blame the GLBT community or crossdressers for SOCIETIES CLOSED MIND. What keeps mens heels from being accepted is society not the GLBT community or crossdressers.

In your "Remedy" section, Clothes are clothes and shoes are shoes there is no gender to them. Pants are pants regardless if they are men or womens and shoes are shoes regardless if they are men or womens. They do what clothing and shoes are supposed to so why "gender-Label" as I like to call it.

And your "traitors" section really annoyed me. Crossdressers want to be accepted, do you think they like going out and being harassed and belittled when they get read. So please tell me why they would be sabotaging the "man heel" also NOT EVERY male homosexual wears womens shoes or clothing. In fact the majority of crossdressing is done by straight men. Drag Queens could careless, a drag queen is supposed to be an overexageration of the feminine form in a comedic fashion.

I wear what I want. I wear womens shoes of all styles. I'm not in it for fashion, or whats popular. I don't want heels designed for my size and shape. I'll wear highheels, low heels, strappy heels, and open toe heels. I don't need to be told what I can wear. I wear fiminine footwear because thats what I like.

Yes, this is the proverbial bottom line. I wear high heels because they are comfortable on my feet and I love the way they look. They are pretty shoes and I love wearing pretty shoes with my men's clothing. The more I am out in high heels, the more no-reactions and positive reactions I recieve. Like t-strap lover says, this is what I like.

• 3 months later...

back in the summer i saw a style of shoe come into fashion for men that could poke a hole in your guidelines, i couldnt find the exact style but these Nike Sunyassi are very similar, the only difference were they had a stitch down the front next to the big toe. I saw them on some of the lads down the pub, okay i know theyre not heels but bring back the style and start adding the infamous Nike springs and all that jazz and you've got wedge heels creeping up . I guess my point is you can go against some of the guide whilst sticking to the gender labelling, you just have to twist it.

Well I'm a cross dresser and I'd love to see more guys wearing heels... in fact I dream about it becoming mainstream. I don't have my lifestyle to be "individual" if I did why would I want to look like any other woman out there? I like to present as a woman from time to time that's all. I just like wearing the clothes and of course the heels. The thing is, most of us aren't really bothered about what looks right we're more concerned about wearing what we want to wear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

After all the grand standing, soap boxing, hashing, and rehashing in this thread, Dr Shoe has given the definitive reply for all of us.

"The thing is, most of us aren't really bothered about what looks right we're more concerned about wearing what we want to wear."

I care about what I want to wear AND how I look like, so all garments, hair, boots / shoes, makeup and nail polish must go well together. My personal view about fashion is that it's a form of art, its function is to express my feeling and aesthetic preferrences rathen than to impres other people. So, I should be the only person to decide what I want to wear.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I am a man who wears heels, seriously. Is there any other point? Some good comments in the OP. Good luck to you and your efforts, though I believe the world is best changed one heeler at a time.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.