Heeling on college campuses

heelma

Two years ago, I really enjoyed heeling through college campuses. I am certainly older than college age, but slowly approaching 40. However, I tried to fit by wearing long jeans and a blue sweat-jacket with hat. Whoever is around there is more open and certainly not impolite as it may happen somewhere else. Also, I must acknowledge that the challenge of walking on not completely even terrain, particularly with platforms, gives me a special thrill. College campuses often offer this. Now after VA Tech last year, I am wondering though if I would look suspicious and raise security concerns. Obviously, I don't want to get asked by police what I am doing there, as I don't belong to the college. Of course, I could explain everything quite easily and would hopefully let go immediately, but it's clearly a situation to be avoided. What is your take on this?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Two years ago, I really enjoyed heeling through college campuses. I am certainly older than college age, but slowly approaching 40. However, I tried to fit by wearing long jeans and a blue sweat-jacket with hat. Whoever is around there is more open and certainly not impolite as it may happen somewhere else. Also, I must acknowledge that the challenge of walking on not completely even terrain, particularly with platforms, gives me a special thrill. College campuses often offer this.

Now after VA Tech last year, I am wondering though if I would look suspicious and raise security concerns. Obviously, I don't want to get asked by police what I am doing there, as I don't belong to the college. Of course, I could explain everything quite easily and would hopefully let go immediately, but it's clearly a situation to be avoided.

What is your take on this?

Find somewhere else more suitable....... :o

I walked from the next town back home last night in 4" stiletto's. It's a little over 2 miles, and took circa 50 minutes. Walked along some of the worst terrain I've ever experienced. For some of it, I walked along (empty) roads because the pavement was in such poor condition. This morning I've woken with a very sore foot where it got bruised walking last night ... I don't think I'll be doing that a third time. [Did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.] Wearing platforms would have been a wise move, I now know, but the one pair I might have worn are too attractive to wreck in 4x4 country .... :roll:

But your problem is being somewhere that might be inappropriate even if you didn't have high heels on. :-?

But your problem is being somewhere that might be inappropriate even if you didn't have high heels on. :roll:

Hi. Why is it inappropriate to walk around on college campuses? As long as I don't do anything illegal there, I thought campuses are public ground.

And as I said, the big advantage there is that the people there are usually more open to the idea than in a store or in a small town on the streets.

Hi. Why is it inappropriate to walk around on college campuses? As long as I don't do anything illegal there, I thought campuses are public ground.

And as I said, the big advantage there is that the people there are usually more open to the idea than in a store or in a small town on the streets.

I responded after reading this: >>

I am certainly older than college age, but slowly approaching 40. However, I tried to fit by wearing long jeans and a blue sweat-jacket with hat.

Now after VA Tech last year, I am wondering though if I would look suspicious and raise security concerns. Obviously, I don't want to get asked by police what I am doing there, as I don't belong to the college. Of course, I could explain everything quite easily and would hopefully let go immediately, but it's clearly a situation to be avoided.

You are not a student. You are not young enough to qualify for 'typical' student profile. Already you stand out.

Walk around in high heels too, you are asking to be approached by security staff. True, the students may not be bothered either by your age, nor footwear, but they aren't being paid to look for people who don't 'fit'.

If getting a 'tug' by security staff is to be avoided, then maybe avoid it? :roll:

I'm happy for you to give the College grounds a whirl in heels. But you asked of opinions, and I've passed you mine. As I indicated above, they must be more suitable places available, surely?

Like hovefly said, if you want to pursue this further, there must be a college class that would be of interest to you and you would have to get a student ID, parking pass, etc. Then, depending how bold you feel, maybe even attend a class in high heels. The sky's the limit. It is so very sad what happened at Virginia Tech and other institutions where random shootings have occurred. And due to those incidents, securities everywhere have beefed up. That is why something so innocent as wearing high heels, depending on the locale, could sadly be misconstrued as suspicious.

While you're not doing anything illegal, your appearance in heels is out of line with mainstream students who (unfortunately) are NOT seen wearing heels very often, not even women. So you will stand out as different, and will be a lightning rod to attract security inquiries. If I were a security guard on campus and knew nothing of this forum or that guys like to wear heels, I'd surely ask what you were doing on campus. If you couldn't produce an ID card, you'd be asked to leave real fast. I agree with Hoverfly. His advice is excellent. Sign up for a course (theater, maybe? Then you could say you're studying costuming!), get an ID card, and then you BELONG on campus and can wear whatever you like with impunity. Besides, you might enjoy the education, learn something valuable, make new friends, and definitely enjoy the freedom of wearing heels everywhere. It's a small price to pay for safety, I think. GWL

Heelma, you can do anything you want to do, go anywhere you want to go and wear your heels anywhere you want to wear them. However, choose wisely because actions do have consequences. And, if youi chose to walk around a college campus where you don't belong, then, you are subject to pay the price for your foolhardiness. All I can say is Go for it. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Theoretically you do have the right to do anything you want as long as it is not illegal. However, with the number of "random"shootings in the US, anything that looks "out of the ordinary" is subject to scrutiny without recourse. That can include a man wearing high heels as the majority of the population in most countries views that as abnormal.

I will echo Hoverfly’s advice and sign up for a class and Gwl1 also offered a good suggestion about choosing theater but I will give you a different reason.

I worked on a university campus for 27 years. A university is a collection of warring camps that fight over the limited funding available. Each department, (Business, Math, Art, Science) is generally segregated from the other departments and each one has its own stereotypical collection of people.

Digression: One of the university presidents I worked was very interested in having a diverse student body and he spent a lot of money on “foreign student” scholarships. I offered him a serious suggestion that he could accomplish much of the same thing by holding business classes (for the business students) in the art building. The mixing of those two diverse cultures would have been good for both the business students and then art students. The idea never got off the ground because he correctly pointed out the faculty would never do it.

Second digression: I once was giving a talk to university folks on desktop publishing and I gave them an “art test” that didn’t require them to draw a picture of a pirate. I told them to walk around in the fine art building for a little while and if they didn’t feel too out of place, they probably were an artist

If there is anyplace that would accept heels its the fine art department of a university campus. Be ready for a very aggressive but tolerant bunch of folks (remember these folks don’t think twice about getting up on a stage).

On the campus where I worked, we catered to “non traditional” students so someone in their 40s (and older) would fit right in.

As far as security goes, I left the university 8 years ago so I don’t have a feel for the current level of campus security but 8 years ago, If you didn’t behave badly, no one would have stopped you.

One additional thought, theater, art, and music departments are always having shows and performances that are open to the public. Many are free or the cost just covers the expense.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I completly agree that it is the security staff that would be your problem. It would be wise to find other outlets or to join a class so you belong when confronted. Because with today's security it is a matter of when not if for a confrontaion. Take it from someone who has had to undergo security training when I work in a retirment home and yes we have had to use it.

While I agree that most college age kids are very open to unusual things (the naked man at I believe UC Berkly some years ago) on campus put them with a bunch of non-college people off campus and you may find some differances.

Take it easy and give thought to all our ideas and concerns; I'm sure in the long run you will find what suits you best.

T&H

P.S. UC Berkly added a rule about clothes on campus not too long after he was attending classes.

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

I completly agree that it is the security staff that would be your problem. It would be wise to find other outlets or to join a class so you belong when confronted. Because with today's security it is a matter of when not if for a confrontaion. Take it from someone who has had to undergo security training when I work in a retirment home and yes we have had to use it.

While I agree that most college age kids are very open to unusual things (the naked man at I believe UC Berkly some years ago) on campus put them with a bunch of non-college people off campus and you may find some differances.

Take it easy and give thought to all our ideas and concerns; I'm sure in the long run you will find what suits you best.

T&H

P.S. UC Berkly added a rule about clothes on campus not too long after he was attending classes.

All it will take is threating of a lawyer and such policies ans minds will be modified or change even cause security guards to think twice. If want to wear heels in public you got to be ready to defend your self. If not you and other will be noting but freaks to others.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Actually I don't think there is a problem with walking across a college campus. Unless the college is extremely small I don't think anyone would notice including security. Besides, most colleges are accustomed to the "nontraditional student", those over the age of 30. I started my undergrad in 1992 when I was 38 and I'm back at the same school for my master degree. There is a large number of nontraditionals on campuses today, and with the array of issues that security has to deal with I believe that a person wearing alternative footwear would not rate too high on their list of things to worry about. Enjoy yourself and don't worry so much.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Since the VA Tech shooting, I would not be surprised if suspicious folks are more likely to be questioned. That said though, my alma mater probably wouldn't have given a second thought to anyone walking on the grounds or through the student union. I've gone to the bookstore and to the theaters after I graduated and no longer had a student ID, but all was fine. You might raise more eyebrows if you go into other buildings where classrooms are, but if you are just wearing high heels I can't believe the security folks would single you out for just walking across the grounds. Just keep your other clothes on :roll: . Unless signs are actually posted saying only students, faculty or employees are permitted, then I don't think there would be a problem.

Here are my thoughts... I am a college professor at a very small, not-so-diverse college. However, in my journey to become a professor, I have been to many, many universities. First, pick a school that is fairly cosmopolitan. A university in a major city like Ohio State (in Columbus) or the main campus of the University of Pittsburgh are fairly urban and in many ways blend into the city. Most large campuses have a fringe community with business that cater to students that surround the campus that have no affiliation with the school. As far as on campus, it is true that universities and colleges have a heightened awareness of security; however it is mainly lip service bing paid to the issue. Most universities know that what makes universities great is that they are open, and places of diversity of thought and experience. I seriously doubt that you would ever be labeled "suspicious" for just being there, no matter what you are wearing. In fact, in the spring there will be many others who appear stranger than you! On campus, the library is a great place to go for heeling. I have done this many times in many different places. Most university libraries serve the public as well since they are major research institutions. You will also never be thrown out of a bookstore. Student unions are pretty open. I do not suggest that you wander classroom buildings or dorms. You could also attend a campus event such as a lecture, concert, movie, gallery, etc. Those are also usually open to the general public. You could also have a backup story of why you are there such as planning on enrolling or something. Just relax and enjoy!

Style is built from the ground up!

HappyFeat has the right of it. Campuses are open, and they're not likely to stop you---so long as it's a medium- to large-sized, semi-cosmopolitan university. It really depends on what kind of campus it is. If you're going many miles out of your way to an ugly, small campus, that's suspicious. If it's nearby, nice campus, then it's perfectly reasonable for you to enjoy taking a walk there. Try to avoid bringing up keywords like VTech. That was a student committing the crime. Almost every major incident on a college campus involves a student committing crimes. (Of course, almost every person on a college campus is a student, which does bias the statistics quite a bit.)

Thanks for all the responses! I would like to clarify a couple of things: First of all, when I was talking about heeling on college campuses, I referred to walking outside only - not in buildings, definitely not classrooms or dorms. But thank you very much for the hint with the library - if ever ask, I would mention that or a book store I would be searching for. Also, I am really trying not to be totally bold. I usually wear super long jeans and a sweater with hat. The jeans cover the heels pretty well, though when I wear heels with 2" platforms, it's still visible. Anyway, I don't think I am too striking when walking there. In the first replies here though I got the impression that security could kick me out just for not belonging there. Isn't the same argument true for other areas to go heeling, such as shopping malls? Yes, I don't need a student ID there to proof I belong to the college; in a mall, I could simply say I want to go to that and that store. But from my understanding, college campuses are open to the public in a not that different way than malls. In contrast, if it's a state college, then it's public, isn't it? Shopping malls, on the other hand, are privately owned, and if anyone is bothered by me, they could also ask me to leave there, couldn't they?

You make a very good point about the public/private issues. State universities are more likely to be open than private institutions. However, even a privately owned business like a shopping mall would have to be careful in who they asked to leave. The private business argument (a private business can choose who they will serve) was used as the defense for the Jim Crowe laws. So, unless you are doing something illegal, even a private establishment would have a difficult time expelling you from the premises. Remember though, many states, localities still have archaic laws that may be interpreted against you, such as prohibition against crossdressing, sodomy laws, etc. Most places of business would car less about what you wear than if you are buying. As a case in point I have tried on many pair of heels while shopping. Most clerks are totally nonchalant, while others are very helpful. In any case, if you are discreet, nobody notices or even cares about most things that involve them directly. Be as bold as you like!

Remember though, many states, localities still have archaic laws that may be interpreted against you, such as prohibition against crossdressing, sodomy laws, etc.

Any idea how this is in NY state? I thought so far that NY is progressive enough not to have those kind of laws (anymore).

Actually, In New York they would be too busy policing the conduct of the governors (and possibly Rudy Gulliani) to care too much about what you are doing. :roll: Interestingly enough, it is the northeast that has the bulk of the archaic laws (lack banning playing baseball on Sundays) simply because they are the oldest states with laws that go back to pre-revolutionary times. In the end however, I think you would be pretty safe in most places in urban areas in New York. Just watch out for the ice and snow...

I've been reading this thread with interest, not least because I contributed earlier.....

It's an interesting debate, with the apparent conclusion .. .there isn't one.

I thought this was a potential opportunity to walk out in heels, if it seemed like it was going to be something that was completely safe to do? The longer the debate goes on, the less safe it seems? :o

I walked around Cambridge (yep, that one) last Monday in 4" (girls) cowboy boots. Yes the tops look like regular (men's) boots, but the heel height (which was not well hidden) and the way I had to walk in them made it plain enough I was wearing 'heels'. The only people I saw looking (all both of them) were high school aged children.

If ever I'm going to get verbal abuse, I'm 100% sure it's going to be from teens or certainly 15-21 year olds. My experience tells me, once young people get a bit of exposure to the Real World, their inclination to irritate other adults wears off.

Heelma:

Your decision (should you choose to make it <nod to Mission Impossible>) is going to be based around one single criteria: Do you think you can pull it off?

You certainly will not get the definitive answer here, as there are too many variables. Or at least it looks that way ..... ?

I believe the only way to find out one way or the other, is to do it. :roll:

Heelma! There is one way to answer your delima -- put on your heels and walk around the campus and see what happens. After reading some input from other people, I now doubt that you will be bothered at all. So, go for it. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've spent a few years heeling around my university campus. Below were the types of shoes and reactions: - Wedge loafers, 3" heel, 1/2" platform: never really any comments about these. Only one was from a guy friend (who's not open minded) who just said while he was walking behind me, "look at you with the italian loafers..who are you all dressed up for?" - chunky heel oxfords (looked more like goth shoes): one girl was talking to me in the hallway before class and we were both standing. She stopped in mid-sentence, said "you look taller today" then looked down and said "oh ur wearing platforms"...and then just continued talking - girl flip flops: no one had ever made a comment about these....just maybe a comment that they liked the color (such as when I wore my turquoise ones from old navy)

Fascinating to see the American take on this. I'm based in an English city that has three city universities (used to be four, but two of them merged), a student population approaching six figures, and arguably the highest student density in Europe. No campuses per se, just very high densities of university buildings in some areas. It's extremely relaxed. If it wasn't for the high chance that I'd meet some business clients, I'd cheerfully go street heeling there. I just wouldn't go far out of the "campus" area, as it's right next to some of the roughest areas of the city. As for security... to be honest, the more unusual someone's appearance, the *less* likely they are to be a security threat. Ever come across a thief wearing high heels? They'd never be able to run if chased! And the majority of the random shootings are from people who just look absolutely normal - which I suspect is what scares people so much.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I had a slightly unusual experience on a University campus last night; specifically, it was in the library.

I went in to get some books, left my bag by a desk and set off to find the books I wanted. It took me rather longer than I had anticipated, so it was quite a while until I went back to my bag. There wasn't much in the bag, just a few items of stationary, pieces of paper, a bicycle lock, that sort of thing. Oh, and these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21259299@N07/2480449090/

When I returned, intending to put on the shoes and continue my search since the library was quite empty by that time, I found my bag had gone. I searched frantically for it, but couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually I went to the security desk and asked if anyone had handed it in.

They asked me to describe the bag, then when I had, exchanged amused and slightly incredulous glances. They then made me describe the contents of the bag, lingering slightly on the shoes, before returning it to me and lecturing on me on leaving my belongings unattended.

I blustered a half-hearted claim that they weren't my shoes, at which they all stifled a small giggle, then attempted to maintain my dignity by walking slowly back into the library. I could hear them whispering and laughing as I walked away. The female of the three seemed the most sympathetic, she even gave me a small wave and a wink when I saw her again later, but I'll keep my things with me at all times from now on!

Or I'll just wear them, that would be far easier...

Fascinating to see the American take on this.

I would assume that any American issue would be fascinating to anybody outside the U.S. At them moment, it seems that the U.S. has lost our collective minds, but what is at work here is two-fold, the fear of anybody else who is even slightly different for security reasons and the fear of anybody else who is slightly different for cultural reasons.

Amazingly, this is nothing new, just getting a lot more attention today. Universities and college seem to be overreacting to the security threats on campuses in really silly ways. Yes Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, etc. are horrible and scary. However, it was in the 1950's that a shooter shot several people from a tower at the University of Texas, and a mass murder took place at North Carolina State (I think) in the 60's. But at the same time students were shot by police at South Carolina State and by the Army at Kent State. Don't let anybody kid you, Universities in the US are in the money making business. Unless little Johnny can be GUARENTEED to be safe, parents aren't as likely to send him to college. So any concern about behavior on campus is justified.

However, wearing high heels is very unlikely to be considered a security threat by legitimate, trained security personnel. As you have pointed out:

As for security... to be honest, the more unusual someone's appearance, the *less* likely they are to be a security threat. Ever come across a thief wearing high heels? They'd never be able to run if chased! And the majority of the random shootings are from people who just look absolutely normal - which I suspect is what scares people so much.

On the other hand, there is this huge swelling of cultural oppression also going on. Some call it the "Culture War." For example, a national debate is whether we can OR should discriminate against homosexuals. Many of the people who debate the should part would see no difference between a man in heels and a homosexual, though all of use here know there is a BIG difference. At the wrong college with the wrong people running the show, they would have no issue of using a "security threat" as an excuse to fight their war.

However, I think that most of this has been covered in the thread. Simply put, stay away from more conservative institutions, conduct some business, and just relax and have fun. Frankly, University campuses are one of the last places in the U.S. where individuality is not only accepted but revered.

Heelma! There is one way to answer your delima -- put on your heels and walk around the campus and see what happens. After reading some input from other people, I now doubt that you will be bothered at all. So, go for it. :roll:

Bubba136 is absolutly correct!

Thanks Happyfeat. The Poste Mistress shoes are definitely my favourite pair, a recent purchase and I love them! Thanks, Gary0618. I actually got the brown Mary Janes in Asda, which shows how classy I am! They were only £12, though, and fit beautifully, so I could hardly refuse to buy them. Presumably that means you won't be able to get them in the U.S. Walmart, perhaps, who own Asda? Do they sell shoes?