Mini-Heelmeet proposal: Watford 5th April

euchrid

Hello high-heeling peeps,

To follow up on a couple of recent threads, and the popularity of the idea - as expressed by some attendees of the International Heelmeet on 16.02.08 -, I hereby propose a Mini-Heelmeet:-

Date: Saturday 5th April 08

Venue: Watford town centre

My timing suggestion is from mid-afternoon to mid/late evening (say 2:00 til 10:30).

That allows a few hours for a shopping expedition, plus plenty of post-shopping time for that all-important pub/meal relaxation and some ‘hours of darkness’ heel wearing time.

If others want to get there a bit earlier/leave earlier – well that’s fine by me also – I’ve simply put the suggestion out there for feedback.

For those in the know, Watford has a fairly sizable shopping centre, which will be open until 6:00pm (www.theharlequin.uk.com). There’s a few other shops dotted about in and around the high street that might also be worth a visit and there’s the usual selection of pubs & eateries. If anyone has some local knowledge, perhaps they can give us a few pointers on decent watering holes & out of the way places worth checking out.

Here’s hoping you can make it. ;)

Always High-Heel Responsibly

That date doesn't work for me or I might have looked into coming. Its during my easter break so I'll be back at home in London (or possibly in Aberdeen) rather than at university in Cambridge. My parents only sort of know about my heels thing so it would be rather awkward.

That date doesn't work for me or I might have looked into coming. Its during my easter break so I'll be back at home in London (or possibly in Aberdeen) rather than at university in Cambridge. My parents only sort of know about my heels thing so it would be rather awkward.

Aberdeen would be a stretch, but Watford is easy to get to from London. :cool1:

I'm happy to meet up during the afternoon without heels, and game for just about anything after sunset. [This venue is about as close to home as I would care to make it.]

I'm in. :wave:;)

Excellent - that's three of us so far then - a great start! "One for all, & all for one!!!" ;):cool1::wave: Are there any any other takers? I'll give it a few days then I'll start firing off some PM's & e-mails to alert those who might not be checking into HHP all that regularly.

Probably. I think I should be OK. Funnily enough though, I'm the exact opposite to you lot. I prefer to wear heels in daylight. There's so many groups of feral drunken yobs around town centres after dark these days.

I prefer to wear heels in daylight. There's so many groups of feral drunken yobs around town centres after dark these days.

A couple of years ago now but ......

Myself and my good lady were sitting on one of the upper floor balcony’s enjoying a fairly expensive cup of coffee one Saturday afternoon. A young lady and her thug boyfriend walked past on their way to the car parks. She had some boots on and some tassels that caught my eye. Nothing earth shattering, but certainly eye-catching with bits of leather moving around.

After he walked past me, he turned and asked what I was looking at. My preferred answer was "Her boots, dummy!" but I went for the rather more obvious "Her boots." He started gobbing off about me being queer or some sort of perv. I stood up and confronted him, asking if there was a problem. After a moment or two, we decided we weren't going to start a fight in the middle of a shopping centre. He walked off, I went and sat down.

He was obviously a jealous sort, but amusingly, I couldn't have picked her face out of a line up if my life depended on it. My only interest was her boots. [As many here will understand.]

I got a gentle 'I told you so' reminder from her good self, with a comment like "I keep telling you looking at girls shoes is going to get you into trouble ....." Which didn't make me feel any happier.

Anyway, the moral of this anecdote is, you can find trouble anywhere, if you look hard enough.

I stood up and confronted him, asking if there was a problem.

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din ! ;)

Are you well practiced in the martial arts perhaps?

I am going to try to work something out to get to Watford, no promises though

Cool. Would be great to see you there. ;)

If you want to squeeze in a mini-meet beforehand (in Aylesbury, MK or somewhere else nearby) let me know.

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din !

Are you well practiced in the martial arts perhaps?

Not at all. ;)

I was with my wife, and while being many unattractive things to her (untidy, lazy, easily distracted) the one thing she is never going to think of me as, is 'afraid'. I'd sooner get my ass whipped than her think she ever has to worry about me backing down in a confrontational situation.

As I mentioned in my 'day out' thread, men with women usually get 'extra' respect because we (rightly) don't want to risk upsetting a man with his girl. In the situation detailed above, I didn't look at her, and certainly didn't look at him. But it would seem he was unnaturally keen to 'stake his claim' in her ownership. [Men like this are very dangerous, to the women, as well as other men.] Once challenged, I wasn't going to sit down and pretend I hadn't been 'called' in front of my wife. True, she would rather the whole situation hadn't happened, but at least I wasn't seen by her to back-down. I'm sure you would have reacted in much the same way.....

It's not the first time I'd had a ding-dong in Watford either. Had a spot of bother in Kings Car Park once, with someone having moved too close to my car for me to reverse into a space.... Lotsa shouting, but no physical stuff.

It's not that I look tough, but I do look like a 'pyscho'. :wave:And there are camera's everywhere. :cool1:

I've written it down on my calendar. Not sure how I will be getting there yet .... maybe I'll drive the 80 miles to Firefox's. Otherwise, I'll take the train. Xa

Cool. Would be great to see you there. ;)

If you want to squeeze in a mini-meet beforehand (in Aylesbury, MK or somewhere else nearby) let me know.

Let me know when you're next in MK if at all, and we'll try to meet for a coffee and/or a chat.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Let me know when you're next in MK if at all, and we'll try to meet for a coffee and/or a chat.

Will do. Next weekend may be a possible.

Once the missus has firmed-up her weekend plans, i'll know what options are left for me (if any! :cool1: ). Will drop you a PM as soon as I know more. ;)

euchrid From this report of your first heel meet in 2006 to organizing meets in 2008!

Talk about progress...:cool1:

Cheers Kneehighs,

Yeah, I'm surprising myself. I've probably worn heels more in the last 2 years than I did in the preceeding 20! It's all thanks to you and the other Heelmeet guys for inspiring me and giving me the confidence to do it.

I feel that the mini-meets are something that all us heelers should make an effort to organise and/or attend. Face-to-face meetings with likeminded guys is invaluable to people who are in the position that I used to be in. I was nervous, scared, afraid, worried, ashamed, embarrassed, etc.

Those feelings are not wholly gone but thanks to the interaction with other heel-wearing guys, they have far less influence on me and do not 'control' this part of my life any more.

I have an 'interest' - that's all. It's not a common one, granted. But so what. It's just a fashion choice, right! ;)

******* UPDATE *******

It looks like this Meet is going to be a go-er, then. Excellent!

We have 4 confirmed attendees so far [myself, xaphod, fastfreddy2, thedesigner] plus 2 possible attendees [firefox, shyguy].

Some more meet-up information is as follows:-

Date: Saturday 5th April

Rendezvous time: 2:00pm

Rendezvous place: Caffe Nero, 100-102 High St, Watford.

The plan will be to grab a coffee, wait for everyone to arrive, do introductions + catching up, etc. :wave:

Once everyone is assembled & the caffeine has hit our systems, we can blitz the shopping centre & any parts of the High Street that look interesting.

That done, we can find a decent restaurant / gastropub to relax and re-fuel. ;)

The evening will probably be spent wandering around in search of a half-decent pub. :cool1:

I know little about Watford nightlife but I understand that “The Parade” area hosts all the usual youth-oriented hangouts and is highly likely to be thronging with binge-drinking louts & ladettes. It goes without saying, we’ll be steering well clear of it!

The bottom end of the High Street apparently offers more traditional pubs so that’s where we’ll probably head for.

Again, if anyone has better knowledge of Watford than me (not hard!), I’m open to itinerary suggestions. If anyone wants my mobile tel. no., drop me a PM.

My experience of Watford on a Saturday, is as follows;

2-6pm:

Busy shopping town centre that includes Harlequin Centre. This is a two layer indoor shopping delight with all the usual High Street stores. Shoe shops include; Barratts, Dune, Faith, Ravel, Clarkes, Stead and Simpson. There is at least one other (rather expensive) shop that I can't recall the name of. The large John Lewis branch stocks Nine West and Carvela.

There are several coffee shops located at regular intervals throughout the main shopping walks, where watching people (shoes) moving past is unavoidable as Saturday is a particularly busy day there. Parking is easy, and much cheaper than in London. I'm not sure when the main [Kings/Queen] car parks close. There are others around that are open 24/7 IIRC.

The Watford Market is best avoided, unless your sense of smell has left you.

The High Street has no notable shoe or clothe shops I'm aware of, with the single exception of shop possibly only 50 yards from the main entrance to the Harlequin. From the front it looks like a regular boutique, but has (or had) shoes on the back wall I can only describe as of "stripper" interest. :cool1:

6-7pm:

After the shop workers have been collected or found their way home, there is a general lull in activity.

7pm and later:

The High Street activates its 'chav' gene and many young [18-30] boys and girls are found walking up and down the upper end of the cobbled street with an insatiable appetite for alcohol. Fortunately for any voyeur, skirts are short and heels are high. Hearing aids are best left switched off, as language is both basic and colourful. Police presence everywhere, which seems to be a deterrent that works as I've never seen any trouble there. During summer months, it's possible to eat and drink outside, with many entertaining sights around.

We used to eat in Watford Town Centre fairly regularly, but 'herself' tired of the queuing for food, and bulging bars. Not a problem in summer, but not so pleasant in winter. I've no experience of bars/restaurants closer to the Harlequin at night. [Lower end of the High Street.] There is an Ask [italian] restaurant close to the middle of the streets length, but has no opportunity for watching the world walk past. We now go to either TGI Fridays in Garston, or Chiquito's not far from that, neither benefits from 'through' traffic. All three of these places are busy at the weekend.

As before, I'll be wearing regular shoes during daylight hours, and wedges at night. This place is practically on my doorstep, and prudence demands I take some care not to be seen/caught with inappropriate footwear by friends/family and customers alike.

Not long now ...... ;)

2-6pm:

Busy shopping town centre that includes Harlequin Centre... There is at least one other (rather expensive) shop that I can't recall the name of

It all sounds good to me. The shop you're thinking of is a Gordon Scott / Jones the Bootmaker I reckon

The large John Lewis branch stocks Nine West and Carvela.

Excellent!

The Watford Market is best avoided, unless your sense of smell has left you.

I agree. Only shoe stall there appears to be a 'wide-fitting granny shoes' type place. www.watfordmarket.co.uk/wm_wilson.shtml

From the front it looks like a regular boutique, but has (or had) shoes on the back wall I can only describe as of "stripper" interest.

Well worth a visit then! :wave:

7pm and later:

The High Street activates its 'chav' gene and many young [18-30] boys and girls are found walking up and down the upper end of the cobbled street with an insatiable appetite for alcohol.

It's not exactly the Paris Latin Quarter is it? Then again, where in the UK urban environment can you go to avoid that scene these days? It weren't like it in my youth. ;)

I've found this place online. www.loadofhay.co.uk

Not ideal for a bunch of straight guys, but it may offer us a safe haven if the entire town centre is found to be swarming with knuckle-scraping Neanderthals. They do a decent steak 'n chips apparently. And -thank the lord- male stripper nights is on Sundays!

As before, I'll be wearing regular shoes during daylight hours, and wedges at night.

I'm hoping to be a bit braver and will get the 4" heels out at some point (after bit of amber nectar refreshment probably :cool1: ). I know i'm safe as far as seeing family members there is concerned. I don't think any work collegues are likely to be there - can't rule that out 100% though.

Not long now ...

Still too long for me! There's a dull bank holiday to get through first.

Thanks for the PM euchrid but unfortunately I'm working nights that weekend so I won't be able to come. Although, my old work colleagues are having a shindig on Friday 4th so I'm tempted to take that weekend off, so I may change my mind but I'm trying to avoid using up my holiday so quickly, so I will say no for now.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Hi - I will do my best to be there! Will be my first HHPlace meeting! What are you planning on wearing - I will probably leave the thigh boots at home (as I would wear them under trousers in any case) - will probably opt for one of my new pairs of Aldos! ;)

******* UPDATE *******

We have 4 confirmed attendees so far [myself, xaphod, fastfreddy2, thedesigner] plus 2 possible attendees [firefox, shyguy].

The plan will be to grab a coffee, wait for everyone to arrive, do introductions + catching up, etc. :wave:

Once everyone is assembled & the caffeine has hit our systems, we can blitz the shopping centre & any parts of the High Street that look interesting.

That done, we can find a decent restaurant / gastropub to relax and re-fuel. ;)

The evening will probably be spent wandering around in search of a half-decent pub. :cool1:

I know little about Watford nightlife but I understand that “The Parade” area hosts all the usual youth-oriented hangouts and is highly likely to be thronging with binge-drinking louts & ladettes. It goes without saying, we’ll be steering well clear of it!

The bottom end of the High Street apparently offers more traditional pubs so that’s where we’ll probably head for.

Again, if anyone has better knowledge of Watford than me (not hard!), I’m open to itinerary suggestions. If anyone wants my mobile tel. no., drop me a PM.

Oh go on then, count me in!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

******* UPDATE *******

The countdown begins! T-minus 6 days:

Attendees list is currently---

5 confirmed [myself, xaphod, fastfreddy2, thedesigner, Dr Shoe]

1 probable [shakedown]

3 possible [firefox, shyguy, thighboots]

Again, the meet-up information is;

PM me if you wish to exchange mobile tel. numbers. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Any HHP lurkers thinking of attending will also be warmly welcomed. That’s if they introduce themselves - lurking in real life will be frowned upon!

The secret HHP phrase that you must use for identification purposes is “I bet my heels are higher than yours” (only kidding) ;)

I'm very much looking forward to meeting up, and I'll certainly be more relaxed than I was at The Miller.

Not that I expect it to stop me 'gushing'. :cool1:

A reminder to lurkers .... I'll be there in my flatties during the day <this venue is waay too close to home for daylight posing> so don't feel like there's pressure to wear heels.

Though attractive heels will of course be VERY welcome. :wave:

The evening sesh' will something else entirely (for me). I have acquired something like 15 pairs of heels since February and am somewhat spolied for choice. I expect to go home with very sore feet. ;)

******* UPDATE *******

The plan will be to grab a coffee, wait for everyone to arrive, do introductions + catching up, etc. :cup:

That done, we can find a decent restaurant / gastropub to relax and re-fuel. :o

I think I should have asked for a mobile number ...... :-?

Filled my diesel powered car up with petrol last night. :roll: Spent until 4am hand-pumping the tank dry. No garages open with free diesel, so home and bed for 5am. Car spent the night outside Biggleswade Halfords.....

Back in Biggleswade, and collected car, having tipped a couple of gallons of clean healthy diesel in it, and home again - with car - for 2pm. <Yippee!>

Probably too late late now, but "I'm on my way" ...... :D