Mini-Heelmeet proposal: Watford 5th April

euchrid

Couldn't make it as some friends decided to drop by with short warning. Looking forward to reading the reports though :roll:

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Just got back. I was the first to arrive and just as I was queueing for a drink Eucrid turned up and we were joined shortly after by Xaphod. We went to Faith, Aldo, River Island to name but a few and I tried on pumps because I am taking my image to a more sophisicated level: Pencil skirts and smart stilettos! We were then joined by Fastfreddy and then later on by Firefox. I finally bid farewell to them all in Primark at 5.30 and made my way home...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Heelmeet Report: I was a little concerned when first arriving at Watford (1:45ish) as the streets were absolutely thronging with rozzers. There were pairs of them stationed in most pub doorways, the mounted variety were clip-clopping down the street, and police vans were parked down almost every side street. Presumably they were there to prevent 'agro' in case Watford lost to Coventry. In the event, Watford won 2-1 (or so we were told by some flag-waving children) and by 5:30 the police presence had completely disappeared. We had a slow heelmeet start at the Caffé Nero – just me, Xaphod & Dr Shoe - reading their free paper and sipping their extortionately priced beverages. After hanging out there for an hour, we headed off to the Harlequin Centre and started browsing the usual big name stores. Dr Shoe was in his element. Xa & I were less enthralled by the stuff on offer and mainly loitered about discussing the price of fish. There were a few stunning and well-heeled girlies to be admired out and about though which was good compensation for the lack of interesting footwear in the shops. In Faith, I made a good find and decided to buy a pair of their black “SELLOW” ankle boots that I’ve had my eye on for some time. They were on sale at £45, which gave me a perfect opportunity to use my £50 Faith gift token (still in my wallet since I acquired it many months ago). After asking a bemused salesgirl if I could have the other boot and being told to take a seat (she obviously thought I was going to try them on! I wasn’t!) - I then discovered I’d not actually got the token with me – I’d left it at home with a pile of receipts and cashpoint slips. I sheepishly told the girl not to bother finding the other one after all! A short while later we met up with FastFreddy and hit the Burger King for some coffee and [barely edible] pastries plus a flame-grilled burger for Dr Shoe. We then checked out an asian-owned independent shoe store in the high street. There were some OK styles to be found in there. All cheap-stuff (“No Doubt” label, etc.) but at not so cheap prices. Again Dr Shoe tried stuff on whilst the rest of us loitered about. We then met up with Firefox who had just caught up with us after my 2:30pm wake-up call. There was approx. an hour of shopping time left so off we went to Primark and then New Look. In New Look, I finally found the cojones to do some trying on. They had some black lace-up shoeboots that I liked. The size 7's on display were a bit too tight though and I wasn’t keen enough to ask if they had 8’s in stock. By now Dr Shoe & Xa had departed so the three of us remaining went off in search of a decent eatery. We took advantage of some insider information from FastFreddy and went to an excellent Italian place for pizza (Firefox) & seafood taglateli (me & FastFreddy). There were some terrific looking girlies in the restaurant & a few were also wearing great heels. So why does Watford have such a poor reputation? It has great food & some lovely, stylish woman – that’s more than can be said about my home town! After the meal, FastFreddy went off to move his car, whilst me & Firefox got the beers in at a pub called Baraka. As the pub lighting was low and there were few people in there, I took the opportunity to change into some high-heel ankle boots that I had taken with me. It felt great wearing them on their tiled and hardwood floors. Once we'd sat down, the place started filling up with large posses of ‘lads’. Oh s***, I thought – someone is certain to notice what I’m wearing as soon as I get up to leave. :o FF returned after a while with some bad news about the parking (I’ll leave it to him & Firefox to go into the details) so that meant it was time to drink-up and get going. I strolled nonchalantly out of the pub, past the assembled lads and the doorman into the high street. No one noticed a thing! Firefox then headed off home, leaving just myself & FastFreddy. In the short while that was left before my bus turned up, the two of us took a stroll around a quiet part of Watford. At least it had been quiet - before our 4” heels started clicking along the pavement! :-? A great day, all-told. Thanks again guys. FastFreddy – I’m already looking forward to (and saving up for!) a Brent Cross trying & buying expedition! :roll:

Always High-Heel Responsibly

Guest Loveshiheels

Looks like you lot had a great day. How many of you wore heels when shopping and what heels did you wear?

FF returned after a while with some bad news about the parking (I’ll leave it to him & Firefox to go into the details) so that meant it was time to drink-up and get going. I strolled nonchalantly out of the pub, past the assembled lads and the doorman into the high street. No one noticed a thing!

Firefox then headed off home, leaving just myself & FastFreddy.

In the short while that was left before my bus turned up, the two of us took a stroll around a quiet part of Watford. At least it had been quiet - before our 4” heels started clicking along the pavement! :-?

A great day, all-told. Thanks again guys.

FastFreddy – I’m already looking forward to (and saving up for!) a Brent Cross trying & buying expedition! :roll:

As far as the parking went, leaving cars in the shopping centre car park for a couple of hours after the cente had closed, was almost a costly mistake. Fortunately both myself and Firefox got out unscathed, without paying the £15 'penalty' charge possible if vehicles were not collected inside the 1 hour 'grace period' after the shops closed.

It was shame we hadn't moved our cars earlier (as planned on my part) when we left the shopping centre. We had subsequently found a High Street bar to spend a couple of hours in, and the evening 'traffic' had just started to get going. But leaving the cars just wasn't possible when we realised there was a problem, so our evening plans were cut short. The rain experienced walking the length of the town to the Harlequin car park, quite literally putting a 'damper' on the evening. We'll know better next time....

As far as impressions of Watford are concerned, different people, will get different opinions from the same place/situation. Watford nightlife involves a lot of younger people with a fairlly simple view of life. I'm not sure what their reaction would be to men wearing heels. My rather conservative wife, doesn't much like the place in the evening. She sees many groups of young men out on the beer, and as many young girls walking about half dressed. [i'm sure the time I spend watching for what shoes are making so much noise on the pavement doesn't help improve her perception of the place.] But she doesn't approve of loutish behaviour, and Watford provides an abundance of it in the Town Centre on Friday and Saturday evening.

Drink and young people provides two inevitable conclusions. Sex, and fights. Young drunk men, if not getting the former, will settle for the latter. Want to be wearing 4" heels when 'something' kicks off in a room of 2-300 people? At least half of which are men under 30 who have been drinking for a number of hours? Not me.

Looks like you lot had a great day. How many of you wore heels when shopping and what heels did you wear?

Tara (Dr Shoe) wore some really nice knee high boots with at least 4" heels, Firefox and Xaphod wore HH boots. Myself and euchrid wore normal shoes while shopping, changing into ankle boots in the evening. [i had already said Watford was too close to home territory to be seen wearing heels during the day.]

The parking problem pretty much prevented any anticipated heeling activity. The rain didn't help either. Firefox made his way home after his car park 'escape', euchrid and myself had a 10 minute wander while waiting for his transport home to arrive. Fortunately the rain stopped while we walked.

The football team having a home game, the car park not being open in the evening, and the rain all helped suppress opportunity. But, I think we all got some benefit out of the adventure. Relationships were strengthened. Experiences shared. And Tara got to shop. :D

Definitely worth the effort. :o

I,m am starting to think I should of gone as well

Well, everyone was welcome? :-?:o

I'd say Watford would be an excellent place to spend a Saturday evening on a warm day, with meeting attendees all wearing 'standard' footwear. [so's not to draw attention.] The many and diverse heel styles moving up and down the High Street, are sure to entertain the connoisseur. I speak from experience. :D

I'd suggest shopping opportunities are few though. I much prefer, by some considerable margin, Bluewater. I didn't write about my day there [HH'd], but while there, I was asked twice by staff in Dolcis if I needed help. Perhaps nothing surprising by that? Maybe not, but I was looking at the ladies size 8's in the sale, and I was offered help by both male and female assistants. Quite a benchmark.

Hanna, in Nine West, practically selected the shoes for me to try while I was there (Bless her.) House of Fraser, also as helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. [i bought Prada and KG there.] Only place I didn't feel a warm welcome, was Aldo's, and that may have been me since one of our members has bought two pairs of HH from there. [Possibly buying the second while wearing the first?]

Shopping aside, I think meetings are great for meeting people (increasing one's social circle), and getting details on some first hand experience without having to get it the hard way. [Doing yourself.] :roll:

Yes, not only did I avoid paying the £15 late charge, but he also raised the barrier to let me out, and I didn't have to pay £2.50 for normal parking charge, which I was attmpting to pay, but all the machines where you could pay were locked up on the other side of the mall doors which closed at about 7.00pm. Highlight of the day; trying on shoes in New Look. If anyone wants lessons on how to try on shoes in New Look I'll be pleased to help :roll:

Sorry I could not make it, I am pleased it seemed to be a success though! I am determined to get to a mini heel meet in the near future, I am hoping that being with like minded people will give me more confidence not to hide my heel wearing away! :roll:

I am hoping that being with like minded people will give me more confidence not to hide my heel wearing away!

I can guarantee to you that it will! I speak from experience. :roll:

Always High-Heel Responsibly

I am determined to get to a mini heel meet in the near future, I am hoping that being with like minded people will give me more confidence not to hide my heel wearing away!

:roll:

There's some growing interest in a Bluewater meet ..... :-?

>> Here << in the unlikely event it's been missed. :o