Our heel wearing - is it an outlet for our personality?

HeelD

Spurred on by this thread at the Fashion Spot, it has always been a thought in my mind whether my heel wearing and general preference for wearing women's shoes is a part of my personality trying to get out.

I'm a quiet person, not the person who is the centre of attention (or life of the party), I generally take my time in social situations to start talking to people, and this has lead me to think that maybe my fashion preferences are a part of my personality that is compensating for my shyness. While I'm not being negative about myself - they do say eccentric people are usually shy.

I just wondered what you guys thought about this subject.

The Fashion Spot thread also got me thinking, if eccentricism is acceptable to some people then so should male heel wearing. (If anything it's a good excuse to make when confronted with the issue - "I wear heels to be eccentric":biggrin: )

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

interesting concept but i don't think that's the case for me at all. i'm really not the most sociable person but i'm not shy at all. i tend to be a loner but i can be the life of the party occasion........ if i actually get out of the house to go to the party.

I suppose everything we do is a manifestation of some facet of our personality. I'm a bit of a wallflower too, preferring not to attract too much attention -- which is not exactly in keeping with heels. That is why I have a preference for the more conservative styles such as wedges and blocks as I have posted in other threads. I just like heels because they feel good -- they are different and exciting. Maybe that iindicates some kind of deep inner complexities of my psyche but I think that's an over-analysis. Although most people consider me to be rather eccentric in many ways (techno-geek occupational hazard), in my mode of dress I do not believe that I am.

Have a happy time!

Hmm! An interesting topic I must say. Admittedly, I'm not much of a sociable guy, I'm rather quiet, content to just melt into the background when out and about and not draw attention to myself. Perhaps when I'm wearing heels, I'm subconsciously trying to break that particular mold, especially since I make no bones about loving to wear high, thin heels that make lots of noise, thus calling attention to myself, the total reverse to how I normally am when out in public. Nor do I regularly hide my heels under extra long jeans when out as I want people to see them, against, something that goes against the grain of my quiet personna. Maybe wearing heels is my attempt to call attention to myself, to make people notice me, even though more often than not, few really do. Like I said, most interesting.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I'm not much of a sociable guy, I'm rather quiet, content to just melt into the background when out and about and not draw attention to myself.

JeffB - you could be describing me there!

ditto with HeelD's bit here - - - "I'm a quiet person, not the person who is the centre of attention (or life of the party), I generally take my time in social situations to start talking to people"

I think my "high-heels thing" must originate from somewhere in my psyche.

It's maybe an expression of me wanting to be someone else or maybe just wanting to live/experience a different kind of life - a more exotic, exciting, confidant one. Heel-wearing is very much about confidence after all - that's one of the reasons women look good in heels - they exude confidence which is an attractant.

My "thing" is something that a psychologist could earn plenty of £££ on probably. Luckily, having sessions with analysts has never taken off here in the UK!

Always High-Heel Responsibly

Well, I'm considered extroverted by those around me - and expecially when I'm "on" - teaching seminars or and training sessions. I don't consider myself gregarious... I'll avoid parties - unless asked to come - and rarely have my own - and when I do is usually only 6-8 people dinner parties. In college (more than half my life ago) I was an athlete that liked to perform for the crowd as much as my teammates, but not in an overt way, only to make the game more enjoyable to them and myself.

Are some of us quiet because we feel like misfits the way we're attired, and would we be more open if we changed? I've certainly had (very positive) feedback that I've become more open and more extroverted at my gaming group since I started showing up in a skirt - which matches my self-image. One datum, statistically insignificant I accept.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I'm not sure if it's an "outlet" for me, pe se, but I know when I wear them out, I feel a bit more like myself, and more relaxed. The last time I went down to Denver to have coffee with friends, they were happy to see me (overall as a person), and the heels were just a happy aside to the event, since most of them were just curious to see what new style I had pulled out of my hat this time - guess they're just really really used to seeing me in them. So I guess while it's a facet of my personality, it's more a part of me than an outlet.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Well, as far as my gender identification is concerned, I'm androgynous- that means that I've got both masculine and feminine sides that coexist and complement each other, enriching my personality. That's also true in regard to my bisexual orientation- I don't image myself living as a e.g. macho guy, attracted to one sex/ gender only (no matter if he's gay or straight). Playing with masculinity and femininity can be a wonderful thing!

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I'm not sure if it's an "outlet" for me, pe se, but I know when I wear them out, I feel a bit more like myself, and more relaxed.

I have to say that I agree with ShockQueen. To me they sometimes make me feel more like myself, sometimes more at ease, sometimes they're even more comfortable.

Not sure if they're an outlet.

I don't know if it's an outlet for my personality, per se. It's a part of me that I embrace instead of deny.

As I type this, I'm wearing a screen-print t-shirt ("I'm out of bed and dressed. What more do you want?" is the caption), with a knee-length skirt, dual-net stockings (like these), and ankle-strap wedges. In addition to browsing here, I'm also on espn.com and a message board for the NO Saints, and when I turn away from the laptop I have a game of John Madden football going on PS2. I'll probably change into something more conservative when I go shopping later - I need a new pair of running sneakers (I'd just buy Easy Spirits if they came in my size ;)), and I saw some tops at Avenue that I want to pick up as well.

It's all part of my personality, but I don't see it as an outlet for some repressed inner whatever.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I don't know if it's an outlet for my personality, per se. It's a part of me that I embrace instead of deny.

As I type this, I'm wearing a screen-print t-shirt ("I'm out of bed and dressed. What more do you want?" is the caption), with a knee-length skirt, dual-net stockings (like these), and ankle-strap wedges. In addition to browsing here, I'm also on espn.com and a message board for the NO Saints, and when I turn away from the laptop I have a game of John Madden football going on PS2. I'll probably change into something more conservative when I go shopping later - I need a new pair of running sneakers (I'd just buy Easy Spirits if they came in my size ;)), and I saw some tops at Avenue that I want to pick up as well.

It's all part of my personality, but I don't see it as an outlet for some repressed inner whatever.

That's certainly a good attitude to have. Better to embrace who and what you are than to deny your personality and be miserable as a result. More power to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

What a great topic! I am not an outgoing type. I would rather be by myself than in a crowd (and my definition of a crowd is ”any more than 4”). I have never wanted to be the center of attention, at least I’ve always thought that, but now I’m not so sure. I don’t have a problem being in the public eye, I was a wedding photographer for 20 years and there is no way you can’t avoid being a bit forward if you are going to come back with good pictures. I’ve also performed in a music duet. Both of these activities were fun but I was not driven to do either. I have always enjoyed wearing women’s boots. Then a few years ago I decided to walk into a restaurant wearing a pair of black leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. The concept of practicing in those heels hadn’t occurred to me at the time so it was an interesting first outing (I digress). Anyway, I’ve been wearing thigh boots in public ever since. The WHY question has been bothering me ever since I’ve started wearing thigh boots in public. A guy in thigh boots with 5” heels does get a little attention. I keep writing that a lot of folks don’t notice or are too polite to say anything but that doesn’t answer the question about WHY I go out wearing them. I also write that I really like the look, and I do, but that still doesn’t answer the WHY question. Am I saying that wearing thigh boots is the only look I like? I’ve never been that fashion conscious anyway. The only fashion criteria I really try to meet is “clean”. Good color coordination is an accident. I know there is a feminine side to me because it shows up when I do art work. I really create better stuff when I’m wearing boots or something else feminine. I’ve started wearing knee high boots under my slacks at work (computer geek) and I think it helps me do more creative stuff. So does wearing boots/heels become an outlet for my personality trying to get out? I think it does. There is something about wearing these boots in public that I like. I’m sure there are easier things to do to get attention but there is nothing driving me to do that. Maybe the whole “Thighbootguy” thing is just an outlet for another persona. Maybe someday I’ll get a better understanding of myself. Sorry this rambled of long but writing helps.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.