Usual heel heigth and aspirations

Highluc

I would like to hear from all of you regular street wearers (whatever gender) what heel heigth you usually wear, how quick you got there and are you satisfied with that or would you like to be able to wear higher and for what reasons? For myself I started wearing heels in public around age 18 and because this coincided with the end of 60's and start of 70's platforms and heels were worn by most boys and girls. With fashion boys shoes having already 1-1/2inch platform and up to 3-4inch heels it was very easy to jump to 4-inch without platforms (on block type heels). Contrary to what I read here I never gradually increased intermediate heigths to get there. I cannot remember ever having had problems walking on such heel heigths, it just felt natural and good to me from the start. In the 30 following years I had a variety of heels I liked for looks and tried them all but rarely wore any higher as 5 inch real elevation (not counting the platform that is). I'm not counting the "bedroom or indoor fetish types" here, but the regular shoes on which you and I walk for hours during errands and living all kind of varied activities. While I mostly have worn 8-9cm true elevation during 20 years I now see that the last 10 years I gradually bought more shoes with a true heel of 10cm (that's 4-inch) and lately have measured most of my boots to be around 11cm lift. Mind you, I never measure the heels in the store but merely try shoes untill I find a pair I find comfortable. Apparently lately I am more comfortable 1 inch higher as a decade ago. This has nothing to do with wanting to wear higher heels but just with the way my feet, arches, calves and tendons (and me) like it. Unlike Lauri I never had any aspirations to live on the highest possible heel but slowly my body asked for slightly higher. Presently I almost constantly wear 4 inch heels during daytime and even to relax home my house slippers have to have around 3 inches true lift to feel natural and comfy. I would be interested to hear from others who have been wearing heels since a few years on a continuous basis (in regular life activities) how your evolution has been. Greetings from Highluc to all who enjoy their heels all day long.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Well, my first pair of "real everyday" high heels were true 4" high without any platform and very loud platic heels :smile:

I started going out early in the morning to get the newspaper from the local newsagent in them and found that there was a good reaction from women that often saw me dressed in a suit and nice loud heels...

Since then i have bought mostly 4" heels and some 4.25" heels without platforms, and a few pairs with lower heels, but i am most comfortable in 4" heels and i would love to be able to walk in my new 5.5" knee high stilletoes but i dont think i will ever want to wear that height daily, its too uncomfortable, and un-stable...... and looks daft....

I bought them advertised as 5.5" high but the back of the heels are 6" high....... :grin:

i think i will be sticking to around the 4" - 4.5" range of "true elevation in my heels from now on.......... :grin:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Girl time... I wore three inch heels for years, they were quite natural. I've always been known to be a shoe girl. But now, I can go out all day on five inch stilettos and be fine for the most part. But for me, it was a work in progress, practice, and I think everyone knows this already so I'll just leave my tow ore here and run along. :smile:

I would like to hear from all of you regular street wearers (whatever gender) what heel heigth you usually wear, how quick you got there

Not counting the 2" cowboys, my first HHs were 5" stiletto boots. They were surprisingly ok the first time I tried them on and walked outside. The following ones were gradually lower, with the lowest one being about 3". Then I started going upwards again, and now I hover between 3 1/2" and 4" if I would buy new boots. If I go over 4" (got a pair of 11.5cm Bronx blade boots), walking for any lengths of time becomes difficult. 4" is ok for the whole day if it's a good boot, a lousy one may be painful after 10 minutes.

and are you satisfied with that or would you like to be able to wear higher

Actually I'm fine with my current ability. I have no intention to break the world record of heel height, as comfort is also important to me, as well are the looks. I know that, if society would tolerate it, I would wear 5 inchers occasionally, eg. to a party - despite the eventual discomfort that they would cause after a few hours. But since society is what it is, I prefer to invest my money in boots that I can actually wear.

and for what reasons?

Hell, if I would know the reasons behind this whole thing, I would be a much less puzzled guy :smile:

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

I started my serious outdoor heel wearing on 3inchers though I had been wearing 5" as a tranny and indoors with male clothes for years. I increased to 4" when I started college with ankle boots in summer and thigh boots (outside a pair of leather jeans) in the winter. That's the highest I'm "allowed" to wear in public though I can wear what I like when we go to somewhere like Camden.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't know if "whenever I can" counts as regular, but I'm generally in somewhere around 4". I'm happy with that, as they're reasonable for all day wear, like yesterday :smile: I'd like some more endurance, but I'm just working on it one step at a time. I'll probably reserve anything higher for special occasions, as I can't see myself walking around somewhere like Stevenage in 5" courts :grin:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Well I do wear somthing between 2 1/2" and 5" outdoors - I look for a wider heels style for that. Would also like to get some blade heels. Anyway i would wish to have a little more of a medium height of about 4" in my collection - but there are not very much offers for those in my size.... And oh yes, sometimes I'll try to wear my 7" wedge oxfords for a longer walk - but still need a little excercise. best wishes Joak :smile:

Normal wear is anything between 3" and 4.5" daily (true lift). Although platforms give you a higher heel, it doesn't really count as the height of the platform cancels out the real effect. I eventually will be able to wear anything up to 9" (yes, I'm still practicing wearing my ballets :smile:), but I can walk in 5.5" for a while before my feet start to tell me off :grin:

Wearing 5" and 5½" heels for extended periods (8-10 hours) doesn't bother me. However, I usually wear 1" to 4½" heels in public (4½" blade heels on my boots -- and then only in the winter time.) As for the lower heels, it really depends on where I'm going. I am partial to wearing loafer style pumps with 3" heels outside the house.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I average around 4" For parties, special occasions, I'll wear 4 3/4 or 5. I can wear higher than that but don't like them because it affects my walk too much. Typically for office wear I'll have between 3 and 4" boots, cowboys. blocks, blades or thinner sometimes. I like to wear a variety of shoes. I'm quite happy with the styles I wear, and lucky that I can go into a high street store and fit pretty well any style which interests me.

Well, my standard for day to day wear at the office where I work is three inches which are most comfortable for me. I've worn four inchers with no problem, but three is what I like best.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On the subject of height, I've found of late that I can't bring myself to wear anything LESS than three inchers, be it to work or just on weekend outings. I guess I've gotten so used to wearing that particular height daily to work, it's become second nature to me, it's become pretty much a mindset with me. And that, I don't mind at all! :-D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Wearing anything less than four inch heels feels wrong for me these days. If I wear runenrs, I find myself walking very poorly, because they don't excite me. But apart from that, I need a four inch heel to feel normal, and a five inch heel to feel happy. It is strange how a body adapts sometimes.

Agree that the time I started still affects what I wear. I began wearing in 1960s when stilettos were everywhere. For me it has always been a comfort issue, 2 1/2 to 3 inch my perfect range, and the small heel tips don't have the problem of wearing one side unevenly. I like boots best, hide them under long trousers mainly. I've just been away for a week on a bike ride, only rode about 120 km of the distance in stiletto boots, but volunteered for the catering and serving and preparing food, lots of standing, the heels were essential. Surprising how many people have foot problems, and the heels for me were the solution. Had to be careful when standing on the serving and washing platforms with gaps between the boards my heels could slipthrough. None of the others wore heels but several people, men and women, had foot problems, for long standing. I'm so grateful I found the answer, would have collapsed without the heels.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Laurieheels on this one, I feel almost naked without 5"spikes on my heels though I have and do wear 4 1/2" heels quite alot. I actually started by wearing a pair of my mums 5" stilleto courts and felt quite comforable with them even though my mum wouldn't let me wear anything over 3 1/2 inches until I was 15. Sue

FOR STELLAH - I AM DISAPPOINTED :smile: NO PICTURES SHOWED UP.

STILL WONDERING WHAT THE HEELS LOOK LIKE!!

I was having the same problem tring to view stellah's pictures .... they appeared as squares with red X's inside incidating a broken link.

But then ShockQueen had a solution ....

Right-click on the placeholder, go to 'properties', then put the URL of the image in your address field on the browser - it'll show up then.

That suggestion worked. And after I viewed both pictures using this method, the link between stellah's posting and the pic's was re-established. I don't understand that but I wish I did.

stellah's pictures look like 7 inch spike stiletto's to me. I have one pair like that. It's very hard for me to even put them on. I can't even stand in them let alone walk in them.

PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

We become known for some things and we enjoy those things. People know me for three things at work now above everything else.

Heels, cookies, and writing. I suppose being a silly girl who doesn't look or act her age would be #4 but that's taken for normal now.

Laurie, when you say not acting your age for #4, do you mean acting younger or older ?

I personally find traits 1, 2 and 4 adorable. Nothing wrong with 3 either. It's just that it's not enjoyable in the same sense to me as the others are.

PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

..... I feel almost naked without 5"spikes on my heels though I have and do wear 4 1/2" heels quite alot.

Sue

Sue, I also love your style in shoes. I consider anything lower as flats.

I hope you never lose this interest.

PJ

ShockQueen Wrote: "Right-click on the placeholder, go to 'properties', then put the URL of the image in your address field on the browser - it'll show up then." What is the "placeholder"?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.