Boots and Skirts in Public

Thighbootguy

I stopped at the local Goodwill (thrift store) today just to look around. I found a black leather skirt that is mid thigh in length with the zipper in front. This is the first leather skirt I have seen there for months (I guess they are not a popular item in the summer). Leather skirts, like shoes have to be tried on in the store to be sure they fit. This one was from American Outfitters and was marked size 12. I normally wear a 14-16 but this one looked like it would fit and it did! I’m just a sucker for leather skirts. The temperature today is 98F (37C) and the humidity is close to the temperature. That means hot and muggy. Driving home this afternoon the skirt has to be more comfortable than the slacks I wear to work but I may pass on wearing my thigh boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

The temperature today is 98F (37C) and the humidity is close to the temperature. That means hot and muggy. Driving home this afternoon the skirt has to be more comfortable than the slacks I wear to work but I may pass on wearing my thigh boots.

So I guess that when fall rolls around, you'll have the perfect excuse to cruise about town in your skirts, eh? HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Actually I wore my new leather skirt driving home last night and plan to again tonight. Cincinnati Ohio set a temperature record of 100F yesterday so driving in slacks (even with A/C) would have been miserable. On the way home last night, I stopped in a park just to walk around a bit with the skirt but no boots. It really is comfortable as far as the temperature goes but I’m still working on being comfortable presenting myself dressed that way.

I’m not sure why this is but, ranking my comfort level from least comfortable to most comfortable I get:

1. going out in a leather skirt without boots

2. going out in a leather skirt with knee high boots

3. going out in a leather skirt with thigh boots

4. going out in shorts and thigh boots

5. going out in jeans and thigh boots

So, I’m not quite ready to “cruse about town” in a leather skirt. Maybe by the time fall rolls around…

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I’m not sure why this is but, ranking my comfort level from least comfortable to most comfortable I get:

1. going out in a leather skirt without boots

2. going out in a leather skirt with knee high boots

3. going out in a leather skirt with thigh boots

4. going out in shorts and thigh boots

5. going out in jeans and thigh boots

So, I’m not quite ready to “cruse about town” in a leather skirt. Maybe by the time fall rolls around…

I found that list of yours rather fascinating. A few questions: Do you have to wear leather skirts? What about denim or knit? Couldn't you branch out to something that wouldn't "stand out" quite so much as leather? Not to push you into something you don't seem ready for yet, but why not consider other options? Inquiring minds wanna know. As for me, that list starts and ends with #5! Heh!

JeffB -

Ah, as always, the voice of reason.

Like I said “I’m just a sucker for leather skirts.” I have a few cloth ones and recently I have been out in a tan skort with thigh boots. This really is a comfortable combination both physically and mentally. This is the garment I have on in Thighboot Guy makes Popcorn.

I think my convoluted reasoning for wearing leather skirts is something like my convoluted reasoning for wearing thigh boots.

If your going to wear heel, wear stilettos

If your going to wear boots, don’t hide them

If your going to wear boots with heels, wear thigh boots

If your going to wear a skirt, wear a short one.

If your going to wear a short skirt, wear a leather one.

It’s funny that in most other things in my life I do subscribe to the principal of “moderation in all things”.

I think my convoluted reasoning for wearing leather skirts is something like my convoluted reasoning for wearing thigh boots.

If your going to wear heel, wear stilettos

If your going to wear boots, don’t hide them

If your going to wear a skirt, wear a short one.

If your going to wear a short skirt, wear a leather one.

It’s funny that in most other things in my life I do subscribe to the principal of “moderation in all things”.

Again, fascinating, utterly fascinating! Nothing wrong with having a specific sort of reasoning to guide yourself by, and yours is certainly intriguing. Not to try and psychoanalyze you, but it sounds like you lean towards an exhibitionist bent, what with your passion for thigh high boots and short leather skirts. Feel free to say I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you have to live your life the way you see fit, and if that's what you enjoy, who am I to criticize you? Hell, I agree with a few of your dictates:

If your going to wear heels, wear stilettos

I agree wholeheartedly, spike heels are all I wear today

On the one occasion I wore thigh boots, I had a great time, I hope to do that again after the weather cools down, I remember how that outing was a tremendous experience

If your going to wear a skirt, wear a short one

Back when I indulged a desire to wear skirts (inside), I had to admit I looked damn good, especially in a short skirt, and I enjoyed how I looked

Perhaps you and I are more alike than we think, but you're much bolder than I am since you've been out in short skirts and thigh boots, something I wouldn't dream of doing as I just don't have that sort of courage. That why I admire you for having the nerve to do what you enjoy.

JeffB-

Once again I think you have hit the proverbial nail squarely on its head.

“it sounds like you lean towards an exhibitionist bent”

I have been wondering why I do what I do for a long time and your observation is what I have concluded.

I do enjoy wearing boots/heels/gloves/shirts in private, but going out in public is driven by something else. The combination of the two enjoyments yields this anomaly, “Thighbootguy”.

After all the self analysis I have realized that the combination of the two enjoyments does require careful watching because it has pushed me too far on occasion and I have to make a conscious effort to stop for a while.

By the way I don’t give “dictates”, just advice on looking in a mirror before you go out in public.

JeffB-

Once again I think you have hit the proverbial nail squarely on its head.

“it sounds like you lean towards an exhibitionist bent”

I have been wondering why I do what I do for a long time and your observation is what I have concluded.

I do enjoy wearing boots/heels/gloves/shirts in private, but going out in public is driven by something else. The combination of the two enjoyments yields this anomaly, “Thighbootguy”.

Perhaps we're all exhibitionists in varying degrees by wanting to wear women's shoes in public, some of us (like you) push the envelope farther than most, but we all have a blast doing what we love. I don't mind admitting I'd love to take a turn in public in a skirt, something like that would really be exciting, but I just don't have a fraction of the nerve you have which is why I admire you for being so incredibly bold.

By the way I don’t give “dictates”, just advice on looking in a mirror before you go out in public.

Maybe "dictates" was a wrong word to use, but I couldn't come up with a better one. Heh!

Perhaps we're all exhibitionists in varying degrees by wanting to wear women's shoes in public, some of us (like you) push the envelope farther than most, but we all have a blast doing what we love. I don't mind admitting I'd love to take a turn in public in a skirt, something like that would really be exciting, but I just don't have a fraction of the nerve you have which is why I admire you for being so incredibly bold.

Jeff, I agree with you, although it has to be said you can't generalise. You can speak for yourself, and I'd say that's how I feel; I would love to take a turn out in a skirt. The furthest I've got so far is a headless picture on flickr.

http://flickr.com/photos/8309559@N02/582300713/

Perhaps one day I'll do it.

A skirt is a wonderful garment, in particular on a warm day. This week I had several hours of driving to do and I wore a jeans skirt in the car (above the knee, but not super short either). When I stopped at a rest area I wanted to get something to drink from the vending machine area (which on this rest stop was surprisingly far removed from the main area). So although there were a lot of people at the rest area no one was near the vending area, though it was in clear sight from the main area. So I decided not to bother with changing and just walked out wearing the skirt, got my juice and got back in the car. Overall I was probably out for only two minutes, but that is two minutes more than what I had done in past ! I really like skirts for the convenience. It is not really a sexual thing. In summer they just seem like a more appropriate and comfortable piece of clothing. Millions of men in South East Asia who wear sarongs can't be wrong.

I did something today I have to share here. I actually went into a clothing store bought a dress without trying it on first then went to the car and put it on paired with a pair of 5 inch wooden platforms from Nine West I had just bought then walked from the car into a crowded target store in the early afternoon. The store like I said was crowded and I heard a few laughs or hey look at that guy. But more than that there were several women who said nice shoes where did you get them or nice outfit. Walking out there were a few people who stopped to stare but at that point I was so high on adrenaline I did not care. As I was pulling out of the parking lot the rush of what I had just done hit me and I wannted it again so later I walked into a crowded grocey store with the same dress with 6.5 inch platform pumps. The ladies in the store were jeolous that they could not walk in such shoes. One lady said I wish I had your legs they are beautiful, I told her the only way to get them was to wear the heels. It has been several hoursisnce I did this and I am still reeling from the days experience. For those of you that have fear understand that the hardest part is getting out of the car. After that, your out and it's much easier. I tend to sit in the car and wait fro a moment where there are no men to see me get out but after I get out it's cool. Good luck to those of you who wand and should experience the thrill of wearing a skirt or dress and heels out in public. I have worn a veryshort mini and ballet boots at times but was very careful about who saw me primarily no men. Todat I am several hundred miles from home on business and that made things very much easier as well.

Derf -

Great adventure, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Sounds like you even got some nice complements while you were out. I’ve always found that a few nice complements will offset almost anything else that is said.

Your absolutely right. The hardest step is the one you take getting out of the car.

I tried a black dress a couple of times but always in a secluded place that didn’t qualify as going out in public. I’m not sure why but I don’t enjoy a dress as much as a skirt.

I hope you will share more adventures with us.

Loveheel -

I took a trip from Cincinnati to St. Augustine Fl. earlier this year and drove the whole thing (down and back) in thigh boots and a leather skirt. That included lunch and rest stops on the expressway. It really was a fun and comfortable trip.

Fog -

There are a few more ruffles than I care for but the skirt does look nice, especially with the boots.

Derf: Quite a remarkable adventure you had. I admire your courage in doing what you did, something I'm relatively sure I'd never be able to pull off. You know what just occured to me? With the proliference of camera phones that capture video, do you or thighbootguy wonder about being unknowingly filmed by someone during your outings and having said video wind up on YouTube for the world to see? Something like that would worry me sick. Just something to think about before traisping out in a skirt and heels.

Uh... Jeff go to YouTube and search for Thighbootguy or click here.

There have been a number of times folks have taken my picture when I was wearing thigh boots but I don’t recall any when I was wearing a skirt.

The premise of the whole thing is liking the look you see in a full length mirror. If you don’t like it , don’t go out. (I know I’m preaching to the choir.)

Uh... Jeff go to YouTube and search for Thighbootguy or click here.

There have been a number of times folks have taken my picture when I was wearing thigh boots but I don’t recall any when I was wearing a skirt.

The premise of the whole thing is liking the look you see in a full length mirror. If you don’t like it , don’t go out. (I know I’m preaching to the choir.)

Well, D-UH! You I know about! Heh! What I mean, there might be others out there who might not be comfortable with the notion of being filmed. A legitimate concern I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff, welcome to the 21st century. (I’m not too thrilled about it either.) I think being photographed is now part of going out. Some folks are better about it than others. The polite folks ask if they can take your picture. Most of the time, I pose for them. Others try to sneak a shot. I ask them if they got the heels in their picture. (I don’t care if the did or not, it’s just a polite way of saying “I know you took my picture”.) It all goes back to you liking the way you look in a full length mirror. If your comfortable enough to go out, go for it. You have to accept that you might be photographed. I think the bottom line is, don’t do anything (that you consider to be) stupid or outrageous. Leave that stuff for a more controlled environment. I also understand the power of an image over the spoken word (the ratio is 1000:1), and with the internet images are much more portable then ever before. I think you either have to accept that you might be photographed when you go out, or not go out. I think if you act in a reasonable manner, its worth being noid||noid (two noids, paranoid) about. Remember the old show “Candid Camera”? 8)

It's true the exhibitionist bit, i dont do skirts as i dont do nicks underneath, but shorts yes, makeup, nails, heels of course and makeup yes. Be confident, dont keep looking down, have a 'if there's a problem it's u who has the problem' attitude , and get on with it. Soulmate and i have had loads of looks 'who are they?' which is wkd !! Waiting to be asked for autographs !!

Hey Jeff, welcome to the 21st century. (I’m not too thrilled about it either.)

I think being photographed is now part of going out. Some folks are better about it than others. The polite folks ask if they can take your picture. Most of the time, I pose for them. Others try to sneak a shot. I ask them if they got the heels in their picture. (I don’t care if the did or not, it’s just a polite way of saying “I know you took my picture”.)

It all goes back to you liking the way you look in a full length mirror. If your comfortable enough to go out, go for it. You have to accept that you might be photographed. I think the bottom line is, don’t do anything (that you consider to be) stupid or outrageous. Leave that stuff for a more controlled environment.

I also understand the power of an image over the spoken word (the ratio is 1000:1), and with the internet images are much more portable then ever before.

I think you either have to accept that you might be photographed when you go out, or not go out.

I think if you act in a reasonable manner, its worth being noid||noid (two noids, paranoid) about.

Remember the old show “Candid Camera”? 8)

Well, as a learned expert, I defer to your expertise in these matters. The more I dwell on the subject, the more I realize that I most definitely want to go out in a skirt. I've always been intrigued by this and definitely want to give it a try. As for being photographed, I guess I'll just have to accept that as part of the landscape and make the best of it. The advice you imparted would be of considerable use to me once I take the really big step.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to take a driving trip Sunday and elected to travel wearing a grey T-shirt, a mid thigh black leather skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The outfit did pass my “look in a full length mirror” test but once I stepped out of the car, I became very self aware, self conscious, nervous… I stopped for gas at a station and where I have stopped before wearing boots and jeans/shorts. I got out of the car, filled the tank (pay at the pump), got back in the car and noticed I had forgotten to put the gas cap back on and close the lid. I got back out and replace the gas cap but I was nervous. This hasn’t happen to me for a long time and I’m wondering why it happened then. I’m hoping it was my stereotyped read of the people I saw at the gas station. I am still careful about where I go and work hard at not become complacent. There is no sense asking for trouble. Still being concerned about how I felt on the weekend trip, I stopped in Sam’s Monday night for some groceries. I went in wearing a long sleeved white shirt, black hose, the same black leather skirt and thigh boots. This look was just a bit more formal than the t-shirt, bare leg look I had Sunday. The folks at Sam’s are very used to seeing me and, after a few quick glances, the greeted me like a valued customer. I wondered through the store and really didn’t attract much attention. I was really starting to feel comfortable with the look I was presenting. At the register, a new clerk waved me over to the line she was just opening. She chatted with me about the stuff I bought but never once mentioned my skirt or boots. As I was leaving, I recognized the lady checking folks out of the store as someone that had spoken to me many times before. I asked her, “Is this too much?” She replied slowly, “Nah… do what makes you happy.” I was feeling pretty good by then but her comment really raised my spirits. I thanked her and headed out to my car. Looking back on the two outings, I think the black hose and more formal shirt made a significant difference in the way I felt about my look. I keep mentioning that contrast attracts attention and I should learn from my own comments. The black boots, hose, and skirt presented a solid color and the only contrast was the white shirt. All the parts seemed to work together. Sunday’s outfit had much more contrast: black boots, white legs, black skirt, grey T-shirt, white arms. This seemed to be too casual a collection for a leather skirt. There was also the influence of the crowd I saw at the gas station. I may have felt uncomfortable no matter how I was dressed. At Sam’s the folks are used to seeing me. The other possibilities are the differences in barometric pressure and the phase of the moon. Who knows? Anyway, I have discovered a look I like to present that includes a leather skirt and boots.

I was surfing around and found this poll How do you usually wear a skirt?

I have edited out some of the questions but what struck me was that there were close to 2000 responses to the pole and 41% were from guys.

Results

What kind of skirt do you wear most?

Pleated Skirt (40%)

A-Line Skirt (19%)

Other (15%)

Fold Skirt (6%)

Skort (4%)

Kilt (3%)

Box Pleated Skirt (3%)

Knife Pleat Skirt (3%)

Three Knife Pleated Skirt (1%)

1920 total votes

What is the preferred length of your skirt?

Mini (49%)

Above the knees (28%)

Touching the tops of the knees (11%)

Covering the knees (4%)

Near the ankles (3%)

Below the knees (3%)

1952 total votes

Why do you wear skirts?

I like them and find them to be very comfortable. (80%)

My parents make me wear them at all times unless it's a dress. (7%)

Both my school and parents make me wear them. (6%)

My school makes me wear them. (5%)

1929 total votes

If you're a girl who always wears shorts willingly then why?

I wear panties willingly because they are more comfortable. (61%)

I don't feel comfortable having nothing between my legs. (10%)

I'm not allowed to wear shorts under my skirt. My school and parents forbit it remember! (7%)

I'm afraid my underwear will show. (6%)

I'm not allowed to wear shorts under my skirt. My parents forbid it remember! (4%)

A boy once pulled my skirt up and everyone saw my underwear, I was soooo embarrassed. ].[ (4%)

I'm not allowed to wear shorts under my skirt. School forbids it remember! (3%)

1395 total votes

Are you a girl or boy?

Girl (59%)

Boy (41%)

1935 total votes

Are you a guy who wears skirts too?

I'm a girl. (46%)

Yes, I find them more comfortable then pants. (34%)

Yes (12%)

No, that's disgusting! (8%)

1727 total votes

Are you actually a guy who answered the girls questions as if you wore a skirt too?

I'm a girl! (43%)

I'm really a guy who is forced to wear skirts or just wishes it was that way. (22%)

No, I answered all the questions honestly. (21%)

Yes, I'm perverted and I want all girls to wear skirts 24/7 Mwa ha ha! (12%)

1822 total votes

TBG: Like that lady told you, do what makes you happy. I'm sure there might always be anxious moments, but if this is what you enjoy, then, by all means, just do it. You shouldn't have to feel nervous or apprehensive, those sort of cues will only make people around you wonder if something's wrong and suddenly, you're getting more attention than you want, or need. But if you look and feel confident, like haven't got a care in the world, you won't give off those cues that silently say otherwise. Hopefully, what I said made sense to you.

JeffB –

You’re preaching to the choir but you are right on target about always presenting a confident image. But I think you know that on some days it just doesn’t work and you have to be aware of it. On those days, don’t push yourself, rather, seek shelter. It’s better to not go out than to go out without confidence.

Thanks for the comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Going for a differnt look today.Wearing thigh high boots under my jeans.These thigh boots have over a 6 inch heel and metal heels. Posted Image

spent all day in my boots.went with my boy friend.He got a different work van.Spent 3 hours taking all of his work stuff putting it in the new van( a dodge sprinter).Then went to one of his locations to check on a problem there.Was at the mall in Dewitt NY. Then to KFC for lunch.Then to the DMV to turn in old plates for his van.Then to the grocery store.Getting a little better in walking them lol.I will be wearing my other boots tommrow. Heel on those a re 6 inch heel.Boot i wore today are 6 and 1/4.Got a few looks i guess lol.