Boots and Skirts in Public

Thighbootguy

Derf-

I haven’t had the nerve to go out in pumps and a skirt. I have no problems wearing a skirt with thigh boots but something stops me from wearing pumps (at least with a skirt). I think I fail my look in the mirror test, I just don’t like what I see. I guess my legs aren’t that great. :cool1:

Isn’t it great to have someone comment (positively) on your heels and overall look?

Sounds like you had a great outing. Thanks for sharing it. ;)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Derf-

I haven’t had the nerve to go out in pumps and a skirt. I have no problems wearing a skirt with thigh boots but something stops me from wearing pumps (at least with a skirt). I think I fail my look in the mirror test, I just don’t like what I see. I guess my legs aren’t that great. ;)

TBG: It's certainly good that you can look at yourself with a critical eye and understand what will and won't work for you. To quote a line by Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force (the second Dirty Harry movie), "A man's just gotta know his limitations". You have to go with what you know will look good on you, as long as you can recognize that, you'll succeed in developing your special look. By the way, at the risk of tooting my own horn, I like to think I look damn good in a short skirt and pumps. Heh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I stopped at Sam’s on the way home this evening. I wore a dark olive green turtleneck, a tan suede coat, a blue denim skirt, white hose, and blue leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. The colors did work well together. I had a choice of wearing the blue boots with brown pants (that I had on at work), but opted for the blue denim skirt strictly because the colors worked better. I had time so I wandered around the store. Several of the employees went out of their way to greet me which I appreciated. The whole shopping experience was uneventful but I did notice a group of three adults that seemed to be enjoying themselves at my expense. I figured that was part of the price for wearing a skirt and thigh boots in public and I suspect had I been female I would have gotten a similar bit of attention form the group. Tonight was about the skirt looking better than the slacks rather than just wanting to wear a skirt, but I still had a good time. ;)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I unexpectedly needed to go shopping after work and I didn’t have a pair of thigh boots with me. I was wearing blue leather knee high boots with 2¾” block heels under my jeans at work. I wanted to go a little farther than just wearing these boots over my jeans. I stopped at the Goodwill and they were having a 50% off sale on all clothing so I picked up a blue denim skirt that looked good with the boots. I went shopping wearing a dark blue turtleneck, tan suede leather jacket, denim knee length skirt, blue knee high boots and black hose. This looked very casual and coordinated. It was also a very comfortable outfit. I went into Sam’s and took my time wandering around. I did get a few more looks than I do when I wear my thigh boots. I haven’t figured out why that is, but I have noticed it every time I’m not wearing my thigh boots. In the parking lot I think I was the object of some amusement for a group of guys but I paid them no mind. After Sam’s I went into Walgreen’s. I recognized the register clerk and we exchanged greetings. Again, I wandered around and got what I needed. I still got the feeling more people noticed this outfit than when I wear my thigh boots. It might be me being overly aware of the attention I got wearing the knee high boots, or it might be that my wearing thigh boots with 5” stilettos is so over the top that people really do write me off and don’t offer attention. The knee high boots were much more main stream and may have actually been more threatening to others. Or, it may be that I just have cute knees which are normally not visible. ;) I’ll have to think on this for a while. Any opinions are welcome. :cool1:

I think you have answered your own question. 5" thighboots are stage/ non-mainstrean, 2.75" kneeboots are everyday staple attire erco, brain has to be used and fails to fit input into preconcieved pigeon hole.

totter along into history

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great afternoon. I stopped by the local Goodwill (thrift store) before work. Clothing was 50% off and I found a red suede knee length skirt by St. John’s Bay for $2. I took off from work a couple of hours early wearing a black turtleneck and dawned my new skirt, and black leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. This outfit look nice together. I drove to a nearby town and visited the Goodwill there. These folks had never seen me before and I got a couple of surprised looks but no negative comments or reactions. I even got a few nice smiles. I wandered through the store but didn’t find what I was looking for. I started driving home and stopped at a third Goodwill. I have been there before but the staff that was there was new and didn’t know me. I got a cordial greeting. After wandering around for a while and not finding what I was looking for I went back out to the car then changed my mind and went back in and picked up a black velour turtleneck for $2. It which looks very formal compared to the black cotton one I was wearing. At the register I asked the clerk (young girl) if this outfit looked Ok. She looked me over and said, “Yeah, it looks nice.” I said, “Thanks, I know its a little different.” “Well, we should all be a little different.” I left and got out to the car and changed shirts then drove to a Payless shoe store that I had been to many times. When I got out of the car I saw my reflection and decided the black velour turtleneck was too much and changed back to my cotton one. When I went in, the place was packed with customers. I looked around at the size 12s but didn’t see anything I wanted to try on. Next I went to Sam’s. I wandered around getting my stuff and just enjoying myself. I didn’t recognize any of the register clerks so I just got into a line. The clerk was a young black guy who didn’t seem bothered by ringing up a sale for a guy in a skirt and boots. When we were done I asked him, ”Does this look Ok?” I almost stumbled when he said, “Yeah, I’d wear it.” This really is a most comfortable way to dress, even with the thigh boots and 5” heels. I’m starting to see why the gals like it. :roll:

post-928-133522856897_thumb.jpg

I unexpectedly needed to go shopping after work and I didn’t have a pair of thigh boots with me. I was wearing blue leather knee high boots with 2¾” block heels under my jeans at work. I wanted to go a little farther than just wearing these boots over my jeans. I stopped at the Goodwill and they were having a 50% off sale on all clothing so I picked up a blue denim skirt that looked good with the boots. I went shopping wearing a dark blue turtleneck, tan suede leather jacket, denim knee length skirt, blue knee high boots and black hose. This looked very casual and coordinated. It was also a very comfortable outfit.

I went into Sam’s and took my time wandering around. I did get a few more looks than I do when I wear my thigh boots. I haven’t figured out why that is, but I have noticed it every time I’m not wearing my thigh boots. In the parking lot I think I was the object of some amusement for a group of guys but I paid them no mind.

After Sam’s I went into Walgreen’s. I recognized the register clerk and we exchanged greetings. Again, I wandered around and got what I needed. I still got the feeling more people noticed this outfit than when I wear my thigh boots.

It might be me being overly aware of the attention I got wearing the knee high boots, or it might be that my wearing thigh boots with 5” stilettos is so over the top that people really do write me off and don’t offer attention. The knee high boots were much more main stream and may have actually been more threatening to others. Or, it may be that I just have cute knees which are normally not visible. :roll: I’ll have to think on this for a while. Any opinions are welcome.

Hmm! Curious. If I were to venture an opinion, I'd say it might have something to do with the boots, not the style, but the color. Perhaps I don't get out enough, but it's rare when I see anyone, regardless of the gender wearing blue boots, it's just not a color you see every day. Now, if the boots were say, black or brown, I don't think you would've drawn as much attention as you had. Or perhaps you had encountered a group of people who were just startled at seeing a man in a skirt. Who can say for sure. Now, you shouldn't give up on that outfit because of an oveabundance of double takes and the like. Perhaps you could wear that outfit again with your thigh boots and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the reactions are muted. Give that a try and let us know what happens.

This post is not strictly about heels.

I mentioned in another post that I found a lambskin leather skirt that felt too good to pass up (especially for $4). The skirt is a Vakko of New York, I think it is a premiere Turkish manufacturer. Well the skirt was a size 12 and I normally wear a 14 or 16 depending on how tapered the skirt is at the waist. Anyway the waist band was very tight. I could reduce my waste to get the skirt zipped but it was not comfortable and I didn’t like putting that much strain on the material. Although I didn’t like hurting the skirt, I installed two elastic gussets, one on each side of the waist, that lets the waist band stretch enough to fit me.

I wore the skirt out around the neighborhood tonight along with tight stretch pants and ankle boots with 2” heels.

JeffB -

The blue boots are a dark blue that goes well with the blue denim. I have worn the same outfit with blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos, which are royal blue, and didn’t get the same reaction (see previous post). I still think it was my cute knees. :roll:

JeffB -

The blue boots are a dark blue that goes well with the blue denim. I have worn the same outfit with blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos, which are royal blue, and didn’t get the same reaction (see previous post). I still think it was my cute knees. :roll:

Cute knees, eh? Well, perhaps I over-analyzed. That may just have been the reason! HA!

I had a one of the best outings this afternoon I have had in a loooong time. I wore a white turtleneck and light slacks to work along with black leather knee high boots with 2” block heels (worn under my slacks). The gal in the next cube is a good friend and she knows I wear boots to work (but not about my thigh boots). She normally wears boots with 5” heels under her slacks. When the temperature warmed up we were lamenting about the end of boot season but today we both came in wearing boots and we had fun joking about it. After work I changed from the slack to my new black lamb skin skirt. I also had on black opaque tights and I pulled on my black leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. The black bottom half and the white upper half made a nice looking outfit with nice contrast. I went to the same Walgreen’s and Sam’s I have visited many times and there were the same two stores where I felt uncomfortable a few weeks ago wearing dark blue knee high boots with a denim shirt. Anyway, in Walgreen’s I walked in and got a cart and wandered around a bit before I got my stuff. One end of the store has mirrors above the shelves that tilt downward so that if you glance up you can see the whole isle behind you. I saw myself and thought I looked good (if you like leather) but I also saw that no one paid any attention to me. At the register, the clerk, who has seen me many times, greeted me like a long lost friend. I then drove over to Sam’s, grabbed a shopping cart and headed into the store. The staff greeted me and no one batted an eye. I wandered around a bit then a lady near my age stopped me and asked, “Excuse me, those boots really look great, can you tell me where you got them?” “Why thank you, you can find the on the web.” “Aren’t there any stores in the area that carry them? The only boots I can find come to just below the knee.” “No the only one that I knew of has closed.” “I used to have a pair that tall and I wore them out.” “Yeah, these have been resoled and I’m on my fifth pair of heel tops.” I told her about a couple of web sites and makers and models to look for. When I told her about the price of my boots she was stunned. She said, “Your kidding, I spent $700 to $800 dollars for my pair.” “Well, these are pig skin...” “Your kidding... they really look nice and soft. Pig skin isn’t a bad idea because you don’t have to be as careful as you do with lamb skin.” We then talked about the colors and styles available. She knew a lot about boots and leather clothing and she was surprised that I could talk about brands and style numbers. She said, “I used to do a lot of travelling in my work. I’m retired now and I don’t get a chance to travel much and I do miss going to New York and California. Cincinnati is such a ...” “Conservative?” “Yeah, ultra conservative place. I really miss being able to wear boots and leather. When I saw you, I really felt like I was back in the swing of things again. You really look fantastic!”. After recovering from that complement I said, “Thank you very much... I normally wear the with jeans...” “That would look good, but the skirt looks great”. We bid each other goodbye and I headed for the register. I chatted with the register clerk who knew me well. I asked her, “How does this look?” “Doesn’t bother me none.” “I know that, but how does it look?” “It looks Ok.” “What would you change?” She looked me over again and said, “Well I don’t wear stuff that short, maybe a longer skirt.” I thanked her and headed out to my car. I had a great time and have learned my lesson about trying to put something together that looks coordinated (Thanks JeffB). (I'm writing this several hours after getting home and I'm still flying high.) :roll:

• 1 month later...

This morning I decided I would go shopping on the way home tonight so I wore a long sleeved white turtleneck. After work that was the base for a short leather skirt, white hose and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Basically black and white with a red accent belt It’s kind of hard to mess that up. I stopped at Sam’s. As I was walking in two folks in front of me (mother and son of high school age) seemed to be amused (to the point of laughing) by my appearance. I didn’t say anything, but I did manage to be is the same isles they were in for the next several minutes. I tended my own business and didn’t say a word but their merriment seemed to drain. Anyway, I went on and did my shopping and just thoroughly enjoyed be out and about. I spent time looking at stuff I didn’t need, then at stuff I didn’t want. I was just having a good time. I did speak to one young lady and recommended a product she was considering. I got a nice smile and a thank you. The best part of the evening was that absolutely nothing eventful happened. I was just out and about dressed in a manner I enjoy. :roll:

TBG: You continue to amaze me with your outings in your skirts and boots. Damn! I certainly wish I had the nerve to do what you do because it sounds like you have lots of fun. I'm glad you took my advice about coordinating your outfits, as I've said before, looking your best is half the battle, and if you present a stylish and tasteful image, that goes a long way towards dispelling the image of men in heels (and in your case, skirts) as being freakish. More power to you!

I feel the same way; I like a jeans skirt when shopping; just seems to seem "right", but most of the time am satisfied with nifty footwear; 4" heeled clogs are low-key, yet I find them to be "Just what the doctor ordered". And yes, I'll occasionally wear heeled pumps, although wearing them takes practice. (See my post on picking up my repaired computer).

Hello, I have several pair of (extreme) high heeled boots. When my girlfriend was still alive, we wandered through the Rembrandpark in Amsterdam quite often. She on her high heeled pumps, I on one my pair of boots with (mostly) a tight skirt, in one of her coats and hats (to be not recognized) I loved that outings, especially on summer days. I loved the feeling of the wind through my stockings. I don't think I'm a real CD: only from my waist. I like to wear corsets, garters stockings and heels. Now adays I can wear my clothing just at home. Miss the outings very much!!!!

I’ve just had a couple of fun outings. Yesterday I went out, sketchbook in hand, and headed for a local park. I was wearing a black short sleeved turtleneck, black sheer hose, black leather skirt, and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I headed for the park and found a picnic table with an interesting view and started sketching. I was the only one in the area and having a good time. I did notice a guy strolling around that looked like he was heading for the same area but when he saw me sitting there, he headed in a different direction. When I finished, I headed for another area about a mile away and found another table and went to work again. Again there was no one in the immediate area. As I left the park, I noticed there was about fifty people having a meeting in the first area I visited. I might have been interesting had I been 30 minutes later. Today I went for lunch at a Bob Evans wearing a long sleeved white shirt, jeans and my boots. The manager raised an eyebrow when I walked in but seated me without comment. Folks walking by my table seemed to give my boots a glance but that was it. The waitress didn't mind at all. After lunch I switched the jeans for the black leather skirt and went to a Sam’s I don’t normally visit. I spent a long time just wandering around. As luck would have it, I picked up a bottle of wine and the botton broke out and dumped the entire content all over the shopping cart. Fortunately, neither my boots nor skirt got much on them but my hat (baseball cap) was in the cart and got soaked. The event did get some attention from the staff and they got to help out the guy in boots and a skirt. As I was in the register line, I noticed one of the manager types glancing my way a couple of times. When she walked by I asked her, “Too much?” “No, it just caught me a little off guard.” She looked me over a bit more and said, “It doesn’t look bad at all. Everybody ought to do their own thing.” :thumbsup:

TBG: Wow! Is there no end to your fascinating adventures? Inquiring minds want to know! I know it must take a considerable amount of effort for you to go out and about in a skirt and thigh boots, but you continue to amaze me with your boldness and courage. One day, I hope to follow in your footsteps!

On the same scale of bravery and level of courage to me, JeffB, is the comments you used to post, along with the pictures of you wearing your pumps at your desk at your job. I wonder if those great pictures you used to post of you wearing pumps and some great matching outfits, are still in the archives?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've done the skirt thing a few times, but like to confine my alternative attire to footwear. Use pumps occasionally, but really like hh clogs. Not too obvious, but the elevation of the heel, combined with the freedom of their being open-back, gives me a sensation beyond words. Let's hear it for Ohio in October, if not sooner.:smile::thumbsup::wink1:

On the same scale of bravery and level of courage to me, JeffB, is the comments you used to post, along with the pictures of you wearing your pumps at your desk at your job. I wonder if those great pictures you used to post of you wearing pumps and some great matching outfits, are still in the archives?

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate what you said. Still, what I used to do pales in comparison to TBG going out and about in a skirt. Sure, it took nerve for me to prance about in pumps at where I worked and avoid getting fired for being a weirdo, some days, when I think back on it all, I amaze myself for having gotten away with what I did, especially since I wore all kinds of colors, including red, white, even lime green. If memory serves, I was working up the nerve to show up in pink when I was transferred to another facility which had a strict dress code and reluctantly had to go back to men's shoes. As for those old pics, sadly I took them down when I went through a purge a few years ago, I'll have to check and see if I still have them on somewhere on my hard drive.

Sure, it took nerve for me to prance about in pumps at where I worked and avoid getting fired for being a weirdo, some days, when I think back on it all, I amaze myself for having gotten away with what I did, especially since I wore all kinds of colors, including red, white, even lime green.

I've often wondered if this isn't precisely the reason you were transferred out of your old office into your currnet job?

Often, when an problem employee presents a dilemaa that management needs to "handle," the expedient solution is to transfer the employee into a division where conditions are such that the problem automatically "goes away'. Which, to me in this case, is unfortinuate.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've often wondered if this isn't precisely the reason you were transferred out of your old office into your currnet job?

Often, when an problem employee presents a dilemaa that management needs to "handle," the expedient solution is to transfer the employee into a division where conditions are such that the problem automatically "goes away'. Which, to me in this case, is unfortinuate.

Nahh! It wasn't like that at all. Neither my supervisors or management had a problem with my wearing women's shoes, all they cared about was the quality of the work I did, not my eclectic fashion sense. Actually, the transfer as the new facility included a pay raise, and since I'm far from rich, I jumped on that with both feet and never had any regrets.

Thanks for the feedback. At least I now know that you were selected "solely" on merit. Congratulations on your promotion and pay raise. :thumbsup:

...Actually, the transfer as the new facility included a pay raise, and since I'm far from rich, I jumped on that with both feet and never had any regrets....

Hope you didn't break a heel!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!! Congrats (albeit belatedly) on the promotion.

Hope you didn't break a heel!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!! Congrats (albeit belatedly) on the promotion.

HA! That's a good one!

I stopped at Walgreen’s tonight wearing a black knit short sleeved shirt, black leather knee high boots with a 2” block heel, and a denim knee length skirt. These are the boots I wear at work under my slacks. When I walked in a few heads turned but I went about looking for the item I wanted. At the register the clerk knew me from having worn thigh boots and jeans or a skirt so she didn’t bat an eye and greeted me like a long lost customer. The outfit didn’t look bad but it needed hose. My knees were fully exposed and they aren’t as cute as JeffB’s which I thought was the basis of office jealousy that made him change jobs. :thumbsup::smile:

....My knees were fully exposed and they aren’t as cute as JeffB’s which I thought was the basis of office jealousy that made him change jobs. :thumbsup:

:smile:

My knees? Cute? HA! That's only because you're seeing them through the prism of pantyhose. Trust me, without hosiery, they're not that attractive! :wink1:

Today I went to work wearing slacks, a knit short sleeved shirt, and black leather knee high boots with 2” block heels (worn under my slacks). After work I swapped the slacks for a white cotton skirt that falls just above my knee and went shopping at Sam’s. I was not wearing hose and, like JeffB, my knees look better through hose. I walked in with a cart and as I walked past the greeters I dropped a credit card and had to stoop down to retrieve it. I was earlier in the day than normal and it turned out there was a different staff on duty so these folks had never seen me before. Everyone (including the greeters) took a guy in a skirt and boots in stride and didn’t seemed bothered at all. I did notice a few of the other shoppers taking a second glance but no one seemed to care. In the checkout line I chatted with the lady behind me with no mention of my skirt or boots. Although I do like leather skirts, cloth ones sure are comfortable. :thumbsup: