Lunchtime shopping

Fog

Jim & Dawn, Indeed the first pair are very suitable for being out and about in. As I say, I am looking forward to the next time the UK heelmeet comes to London and I can take a long lunch and join the guys for a bite too eat. The second pair are also nice to walk in, but you do have to watch out for inperfections in the surface, ie gaps between the paving stones on what we call the pavement (aka sidewalk). The heel on them is 8mm D shape. I did think the heel being so much further forward would make them strange to walk in compared to the block heels, but actually, it is just fine. They'll be in for new heel tips long before the block heels :wink: TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

Seeing at Next crops up quite a bit in this thread, and I can't remember if this has been said anywhere else, however, it certainly won't hurt to mention it again. Next are now going upto size UK9(EU43). I take a size 43.5-44 shoe, so as they have a nice free try at home service with free carriage, I though I might order these [...edited...]

Next also have a next-day delivery service, gotta say this is impressive. So they arrived lunchtime today. I was a little apprehensive that they would be too tight and I would have to send them back. To my delight, they both fit beautifully without tightnesss. [...] Joy, I have found a source of shoes that fit and are not from a fettish source.

The first pair are ankle length boots with side zip. Plain leather without any detail. A nice rounded toebox and worn with correct length trousers, ie just breaking as they touch the shoe, look as if they are perfectly normal gents shoes sticking out of the trousers. The length in the toebox is generous, so my toes don't come near the front at all. You want a 3.5" heel that is comfortable, look no further. Bonus is they are Italian made.

Turning to the Trouser Boot. The heel is much further forward that the Next photo suggests, however, they are still nice to walk in. Again nice soft leather, but this time they are from Vietnam. The heeltip is plastic, so quite stealthy on hard surfaces. The toebox is current fashion, long and pointed, and has a centre seam detail. Again, there is plenty of room in there for my size 43.5 feet. but the "winkle-picker" style for men has yet to come around to be common. However, they will be nice for the next heel-meet in London. I expect that Next will be on the route somewhere whenever the London heelmeet gets arranged.

So there you go. Two super buys. :oops: ~ TB2

hi Thighboots,

yes, I'd noticed Next did 42s and 43s from eBay auctions. someone mentioned the online store recently too, but it is a teeny bit frustrating. There are lots of options with 7.5, 8 and 8.5cm heels but very little beyond that. Also while there are many long knee boots there is only a limited offering of ankle boots which are both cheaper and less risky with calf room - you found the best of them. A good selection are also offered in wide fittings too (though not your two buys). On sizing - of course there is variation with each style - I reckon their 41 is a 7.5, the 42 a reasonably generous 8 and the 43 a generous 9 too; do you find it goes like that too?

Your first pair are winners, the gently tapered heel is one of the best shapes for discretion - a little less heel flash and they mirror cowboy and cuban heels.

The second 'trouser boot' is a touch more adventurous and you mention the underslung heel shape; it does a couple of things, it make the shoes look smaller with your larger sz9s and the underslung heel is easier to walk in than a straight down pencil heel - just sketch the geometry on some paper and you'll soon see why. However that is not always the point if you want the feel of as much heel as possible!! :wink::lol:

I do wonder how the gals don't ruin their stilettos every other time they go out - you can't have your nose down to spot every footpath crack and cobble stone!

I did some "Lunchtime window shopping" in the West End last week which was mainly to check the new season's offering than do any buying prior to a more mundane mission to John Lewis. Only Dolcis had much left on the Sale racks thought the size8s were as good as cleaned out. I did go in Next but it was a small dept. and didn't linger long - I was scanning for wedges. I wonder whether they have a full complement of size8s and 9s actually in stock in the shops. I think the store near Marble Arch is a bigger one.

/I

The trick here is to spot your obstacles early and keep a mental note of where they are so you don't have to look down to avoid them. Once you know the potential obstacles approximate location, perepheral vision should take care of the rest. That's how I do it anyway.

Whoops sorry Ionic the above quote is yours. My mistake as I apparently deleted the wrong set of quotes from my post.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted:-) I tend to spot walking obstacles very much the way that you do with the mental note. That way you don't have to look down as often and can look ahead for poles rising up out of the pavement before they smack you in the forehead. Although...looking down occasionally has afforded me some coins and the odd paper money from time to time. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

TB2 - I also liked the first pair - lots of room for one's toes. I hate scrunched toes!

As for lunchtime shopping...

I got real bold, today...

I was lounging around in my black denim skirt (ankle-length) and heeled wing-tip granny boots when I decided to go to a cafe' for lunch. I was wearing my dark, charcoal pseudo-silk shirt, and was out my door and half-way to my care before I realized I hadn't changed to pants, which is what I normally wear (and I rarely wear heels out in the daytime).

I've been moving more towards a "whatever" attitude about most things these days, not disrespectful, just not really caring about what others think.

So, after stopping and debating whether to go back and change for about three seconds, I said, "whatever," and drove off in my car.

I thought about going to a different village than normal, but remembered that the larger the city/village and the more people, the more likely people will ignore you for being different.

So, I parked, and walked the block and a half to a favorite cafe', right next to a large, old church.

I arrived just before noon, and was treated to many things, including the sight of women walking by in skirts of all styles and lengths. Most were wearing heels. Then, the bells tolled. Since they're real, they're also real loud, booming, almost deafening.

Wonderful!

The hostess came during the tolling, which lasts for about 10 minutes around here, sort of a mini-celebration at noon and usually again in the evening, around five. My hostess asked me if I'd like a menu, before noticing my skirt and heels. Her eyes grew a little wider, then she half asked, half stated, "you're in heels..?"

"Yes," I replied, before ordering a glass of wine.

"And a skirt..?" she said, leaning back into an upright stance, with an obvious display of disapproval on her face.

"Yes - why do you ask?"

"That's unusual. It's not normal."

"Hmmm..." I hummed loudly, trying to overcome the dinning of the bells.

Then, she apologized, saying, "I didn't mean that there's anything wrong with it. But it's the first time I've seen it."

I grinned, and said, "there's a first time for everything." Her grin back wasn't very reassuring.

When she returned with my glass of wine, she asked me why I was wearing them. I explained why I enjoyed wearing skirts and heels, and she said she could understand that, but wanted to know why I, as a man, wore women's clothing.

I replied that skirts are still commonly worn by men throughout the world, and that heels were worn by men for many years before they became a woman's fashion trend, and that men's heels saw a resurgence in the mid-70s. We discussed it for a few more minutes, and she was actually quite knowledgeable, mentioning some of the countries where the styles of dress include men wearing non-bifurcated garments like skirts, kilts, sarongs, tunics, robes, etc. She asked me about men wearing heels, however, and seemed dubious when I told her about the history of high heels, that it began with horsemen, to keep their shoes from slipping out of their stirrups, and that a cowboy's riding heel has always been higher than your average male heel as a result. I also shared with her how the French men of the court began wearing ever-higher heels for years before the women followed suite. She was aware of the 70's craze, and that's what she called it, "crazy."

As she left to attend other customers, I asked her, "well, what's your honest opinion? Does it look totally out of place, or does it look stylish?"

She thought for a minute, then said, "Both," before grinning, turning, and walking off.

When she delivered my check, after lunch, she added, "I've seen lots of things around here, and compared to some, that's not so bad."

I attributed the flavor of her comment to her personality and the language barrier, but I took it to mean that a man wearing a skirt and heels is by no means the weirdest thing around.

And that's good news for us all!

Gang, Glad u like the boots. I agree with Ionic that the first pair with the slightly tapering heel are very unisex and I have no problem with wearing them out and about. When u look from above, the sole also projects from the upper and fake stitching is moulded into the top surface giving and even more "Guy" shoe look. This is plainly visible from the top shot in my photo kink in my first post on this matter. Ionic, to answer your question, yes I find the size 43 to be generous as I would normally be ordering size 44. The width of my choices is OK for me, but I may just try one of those that are offered in a wide fitting. Lets hope that where Next lead, others follow with size 43 and even size 44 as there are many women these days who have feet this size (my niece for one). The second pair are still nice to wear, but already I have had to replace the heel tip :lol: . The plastic they were made from was very soft and so wore and deformed easily. I hope the next set wear better, but with 13.5 stone or 187lbs bearing down on them instead of the usual lady weight of 10 stone or 140lbs (being cautious here), I guess its not surprising. metal tips would be sensible to get longevity, but then they are not so quiet. Doing stiletto heels in public is one thing, but that lovely metalic sound just doesn't help you blend in. Happy days. :wink: TB2

hi TB2,

Next did these boots in 42 and 43 some time back, with these 42s at the tail end of an eBay auction today:

\/eBay Next boots auction\/

Posted Image

The 43s are very big on me and I've used them quite a bit in mid-winter with thick socks. Rather surprisingly I got a big reaction once from someone waiting in a crowd at a bus stop. It was between the pulse of traffic across the 4 lane wide one way system and I heard '.......HIGH HEELS" probably preceeded by {He's wearing...}. After a few seconds I tried to turn round non-chalantly but couldn't see where it came from but it must have been called out very loudly.

Odd really because the <3" heels would have been half masked by the trousers; I suppose they splay slightly, flashing the heel, and the boots are pretty weighty (nice solid soles) so perhaps I was rather clumping as they're a size large. Also at bus stops people have nothing to do but watch the passers by and they had a low viewing angle across the wide street despite the distance. I now tend to walk right through that particular row of bus stops now.

/I

Dr1819:-) That certainly was an interesting conversation that you had with that waitress about your wearing a skirt and heels. I wonder if it would have been such if you were wearing only heels. Try visiting there again in a skirt and heels and see if her attitude is any different as that was the first time that she had seen such a sight on a man. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

dr1819, That was great outing with the hostess in the cafe and you handled it perfectly. You have overcome a big hurdle and conquered.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Well, I think I'll add my weekend shopping experiences. Went to Brighton with my girlfriend for the day on Saturday. We didn't buy anything but we browsed Primark and the George store in town while I was sporting my Clarks petra slings with jeans. Tried on some boots to get an idea of what I'm after. George had a pair of leather black pointed stilletto ankle boots (heel roughly 3") for roughly £25. I tried them on and they fit very well, but resisted the urge to buy them as I don't want to go over board this month and they will be around for a long time as they are a popular classic. Primark had some black leather round toe with 3.5-4" medium thick heels for £17. Tried them on and they fit well but resisted the urge again! (I'll probably kick myself as they will be gone when I can buy them!) Primark and especially Schuh (which we visited in Oxford on Friday) have a great selection of shoes this season which are going to make me bankrupt if I'm not careful! :wink: On Sunday, me and my girlfriend went to a car boot sale at the Kassam Stadium in Oxford. We looked around and the most the shoes we looked at weren't in our sizes. This was until we stumbled on one lady who had a box full of shoes - many in our sizes. We had a rumage through, there were some I liked but wasn't sure about (now I thinking maybe I should've bought some of them as they were so cheap!), but then there was a pair of beige suede stilletto boots the saleslady showed me. She said they were a size 8 (she guessed that I was looking for shoes for myself!), but the tips needed re-heeling. She offered them to me for a whopping 10p! I immediately decided to buy them. My girlfriend bought a pair of cute wedges for 50p, so all we spent was 60p! Not bad eh? :oops: Now I have to sort out getting the boots re-heeled which shouldn't cost too much I hope. I'm definitely going to go to more car boot sales in the future to fish out some real bargains! :lol: Today (Monday), we went to Bicester Village Factory Outlet. I intended to spend no money but ended up purchasing a pair of shoes from Clarks. A pair of 2.25" heeled, black leather ankle strap court shoes for £20. They are a style I was after and the size 7.5 fit wonderfully - no size 8s (re-inforcing the fact that I'm probably more a mens size 7.5/EU41.5 without socks - well in Clarks anyway!). I also ended up buying a men's black Guess? sweater for £15 from the Designer Room, but that's going off topic now. A good shopping experience this weekend. I'll post pics up soon.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Heel-D, Sounds like a nice pair of boots and definitely worthy of heel tap replacement. I'd love to see pics if possible.

Well there is certainly an outbreak of boldness in this thread, so let me add experience.

Sunday, I was going to a company reunion BBQ so jeans and cowboy boots were the order of the day. I got my boots from tallgirls and they have a 2.25" heel. With me I also had my trouser boots and when I left home, I changed into them to help in the wearing in process whilst I drove. I had a 3 hour or so drive to the party.

Posted Image

I needed to stop off for some beer and food to cook at the BBQ and stopped at a large supermarket. I had a quick debate with myself about changing back into my cowboy boot (which no one has EVER commented on except to say they like them even if they are not current mens fashion). The very recent postings on here flashed through my mind, so I felt it was time to test it out myself. My jeans were long enough to look right in the heels. The hem finishing just 1" above the ground.

So I got out of the car and found myself a trolley and headed formt he store. The store was busy, not overly so, but busy enough. I made my way through picking up the things I needed for the party and through the checkout. Took about 20 mins in all, then back to the car to unload.

Nice thing about supermarkets is they have nice big windows that are perfect mirrors, so I could see what the heels looked like from the side as I walked. When standing, my jeans would leave about 1" of heel showing, but as I walked, the heels were nicely visible. Best of all, I didn't hear any comments.

Round to fill up with petrol and still no comments or looks I could detect. Amazing. So I carried on my journey. I had to stop for a call of nature at a service station and repeated the exercise again with no apparent reaction.

All this is happening in broad daylight between 12pm and 3pm.

For those of you who have not tried this, give it a try. It beats the lonely midnight walks.

TB2

Congrats, Thighboots2! Isn't it amazing how easy it actually is. I think the men in heels revolution is beginning to gain momentum. :wink:

I had a little shopping trip in Banbury with Mrs F on the way home from the weekend in Shropshire, not in heels unfortunately. In New Look I spotted and bought a pair of kitten heel wellies, for a fiver I just had to have them. They're surprisingly comfortable and quite fetishy. Today we went to Leather Lane market. I put on a pair of pointy toe 4" stiletto ankle boots with the zip up the back when I was on the district line (it's getting too easy). I didn't get any reaction whatever - apart from Mrs F when I met her. She was a little uneasy as she'd just seen a colleague. There wasn't much in the shoe stalls, although I saw another guy get lucky with a pair of faith wedge sandals. It's surprising how many men you see buying heels! And why not too. Another first for me was trying a ladies blouse on in a street market, shame it didn't fit - and the one I did buy looks much better on Mrs F than it does on me - so it's hers. I didn't want to take my boots off, but at about 6.30 pm when there were only about four people on our floor I put them back on. I worked for another half hour or so without my boss Dave noticing, this is no good I thought so just as he was leaving I said "what do you think of my boots". Dave's gay and very stylish and I was pleased with his reaction, " Oh my goodness, very snazzy - especially with the trousers. I can't wear them - I once wore 2" heels on a marble floor and slid all over the place" I'm wondering what he's going to say to my colleagues tomorrow. They've already noticed and complimented me on my 1 1/2" wedges. This may not be the place for it, but if anyone fancies meeting up for a quick hour shopping at lunch time pm me. I don't want to put this on the heel meet board as I don't want to organise anything as it could be a lot of hassle and I don't have many weekends free or much leave left.

Despite how they are meant, a wolf whistle will always put a smile on my face.

I don't believe the younger crowd really understand what a "wolf whistle" respresents. Do you?

If they did, they would probably be the red faced ones.

Well, Dave didn't mention my heels the next morning (friday) and hasn't mentioned it since. I went out for another little trip on Friday lunch time wearing the same pointy toe stilletto boots, this time to the Kings Road - again without incident. I saw one of the secretaries that I know from another of our buildings - "oh dear" I thought, but I didn't get any reaction apart from "hello". You get a better reaction from sales staff when you're wearing heels, like they think you are serious about buying something. Which is a fair assumption as you already own one pair of heels that they can see. In Pied de terre the assistant tried hard to sell me a lovely pair of pink pull on calf boots, they were 55 down from 186. Had £55 been a matter of no consequence I'd have walked out with them and the other pair in size 38 for Mrs. F, but unfortunately I have to look after the pennies. I'm hoping to get out in some heels tomorrow lunch time, this is getting addictive!

For those that are curious: (from an online dictionary) wolf whistle n. A typically two-note whistle made by a boy or man as an expression of sexual attention, often unsolicited, to a girl or woman. --wolf whistle v.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Today was another excursion at lunchtime. I needed to get an adaptor for the video output port on my Laptop. I had been wearing the following today for about an hour before lunchtime, and was half way to the car before I remembered I had them on.

Posted Image

So into the Petrol station to fill the car before gooing to the PC shop. Wearing the grey trousers of previous posts which leaves 1" of heel showing when not walking and whatever when I am. No looks whatsoever there. Into the PC supermarket to browse for the bit. Again, no adverse reaction from anyone.

Now that thighhigs in another thread ( society and heels) has seen and posted a link to "dior homme" where you find 6.5cm heeled boots for men, I like the brown zipup boot, the fashion trend is now set. They will be copied. It shouldn't be too long before moderate heels are fully in for us now (ever living in hope)

Certainly wearing these heels out and about is not an issue for me, and should anyone ever wish to remark upon them, I would say that as a young chap in the 70's, heels for men were all the fashion, I just haven't moved with the times.

TB2

Hi guys. I had a great little excursion today. Last night I had a train disaster and didn't get home until after 1pm. I didn't take my boots with me and wore old levis and socks. I bought some knee highs on the way into work, but then considered that my courts would look daft with visibly old levis with oil stains from my bike chain that hadn't completely washed out. But by lunch time I was ready for a bit of shopping. I decided to check out a shop I'd seen near Trafalgar Square. I didn't change my shoes or put hose on as I wasn't intending to buy just look. The shop had the usual rubbish most of which was £5. I spotted a pair of black suede lace up knee boots with a 4" stiletto heel size 9M,Posted Image

I presumed that is American sizing and tried the one on. The foot fitted but the shaft was a little tight, but my jeans were quite thick and I reckoned wearing hose and thinner trousers they'd be fine. I asked the assistant to buy them and after a few minutes she brought another pair back to the counter. Size 6 she said, that's the only size we've got. I decided to try them on again - they were ok, they'd got 6 & 9 mixed up. I put both on tucked my jeans in and laced them up. I stood up to go to look at them in the mirror and a lady in her late 50s who was waiting, said "They're nice, what are you going to wear them with? and then went on to say "You look amazing in them" I thanked her. Compliments from complete strangers are quite gratifying. All the time one of the sales staff looked as if she'd never seen a bloke in heels before - perhaps she hadn't.

Posted Image

I walked back to work in a happy mood through St James's park thinking how lovely London is. When I got back to work there were very few colleagues and the few that were there didn't notice my very large boot box. By the way they only cost a fiver. They had a pair of silver satin boots in my size for the same price, but the shaft was too narrow for my thighs - shame.

Heel-D,

Sounds like a nice pair of boots and definitely worthy of heel tap replacement. I'd love to see pics if possible.

Right, here are the pics of the boots in question...

Posted Image

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/SuedeTanpointyankleboots3.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/SuedeTanpointyankleboots1.jpg

Heel has been mended and I think it's a very nice boot! In good nick, should be great for street heeling.

Today, I was naughty. Me and my girlfriend went to the local car boot sale again. I bought myself 2 pairs of boots for 50p each. The pics are below.

Posted Image

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/PointAnkleBootsstrap2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/PointAnkleBootsstrap3.jpg

I like the strap detail (you can see it more clearly on the links). Very comfortable leather boots.

Posted Image

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/BlackRoundToeAnkleBoots2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/BlackRoundToeAnkleBoots1.jpg

These ones are a US 9.5 but they fit me well. They're manmade materials. A bit snug across the bridge of my feet, but apart from that they're comfortable.

On the way home we passed by Peacocks and bought these:

Posted Image

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/Blackchunkyankleboots1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/Blackchunkyankleboots2.jpg

Perfect street heeling boots. Manmade materials. They feel like flats - which is odd because I can only wear high heels occasionally! Nonetheless they are great boots, they have decent heels, and I will give them a spin next weekend. :wink:

On Saturday, I bought a pair of cute white flat ballerina pumps and a pair of Italian brown leather 3" courts from a couple of charity shops. (£4 a pop IIRC) I'll post pics of these later.

Sorry about the poor quality pics, my digital camera isn't great!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005