Lunchtime shopping

Fog

Thanks for the pix Heel-D. I would most definitely spend the rather small cost of having the heel taps replaced on those boots. The important thing is not how much the boots cost you, but how much you like them.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning everybody, Crotchhiboots, sorry I haven't got a digital camera. I'd really like to be able to post some pictures of my purchases, they certainly would add a lot to my posts. I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment. The time's come to take seriously the concept of having so much money and it's got to last to the end of the month! I've just re-mortgaged to buy a house in France, which is going to restrict me to £5 boots. Heelson, the shop I mentioned is called Chockers, it's on the south side of The Strand, between Charing Cross Station and Trafalgar Square. A lot of what they have in stock is rubbish. I went back there Wednesday (I'm a bit behind with my posts) and tried on the pair of silver satin knee boots I tried the day before. The shafts weren't big enough to look good over trousers. I might go back again and get them though - not today though, It's going to be cricket in the canteen! Nothing else to report about last Wednesday's excursion apart from running for a bus in 4" heels isn't such a good idea. The next day I saw a pair of red 3" courts in my local market Strutton Ground, for a fiver. I approached the lady who runs the stall and she greeted me with "I know what you want" to which I replied, "You got them just for me" I didn't try them on, too near the office, which was a shame, because they're really too tight. Serve me right! I'd better stop rambling, that train's not going to wait!

F; Thanks for the info on the shop. I'm in town again tomorrow (Weds) so maybe I'll get to drop in and check out the stock. IT's also good to know that the staff are relaxed about males trying on their heels :wink: . Is Horsham park "safe" for dusk-time expeditions do you think?? Always seems fairly quiet during the day if you avoid the area around the leisure centre. Heelson

Thanks for the pix Heel-D. I would most definitely spend the rather small cost of having the heel taps replaced on those boots. The important thing is not how much the boots cost you, but how much you like them.

I most definitely will do. I might have a look at some other shoe repair places as £6.99 per pair is a bit pricey once you add it up for more than one pair. I might see if I can get a deal or something.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Today I went up to Trafalgar Square to see the Ashes celebrations. I went with a colleague and didn't wear heels. Had I done so I'd have had a slightly better chance of seeing something! I popped into that shop (it would have been rude not to) and unfortunately the silver satin boots in a 9M which the staff said were size 6 had been sold. Who bought them?!!!

Yet another trip out today in my Next Ankle Boots (pic in previous post on this subject). Trip into Next of all places :lol: The menswear dept in this store is upstairs, and Next do like this wooden look floring that is very niosy. As I expected, there was no reaction from the few people on the shop floor and as they have a nice long mirror, I could have a good "goosie" at my trouser/boot combo. It looked just fine. So out with my purchases and into WH Smiths for a book. Finally found this after 15 mins of searching and then back to work. The 9cm (3.5" in old money) heels are just a comfortable height for walking. The stroll to the shops is 1/2 mile each way and very pleasant it was too. As an aside to the title of this thread, I have been wearing the boots all day at work without any comment-look etc from fellow employees. So to draw a conclusion to my experience, I would suggest that if you wear heels and trousers just the way ladies do these days, ie hem 1" above the ground, wear heels that are not too high for comfortable distance wear, and most importantly just go about your business as if you were just wearing flat shoes (NB flat does not necessarily mean mens) and therefore not concious about your feet, you will pass without the world noticing. :wink: TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Thighboots2:-) That is just what I do when I'm out street-heeling. I wear my jeans a half to an inch above the floor, just as the ladies do and no one notices. Now I'm beginning to see a trend starting where the girls are rolling their jeans to the top on their knee boots and exposing the entire boot and heel. I'm not quite that brave yet. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have been wearing my trousers like that for more than 10 years. Just a little ways off the floor and have attracted very little attention wearing my heels. I do admit, however, I tend to stick to loafer style, 3" block heeled, black, brown or dark navy blue, shoes, though.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I finally did it - I wore a pair of heels all day - only a small step compared to the strides that some of you are making, but I did it. I wore a pair of 2 1/2 inch block heel ankle boots on a course I was going to. I got to the station and was standing there wondering what I was doing wearing heels on a course. I eventually found the hotel and had to walk across the reception area where the delegates were waiting, having coffee etc. The floor was hard and my shoes were noisy, the soles, not the heels, but noticeable. The course was on qualitative market research and the lecture room was laid out in a horseshoe, and there were mirrors on the front wall, so I was pretty exposed, when I walked the whole heel was visible and sitting down the whole boot was. I sat next to a colleague from my office. She didn't make any comment, neither did anyone else. By lunchtime I was relaxed and started to enjoy myself - by 4pm I was starting to nod. Afterwards I had a nice trying on session in Shellys in High St Kensington - very helpful sales assistant, nice pair of pull on mid calf boots - but too big in a 41. The balls of my feet started to hurt by the end of the day. But it was a worthwhile experience. I wonder if my colleague will say anything. I doubt it, but in case she does I can say that was nothing, and pull out a pair of stilettos from under the desk

Congratulations fog. Sounds like a liberating experience! :wink: Can't wait until the day I can wear heels to work (in a future job not my current one). Fog, can I ask: what is the dress code like at your office? What type of job is it that you do? Marketing/advertising based? How relaxed is it? Shopping: Thursday - I bought a pair of black leather dead cute ankle strap courts from the local PDSA shop during my lunch break. Heel's about 3", block heel and round toe. It's exactly one of the shoes I've been after. Originally Barratts and it cost me £3.99! Very comfortable and cute shoes too - can't wait to wear them out. A true lunchtime shopping experience! :lol: Saturday - had a look around my girlfriend's town in some of the charity shops. Bought 3 pairs of shoes. In Sue Ryder I bought a smashing pair of block heel black leather kneehighs by George. In very good condition, the heel looked as it it hadn't been worn that much. They're a George size 7 (41) but I think George sizes are generally slightly larger anyways. They fit great but I'll have to wear thin socks or stockings with them as thick socks make the boot feel tight. At £7.50 I wasn't really complaining!! ;) In CRUK they had a sale where everyshoe was £2.50. Ended buying two pairs of sandals - black wedge strappy sandals with ankle strap (sort of like a Roman sandal) and a pair of mule flip-flop type sandals with a flower design, both 2" heels. One pair (with the cute flower flipflop design) are too small unfortunately (I should've tried them on properly without fear!) but they're in a very good condition so I will probably sell them on ebay. On Sunday I wore the George boots out around my girlfriend's town and they're pretty inconspicuous boots so nobody noticed. :oops: I'll post up pics of my purchases when I get the pics taken.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's taken a while to get the pictures done but here they are:

Here are the Barratts Courts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are my George Boots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both are in an excellent condition, feel great to wear, especially good when worn with kneehigh tights. ;) Actually, the George boots feel more comfy with tights than socks. More foot room I guess!

Both will be great to street heel in. I'm London next Friday so they may get an outting! (Unless I go with another boot like my Peacocks).

Charity shops are great!! :lol:

And I bought 2 pairs of 3.5 inch Barroque-ish style courts, one tan and one brown, from Primark, £8 each (I liked them both so much I bought them both). I can't wait till I can wear the Primark ones out - the tan ones work so well with a pair of my boot cut jeans! I need to learn to walk better in them first though.

Here are the shoes in question:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see they look good with my jeans. They're a little high for me to street heel properly in them yet but with practice I'm sure I will be able to wear them out in the near future!

This is on top of the shoes I bought during last week. Tan 2 inch block heel mid-calf boots from Peacocks (£22), black 3 inch chunky heeled courts and black 3 inch round toe stillettos both from Shoe Zone, came to £22.98 in total I think. The round toes must be the most comfortable stillettos I've ever worn! :D;) I wore them around the flat last week and I didn't want, or need, to take them off! I want to go out in these in the near future soon - looking forward to it. :lol: I've already been out twice in my Peacocks boots as they're easier to get away with.

Here are the Peacocks boots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the pumps/courts from Shoe Zone:

Round Toe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chunky:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice selection of shoes. I don't think you will have any problem with either pair of boots. The others, however, are kind of feninine. Although you might get some reaction to wearing those in public, I don't believe you will be "troubled" by weaaring them. By all means, chose a pair of heels and wear them on your next trip to London. Judging from remarks our members from London make, people in that city aren't bothered by men in heels....of any description.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Heel-D:-) Your round toe and chunky pics came up as red x's and I couldn't bring them up for a look-see. But all the rest of your pics did come up and what a great collection of shoes and boots that you have recently found. You have some very nice heels to wear in public and there is no question that you should be able to wear them anywhere. The ones that you got from the charity shops are in great shape and no one would ever know where you got them from unless you told them that they came from the charity shops. Cheers--- Dawn HH

My only experience with "charity shops" has been to take donations of our no longer worn clothing and shoes. But, from the condition of the things we've donated, there isn't a thing wrong with purchasing items from that sort of establishment. I know we've donated some very expensive, high label garmets. And, while the styles might be a little dated, they still have a lot of "wear" left in them.

Congratulations fog. Sounds like a liberating experience! ;) Can't wait until the day I can wear heels to work (in a future job not my current one). Fog, can I ask: what is the dress code like at your office? What type of job is it that you do? Marketing/advertising based? How relaxed is it?

Thank you - It was a fun experience - but it wasn't at the office. There was only one of my regular colleagues there and she appeared to be two inches shorter than normal - so I must have been taller to her. She's not mentioned it again though. The only ladies shoes I wear to work are a fairly expensive pair of 1 1/2" ankle boots which have been complimented by my colleagues and a similar size pair of chelsea boots. I'm doing it in small steps!

I work in the public sector in market research. There are a lot of marcomms people on our floor. The dress code is relaxed. I think the most important rule in any work situation is not to be smarter than the boss. Therefore wearing a smart suit and a tie is out. I either wear jeans or formal trousers, only a tie if I'm out of the office on a meeting. I'm paid for what I do, not what I look like.

My only experience with "charity shops" has been to take donations of our no longer worn clothing and shoes. But, from the condition of the things we've donated, there isn't a thing wrong with purchasing items from that sort of establishment. I know we've donated some very expensive, high label garmets. And, while the styles might be a little dated, they still have a lot of "wear" left in them.

That reminds me of a recent lunchtime trip I made about three weeks ago. I went to Notting Hill for a change of scene. There are some interesting vintage clothing and shoe shops around there. I bought a pair of new look ankle boots for £1, walked out of the shop with them, decided they were slightly too big and not at all comfy so took them off, put back my 4" stilletto rear zip ankle boots and found a charity shop and dropped them off at.

I've rarely bought shoes at charity shops. Perhaps I'm a bit funny about it, but I'd rather shoes that only I have worn. On the other hand, and way off topic, charity shops are great for vinyl. I reckon you've got to buy four or five to get a listenable record. I've got absolutely no qualms about re-cycling the remainder. I look on my vinyl collection as a hobby and as long as I approve of the charity I don't mind buying a few duds.

Heel-D, I'm wondering, when are you going to run out of space!!

My last lunchtime trip was on Wednesday - I've been away in France for the weekend so no time to post.

I pushed the boat out and wore light tan ankle boots from Moshulu

Posted Image

Posted Image

(not that I wore them like that more's the pity)

with a slightly rounded 4" blade heel over narrow jeans. The whole heel and half the boot was visible. I got out of the office quickly did a couple of chores first. I had thought of changing right outside and doing them, but since one of the jobs I had to do was get some euros. There's a really cheap place in Victoria street where the spread between buying and selling is only 3 or 4 cents, compared to the 20 you're charged in some places, so theres always a queue and the last thing I wanted was to be observed in the queue. I've got less running power in heels! I went for a stroll down Oxford Street, and took my life in my hands crossing Park Lane, rather than use the subway. The combination of 4" heels and 700 euros in one's pocket tends to make you more carefull.

Anyway, back to the point, I wore heels in and out of various shops inculding HMV where I worked and got no reaction at all. Bit of a dull post really - but that's how it is. There was nothing to buy either, just as well!

Heel-D, I'm wondering, when are you going to run out of space!!

Already have! :D

And to top it off, I've acquired another pair of boots from my local BHF Charity Shop. Basically I bought a pair of slingbacks last wednesday without trying them on (silly me!), they didn't fit so I took them back on Saturday (this particular store allows for refunds). In the process I spotted a nice pair of black square toed block heeled lower calf boots (3" heel) for a pound more than the slingbacks. They looked bigger so I decided to chance it and did an exchange and paid the difference. Result: I now have an extra pair of boots. But nice boots nonetheless! Very comfortable, and they are practically brand new. Looks like the donator didn't even wear them. Another bargain. ;)

I find with charity shops in varies, you can very bad worn out shoes and then you get some practically brand shoes for bargain prices. It's hit and miss.

I'm in London Friday afternoon, so I may look around the shops down there. Not sure what shoes I'm going to wear yet. We'll see... :lol:

BTW - at my workplace it's smart casual with more emphasis on "smart" because for men it's more trousers/smart jeans, shirt, polo shirt or jumper/sweater and smart shoes. For the girls anything goes TBH (except for blue jeans/trainers - but I've seen girls wear denim skirts!). On Fridays it's relaxed and you can wear what you want. Girls definitely have more freedom fashion wise at work.

Heel-D:-) You are right when you say that women have more variety of work clothes than men to choose from, but if we keep plugging away at our cause, someday we may be able to even out the score a little. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 6 months later...

Hi guys I had a great little lunchtime shopping trip today. Out of the office at noon, went for a haircut, and then had a look at what's left of the sale in House of Fraser - formerly known as the army and navy, where I saw these for £39.

Posted Image

I just couldn't leave them in the shop. The staff there I think are getting to know me and they couldn't be more pleasant and hepful. They held them so that I could pick them up after work. When I did I put them on in the shop and went on my way down Victoria Street to the station. I've decided that I must wear things I buy out of the shop, especially if they cost more than a fiver. Also it's been about a fortnight since I've worn heels and was feeling the need. I went to the optician - nothing was said, my specs had broken and saw the man who sold them to me two years ago - he recognised me but paid absolutely no attention to my boots. A girl selling cosmetics in the station noticed my boots and targeted me. Tried to sell me a pot of exfoliant for £20. I told her good skin was more to do with what you eat not by putting stuff on the outside and that my skin looked rough because I'd been eating rubbish and drinking too much recently - and anyway I can't afford £20 for a pot of stuff because I've just spent my cash on these boots - nice aren't they.

I hope nobody from the office saw me - one day they will and I'll be talked about - a bit like the chap somone saw going through dustbins at a railway station. ok I'm rambling.

Those boots are some realy beauties, fogborkenvv! Back from France and you are already indulging your taste in boots, eh? Are those the boots you will wear to the meet?

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.