Lunchtime shopping

Fog

I've had a couple of lunchtime shopping sprees recently, quite near my office which has made it all the more fun. I can't remember really why I was out of the office lunchtime last week or where I went - which probably isn't a very good state of affairs or a good way to start a post which is intended to be a story. I know I'd had a look in the sales in Oxford Street and found nothing, H&M and Top Shop disappointed - I'm always looking for a crisp white blouse with feminine cuffs and black camisoles to wear underneath. .........On Monday this week I got soaked on the way to the station, I ride the mile there on my bike. I thought I'd get less wet in five minutes of cycling than 15 minutes of walking. I was wrong! The only thing for it was the next sale on the way into work. Bought a smart pair of pin stripe trousers, that said next jeans on them but more like the bottom half of a suit. I noticed a ladies shoe sale - had a quick look and coveted a pair of 4" courts for £12.49 but didn't have time to buy them. When I got into work I thought about them and knew I must have them, I also knew it was ages since I've street heeled and was missing it so much. Do you guys sometimes walk to work and see a pair of shoes and wish you had them on. So I brought forward a trip to examine a bus stop in Chealsea that I intended to do in the afternoon to just before lunch - a quick trip to the bank to get cash, I can't use my cards at the moment as I had a scam attempt from a paypal clone and my card suppliers recommended blocking them. Then back to next tried on and bought the shoes - lovely and a white blouse. I've more or less given that to Mrs F, it looks better on her! But we share everything xx. On to the number 11 bus, got out my lovely new shoes, took the label off the bottom and slipped them on. Lovely, my feelings of joy were tempered by the fact that I'd have to get down the stairs. I hate the new straight staircase design on london buses. I think in objective terms people will say a straight stair case is better but on a moving bus a spiral is much easier to negociate because there are far more hand holds. Passing through the King's Road I got off for a look in the shops there. It's much more fun shoe shopping in heels. I'd forgotten the feeling you get on the balls of your feet, must wear heels more often. I am a naughty man - I ended up in Nine - West and succombed to a pair of mid calf boots, with quite a chunky rounded heel pointy toe and heavy stitching. Quite a masculine look and again 70% off. Because of my lack of cash I couldn't buy the stiletto knee boots I saw, I'll have to go back later. So I ended up with a lot to carry. I ended up in Fulham, where I sorted out my bus stop and encountered the two young ladies who complimented me on my footwear, described elsehwere. .... I'll have to tell Mrs. F! and the Next courts are in my desk drawer awaiting my courage to parade around the office. I don't think I will take them home, I'll keep them there and at least if I want to go shopping I've got some nice shoes to put on. I can't get enough of shoe shopping, it's so wonderful, the next best thing is shopping for clothes wearing heels.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good story there. Great to hear from another UK heeler. :wink: I understand the buzz. I bought 5 pairs this weekend. Cute sparkly flat ballet pumps and 2 inch tan courts with weave buckle from New Look, £5 each! Picked up some black ballet flats from a charity shop for £3. And I bought 2 pairs of 3.5 inch Barroque-ish style courts, one tan and one brown, from Primark, £8 each (I liked them both so much I bought them both). I can't wait till I can wear the Primark ones out - the tan ones work so well with a pair of my boot cut jeans! I need to learn to walk better in them first though. This is on top of the shoes I bought during last week. Tan 2 inch block heel mid-calf boots from Peacocks (£22), black 3 inch chunky heeled courts and black 3 inch round toe stillettos both from Shoe Zone, came to £22.98 in total I think. The round toes must be the most comfortable stillettos I've ever worn! :):lol: I wore them around the flat last week and I didn't want, or need, to take them off! I want to go out in these in the near future soon - looking forward to it. :oops: I've already been out twice in my Peacocks boots as they're easier to get away with. All were bought with my High Street Vouchers that I get from work monthly as one of my benefits. (Apart from my Primark ones and the charity shop shoes of course). :D Heel-D ;)

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

4" courts for £12.49 from Next - have you got any pictures? I might have to give up my lunchtime tomorrow for a little shopping trip. Which branch of Next did you get them from? Did they have any in size 8 can you recall?

Sounds like you had a nice time, fogborkenvv. BTW: In the US the first floor of a building is the ground floor because it is the first suspended floor above the basement. The first flight would be second floor because you have to go up one flight.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

With no basement, the ground floor IS the first floor, logically. In many hotels, it is labeled the ground floor or the lobby floor with a G or an L in the elevator (lift to you types). Of course, some hotels have their lobbies in another floor. But, the next floor up from the ground floor is still the second floor, which seems logical to me.

Morning Guys, I'm sorry I haven't got any pictures, I'm a bit of a luddite, no digital camera and a computer that's too old to have broadband. I was saving up my photos to send them off and get a disc back and see what I could do with it, but Mrs F sent them off without me knowing and didn't get a disk, there were some nice shoe pictures too. A picture's worth a thousand words, but in one sentence my new courts are round toed, black and with a stiletto heel that curves gracefully forward from the top to bottom. I bought size 7 which Next have down as 41 but they had 42's as well. I wore them as far as the King's Road but when I bought my boots I wore them. BTW smudgur the branch was Victoria Street, just next to Westminster Cathedral.

• 2 weeks later...

>>snip<<

This is on top of the shoes I bought during last week. Tan 2 inch block heel mid-calf boots from Peacocks (£22), black 3 inch chunky heeled courts and black 3 inch round toe stillettos both from Shoe Zone, came to £22.98 in total I think. >>snip<<

Heel-D :wink:

snap Heel-D - I also found those tan 2" boots (or perhaps nearer 2.5" inch) from Peacocks in the middle of last month!! :>::>:

they are a sort of round toed cowboyish boot though the harness thing is a bit braidy; I ran the stretcher up and down quickly just to even out the feel and start to get them a bit more supple.

At the same time I also got the dark brown almond toed 3.5" ones too. They are rather like the ones irish Mary, the first evictee from Big Brother UK, though hers would have been the real McCoy in leather. These are to try out the idea before any extravagant purchase.

I think these cheap plastic chinese/vietnamese imports come farily oversized and there are few fit problems with them, I bet the real leather ones are much narrower. Either way, will need to be braver to use the second ones out.

Chat again soon, good to check in with you. :lol:

/I

snap Heel-D - I also found those tan 2" boots (or perhaps nearer 2.5" inch) from Peacocks in the middle of last month!! :>::>:

they are a sort of round toed cowboyish boot though the harness thing is a bit braidy; I ran the stretcher up and down quickly just to even out the feel and start to get them a bit more supple.

Those boots fitted me perfectly. Although it isn't leather, they're still good quality for the price. Plus they're easy to get away with. Just had to have them! :lol:

Chat again soon, good to check in with you. ;)

Nice to check in with you too Ionic. Nice to chat to a fellow UK heeler. :oops:

went to the ironmonger/tool shop in the tan ones yesterday - a mission for heel tips repair :wink: first time out in daylight hours with these now that I have some long beige pants/trousers, nice quiet heel too so that's handy. even chatted with the mechanic just up the street about all the recent smashed windows on cars parked on the road next to his workshop. it's a worrry if it's busy and I have to park further along. /I

/I

TBH Ionic, no one will ever notice those heels anyway. They're not really that femine looking at a quick glance. I've been to the supermarker twice while wearing them and no one noticed. They're on show in my bedroom (my wardrobe's full!) and my mum hasn't even made a comment (I'm still living at home but moving out to live with my girlfriend within 6 months though). :wink:

TBH Ionic, no one will ever notice those heels anyway. They're not really that femine looking at a quick glance. I've been to the supermarker twice while wearing them and no one noticed. :wink:

so have you turned up your leg cuffs up 9-10inches to show them off then?? :lol:

/I

/I

so have you turned up your leg cuffs up 9-10inches to show them off then?? :oops:

/I

Nope, prefer to where them under me bootcut jeans. But I'm not very afraid of them being seen. I'm probably happier knowing I'm wearing them (and any high heels for that matter) rather than people needing to see them! :lol:

Any more London shopping exploits to tell us about? I did check the Next sale in a couple of outlets, but nothing decent left in a size 8UK (42EUR)

thanks for mentioning that, I was thinking it might be worth looking at the final clearances. I guess all the other blokes have got there first!!! :rofl:

/I

/I

Went into Swindon on Saturday with my girlfriend (I didn't wear any heels as it was raining and I didn't wanna slip). I didn't buy anything but we both tried on some shoes in Peacocks and the Ravel outlet (Ravel's size 8s are unfortunately too tight for me :oops: And there were bargains!). It was fun trying on some heeled shoes and boots (seeing autumn is near), definitely saw some styles I liked. I bought my girlfriend some purple suede chunky heeled pumps - which she really loved. :wink: I will go back to Peacocks possibly for some shoes/boots soon - but am I actually tempted to spend a bit more and get some proper leather black stilletto boots. Also I've seen some shoes I want on the Additions website which I might order tomorrow. On the trying on front, it was dead easy and no-one even batted an eyelid - even the 2 teenage girls who were snooping around the shoes. This ladies' shoe wearing lark is getting easier! :lol:

Heel-D:-) It sounds like both you and your GF had a great time trying on heeled shoes and boots together. It is so nice to have someone to do this with and your very lucky to have a GF that accepts you wearing heels and is O.K. with that activity. Congrats! This is an activity that you can look forward to enjoying again and again in the future. That's great. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Yup, sure is. :wink: She's helping me become less shy when it comes to trying on shoes in stores. Forgot to mention we also went into the Jane Shilton outlet where I tried on some very cute pink round toe pumps (which fitted very well) and some killer blue stilletto slingbacks. Also, tried on a strange looking pair of pumps which had string around the rim, which were too loose for me.

Smudgeur Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more London shopping exploits to tell us about? I did check the Next sale in a couple of outlets, but nothing decent left in a size 8UK (42EUR)

I go shopping about once a week - a couple of weeks ago I had my next courts in my bag but didn't find a quiet place to put them on. Oxford St tube station had a few thuggish looking people hanging around so I thought better of changing in public. Shame - also the end of the sales didn't have anything worth buying. I'm sure I spotted a fellow male heel wearer in Dolcis Oxford Street. Had I had my courts on I might have introduced myself. He was browsing the new stock quite intensely.

That's the preamble to yesterday's shopping. I was determined to wear my pumps - next's size 41 is small - they're more like a 7. At least they're snug. So I put them on on the district line and changed at Westminster. I didn't recon on the metal floor in the interchange. I was so noticeable click click click - then I clocked a short haired young man in a replica football strip - isn't it funny how people of my age associate short hair with anti-social behaviour?!

I had a fairly uneventful browse up Oxford St from Bond St tube to Marble arch and back to Victoria on the bus. I didn't want to take them off, but sat on the back seat of the bus in the centre.

I had a strange double take in Selfridges I noticed the eyes of an assistant move back and forth to my feet about four times as I passed.

There was nothing to spend my hard earned cash on. And a major disappointment I was expecting to go back to a really cheap clearence shop where I'd bought a couple of tops for a fiver - one for me and one for mrs f - but it was closed - I suppose it was a closing sale. I had to content myself with buying her a pair of trousers in H&M although I said they were for me.

I expect I'll be out again -

fogborkenvv, Isn't it fun catching peoples silent reactions to your shoes? It's such a shock to their system, they're left utterly speechless.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Cool outing there fogborkenvv. :wink:

Well, I'll add my weekend experience.

Wore my Peacocks 2" tan block heeled boots out on Saturday with my girlfriend. Went to Clarks in her home town first and they had the shoes I was after on the sale rack -

Posted Image

Pr!vo by Clarks "Petra Sling" - an interesting shoe as it's a sporty mary-jane slingback pump! All my favourite shoes in one! :) The upper is leather, the sole and bar are rubber. The heel is 2"(5cm). They're actually more of a light grey and red than white and red. They were a size 7 (41) - I'm usually a ladies 8 - (I wear male 42s but without socks they are generally loose), but I tried on the display shoe and it fit pretty well so I asked the sales assistant for the other shoe. She brings out the other shoe and to my delight they fit just right. :lol: On the big side for a 7 - an 8 (which they never had) would've probably been too loose on the slingback - Clarks sizing must be the same for male and female I guess as most 41s are female 8s elsewhere. They're a little snug by the toes but I can wriggle my toes and they're very comfortable and sporty looking. The sales assistant who served me was very helpful and didn't bat an eyelid - the other teenagers working there start to giggle with each other by the till but the girl who served me remained very professional. Obviously the staff in there on that day were Saturday teenage staff who probably aren't used to a man trying on a ladies shoe in the store. One male sales assistant kept looking at my feet when I walked in (he was either thinking it was weird I was wearing ladies boots or thinking how brave I was! ;)). So, I bought the shoes for a tenner! Even though I was being stared at by the staff the experience gave me a buzz and it will make me feel even more brave when I try on shoes again as I want to get some leather boots and shoes from Clarks in the future. Plus I got the shoes I wanted! ;)

So, then we went into Newport (S Wales). Apart from two girls (that I'm sure noticed my boots) driving off in a car when we were walking into town, no-one (that I noticed) even took a look at my boots. We tried on some shoes in Topshop, the sales girls were looking over as me and my girlfriend were trying on some shoes on the sale rack, but nothing was said plus the store was nearly empty as it was closing time just about.

Then in the evening we went to the cinema and supermarket, and again no-one noticed. By then my feet were hurting from all the walking around we did so sitting down in the cinema was a relief! :oops:

A great adventure in my boots and on sunday I wore my flat mary-jane ballet pumps (which I've worn out a few times before) ;) on the drive home - which my girlfriend thinks look very cute on me. Can't wait for my next outing in another pair of my "alternative" shoes! :D

Forborkenvv:-) It sounds like you had a good time out shopping and trying things on. Too bad that you couldn't have brought home a trophy or two. At least it got you out and about. Maybe next time. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I think this thread is the chunky and lower heeled refuge from the stilleto guys, Jeff, Shafted et.al. .... :lol::oops:;) well I went out on a mission today with shoe horn in pocket; I donned my Peacocks tidy wedge loafers because it was chucking with rain and they're plastic so just wipe clean. first stop was the Clarks factory outlet {armed with my trusty shoehorn}, through security made me bag my wet brolly before proceeding. the half rack of size 8s was pretty disappointing as usual and a young afro-carribean girl was trying on 8s. I tried on a pair of tapered chisel toe wedge loafers with a wimpy heel probably under 2" but they were to long though not very wide. Just as Heel-D observed, I do think Clarks sizes run quite large as I got some boots in 7.5 some time back and that surprised me then. But they had even fewer in 7.5 than 8 and the 7s were probably getting a bit small. frankly 'discounted' to 20GBPs is hardly a tempation with my bottom fishing of better stuff on eBay so I moved on. passed on by Peacocks this time as I pretty much mined them out already :wink: - anyway the mission aim was the charity (thrift) shop with some high loafers and lace up booties in 8s I'd spotted on Saturday when it was a bit busy. the loafers are those square toe chunky rubber heels from Barratts - a full 4.25" with a 1" platform - you know the 'schoolgirl' type. well they were nice and wide, even leather too, and a bargain at 2.75GBP; the brown lace up flat boots were rather worn, pointed in style and turned out rather too narrow a fit with that pointy toe box so best left. some round toe calf boots labeled 8 suffered big toe strike against the end so non-starters before considering how horrid they were otherwise... well the loafers have had an immediate outing on my evening walk. it wasn't late so demanded the longest trousers which survived the gaze of several groups of young 'ethnic' males on the perambulations. seem a success and better than a plastic pair a bit similar that are just a bit too close fitting.

/I

I heard that Ionic. :wink: You never know who's eavesdropping.

Guys,

Seeing at Next crops up quite a bit in this thread, and I can't remember if this has been said anywhere else, however, it certainly won't hurt to mention it again.

Next are now going upto size UK9(EU43). I take a size 43.5-44 shoe, so as they have a nice free try at home service with free carriage, I though I might order these

Posted Image

and whilst I was at it, I thought I might try these too, after all the returns service is free,

Posted Image

Next also have a next-day delivery service, gotta say this is impressive. So they arrived lunchtime today. I was a little apprehensive that they would be too tight and I would have to send them back. To my delight, they both fit beautifully without tightnesss. Both are made of soft, suple leather. Joy, I have found a source of shoes that fit and are not from a fettish source.

OK, here is a quickie photo album showing the two pairs of boots

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thighboots2@btinternet.com/my_photos

The first pair are ankle length boots with side zip. Plain leather without any detail. A nice rounded toebox and worn with correct length trousers, ie just breaking as they touch the shoe, look as if they are perfectly normal gents shoes sticking out of the trousers. The length in the toebox is generous, so my toes don't come near the front at all. You want a 3.5" heel that is comfortable, look no further. Bonus is they are Italian made.

Turning to the Trouser Boot. The heel is much further forward that the Next photo suggests, however, they are still nice to walk in. Again nice soft leather, but this time they are from Vietnam. The heeltip is plastic, so quite stealthy on hard surfaces. The toebox is current fashion, long and pointed, and has a centre seam detail. Again, there is plenty of room in there for my size 43.5 feet. but the "winkle-picker" style for men has yet to come around to be common. However, they will be nice for the next heel-meet in London. I expect that Next will be on the route somewhere whenever the London heelmeet gets arranged.

So there you go. Two super buys. :wink:

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Oh wow! I really like the first pair of boots! I like it how its really simple looking but yet has some style. You look pretty good wearing the slacks over your ankle boots. I wonder where I can find the same pair in North America? Or if they have a similar style but knee-length? ... Time to do some researching!

BootBoy09. Agreed, that is what attracted me too them in the first place. The slacks are 2" longer than I normally wear with standard mens shoes. Now should this sort of styling be introduced in mens fashions shows, I think it would easily take off. Walking in the boots is very comfortable. Wore them home last night and the block heel is nice and stable being 1.25" wide. I just wish some of the up and coming designers would look back to the 60s & 70's as there were some nice shoes specifically designed for men and our wider feet that would be just super to have today. We live in hope. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Thighboot2:-) You have a couple of pairs of boots there that are definate winners to steet-heel in. Especially the pair with the block heels and more rounded toe box. Stealth-heels! Cheers--- Dawn HH